WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can a vendors or other resident expert post us a "How To" on tuning a car audio system? And a ?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I am, finally, getting around to putting a system in my 2007 Dodge Ram crew cab.
This is the last truck I am going to put any kind of aftermarket audio in, barring a lotto win.
I have purchased the following gear, all but the amp and the sub are new.
Kenwood Excelon DNX 697S Head unit, with a XM tuner if that matters.
4 Kicker Q Class 41QSS654 speakers
JL Audio HD900 6 channel Amp
Under rear seat enclosure with Kicker 10 comp VR subwoofer

The head unit is in, the front speakers are in the stock locations in the doors. There is a plate that allows the tweeters to be located a bit higher than the mids.
The rear speakers are going to go in rear the doors. I am considering putting the tweeters for the rears into the B pillar, since in this truck the heads of the front seat occupants are almost next to the B pillar. If not there, they will go in the rear doors, which are mounted higher than the front speakers.
The insides of all 4 doors and the rear wall of the cab have been deadened with wannabe dynamat.
In the past I have always put the component front tweets in the A pillar, I like the soundstage that arrangement provides, but it isn't possible with this truck due to other factors.

Is it worth putting the tweeters from the rears in the B pillar?

Obviously, I am not going for the big booming bass with this system, I just want the lows filled in to complete the music, if that makes sense. I listen to CD's Sirius XM, classic rock, Jazz, and country...and by country I don't mean the crap on the top 40 fm station, LOL. As soon as I figure it out I am going to re-rip all my stuff with the FLAC format, since this head unit will play it and I hate the loss that MP3 does.
Also, can anyone give an old guy a good elementary school education on tuning this system when it is done? Someone with experience with this particular head unit would be a real blessing. My eldest son is 2 hours away, he used to do this stuff for me.

Thanks for reading.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
I would avoid tweeters in B pillar unless you attenuate the hell out of them. They will be way too much for driver/front seat passenger.

Front stage is everything, finding a way to get those in front you would be ideal if possible. If its not, I think running a directional tweeter that can be mounted like a coax would be the second choice.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Thanks, I had not considered the attenuation issue. That idea is out, LOL.
I am going to mount them temporarily anyway, in the panel just above the mids in the front doors, and will put the rears in the co-axial mount as the speakers in the rear doors are about knee height or a bit more when seated in the rear seats. I am going to take a second look at the sail panel option and see what I can dream up when this project is wrapped up.
I really liked the sound stage with them in the A pillars in my Ford, I guess coming up with a mounting bracket like I did back then may be an option.