WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can I cancel my car insurance?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I can cancel my car insurance for a couple months? We have 5 cars, 3 of which are in the garage, and we've probably driven a total of 2 miles in the last month. I get that if a car sits outside it can be broken in to but what about the cars in the garage? Say the house burns down, would homeowners insurance cover that?

WildHorses24

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I can cancel my car insurance for a couple months? We have 5 cars, 3 of which are in the garage, and we've probably driven a total of 2 miles in the last month. I get that if a car sits outside it can be broken in to but what about the cars in the garage? Say the house burns down, would homeowners insurance cover that?
Nope. Go to comprehensive only but dmv will suspend your registration since CA is a reporting state unless they're non-opp.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

GRADS

Reaction score
Nope. Go to comprehensive only but dmv will suspend your registration since CA is a reporting state unless they're non-opp.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
So would they just suspend the registration until the car is insured again? Because I'm good with that.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
So would they just suspend the registration until the car is insured again? Because I'm good with that.

No you have to pay a small fee and deal with DMV to reinstate reg. You probably have pretty big window right now though with COVID if you want to play the game. At least 4 months then get a letter from DMV giving you another month to get coverage etc. If any of the vehicles have a lien the lender will be on your ass to make sure there’s Comp AND collision though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stoker

Reaction score
You can Opt for liability only which will cover you for damage done to other vehicles if you are at fault. If your vehicles are financed you will be required to have comp and collision Ins which will cover cover your vehicles finance company in the event you are at fault in an accident.

stoker

Reaction score
homeowners will not cover anything with a gas powered engine stored in your garage. You can register your cars non op and insure them for stated value through your insurance company but cannot use them on the street and be covered.

KevinR

Reaction score
Grads call your insurance carrier. They will answer all your questions. :rolleyes:

GRADS

Reaction score
Grads call your insurance carrier. They will answer all your questions. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately the one agent I trusted left the company so I really wouldn't trust what they say now.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
No. If it is time to renew the registration for a vehicle that you do not plan to use, you may place your vehicle on Planned Non-Operation (PNO) status. Vehicles with PNO status are not subject to suspension.

If your vehicle is currently registered and you decide not to use it, you must maintain insurance or notify DMV that you will not be using it by completing an Affidavit of Non Use (ANU). Upon receipt of a REG 5090, DMV will cancel the registration. The vehicle cannot be driven or parked on California streets, roads, or highway until proof of insurance is received by the department. A reinstatement fee is not due when the registration is cancelled.

Vehicles with a PNO or ANU on record are not subject to suspension.

Sherpa

Reaction score
you can cancel your coverage. and within a month the DMV will cancel your reg on that car.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
No. If it is time to renew the registration for a vehicle that you do not plan to use, you may place your vehicle on Planned Non-Operation (PNO) status. Vehicles with PNO status are not subject to suspension.

If your vehicle is currently registered and you decide not to use it, you must maintain insurance or notify DMV that you will not be using it by completing an Affidavit of Non Use (ANU). Upon receipt of a REG 5090, DMV will cancel the registration. The vehicle cannot be driven or parked on California streets, roads, or highway until proof of insurance is received by the department. A reinstatement fee is not due when the registration is cancelled.

Vehicles with a PNO or ANU on record are not subject to suspension.

This ^^

if no lien holder on title, you do one of the above (Otherwise, forget it). Then downgrade your auto insurance to comprehensive only (so if it gets stolen or your house burns down, you’re covered).

depends on the $$ savings whether it’s worth the hassle. If a vehicle is going to sit for 6 months or more I’ll do the ANU. I reserve PNO for long term >1 year.

84miller

Reaction score
You will not save very much money. First property and causality is the highest part of the premium. You have a multi car discount, meaning the property and causality is spread across the cars and drivers listed. Second, hopefully you have a good driver discount, which is based on your driving record and how many claims with your current carrier. Take one or two of the cars off the policy, then re-add them later, will reset your property and causality, good driver discount because it will be like introducing additional vehicles that are new addons with new non-discounted rates (you get those discount over time and history).

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
USAA auto insurance offers a reduced rate for cars in storage.

You provide the storage location, and the car will not be covered anywhere except in static storage at the location.

The savings is only around 10-20% off your normal premium, depending on coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro