WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

can anyone give me any detailed history/info in this DCB ??

titanpb27

Reaction score
can anyone give me any detailed history/info in this DCB ??

I was told it was a special built boat by DCB and featured in "Hot Boat Magazine" with an article on it being built.

I am currently "'rebuilding, repairing, and updating" it for a friend of mine who purchased it damaged from an insurance company.

Any detailed info would be appreciated. The new owner said is is willing to pay for a copy; hard printed, or digital file, of this boat in the magazine

_14_018.JPG _12.JPG

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It would help to know what year the boat was built if looking for a mag article.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hard to se with those two small pics on my phone but it looks like a triple outboard?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
can't fix the blury thought I could [emoji17]

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I would ditch the center engine, and keep it as a spare, especially if it's a 2.5 or 300X.

dave29

Reaction score
Why not call Dave at DCB directly!!!!!!!

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I'm almost certain that boat was kept on the Delta at Whiskey Slough. I believe it hit a log or something damaged the port side hull. Supposedly it didn't sink and they were able to get it to a dock or trailer.

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
If it was triples they weren't 300's. I'd sell the 3 and get into 2 300xs

BigQ

Reaction score
I don't know much, but what i can tell you is that the boat is a base of white with hints of blue and yellow graphics down the side. Does that help?:D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Prior owner went bankrupt over the fuel costs, had to sell it

What size gas tanks do dcb's or I guess any bigger cat typically run. Something we need to think about before going bigger.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What size gas tanks do dcb's or I guess any bigger cat typically run. Something we need to think about before going bigger.

80 gallons total as a minimum typically... Up to 120-150 or more, depends on how big the boat is, and what it was designed for.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
80 gallons minimum typically... Up to 120-150 generally, depends on how big.

Do you by chance know what size tank is in the new 270 Python? If memory serves, I want to say hernando told me it was getting a 1350 merc for power. We really want to build one. I think I'd probably go w a merc 600 though. Maybe just pick up something a few years older and save a bunch of money. I dunno. I guess it depends on what kind of mood hernando is in when I ask what a python will run. I am not paying 200k

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Do you by chance know what size tank is in the new 270 Python? If memory serves, I want to say hernando told me it was getting a 1350 merc for power. We really want to build one. I think I'd probably go w a merc 600 though. Maybe just pick up something a few years older and save a bunch of money. I dunno. I guess it depends on what kind of mood hernando is in when I ask what a python will run. I am not paying 200k

I don't know for sure, but I'm almost positive it would hold over 100 gallons. My hope would be 120+ A 1350 easily drinks double your 496 if not more. You'd need 80 gallons just to run to the Parker dam and back to your house :)

A 600 would obviously be better on gas than that, I'd bet it would drink around 1/3 more than your 496 like for like.. But you are talking a heavier boat too.

A lightly used boat of that caliber will always save you a lot of coin. I met a guy last summer that had a Python and said they might upgrade. They bought some boat show Python from Hernando at a good deal.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I'm almost positive it would hold over 100 gallons. My hope would be 120+ A 1350 easily drinks double your 496 if not more. You'd need 80 gallons just to run to the Parker dam and back to your house :)

A lightly used bit of that caliber will always save you a lot of coin.

My cobra holds 56 gals and I can do the dam to dam on Mohave w a full tank running wot most of the way. Costs me like what I dunno around 150? I guess I could easily expect to double that with a 600? I would love to add bigger power but unfortunately the sky is not the limit for us. I need to ask briley if he made it on one tank in his 280 Python. I believe he has a 525 and sees a little more than 80mph. I'd like to be around a 100 and I'm not sure that a 270 Python w a 600 will get me there. I think it would run over 90 though

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My cobra holds 56 gals and I can do the dam to dam on Mohave w a full tank running wot most of the way. Costs me like what I dunno around 150? I guess I could easily expect to double that with a 600? I would love to add bigger power but unfortunately the sky is not the limit for us. I need to ask briley if he made it on one tank in his 280 Python. I believe he has a 525 and sees a little more than 80mph. I'd like to be around a 100 and I'm not sure that a 270 Python w a 600 will get me there. I think it would run over 90 though

Yea I'd say plan for double the fuel costs. If he's doing 80 with a 525 then I don't think you'll get to 100 with a 600.

Know how many miles that is on Mohave? I have not done Mohave, so I can't compare mileage. You probably have 8-10 MPH on me for top speed, but I burn about 1/3 less fuel with my small block. I do like 64 on the speedo in summer which is right at 60 GPS. It's faster when it cools off.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Yea I'd say plan for double the fuel costs. If he's doing 80 with a 525 then I don't think you'll get to 100 with a 600.

Know how many miles that is on Mohave? I have not done Mohave, so I can't compare mileage. You probably have 8-10 MPH on me for top speed, but I burn about 1/3 less fuel with my small block. I do like 64 on the speedo in summer which is right at 60 GPS. It's faster when it cools off.

I want to say it's 66 miles or really close to that. The 280 is heavier I want to say? I want to say the 270 that was tested has a 565 and I want to say Jeff said he got either real close to 90 or in the 90's. I'm going to look at the article right now. I know 565 to 600 isn't a huge jump but I should see a few mph right? Oh and sorry op I've been known to thread jack and I think I did it again. But at least it's staying on top [emoji16][emoji16] sorry

Ok the 565 hit 86 on the lake test article. I know Jeff got a little more out of it though. So 600 should get me just shy of 100?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'd expect low 90s... Maybe. That is not a huge power jump to the 600, plus there is the extra weight of the blower and necessary accessories.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I'd expect low 90s. That is not a huge power jump to the 600

I want to say Jeff said either 92 or 94 with the 565. Only reason I thought it would b mid high 90's. I need to get over there and talk to him it's only a 5 minute drive. Might as well save the money if I'm not hitting 100. 90's is pretty fast

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I want to say Jeff said either 92 or 94 with the 565. Only reason I thought it would b mid high 90's. I need to get over there and talk to him it's only a 5 minute drive. Might as well save the money if I'm not hitting 100. 90's is pretty fast

Yea save your money and get a different speedometer... No one is gonna know the difference between 95 and 100 on the water.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Howard deck with a 600 will get you close to or just over the century mark. GRADS Daytona with 600 runs 90's.....I would think that the Python might see low 90's with that set up.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Howard deck with a 600 will get you close to or just over the century mark. GRADS Daytona with 600 runs 90's.....I would think that the Python might see low 90's with that set up.

Python sees low 90's w 565. Was thinking the extra horses would get it there but maybe not. Now I'm no one to say but maybe grads ain't getting it all [emoji4]

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Python sees low 90's w 565. Was thinking the extra horses would get it there but maybe not. Now I'm no one to say but maybe grads ain't getting it all [emoji4]
Top speed for the Python with 565, according to Daves tests, was 86.4MPH and that one was probably propped for top speed. Most likely you will be running a lower pitch so 80 - 85 mph with gas and gear is more realistic for the Python with 565.......definitely not running low 90's with that set up.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Top speed for the Python with 565, according to Daves tests, was 86.4MPH and that one was probably propped for top speed. Most likely you will be running a lower pitch so 80 - 85 mph with gas and gear is more realistic for the Python with 565.......definitely not running low 90's with that set up.

Jeff said 92 or 94 on Elsinore and I don't think he has any reason to lie to me. I know the conditions were not the greatest for the tests. It's been a while since I spoke to Jeff about it but I'll ask again. I want to go see the new 270 anyways. I'm not sure if the owner of the first 270 is a member here I'm sure he knows more realistic numbers. If the new one really is getting a 1350 I'm curious what that will do.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
He also got my boat to run s little faster w a labbed prop but I'm not sure that little bit is worth the money. Money would probably be better spent doing the tune

TLAW719

Reaction score

I've got two aproximate 45 gallon tanks in my 26'. It is a heavy ass boat but with the prop on there I easily see 70+ and when full can launch from Windsor, go down to Parker dam up to needles bridge and back to Windsor on one fill.

TLAW719

Reaction score
I've got two aproximate 45 gallon tanks in my 26'. It is a heavy ass boat but with the prop on there I easily see 70+ and when full can launch from Windsor, go down to Parker dam up to needles bridge and back to Windsor on one fill.

And I still need to do prop testing.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
He also got my boat to run s little faster w a labbed prop but I'm not sure that little bit is worth the money. Money would probably be better spent doing the tune

I think the tunes on the 496 get you more bang for the buck, but I'm going to have my 6.2 tuned and try a labbed 24. I just got a used 24 pitch prop on EBay to have labbed.

I think your boat would rip with the tune.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Well the 600 only makes 35-40 more HP, and probably weighs another 80+ lbs. I don't see you picking up more than a few MPH in a like for like config.

The 600 allows you to run 87 fuel, and seems to fit all emissions standards, I'm sure due to the milder cam.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I think the tunes on the 496 get you more bang for the buck, but I'm going to have my 6.2 tuned and try a labbed 24. I just got a used 24 pitch prop on EBay to have labbed.

I think your boat would rip with the tune.

Only question I have left about the tune is if I need to add headers. That will set me back

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'd call Whipple to verify, but I don't think so.

Look at it this way.. Even if they got you to 496HO power levels, that engine does not have headers from the factory. I think you'll pick up a bit more power than the HO though from what I have read.

TLAW719

Reaction score
Well the 600 only makes 35-40 more HP, and probably weighs another 80+ lbs. I don't see you picking up more than a few MPH in a like for like config.

The 600 allows you to run 87 fuel, and seems to fit all emissions standards, I'm sure due to the milder cam.

With the 600 though you could swap the pulley and tune decently cheap and have a good bit more hp.

Only question I have left about the tune is if I need to add headers. That will set me back

You wouldn't "need" the headers. They would help but from what a few guys told me on here when I asked about the CMI's for mine, they said they tend to leak after a while. $5k is a ton of money to have to worry about leaks.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
With the 600 though you could swap the pulley and tune decently cheap and have a good bit more hp.

You wouldn't "need" the headers. They would help but from what a few guys told me on here when I asked about the CMI's for mine, they said they tend to leak after a while. $5k is a ton of money to have to worry about leaks.

Yea I can't see spending 5k just to upgrade boats in a year or two. The little mishaps I had last season are already going to cost me for the gel repair [emoji17]

TLAW719

Reaction score
Agreed. And I'm sure the midrange is better with the 600.

Yes I agree. Plus with the roots blower it will give you a lot of low end torque to plain.

Yea I can't see spending 5k just to upgrade boats in a year or two. The little mishaps I had last season are already going to cost me for the gel repair [emoji17]

Yeah if you're going to upgrade in a year or two I wouldn't waste the money on headers. Honestly I don't think I would even spent the $1k on the tune. Save that $6k for a motor upgrade or hydrolic steering or something like that. Also I think you would have a better resale with an inmolested power package.

Btw, how much is your rock mishap going to cost you?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Yes I agree. Plus with the roots blower it will give you a lot of low end torque to plain.

Yeah if you're going to upgrade in a year or two I wouldn't waste the money on headers. Honestly I don't think I would even spent the $1k on the tune. Save that $6k for a motor upgrade or hydrolic steering or something like that. Also I think you would have a better resale with an inmolested power package.

Btw, how much is your rock mishap going to cost you?

I'm hoping cobra will take care of that when I get the bottom re gelled. Around 1500 for that. Im more worried about the knick I got when the boat bumped another boats stainless rub rail. (Cost of delivering shirts [emoji16]) that's gonna be a little more because it's in the blend. haven't got an actual number though I need to bring it home. Also some scratches on the bow. Wife wore jean shorts w buttons and did a full 180 to get of the boat [emoji22][emoji22] she was pregnant and I was chasing the dog. My fault not hers. I was told the tune would help resale value but I'm not 100% on that either.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm hoping cobra will take care of that when I get the bottom re gelled. Around 1500 for that. Im more worried about the knick I got when the boat bumped another boats stainless rub rail. (Cost of delivering shirts [emoji16]) that's gonna be a little more because it's in the blend. haven't got an actual number though I need to bring it home. Also some scratches on the bow. Wife wore jean shorts w buttons and did a full 180 to get of the boat [emoji22][emoji22] she was pregnant and I was chasing the dog. My fault not hers. I was told the tune would help resale value but I'm not 100% on that either.

The tune might help SELL the boat. You might be able to ask another $500 for it with the tune. The tune is $700 so probably worth it if you are gonna enjoy the boat a couple years with extra power.

TLAW719

Reaction score

Damn that sucks, all that gel work is going to hurt your wallet for sure. 😳 Specially in the blend. Do you have any kind of mat for the bow of your boat? On my Instagram there is a picture of my boat with bath mats I have for the bow. I got them real cheap on Amazon and they are perfect for people getting off and on. I don't have to worry about scratches. They are microfiber and memory foam with a soft no slip bottom. They work great.

Another thing to think of with the tune is having to use 91 instead of 87 octane. I don't know if you really care about that or not.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Damn that sucks, all that gel work is going to hurt your wallet for sure. [emoji15] Specially in the blend. Do you have any kind of mat for the bow of your boat? On my Instagram there is a picture of my boat with bath mats I have for the bow. I got them real cheap on Amazon and they are perfect for people getting off and on. I don't have to worry about scratches. They are microfiber and memory foam with a soft no slip bottom. They work great.

Another thing to think of with the tune is having to use 91 instead of 87 octane. I don't know if you really care about that or not.

I thought about the gas but it's only a couple bucks a fill up. Normally I always have tools on the bow but I was distracted by the dog. I usually life my wife out of the boat or out towels just that one time and bam. At first I thought the dog did it but the when I thought about it I realized it was the buttons. Maybe big maybe those scratches can be buffed out. This knick in the blend will cost me though. I was going to fix it right away but in all honesty I'm the only one that notices it. But since I know where it's at I see it right away every time. It has to get fixed or it will drive me crazy. I'll take my dad w me when we go he likes beating up on hernando [emoji12]im gonna check out your Instagram right now [emoji106]

Ultra247

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in on the thread but what "tune" are you talking about? Are you talking about having the ECU remapped? If so, where are you considering having it done? ARE you going to have them map your motor or just drop a better map into it. I have a 496 Mag with a pro charger on it and I'm running the stock ECU. I know that boost power has other maps. Is that the place to go? Is it ok to use one of their standard maps or do you need to create a custom map with their Dyno?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Vic,

Go to harbor freight and get the 1.5 inch spring clamps. They are under a buck each. Bring an extra towel or 2 out with you and drape the spare towel over the side of the front of the boat. Use the clamp on the rail to hold it down. You'll never get a scratch on the front of the boat again.

They also work perfect on the Bimini. I clamp towels to the Bimini for extra shade. If you bring enough towels you can soak them in water and clamp them to all 4 sides of the Bimini to build yourself a little chill chamber.

I carry 8 of them on the boat.
image.jpg

http://t.harborfreight.com/1-12-in-nylon-spring-clamp-69292.html

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in on the thread but what "tune" are you talking about? Are you talking about having the ECU remapped? If so, where are you considering having it done? ARE you going to have them map your motor or just drop a better map into it. I have a 496 Mag with a pro charger on it and I'm running the stock ECU. I know that boost power has other maps. Is that the place to go? Is it ok to use one of their standard maps or do you need to create a custom map with their Dyno?

I'm going to have Teague do it. I need to take it off and send it to them. I have a 502 mag and the tune should make it into the ho. Something about the throttle is restricted but don't quote me

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Vic,

Go to harbor freight and get the 1.5 inch spring clamps. They are under a buck each. Bring an extra towel or 2 out with you and drape the spare towel over the side of the front of the boat. Use the clamp on the rail to hold it down. You'll never get a scratch on the front of the boat again.

They also work perfect on the Bimini. I clamp towels to the Bimini for extra shade. If you bring enough towels you can soak them in water and clamp them to all 4 sides of the Bimini to build yourself a little chill chamber.

View attachment 454252

Great idea thank you

TLAW719

Reaction score
Vic,

View attachment 454252

That's a damn good idea thanks. I'm going to have to pick some up.

Don't be sorry. We've kind of already jacked the thread anyways lol. I might be wrong but the tune were talking about and that Teague uses is the whipple tune. It just reprograms the ecu.