WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can I borrow your boat?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
It's ok Dave, I dont need to borrow your trailer!

But wanted to hear everyone's experience with a borrowed boat. I've been asked multiple times by different people and the answer has always been fuck no. I've even been asked if they could "rent" it. My response is usually along the lines of sure, but I'm going to need a $10,000 security deposit. Stops it real quick. Everybody knows if they want to go out on one of my boats with me, all they have to do is ask cuz I'm generally looking for an excuse to use them anyway!

I made the mistake of letting a drunk coworker sleep on the Formula once, I went down the next morning and it turned out he had a party on it. Food and trash everywhere, vomit over the side of the boat, shit tank was overflowing, etc etc. He ultimately made it right but I ripped his ass a new one!

Oh, and I'll never fucking do that again!

Ever lend your boat out??

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Every single time I’ve ever loaned out anything with an engine it’s come back compromised in some way.
Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, but always fucked up.

If I loaned out my boat they’d kill themselves in it.

4Waters

Reaction score
Nope, won't do it. My buddy loaned his out twice and it came back the first time locked to the trailer for 30 days because the guy didn't do a walk around and the inspection station found a strand of grass on it with a mussel on it. On day 28 it rained and Fish and Game came to inspect it and it failed, another 30 days. The 2nd time it came back with a bent prop.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Iv had friends ask. Sandrail, boats, trailers etc.
Show me your account balance. If it exceeds the value of what you want to borrow, have at it.
But note: if it doesn’t come back in better shape then it left, you better have cash or cashiers check for the full amount and it’s now yours to do as you wish with it.
20k sequential trans and scx drives tend to make them say never mind.
Actually had a friend asking before I blew motor in conquest. I was like see if you had used you’d be paying the 30k for new motor. He was like well that wouldn’t of been all on me right, oh fuk yes it would. Hence why you don’t borrow if you can’t pay.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I borrowed my current boat a few times before I acquired it. Needed the cuddy for when my Niece and Nephew were little. But letting someone else borrow it now dought it. My red boat i recently sold a handful of people I would.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Nope, won't do it. My buddy loaned his out twice and it came back the first time locked to the trailer for 30 days because the guy didn't do a walk around and the inspection station found a strand of grass on it with a mussel on it. On day 28 it rained and Fish and Game came to inspect it and it failed, another 30 days. The 2nd time it came back with a bent prop.
So fish and game came to inspect his boat?? At his house?

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I get asked a couple times a year and it's usually a relative who knows better than to ask me. My golden rule is "whats mine is mine and I don't have to share".

4Waters

Reaction score
So fish and game came to inspect his boat?? At his house?
Yup, the Warden and her husband (he is also a Warden) live here in Simi. If you watched "Wild Justice" she is the Warden that said "you're free little lobster". LOL, she still gets a lot of shit for that.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Years ago I borrowed my brothers 19' VIP a couple times one summer. The 2nd trip I brain farted and forgot about the river level dropping at night. It got some scratches in the lagoon at Castle Rock. He was upset. I got it fixed. That incident led to us buying a boat together. A 21' Commander jet. Lots of fun memories made on that boat that probably would have never happen had I not borrowed the VIP. We never loaned the Commander out. His family has gotten older and the friend circle has gotten bigger. The Commander was sold and he got himself a nice Hallett. I'm on the hunt for a V drive Whaler. These days I have no desire to borrow or lend, if I had a boat. Being a guest on a boat is enough for me. Show up on time, be respectful, and help afterwards. Simple.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
There probably one friend I would let Borrow my boat. He has owned boats for as long as I have and been on mine enough times to know the drill and how I maintain it. Plus he has the cash to fix it.

I've Borrowed his old boat one time on the only summer I didn't own one. That boat was not in the best shape. I buffed the hell out of it and detailed the inside and fixed as much little shit as I could before taking it back.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
We were sitting on the beach by the park, CA side 1/2 mile or so up from Roadrunner. Some non hot girl rides up on a butt rider - asks if thats my wife on the beach. Proceeds to tell her that her friends are at Foxes and they are bored. First off, how can that be? Proceeds to ask my wife if she can borrow our boat and she will leave us her butt rider. Says she has a million dollar insurance policy so all should be good. Uh...NO!. She says, well can you come take them out on your boat? Seriously? NO - go away. She takes off straight out in front of a fast moving eliminator Daytona, who had to swerve to miss the dumb ass. Who would actually expect someone to just hand over their boat?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
We were sitting on the beach by the park, CA side 1/2 mile or so up from Roadrunner. Some non hot girl rides up on a butt rider - asks if thats my wife on the beach. Proceeds to tell her that her friends are at Foxes and they are bored. First off, how can that be? Proceeds to ask my wife if she can borrow our boat and she will leave us her butt rider. Says she has a million dollar insurance policy so all should be good. Uh...NO!. She says, well can you come take them out on your boat? Seriously? NO - go away. She takes off straight out in front of a fast moving eliminator Daytona, who had to swerve to miss the dumb ass. Who would actually expect someone to just hand over their boat?

Racist!!

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Wise words from my dad: Borrower or lender - never be. Boy I wish I listened to his advise , I learned he was right. One time a neighbor borrowed a hacksaw for a "quick" cut of one pipe..... I waited, and waited, and waited..... I was determined not to call him but after 3 weeks I needed it ....... I follow Dads' advice now.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Wise words from my dad: Borrower or lender - never be. Boy I wish I listened to his advise , I learned he was right. One time a neighbor borrowed a hacksaw for a "quick" cut of one pipe..... I waited, and waited, and waited..... I was determined not to call him but after 3 weeks I needed it ....... I follow Dads' advice now.

At least it was only a hacksaw lol

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I have friends that can use my stuff and I can use theirs, and I have friends that no way in hell would I let them borrow my stuff.

I’ve let friends take my boats out. We also take turns being sober sometimes. So someone else gets to drive for the day. Its not that deep. If it was gonna break, it was gonna break. If you bang it off a dock or rocks, well then you can fix what you fuck up. We don’t smoke, wear shoes, drink messy drinks in out boats, so no worries there.

Its not that deep to me, but I drive peoples boats every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I have friends that can use my stuff and I can use theirs, and I have friends that no way in hell would I let them borrow my stuff.

I’ve let friends take my boats out. We also take turns being sober sometimes. So someone else gets to drive for the day. Its not that deep. If it was gonna break, it was gonna break. If you bang it off a dock or rocks, well then you can fix what you fuck up. We don’t smoke, wear shoes, drink messy drinks in out boats, so no worries there.

Its not that deep to me, but I drive peoples boats every week.

Exactly the same. I offer to be the driver on friends boats all the time so they can enjoy some drinks.

Tools, vehicles, pretty much anything else I own I'll let my real good friends borrow if they need it and and I'll borrow theirs if needed. In our circle of friends things seem to work out, it's a circle for sure.

The boats a little different since not everyone has the knowledge to operate.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Lend as in tow to/from storage? Never.

Most times at the lake I’m with a pretty good crew that a trust to take the boat out for a little bit especially if I’m wanting to hang on the beach or go wake surf on someone else’s boat. They’ve all lent me their boats over the years and I know they’ll treat mine like I treat theirs.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Never let anyone borrow the boat.
I did one time ask to borrow a friends truck for 3 days to haul some stuff to our new home and he could drive my Jag during those three days. I returned his truck washed and full of fuel. I got my Jag back with a spun main engine bearing. Repair bill over $17k but thanks to my extended warranty cost me $0. Just the inconvenience and headache.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Lake Powel trip many moons ago. One of the "crew" we were on the houseboat with begged to take out my boat out. Somehow the bilge filled with water and engaged the starter @ WOT. I got to go to Napa in Page and buy a new flywheel and starter to finish the trip. I did that at the Waheap marina. Same Jackass was catching the pet carp around the docks and pissing everyone off when he let them just lay out in the sun. Mike was a special kind of person.

Good times. :(

LLGirl

sometimes Mr. LLGril ;)
Reaction score
No, all of our friends have their own boats. And even if they didn’t, I don’t think any of them would have the nerve to ask lol.

ridebig

Reaction score
What get's me is someone that has the ball's to even ask. I won't even borrow a tool unless I'm desperate.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
If someone even asked me, they would get thrown out of the circle. No way.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Never. Everyone of my friends know I’m a perfectionist and they don’t want the pressure. I don’t think most people get or respect how much time and resources it takes to manage a boat until they rent one and go through the process. I have loaned out my dirt bike and my buddy flipped it. Fortunately he had the resources to make it right.

spectras only

Reaction score
I wouldn't even let friends stay in my travel trailer. I ain't going to empty the holding tanks to empty their s.....t, NFW 😝
There seem to be a lot of ads people renting out their travel trailers when not using it.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I give so many rules and a 2 hour discussion with a grease board followed with a test....most say forget it when the grease board comes out.

I really like this approach!

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
The inquiry of can I borrow your boat, is along the same lines of can I ride your MOTO, street or dirt.My reply to a co-worker just a few weeks ago, regarding my FZ09
was" why don't you just ask me if you can fok my wife too". The answer is No.Forever......Although, many years ago I was out riding Glamis, a younger kid asked if he could ride my CR 500, I said, if you can start it, you can ride it😅He kicked that sumbitch for a looooong time.I had prolly 6 beers enjoying that show.He never rode it.😂

Bear Down

Reaction score
Not a boat, but God love my brother (RIP). My brother worked for Edison as a lineman, A big Christian and guy full of love, joy and Christian giving to anyone who needed help. He had a duramax as I did, he calls up and says "Bro, can I borrow your Truck for a trip to Yosemite to take the horses", he's a lineman so he had some coin, anything broken he'd cover in a heartbeat. I then said "of course bro, just pick up when you need it, is your truck broke down?", " nope my truck is fine, my Edison buddy needs your truck to pull his trailer, his truck is down" I was like "Your Fucking NUTS bro".... He laughed and said never mind.. He was such a good hearted fellow, he thought I was too..

MeCasa16

Reaction score
This is funny. I remember when I was first starting out as a flight instructor after college. I worked out of Camarillo airport. At 22 years old, guys would always let me borrow their planes. I can’t tell you how many times guys would give me their new cirrus to take friends to Vegas or drop them off somewhere. One guy who was incredibly wealthy, would always want to take his new cirrus instead of his jet. When the weather was low and he couldn’t fly IFR, he would have me fly it out to the desert, meet me there in his new Bentley, and give me the keys to that. He would let me drive his Arnage TT all weekend and leave a couple hundred bucks for gas in the ash tray. I was broke as a joke at that point in my life, but I felt like I had the world by the balls. I probably would have done that job forever if it paid better.