WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

can am vs rzr

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Im sure there are 9 million different opinions but lets hear em. Which is better and why? Or what are advantages and disadvantages on both.

I had a 16 4 seat 1000 rzr. My dislikes
Width in the cab. With 2 adults you were almost touching shoulders.
Rear leg room: not that i would sit back there but the space in the back was really tight where i think a tall rear passenger would have there knees against the front seats. Weather its true or not, one guy told me you can take care of that by upgrading to prp seats.
Suspension: the a arms and tabs are cheesy. Your one wrong move away from folding the front end under yourself. If i were to purchase another rzr that would be the first thing removed.

Power: not really an issue for dirt riding. Glamis on the other hand you had to hammer the throttle to run a good pace. I dont see going to glamis anymore but still wonder if the turbo or the can am are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
They both seem to be pretty equal on power, Turbo VS Turbo. Can Am has a stronger frame, but the stock front A-arms are pretty weak. Nobody in our group has had an issue with either breaking arms or suspension, we desert ride but don't beat on them too hard. The Can am has a lower center of gravity for sure, and feels like it handles alot better at speed. The Rzr turns quicker and feels more flick-able, and has way better viability due to the upright seating position and height. Can am has more leg room and feels a little wider, but you also have to slouch to get in and out and climb down "in" to the car. The Rzr feels like a big camping chair, great for cruising and partying lol. It can pull double duty as a campground golf cart more comfortably. They both will hurt you if you flip them! Rzr is easier to service. Can am seems to be built better.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Im sure there are 9 million different opinions but lets hear em. Which is better and why? Or what are advantages and disadvantages on both.

I had a 16 4 seat 1000 rzr. My dislikes
Width in the cab. With 2 adults you were almost touching shoulders.
Rear leg room: not that i would sit back there but the space in the back was really tight where i think a tall rear passenger would have there knees against the front seats. Weather its true or not, one guy told me you can take care of that by upgrading to prp seats.
Suspension: the a arms and tabs are cheesy. Your one wrong move away from folding the front end under yourself. If i were to purchase another rzr that would be the first thing removed.

Power: not really an issue for dirt riding. Glamis on the other hand you had to hammer the throttle to run a good pace. I dont see going to glamis anymore but still wonder if the turbo or the can am are better.

Turbo S has the same interior space as your old 1000. Probably best all around handling though.

Aftermarket seats will not yield more leg room. What does help is getting lowered front seat bases. They are also reclined more. This gives the rear seats another inch or 2 of legroom, and a more comfortable seat position up front.

Pro XP is probably the roomiest, but not a 72” car. I feel this may be the best choice in another year or 2 when they come out with the 72” version.

Can Am has good interior room. It will ride well, but is least nimble in 4 seat trim. Feels like a bus in tight spots.

All have high and low points. All have different weak and strong components. I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

Last edited:

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
For us it came down to front and rear leg room which the can am had more of. I do like the lower center of gravity and the width (both obviously have 72 wides now).

Can am rear visibility sucks and backing up is a bitch. Other than that we love it.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Can am has a lower center of gravity at stock height. For a great, all around comfort feel of the car without bottoming out with 4 passengers, you’ll need to raise it 4 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
I was totally sold on the rzr and then I took my wife to the sand show in costa mesa, she liked the can am better. Luckily my buddy works at a can am dealer.

go sit in each car and see how you like each.

the can am is a bigger overall car, esp the max, it has a few weak points but they all do. Frt lower a arms, rear radius rods are the most common weak points on the can am. On the can am max go with as big a tire as possible for the ground clearance. And diffidently go with a 72 wide car.

i don’t like that you can’t see out the back of the can am, backing up can be difficult if your in a tight area or a parking lot, I do have a back up camera and use it.
my car has plenty of power and is just fun to drive, I love to drift it in turns. Suspension is great and the prp seats, I added are comf.

i like the way the rzr is laid out and has more room for cargo in the trunk area, spare tire fits perfectly above the cargo area & you can see out the back. I would only get the rzr in a 4 seat like 99inch, the 2 seater is way to short of a wheel base like 90inch

the 2 seat can am is 102 inch and the maxxxxxx is just long, like really long.

in tight trails the rzr does really well.
wide open washes the can am does really well

the new 2 seat Kawasaki looks promising but might take a couple years to see what they do to improve it

jbird

Reaction score
Pros and cons to both. You really need to drive both and see which one you like best.

I really like the look of the Can Am and thought that was the one I was going to buy until I drove it. I am short and sitting behind the wheel I felt like I could not see over the front end as well as I could in the RZR. Can Am seats are definitely down lower where as the RZR sits you up higher. This was better for me.

I went with the 4 seater and the Can Am is a bit longer than the RZR 4s. Can Am wheel base 135", RZR wheel base 117". I use this in the desert and figured the shorter wheel base would be better suited for this use.

Also liked the built in ride command and DYNAMIX Active Suspension System on the RZR.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I had a 15 1000 XP 4 non turbo for a couple years
Now have a 19’ Can am XRS with Madigan A arms, full Shock Therapy Shock/spring set up and EVO 3R tuner, ya da ya da

I will not talk smack on a RZR, mine was great.

Pros of the Can Am:
Ride: it’s 2 feet longer, wheel base always wins in ride smoothness. Add in good shock/spring set up and the can am is the tritoon of sxs’s . I’m surprised at anyone with a high dollar tritoon not running a can am if they are into a smooth ride. My girl has 4 titanium rods in her back and never complains of pain after a day in our tritoon or the can am.

2. Interior room: As OP stated, no shoulders rubbing for us big guys in a Can Am. Many who have never ridden in a sxs like the feeling of sitting IN the can am vs sitting up/ feeling of being more exposed in the rzr (can am not any safer).

Cons: Less visibility on big bowl duning transitions and seeing over the front of the car on tight trail rides on hill climbs.

Bigger car means less access on tighter trails.

Both are great cars to get out and have fun with
When it comes to a soft ride for bad backs, the Can Am has that market currently.

Good luck in your decision.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
1582570573205.png
1582570662629.png
1582570598309.png

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was totally sold on the rzr and then I took my wife to the sand show in costa mesa, she liked the can am better. Luckily my buddy works at a can am dealer.

go sit in each car and see how you like each.

the can am is a bigger overall car, esp the max, it has a few weak points but they all do. Frt lower a arms, rear radius rods are the most common weak points on the can am. On the can am max go with as big a tire as possible for the ground clearance. And diffidently go with a 72 wide car.

i don’t like that you can’t see out the back of the can am, backing up can be difficult if your in a tight area or a parking lot, I do have a back up camera and use it.
my car has plenty of power and is just fun to drive, I love to drift it in turns. Suspension is great and the prp seats, I added are comf.

i like the way the rzr is laid out and has more room for cargo in the trunk area, spare tire fits perfectly above the cargo area & you can see out the back. I would only get the rzr in a 4 seat like 99inch, the 2 seater is way to short of a wheel base like 90inch

the 2 seat can am is 102 inch and the maxxxxxx is just long, like really long.

in tight trails the rzr does really well.
wide open washes the can am does really well

the new 2 seat Kawasaki looks promising but might take a couple years to see what they do to improve it

Your Can Am is dialed. If I got one I’d copy your setup.

I really like the look of the Kawasaki. I just sat in one Friday. TONS of space for a 2 seater. There is a foot between the front seats and the rear firewall.

Reactions: DLC

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I had a 15 1000 XP 4 non turbo for a couple years
Now have a 19’ Can am XRS with Madigan A arms, full Shock Therapy Shock/spring set up and EVO 3R tuner, ya da ya da

I will not talk smack on a RZR, mine was great.

Pros of the Can Am:
Ride: it’s 2 feet longer, wheel base always wins in ride smoothness. Add in good shock/spring set up and the can am is the tritoon of sxs’s . I’m surprised at anyone with a high dollar tritoon not running a can am if they are into a smooth ride. My girl has 4 titanium rods in her back and never complains of pain after a day in our tritoon or the can am.

2. Interior room: As OP stated, no shoulders rubbing for us big guys in a Can Am. Many who have never ridden in a sxs like the feeling of sitting IN the can am vs sitting up/ feeling of being more exposed in the rzr (can am not any safer).

Cons: Less visibility on big bowl duning transitions and seeing over the front of the car on tight trail rides on hill climbs.

Bigger car means less access on tighter trails.

Both are great cars to get out and have fun with
When it comes to a soft ride for bad backs, the Can Am has that market currently.

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks for the input! Thats the kind of info i was looking for.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
For us it came down to front and rear leg room which the can am had more of. I do like the lower center of gravity and the width (both obviously have 72 wides now).

Can am rear visibility sucks and backing up is a bitch. Other than that we love it.

Have you drove an rzr and have any comments on the difference?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Can am has a lower center of gravity at stock height. For a great, all around comfort feel of the car without bottoming out with 4 passengers, you’ll need to raise it 4 inches.

I plan to dial in the suspension on whatever i end up with so that wouldnt be hard to address.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Pros and cons to both. You really need to drive both and see which one you like best.

I really like the look of the Can Am and thought that was the one I was going to buy until I drove it. I am short and sitting behind the wheel I felt like I could not see over the front end as well as I could in the RZR. Can Am seats are definitely down lower where as the RZR sits you up higher. This was better for me.

I went with the 4 seater and the Can Am is a bit longer than the RZR 4s. Can Am wheel base 135", RZR wheel base 117". I use this in the desert and figured the shorter wheel base would be better suited for this use.

Also liked the built in ride command and DYNAMIX Active Suspension System on the RZR.

I definitely want to drive the can am to see if i like it. Not being able to see over the front end doesn’t bother me, i couldn’t see over the front end of the sand car.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
As far as center of gravity, certainly the Can Am has a lower one from the factory because it is set up with such a low ride height. It would be interesting to see if the CG is actually any lower once you raised the Can Am to an appropriate height. It does have 10 gallons of gas in the dashboard, where in the RZR the rear passengers are sitting on the gas tank. The occupants are lower in the Can Am though.

I feel the 2 best handling SXS are the 4 seat RZR Turbo S and a 2 seat Can Am.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I definitely want to drive the can am to see if i like it. Not being able to see over the front end doesn’t bother me, i couldn’t see over the front end of the sand car.

The RZR definitely has better visibility than the Can Am. Mounting a spare tire on the back of a Can Am means you won’t be able to see out the back, ever.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Have you drove an rzr and have any comments on the difference?

In our group we have both. I have driven the rzr's and you sit much higher which could be why IMO the can am feels more stable. When you do the fox recommended settings you will end up at 16 inches of clearance on a RS but you just feel closer to the ground in the can am.

Best thing to do is sit in both and drive both. If you are getting a 4 seater, have the ones that will be riding in the back sit in the back and get their opinion. For us it was can am.

Although, out of all of them, the Polaris General was the most comfortable inside. It actually has a wider interior than the rzr. Why? I have no idea but the seating is pretty bad ass in them.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Lol, I was gonna ask if the Rzr or CanAm was considered the GM product.......then I'd probably buy the other if I was in the market. 😆
Time for you to sell that Unimog Zig and roll with us in a SxS.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
If We only did Havasu area, we’d be in a General.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

The new 2020 RR’s you just put larger tires on em and you are god to go

LowRiver2

Reaction score

Easy fix:
6924F68A-1D66-4AF9-99ED-FCDFEE602ECF.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That is the kind of suspension I am looking for. Any Idea what that kit bumped the travel up to?

Any of the aftermarket spring kits will get you there. Those appear to be Eibach or ST springs.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RZR has a better user interface with the screens etc.. it is more nimble in tighter trails..

The can am is a much more refined machine (much harder to work on as well).

the can am is infinitely more comfortable and better out of the gate as an off-road vehicle.
Once you put any money in either they are gonna be similar in terms of performance.

the can am feels more like an exotic sports car.. rzr feels more like a traditional off road car.

if you put real money in both the can am is a better platform.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
That is the kind of suspension I am looking for. Any Idea what that kit bumped the travel up to?

I run Shock Therapy springs/shock kit and the Madigan A arms on 15” rims and 33” Kanati’s

I’m at 19” front and 17” rear

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
RZR has a better user interface with the screens etc.. it is more nimble in tighter trails..

The can am is a much more refined machine (much harder to work on as well).

the can am is infinitely more comfortable and better out of the gate as an off-road vehicle.
Once you put any money in either they are gonna be similar in terms of performance.

the can am feels more like an exotic sports car.. rzr feels more like a traditional off road car.

if you put real money in both the can am is a better platform.

I partially agree here. The RZR Turbo S is based on an aging platform that will likely be replaced soon. Between a 72" Can Am and a Turbo S they seem to be very close out of the box though. The electronics on all the higher end RZRs make the Can Am feel like a base model Yugo. To be fair the base RZRs feel like the same base model Yugo.

If we are talking a 64" Turbo XP or 1000 XP, yes the Can Am is much better out of the box, undoubtedly. A dialed in 64" RZR drives really, really well (It also costs $2000+ to get the 64" RZR to that point), but it will never be a 72" car if you are going for max performance.

I feel slightly the opposite with regard to feel.. The 4 seat Can Am feels like a high performance SUV, where the Turbo S feels more like a high performance car. The RZR is more toss-able, quicker to react and more engaging to drive.

@Rbcconst

The Can Am has seats with harness pass throughs stock.
The Turbo S and Pro XP come with harnesses properly placed, so this is moot, but if you get a XP turbo or 1000 RZR you will be modding or replacing the seats to properly mount safety harnesses. I have always thought this was a dumb design.

I like the stock seats in both cars, but not everyone does. Keep in mind, if you plan on redoing the suspension, you may not "need" aftermarket suspension seats to be comfortable in the car.

Last edited:

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I’ve actually have driven both models recently.
RZR
I feel that the rzr is too tight. (I’m a fluffy guy) 😂 and felt cramped. One of the other things I disliked about the rzr is I feel like I’m not in the car as much as sitting on top of it. Meaning you sit very high. Don’t like that there is no room in that back sit although I don’t plan on being the passenger in the back anyway. As far as power it seemed to have enough to get me were I wanted to go. I will say the throttle response seemed slow. Suspension it was more than adequate.

Can-Am
Loved everything about it. Great suspension plenty of power, tons of room. The one thing I really loved about the can-am is I feel like I’m part of the car meaning I’m sitting in it as opposed to the rzr were I feel like I’m sitting too high.
This all being said I wouldn’t pass up the right deal on a rzr. With all the hype for the can-ams you can pick up a great deal on a rzr with a lot of upgrades due to a lot of people wanting to switch to the can-am. Just my .02 from a nobody who likes to have fun and who doesn’t have a lot of off-road experience.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Im a big dude with a big family and the can am sux for us. the rzr s is a little better. the rzr xp pro is massive inside and I fit perfectly. I can even sit in the back at 6'5....i bought a General simply because of the fit haha.....

cant wait for the xp pro S haha...that will be the best car on the map.

Mikes56

Reaction score
No one mentioned the clutches or belts. The belt on a Can Am will go 2000-3000 miles, and the stock clutch in the Can Am will last a lot longer than the RZR. The rollers in my 2015 RZR flat spotted in 1000 miles, another buddies of mine did the same thing. Maybe the new ones are better, idk.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No one mentioned the clutches or belts. The belt on a Can Am will go 2000-3000 miles, and the stock clutch in the Can Am will last a lot longer than the RZR. The rollers in my 2015 RZR flat spotted in 1000 miles, another buddies of mine did the same thing. Maybe the new ones are better, idk.

2016 and up RZR has better clutches in the 1000. The 2016+ have square rollers that need to be swapped to aftermarket round ones on day 2 and the secondary will live a long happy life.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
That is good info

gqchris

Reaction score
Im a big dude with a big family and the can am sux for us. the rzr s is a little better. the rzr xp pro is massive inside and I fit perfectly. I can even sit in the back at 6'5....i bought a General simply because of the fit haha.....

cant wait for the xp pro S haha...that will be the best car on the map.

I am 6'4" and have no problem, even in the back. Thats weird. Did you put the seats in the lower position?

goshen82

Reaction score
i have had a rzr 1000 full custom car with everything done to it and now we have a 2 seat can am and a 4 seat both are 72” wide and I would choose both cars over the rzr. We mostly do glamis because my dad brother and me all have sand cars and the can ams are more back ups but I have driven them both in the dunes and dirt. The 4 seat can am I feel like handles the best in the dunes. It goes through the whoops better and just handles better. The 2 seat can am I feel like if you need to get up a steep dune last minute or it’s a g out at the bottom it gets up and goes a lot faster and you almost never need 4 wheel drive. The 4 seater depending on conditions of sand I will run in 4 wheel drive. I also like the fact that you sit low in the can am you really feel like your in the car compared to the rzr. Can am also makes a spacer that comes with the car if you want the seat higher you can put that spacer underneath to race the back of seat up. We haven’t really broken anything on the can ams. You do need to do the bushing kit on the back tie rods because the center one always comes loose. Both cars have shock therapy done and that makes a huge difference along with running big tires. I’ve driven both in Parker as well in the desert and they do great. I have ridden in the back seat of our 4 seater and I didn’t feel uncomfortable and I’m not a small guy.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I partially agree here. The RZR Turbo S is based on an aging platform that will likely be replaced soon. Between a 72" Can Am and a Turbo S they seem to be very close out of the box though. The electronics on all the higher end RZRs make the Can Am feel like a base model Yugo. To be fair the base RZRs feel like the same base model Yugo.

If we are talking a 64" Turbo XP or 1000 XP, yes the Can Am is much better out of the box, undoubtedly. A dialed in 64" RZR drives really, really well (It also costs $2000+ to get the 64" RZR to that point), but it will never be a 72" car if you are going for max performance.

I feel slightly the opposite with regard to feel.. The 4 seat Can Am feels like a high performance SUV, where the Turbo S feels more like a high performance car. The RZR is more toss-able, quicker to react and more engaging to drive.

@Rbcconst

The Can Am has seats with harness pass throughs stock.
The Turbo S and Pro XP come with harnesses properly placed, so this is moot, but if you get a XP turbo or 1000 RZR you will be modding or replacing the seats to properly mount safety harnesses. I have always thought this was a dumb design.

I like the stock seats in both cars, but not everyone does. Keep in mind, if you plan on redoing the suspension, you may not "need" aftermarket suspension seats to be comfortable in the car.
Ill have to drive both. I like the feel of a big car. Somewhere between my last sand car and a golf cart would be great lol. The RZR did not feel big to me at all and the cab felt really small when there are 2 guys up front. Riding with my wife in there wasnt bad at all. I will take off the stock suspension on either that I get and I really want as close to 20" of travel as possible. I want something I can hammer down across the desert in and feel confident the car can take it, I did not feel that way in the rzr I had but it also had stock suspension on it.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
i have had a rzr 1000 full custom car with everything done to it and now we have a 2 seat can am and a 4 seat both are 72” wide and I would choose both cars over the rzr. We mostly do glamis because my dad brother and me all have sand cars and the can ams are more back ups but I have driven them both in the dunes and dirt. The 4 seat can am I feel like handles the best in the dunes. It goes through the whoops better and just handles better. The 2 seat can am I feel like if you need to get up a steep dune last minute or it’s a g out at the bottom it gets up and goes a lot faster and you almost never need 4 wheel drive. The 4 seater depending on conditions of sand I will run in 4 wheel drive. I also like the fact that you sit low in the can am you really feel like your in the car compared to the rzr. Can am also makes a spacer that comes with the car if you want the seat higher you can put that spacer underneath to race the back of seat up. We haven’t really broken anything on the can ams. You do need to do the bushing kit on the back tie rods because the center one always comes loose. Both cars have shock therapy done and that makes a huge difference along with running big tires. I’ve driven both in Parker as well in the desert and they do great. I have ridden in the back seat of our 4 seater and I didn’t feel uncomfortable and I’m not a small guy.
The more I read the more I like the sound of the can am. I had a desert dynamics and really liked it but it was to big for any river riding. If I was planning to do more glamis I would get another big car. I hated the feeling of being the the rzr in glamis, I felt like a sand car was going to plow right through me.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Good info!

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
We do a lot of everything from trail riding to dunes. We’ll do the river, Mexico, Glamis, Ocotillo and Big Bear.

The CanAm is an awesome car and if I did a lot more open stuff like Glamis it would’ve been the CanAm. But we do a lot of tighter trail riding and the CanAm would be a lot more work in the tight stuff. It’s a good size car when they’re side by side.

We ended up with the RZR and it’s been a great car. I may try a CanAm in the future if our habits change but for now the RZR does everything decently well.