WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Camper trailer life...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Curious those of you that have kids and a camper trailer in socal or anywhere southwest are doing with your trailers? Wife and I are kicking around the idea of getting something 24'ish with bunks and a queen. Its about all we can fit in our driveway (we would have to shove 4 cars and a trailer into the driveway for street sweeping) and I'm not gonna store it in a storage unit to rot away. We've gone on a few trips to various campgrounds with the kiddos and they seem to have a blast. KOA out in the middle of desert hot springs had all kinds of activities for them, hot springs fed swimming pool, etc. We also live right near Bolsa Chica state beach so pulling it a mile to chill at the beach all day would be nice as well. Wife has grand ideas of pulling it all the way to Kansas or Kentucky to see her family and that doesnt really sound like much fun to me. The inlaws are trying to find campground sites with their camper triailer and with the covid and them shutting down, to people not being able to do anything else, they all seem booked solid. Do you take it camping in the woods? Is it harder to find spots to accomodate a 24' trailer and truck versus a small RV? You ever take it just for a place to relax or eat for a kids sports event or anything like that? We've seen someone take theirs to a park where their kid was having a birthday party.

Something like this:

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Our family started with a tent then graduated to an old well-preserved 19' Nomad. We drug that sucker all over the Rocky Mountain states and used the hell out of it. Graduated up to a "Giant" 27' Wilderness with all the bells and whistles. We continued traveling with that and took it everywhere west of Nebraska. It was roomy and worked out great for our family. Parents then moved into a big fifth wheel which they kept for a few years down in Parker. They finally sold that and have a mobile home on the water that we LOVE! I have a 36' fifth wheel that we also use, but it's been in storage for the past few years since we have access to my parent's river pad. So its just been sitting and only gets used once in a blue moon.

They are a load of fun and will create memories for you and your entire family. Do it if you can. Yes it will cost money, but what doesn't??

NicPaus

Reaction score
Most cities will require it to be parked behind a 6' gate or fence. Check with them first. Storage is $$$ by me $250 a month outdoor.

We had a 25' growing up. Went to Iowa and back to visit family. Had the bunk beds to fit all us kids. Was a hell of a upgrade from our pop tent trailer.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Good luck on your search the market is bonkers. The bunkhouse models are great for kids and give extra storage when going down the road

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Growing up, the river was our vacation in the summer so we towed our 21' then 24' trailers there for the most part. Sunshine Resort was awesome, and then we moved over to River Lodge. We'd store it there over the summer on the pad, or in the storage facilities onsite. Once winter hit, it was towed back home to my dad's house and we'd take it out to the desert for riding. We use to do tent camping in coves in Blythe, but as we got older, A/C was a must.

We sold the desert and water toys, so the trailer sits at my pop's house and we tow it to the beach for family campouts. "San Clemente and San Mateo for the most part, but we have been down to the strand in San Diego, which sucked IMO." I was just in San Diego this weekend, and it looks like people take their trailers out to the park in Mission Bay for the day, which looks pretty cool.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Might want to check your city's street parking laws. When I was in HB, anything in the street over 15 feet including the tow vehicle was game. There was no such thing as even loading it in the street (<20 minutes. Serious), in front of your own house. You had to pull a permit each time, good for only 3 days at a time and it had to be hitched to a vehicle. They tagged me so often we were on a first name basis.

If cited, do your homework and fight it. Municipal codes often rely on state definitions. Once they hit my boat for the same CA Vehicle Code violation as a travel trailer when I had my boat in the street. City lost on appeal, but it's still a pain.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Might want to check your city's street parking laws. When I was in HB, anything in the street over 15 feet including the tow vehicle was game. There was no such thing as even loading it in the street (<20 minutes. Serious), in front of your own house. You had to pull a permit each time, good for only 3 days at a time and it had to be hitched to a vehicle. They tagged me so often we were on a first name basis.

If cited, do your homework and fight it. Municipal codes often rely on state definitions. Once they hit my boat for the same CA Vehicle Code violation as a travel trailer when I had my boat in the street. City lost on appeal, but it's still a pain.

thats why i need something around 24' so it can sit in my driveway and still sneak a car along side it. HB requires a "loading permit" for anything over 22' or a vehicle+trailer. Doesnt state anything about it behind a fence. I wouldnt be leaving it on the street, thats ghetto. That trailer I listed above sits at 28' which I think I could make work if I relocate a bush and push it all the way up to the house. I've noticed anything smaller than 24 they dont have a bed and bunk combo.

HB said:
Residents may obtain a permit to park an oversized vehicle at no cost for no more than 3 days at a time, 12 days in month, 144 days in a calendar year. Permits are granted to allow the loading and unloading of oversized vehicles only in front of their home.

gqchris

Reaction score
thats why i need something around 24' so it can sit in my driveway and still sneak a car along side it. HB requires a "loading permit" for anything over 22' or a vehicle+trailer. Doesnt state anything about it behind a fence. I wouldnt be leaving it on the street, thats ghetto. That trailer I listed above sits at 28' which I think I could make work if I relocate a bush and push it all the way up to the house. I've noticed anything smaller than 24 they dont have a bed and bunk combo.

I am in HB also, RV is ok in Driveway, just not street.

I have owned every possible RV combination, and I am really happy with my 22' Minnie Winnie Class C. Overhead bunk up top, folding Dinette, and Queen in the back. Hell of a lot easier to just jump in an go. The trailer hook up game got old to me. But a trailer is one less motor to worry about, so it all has its benefits. I hate though that my RV is getting baked in the Sun. I had it ceramic coated, hasnt done shit. I hate covers because they are dangerous as hell to put on and off. I need an RV garage! LOL

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I grew up with my family having a RV. Went from an Apache hard side pop-up towed by the family Chevy Celebrity station wagon to a '85 Dolphin camper in a '85 F-250 (would been the shit in '85...... about 10 years before we got it), then on to a 21' Wanderer Wagon toy hauler then a '12 rage'n 5th wheel toy hauler.

Most all of my fondest childhood memories are of camping trips with the family. Most were in that Dolphin Camper with all 5 of us in it. I am SUPER anxious to get one of our own to start making more of those memories with my kids. I have been looking at bunk model travel trailers like crazy over the last few years so let me know of you have any questions. I would suggest getting a model with a separate bedroom and as big of a fresh water tank as you can find.

And btw,..... its a travel trailer, not a camper trailer. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fmo24

Reaction score
And btw,..... its a travel trailer, not a camper trailer. Lol!

Only in Ca. Everywhere Else around The country I hear people call trailers campers. Kind of like pop or soda lol

81Sprint

Reaction score
the RV market is definitely crazy, friend of mine is finance manager at camping world and says he is slammed. we went from a 21' toyhauler to a 34' fifth wheel and love to go dry camping, mainly cause I don't want to park 20' from the next guy. This is my favorite spot in the mountains 30 minutes from Vegas.

Potosi pano.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Only in Ca. Everywhere Else around The country I hear people call trailers campers. Kind of like pop or soda lol

Except the industry itself. When you go on a manufacturer's website it doesn't refer to any type as a "camper trailer". And I don't hear anybody calling them that here in AZ either.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Curious those of you that have kids and a camper trailer in socal or anywhere southwest are doing with your trailers? Wife and I are kicking around the idea of getting something 24'ish with bunks and a queen. Its about all we can fit in our driveway (we would have to shove 4 cars and a trailer into the driveway for street sweeping) and I'm not gonna store it in a storage unit to rot away. We've gone on a few trips to various campgrounds with the kiddos and they seem to have a blast. KOA out in the middle of desert hot springs had all kinds of activities for them, hot springs fed swimming pool, etc. We also live right near Bolsa Chica state beach so pulling it a mile to chill at the beach all day would be nice as well. Wife has grand ideas of pulling it all the way to Kansas or Kentucky to see her family and that doesnt really sound like much fun to me. The inlaws are trying to find campground sites with their camper triailer and with the covid and them shutting down, to people not being able to do anything else, they all seem booked solid. Do you take it camping in the woods? Is it harder to find spots to accomodate a 24' trailer and truck versus a small RV? You ever take it just for a place to relax or eat for a kids sports event or anything like that? We've seen someone take theirs to a park where their kid was having a birthday party.

Something like this:

We have a 24' Bunkhouse, it works for us, 6 & 8 year old girls and the wife and I. It's a Keystone (2400BH), super lite (7000k fully loaded) and a easy tow (tires spaced out further) I love the trailer, but I honesty regret buying new, I wish I would have went a little bigger, and save a few grand and bought used. We had grand Ideas too about going to the beach on Friday's but that never happened, too hard to get a spot, but further north like El Capitan was never a problem. Easy to get a trailer of that size in and out, We decided to rent a spot year round in Havasu Landing as we always just ended up there. The bunks are big enough that a friend and his wife slept on the bottom bunk (they were knocking it out and broke the table that turns into a bed), not ideal, but worked in a pinch. We did the park birthday thing too, worked great, also it was great when we did have it at the house, it was like an extension of our living space. Like the others have said, go for it if you can, the kids will love it, makes life easier for you and the wife. Good Luck!

HitIt

Reaction score
Before you go all in, make sure there aren't any rules about how far it needs to be from the curb. Where I live, driveways are ok but the trailer needs to be set back 13 feet from the face of the curb.

And if you can stand it, wait another year until all of the people that are buying RVs in a frenzy right now get tired of not begin able to get reservations, packing/cleaning/etc., and paying for storage to start dumping them.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Before you go all in, make sure there aren't any rules about how far it needs to be from the curb. Where I live, driveways are ok but the trailer needs to be set back 13 feet from the face of the curb.

And if you can stand it, wait another year until all of the people that are buying RVs in a frenzy right now get tired of not begin able to get reservations, packing/cleaning/etc., and paying for storage to start dumping them.
There is going to be a huge supply of used RV's in the very near future!

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
Plenty of camping in the IE. Lake Perris to run the boat or seadoo, Lake skinner or Lake Hemet to do some fishing, and Idylwild if you need to get out of the heat. Don’t know about storage options though. I’ve paid for a storage (that sucks), and we have had RV parking. I always just figured that we no matter the toys, you have to be willing to make that payment even if it’s sitting in the driveway for 6 months out of the year.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
So I've been doing a *LOT* of research and taking measurements in my driveway to make sure it fits and I can fit all the other cars with street sweeping, etc.

Any tips on actually getting one would be great. I'm seeing some prices online from dealers out of state for the models I've picked out that are REALLY low to what I was expecting. I'm thinking that all the dealers on SoCal especially right now arent going to be able to touch it, would it be better to purchase out of state? Is it the same sales tax wise as a vehicle?

Last edited:

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
So I've been doing a *LOT* of research and taking measurements in my driveway to make sure it fits and I can fit all the other cars with street sweeping, etc.

Any tips on actually getting one would be great. I'm seeing some prices online from dealers out of state for the models I've picked out that are REALLY low to what I was expecting. I'm thinking that all the dealers on SoCal especially right now arent going to be able to touch it, would it be better to purchase out of state? Is it the same sales tax wise as a vehicle?
When we were shopping for one pricing was interesting. One dealer told me several places are way above MSRP and getting it no questions asked. I found a $7,700 difference 4 hours away on a new unit. Same specs, year, trim level etc. That's when we took a hard look at used which is equally interesting

satellitemike

Reaction score

When we were shopping for one pricing was interesting. One dealer told me several places are way above MSRP and getting it no questions asked. I found a $7,700 difference 4 hours away on a new unit. Same specs, year, trim level etc. That's when we took a hard look at used which is equally interesting
Prices are going to vary and get cheaper the further East you look as most are built back East, its not cheap to transport those things West. You should be able to find what you want online at a price that should be doable, you just need to figure a way to make the trip to pick it up a small vacation and make a stop or two on your way home to break it in. I have been looking to replace my TT and the supply is at historic lows and demand is thru the roof, I think I wont be buying anything for the next 6 months until the supply comes back up. Also think the used market will be flooded within a year as the people buying right now are first timers and many will figure out it isn't what they thought and get tired of the payments and storage costs! Good luck with you search.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, how level is your driveway? The trailer needs to be pretty damn level to use just about anything in it and even if it's stored for too long on a significant slope is not good for the structure of the trailer.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

707dog

Reaction score
@ka0tyk i was going through this scenario right now even tho in a another trailer thread i said i went out and dropped $$ on new air mattresses we were just going to stay tent camping... fast forward to 11 hrs ago i purchased a used 2015 jayco 23bh same layout as the one you posted table is a little smaller pick it up tuesday morning but shhhh 🤫the family thinks i totally trashed the whole trailer idea going to surprise them.

prices are nuts for new and used rv/trailers, used only being a couple g's less than new or even more

FYI: best RV in turlock they have a nice bunkhouse trailer shipment getting dropped off wednesday their was 2 bullet BH i was going to go look at, it will be their last shipment till late august. the guy said trailers will be in short supply for while as some of the vendors for manufacturers have not came back on line or only with partial staff.

Last edited:

JB in so cal

Reaction score

Used. Auction. some with damage. Some repo missing stuff. Interesting to watch the auction prices on some stuff. If nothing else it's a time killer...

ka0tyk

Reaction score
After much research I'm torn between two models...

wolf pup 16bhs 21.5' x 84" 26-23-23ga 377lb/tongue 3877/gvwr
pros: countertop, full fridge, access door to lower bunk, price
cons: small dinette, cheaper build quality

ImageHandler.ashx

ibex 19mbh 24 x 88" 30-30-30ga 465lb/tongue 7465/gvwr
pros: all aluminum construction, higher ground clearance, dual axle, insulated, murphy bed, vacuum, storage in bathroom, sink in bathroom, convection microwave
cons: no storage under bed, weight

ImageHandler.ashx

The ibex has some pretty nice features... Ive been in a bunch of trailers and they all are mdf and tissue paper. The ibex is an all aluminum construction with a nice outside skin. But that comes at a higher price, and a lot more weight. Do we go the cheapo git r done special, or a higher end model? Theres a bunch of other models but after looking at their layouts/configurations theres a bunch of things we like/dont like. Such as having a full fridge, etc. I guess it depends on what we can actually get.

satellitemike

Reaction score

Used. Auction. some with damage. Some repo missing stuff. Interesting to watch the auction prices on some stuff. If nothing else it's a time killer...
Been watching cranky ape for years, they have some good stuff now and then. Only issue is they are usually in Minnesota.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
After much research I'm torn between two models...

wolf pup 16bhs 21.5' x 84" 26-23-23ga 377lb/tongue 3877/gvwr
pros: countertop, full fridge, access door to lower bunk, price
cons: small dinette, cheaper build quality

ImageHandler.ashx

ibex 19mbh 24 x 88" 30-30-30ga 465lb/tongue 7465/gvwr
pros: all aluminum construction, higher ground clearance, dual axle, insulated, murphy bed, vacuum, storage in bathroom, sink in bathroom, convection microwave
cons: no storage under bed, weight

ImageHandler.ashx

The ibex has some pretty nice features... Ive been in a bunch of trailers and they all are mdf and tissue paper. The ibex is an all aluminum construction with a nice outside skin. But that comes at a higher price, and a lot more weight. Do we go the cheapo git r done special, or a higher end model? Theres a bunch of other models but after looking at their layouts/configurations theres a bunch of things we like/dont like. Such as having a full fridge, etc. I guess it depends on what we can actually get.
I'd highly recommend renting a trailer that at least have similar layouts to each and going for a weekend. They are both fairly small. 4 people would really feel crammed in either one of those. You'll definitely want it to be big enough so you're comfortable in it while all you are in there cause you're not always going to have perfect weather.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Something like this:

Tell ya what, your peeps are all hanging at the Dunes near ya this week. I was there seeing rv friends today and all the families are in for this coming week I guess. Good luch with your search.... looks like a fun getaway lifestyle.