WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can I register my cars and toys in AZ???

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Just bought a place (finally) at havasu springs. I wanted to register my dually, RZR and the wife’s car in AZ. We are CA residents can I do this with simply getting AZ IDs now that we have an address? Just want to avoid claiming AZ as my primary residence and screwing myself with taxes or capitol gains if I sell my CA house one day. I’m sure plenty of you have done this any help would be appreciated.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Can you? Yes. Will CA break it off in your ass when you’re caught. Yes. Don’t bother till you can make AZ your residence.
In what way can CA do that? Forgive my ignorance

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Little bit of Russian Roulette.
They'll rake you through the coals to register your car in Ca if you're caught driving it daily in Ca with a Ca drivers license. They encourage snitching.
Insuring it can raise a red flag....ya know, Ca insured on an Az registered car or Az insured with Ca driver license.

racetrash

Reaction score
Until you are fully residing in AZ, meaning house, drivers license, paying state taxes...ca will hit you hard. AZ truck pulling a ca trailer..no go. Better have Az residence.

Cdog

Reaction score

When you’re pulled over with a AZ plate or turned in by your California neighbors. There’s a hotline to turn people in.

As a non AZ resident you don’t really save any money either. Only advantage I see is a side by side since you can plate it in AZ but you’ll have to put it on its own insurance.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
How old are the cars/trucks? Az is not cheaper when registering new ones. It starts to get better after 5yrs old I think.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Good to know. I may just stick the RZR then since it will live there.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The RZR is fine to register in AZ. Register your car in AZ in the wife’s name only. Register her car in AZ in your name only. Shrug yore shoulders of you get pulled over by CA cops and say, it’s not my car.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have heard all the above and had most of my cars there for at least 5+ years and never had any problem. The last couple years I finally got and AZ license and still had a CA job that required lots of driving in a company car again no problem. Just never have a reason to get stopped.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
we split it,... my stuff reg. havasu,... wifes stuf vegas... cal got me at the ramp with nv on truck nv lic, and az boat and trailer... az cop made me get a az lic,... said I worked there, even though it was my own house...

dspracing

Reaction score
Dually is a 2015 but CA bones you because of the weight as many of you know. And the luxury tax on the toys is a joke.
My buddy apparently put a shell on his truck, went to auto club and registered it as a camper. Saved him a ton.
Like LOF said cross register the vehicles. The toys go ahead and register them in AZ, don’t need the ID to do that.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
I have a CDL too so I’m not sure how all that would work. Job requires a CA drivers license so I got to keep it here

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The way I heard it was...

If you have a CA drivers license, and an AZ registration, both in your name, you're toast.

toast? Like how?

If pulled over just say,
Sorry officer, just needed to get my az car fixed by my mechanic.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
toast? Like how?

If pulled over just say,
Sorry officer, just needed to get my az car fixed by my mechanic.
I guess that goes along with why I asked in the first place, wondering legally what they can write you a ticket for?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I guess that goes along with why I asked in the first place, wondering legally what they can write you a ticket for?

Not having a registered vehicle. It is a fine, no points on your record.

There is a website so your neighbors can snitch on you as well.

propcheck

Reaction score
If it helps I have had my boat registered in Arizona and my trailer as PTI in CA since 2004 and the same with five boats before. Never an issue till three years ago when I was stopped by a fish and game cuck on the launch for the delta who questioned it vs. my ca ID and I said “just following your rules” please write what Ever ticket you think you can And I will be on my way. After Two phone calls in his truck and me and my friends laughing at him he handed me back my info and I was on my way. Moral of the story follow the rules and you never have to worry about stuff.
👍. Oh yeah my AZ registration is more than the Ca. But I like AZ so that is who I give my money to

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
we have two boats and trailers and a suv with az plates there full of shit if you do get pulled over for speeding the just take the ticket pay the 189 in Barstow. You do pay property taxes in az and your property is for investment

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
agreed. Everyone has a story either 2nd or even 3rd hand but not first hand knowledge.

I tow a 5er around with MT plates and a CA license

I don't own a single thing that isn't MT plated...we have HI DL's but its never been an issue....even when I got broadsided last year in TX. We pay our income tax and declare residency back in HI.. Much like I told the only douche I've encountered...explain to me how im going to register this in HI...when im just here on "vacation" or for my wife's education...ill wait.

Last edited:

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
The RZR is fine to register in AZ. Register your car in AZ in the wife’s name only. Register her car in AZ in your name only. Shrug yore shoulders of you get pulled over by CA cops and say, it’s not my car.

Lol nice try. But no.

We all know there’s really only one agency that’s going to fuck anyone over this… [emoji51][emoji2325]

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It’s not big, it’s about $400. The fine is $196 plus fees.
The fine is only $400..... but they will also hit you with all the back registration from the time you moved the registration to the incident date. Even if you aren't responsible for all of it (the vehicle was actually at your river residence for a portion of that time), it will be on you to prove that.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
It’s not big, it’s about $400. The fine is $196 plus fees.
Plus back owed registration, and Ca decides how long it's been here. I had my truck registered in AZ when I had a place there. It stayed at the place 99.9% of the time. When I brought it home, I stopped in Needles and registered it back in Ca. Ca doesn't fuck around, they seized my bank account when they thought I owed them money for the registration.
Dually is a 2015 but CA bones you because of the weight as many of you know. And the luxury tax on the toys is a joke.
My buddy apparently put a shell on his truck, went to auto club and registered it as a camper. Saved him a ton.
Like LOF said cross register the vehicles. The toys go ahead and register them in AZ, don’t need the ID to do that.
This, but don't get caught without it.

Edit
The fine is only $400..... but they will also hit you with all the back registration from the time you moved the registration to the incident date. Even if you aren't responsible for all of it (the vehicle was actually at your river residence for a portion of that time), it will be on you to prove that.
beat me to it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Never had an issue, we gave up our California driver licenses a long time ago and got AZ ones instead so we could buy guns. You won’t save any money on the registration and I have found for some reason havasu has higher auto insurance rates than Orange County.

We have all of our big ticket items registered in Montana and that’s never been an issue either.

Boat 405

Reaction score
As far as the toys if you never use them in CA then who cares.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lol nice try. But no.

We all know there’s really only one agency that’s going to fuck anyone over this… [emoji51][emoji2325]

If the car is not in my name, what can really be done from a registration perspective on the side of the road?

If I have an AZ Company and the car is registered to that company, what then?

I understand you can just write a ticket and let the judge sort it out but in essence these are borrowed or company vehicles. I have proof of AZ storage of said vehicles and they were just in CA for a day or two, and I also have a CA registered car.

You just have to have your story straight if you are gonna do it. With how expensive reg is in AZ I would only do it to avoid smog or to avoid sales tax on a private party purchase.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
Good to know. I may just stick the RZR then since it will live there.
Advantage of az reg on rzr is you can street legal it in az. Downside is if you come to ca with it they can ding you too.you can get the out of state sticker for it and should be good through.
If you don’t care to get street legal then just keep ca tags. Price is about the same.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Advantage of az reg on rzr is you can street legal it in az. Downside is if you come to ca with it they can ding you too.you can get the out of state sticker for it and should be good through.
If you don’t care to get street legal then just keep ca tags. Price is about the same.

YOU DONT NEED AN OUT OF STATE OHV STICKER IN CA IF YOU ARE OHV REGd IN AZ.

From that page

An Arizona "MC" plate is registration and is accepted for off-highway operation in California. A vehicle with an Arizona "MC" plate may or may not be street legal in California. In order to be street legal, a vehicle must be designed and tested by the manufacturer for highway use consistent with federal regulations (e.g., legally equipped dual-sport motorcycle).

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
What is actually required to register a Calif vehicle in AZ? Do you need an AZ DL and does the vehicle need to be present at the time you make the switch? I know you needa physical address and AZ isnurance.

I am considering this as an option for a vehicle that wont pass the BS Calif smog requirements but is completely smog legal in all other 49 states. It was randomly flagged for the referee this renewal and I refuse to take the car to them so they can pick it apart and screw me. I will non op before the ref sees my car.

I rarely drive the car and its garaged and covered 90% of the time. The cost and labor involved to switch things back are way to costly and as of now I cant renew the Calif reg. I have 3 other vehicles including my daily driver that would all remain Calif registered.

Its not a regis cost issue for me its I want to be able to take the car out for a drive on a Sunday and as of now that is a no go in this commie liberal state.

Taboma

Reaction score
If the car is not in my name, what can really be done from a registration perspective on the side of the road?

If I have an AZ Company and the car is registered to that company, what then?

I understand you can just write a ticket and let the judge sort it out but in essence these are borrowed or company vehicles. I have proof of AZ storage of said vehicles and they were just in CA for a day or two, and I also have a CA registered car.

You just have to have your story straight if you are gonna do it. With how expensive reg is in AZ I would only do it to avoid smog or to avoid sales tax on a private party purchase.

When we landed a couple of electrical construction projects in AZ years ago, we had to register them in AZ for the duration, then re-register them back in CA when the project was completed and the trucks returned to CA. Being company vehicles didn't exempt us and in fact having the company name on the trucks made us easy targets.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When we landed a couple of electrical construction projects in AZ years ago, we had to register them in AZ for the duration, then re-register them back in CA when the project was completed and the trucks returned to CA. Being company vehicles didn't exempt us and in fact having the company name on the trucks made us easy targets.

That's because the vehicles were on the road in another state for the duration of the project. The question becomes what state law am I supposed to break?

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
@LakeMeadLavey You walk into MVD and register the vehicle. You will need an address where the car is stored and for mail. That is it. You don’t need a AZ DL.

I registered my car there for the same reason as you, and still have cars registered in CA.

Good to know that's looking like my easiest option. Thank you for the info.

77charger

Reaction score
YOU DONT NEED AN OUT OF STATE OHV STICKER IN CA IF YOU ARE OHV REGd IN AZ.

From that page

An Arizona "MC" plate is registration and is accepted for off-highway operation in California. A vehicle with an Arizona "MC" plate may or may not be street legal in California. In order to be street legal, a vehicle must be designed and tested by the manufacturer for highway use consistent with federal regulations (e.g., legally equipped dual-sport motorcycle).
You do with a ca lic and az reg seen it firsthand in glamis.

If you are az registered and lic your good to go.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You do with a ca lic and az reg seen it firsthand in glamis.

If you are az registered and lic your good to go.

You sure they didn't have an AZ RV plate?

A cop can write you a ticket for anything.. It does not mean they are in the right when they do so.

Get and AZ ID while you are in the MVD registering your UTV if you are worried about it.

77charger

Reaction score

A cop can write you a ticket for anything.. It does not mean they are in the right when they do so.

Get and AZ ID while you are in the MVD registering your UTV if you are worried about it.
Nope regular mc plate with ohv sticker I’m aware of the rv plate here.

Friend would have been better letting someone in our group say they borrowed it then would have been fine. Usfs ranger came by camp few years ago checking.funny thing the ca tagged ohvs just looked at to see expiration dates.

Taboma

Reaction score

Since you continue to offer the recommendation " Get an AZ ID", I'm going to ask again --- How by providing the documentation requested on the ADOT DL/ID registration form, are you NOT committing fraud, when the form clearly states, you are submitting the two documents as proof of RESIDENCY ?
Personally, I don't care who gets or has one, but I'm certainly not going to recommend on this forum that anybody submit documents under fraudulent pretext in order to obtain an ID to save a few bucks or purchase weapons in AZ. Which in that case, you're then committing federal fraud.

Do what you wish sir, but here's what the actual form states and requires. I'm not posting this for your benefit or edification, it's for those who are now thinking " Oh cool, we read it on RDP " so we're good to go.

If I'm wrong, please show me, I'd appreciate knowing I am, because next time in Havasu, I'll be at the MVD getting my ID. I want to be proven wrong.
I've already had the state of AZ on my ass and threatening litigation for fraud and that was an honest mistake when I didn't even know they offered a non-resident registration and the boat seller submitted it incorrectly, I didn't.

Where on this form does it give me the option of NOT-proving I'm a resident ??

AZ ID document.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Since you continue to offer the recommendation " Get an AZ ID", I'm going to ask again --- How by providing the documentation requested on the ADOT DL/ID registration form, are you NOT committing fraud, when the form clearly states, you are submitting the two documents as proof of RESIDENCY ?
Personally, I don't care who gets or has one, but I'm certainly not going to recommend on this forum that anybody submit documents under fraudulent pretext in order to obtain an ID to save a few bucks or purchase weapons in AZ. Which in that case, you're then committing federal fraud.

Do what you wish sir, but here's what the actual form states and requires. I'm not posting this for your benefit or edification, it's for those who are now thinking " Oh cool, we read it on RDP " so we're good to go.

If I'm wrong, please show me, I'd appreciate knowing I am, because next time in Havasu, I'll be at the MVD getting my ID. I want to be proven wrong.
I've already had the state of AZ on my ass and threatening litigation for fraud and that was an honest mistake when I didn't even know they offered a non-resident registration and the boat seller submitted it incorrectly, I didn't.

Where on this form does it give me the option of NOT-proving I'm a resident ??

View attachment 1027795

Do you see anything there with regards to defining "residency"? I own a residence in AZ, and I stay there for a period of time. Case closed. I'm not trying to establish primary residency there. You can get an ID in every state if you wanted to.

I pay non resident registration fees for my cars and boats. I am a non resident in the AZ system. The black helicopters have not come to take me or anyone else away. They were up your ass because you don't have your primary residency (taxation) set up in AZ.

Now my ID is the "non travel ID", I would ask for that one. I literally walked into MVD showed them the paperwork and walked out. I think I literally used my CA DL as my primary document for identification.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Do you see anything there with regards to defining "residency"? I own a residence in AZ, and I stay there for a period of time. Case closed. I'm not trying to establish primary residency there. You can get an ID in every state if you wanted to.

I pay non resident registration fees for my cars and boats. I am a non resident in the AZ system. The black helicopters have not come to take me or anyone else away. They were up your ass because you don't have your primary residency (taxation) set up in AZ.

Now my ID is the "non travel ID", I would ask for that one. I literally walked into MVD showed them the paperwork and walked out. I think I literally used my CA DL as my primary document for identification.

I don't need to define residency for you, there's plenty of definitions available and Boatcop has stated numerous times, you can be a resident of ONE state.
So you're telling me, I can walk into the AZ MVD, state I'm a resident of California, show them my CA DL, and obtain and AZ non-Travel ID ? I can even show them proof I own several properties and a residence, but if they ask if I'm a resident, I will say NO I'm not.
But I can not offer two documents that prove AZ residency as the form clearly requests, unless I stipulate, they do NOT prove residency, they just prove I pay property taxes and utility bills.
There is a really big difference, they are not one and the same thing.

Show me one form, any form any document that states AZ will provide a Non-Resident ID card --- or provide an ID to a non-resident with out of state ID --- ONE, just one, please.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don't need to define residency for you, there's plenty of definitions available and Boatcop has stated numerous times, you can be a resident of ONE state.
So you're telling me, I can walk into the AZ MVD, state I'm a resident of California, show them my CA DL, and obtain and AZ non-Travel ID ? I can even show them proof I own several properties and a residence, but if they ask if I'm a resident, I will say NO I'm not.
But I can not offer two documents that prove AZ residency as the form clearly requests, unless I stipulate, they do NOT prove residency, they just prove I pay property taxes and utility bills.
There is a really big difference, they are not one and the same thing.

Show me one form, any form any document that states AZ will provide a Non-Resident ID card --- or provide an ID to a non-resident with out of state ID --- ONE, just one, please.

What you are saying is exactly what I and thousands of others have done. You are proving RESIDENCY, not that you are a full time RESIDENT. There is clearly a difference, because they gave me an ID, and I pay for everything in the MVD and Dept of Game and Fish as a NON RESIDENT and no one cares.

The "big difference" you speak of is trying to then claim AZ as your PRIMARY residence and trying to pay resident rates for registration etc. Then they make you jump through many more hoops to prove that AZ is your PRIMARY residence.

If you are that worried about it, don't do it, but it is literally a simple process doing exactly what you laid out. You just tell them you are not a full time resident.