WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can I register my cars and toys in AZ???

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm doing.

My Essex is AZ Non-Resident, my extreme trailer is now CA. The Autoclub inspected it and it was really no big deal.

I figured it was a wash either way so I left it as it was when purchased. However pulling that fucker in CA with an AZ plate in my name is problems. Hence the CA on the trailer. I'm not even sure I can register the trailer in AZ without a residence now that I think of it. Certainly not through the mail as I did with the AZ Boat registration.

CA trailer reg for a boat trailer if you are a CA resident is actually the better move anyway.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Do i need a non-resident ID to purchase a 5-star tuner? CARB doesnt let me buy one in California 😢

They wont ship to a CA address. They may not ship to an AZ address if you use CA billing address. They look at the billing address for ammo and magazine purchases, not sure if everyone does that for car parts....yet.

But no you don't need an ID.

Taboma

Reaction score
Lol, I have a Ca registered vehicle that I keep in Az full time but on rare occasion drive into Ca. For a few years I was able to get a smog test exemption at renewal time. Then finally one year they insisted I get a smog on it. Well timing of this was during a period the car sat 3-4 months untouched. We departed Az too soon to smog for renewal and too late after our return.
Ca Dmv simply told me to register the car in Az. Me: But, but, but, I drive it into Ca every so often? Dmv: well that won't be legal anymore.
So now, I pay the Ca dmv fees so they aren't delinquent, they send me notice it's incomplete and not a valid registration, then when I do get back to Az I "illegally" drive it to Needles, get it smogged, drop by the Needles dmv office and get my tags on the spot.

I played all those games for years with the Jeep we kept garaged in Havasu and only used there. With the various SxS we weren't using it anymore, so I got that monkey off my back by selling it. Plus dealing with the old gas from just sitting, huge pain in the ass I was glad to get rid of.

Taboma

Reaction score
If i was you I'd just stay and keep it all in CA, it's super nice there 🤣 🤣
I loved CA growing up, especially before all the A-holes moved here from everywhere else and screwed it up. I also love where I live here now and for the past 30 years --- well not so much the getting burned out couple of years, but before and now after that were awesome.
The difference is, I can afford to live here, if I was broke, I'd move to Nevada with the rest of that lot. ;)

Reactions: DWC

Taboma

Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm doing.

My Essex is AZ Non-Resident, my extreme trailer is now CA. The Autoclub inspected it and it was really no big deal.

I figured it was a wash either way so I left it as it was when purchased. However pulling that fucker in CA with an AZ plate in my name is problems. Hence the CA on the trailer. I'm not even sure I can register the trailer in AZ without a residence now that I think of it. Certainly not through the mail as I did with the AZ Boat registration.

All our various water toys have been registered in AZ for 26 years, I only got the bad boy letter from AZ because I trusted Jim Cole's secretary and she'd registered my boat as resident.
Our Wildcat has AZ plates and OHV sticker and all the toys including that one are insured in AZ. All my trailers are registered in CA, although none have been back to CA in 20 years.

530RL

Reaction score
State laws sometimes conflict. Such as CA and AZ with respect to registrations for people who own property and spend time in both states.

I've never met a judge that would enforce a fine or whatever if you simply explain what you were doing and why. They get that sometimes regulations conflict.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
CA trailer reg for a boat trailer if you are a CA resident is actually the better move anyway.

In a previous business we had a building in Santa Ana and one in Medford Oregon. We had a Toyota stakebed that ran back and forth on a semi regular basis.
I was moving a fairly large injection mold from a vendor in Irvine to the Mold Maker that built it in Chino for engineering changes and got pulled over on the 71. CHP was real heavy badged, would listen to nothing, and I received a ticket and a mandatory appear. The Judge listened to me and all worked out but he said register the truck here because Oregon doesn't care. This was 20+ years ago so I could only imagine how much worse it is now.

Reactions: DWC

Taboma

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont
I contacted the AZDOT MVD department and I stated our status of having owned a residence in LHC for 26 years, but our legal residency is in CA. I then posed the question to the nice lady.
Can we obtain an AZ ID Card while retaining our legal residency in CA ?
Initially had her stumped as she responded with " I don't know, but that's a great question. Please hold while I get the answer"

When she returned to the line, I'm please to state, she said YES YOU CAN obtain a Non-Travel Arizona ID Card. To obtain a Travel ID, it would require proof of legal AZ residency. She stated to bring a birth certificate and have your SS # to your local MVD to obtain the ID.

So you sir are correct 👍 👍 👍 Next visit to town I'm obtain one, although I'm not sure what purpose it will serve unless I take my OHV stickered SxS to Glamis.

The question now will be, will a federally restricted Non-Travel ID serve as proper identification for firearms purchase as apparently these IDs were prior to " Real ID's" being issued ?
If not, and other than Glamis, what purpose would one serve, that my CA DL wouldn't work for ??

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont
I contacted the AZDOT MVD department and I stated our status of having owned a residence in LHC for 26 years, but our legal residency is in CA. I then posed the question to the nice lady.
Can we obtain an AZ ID Card while retaining our legal residency in CA ?
Initially had her stumped as she responded with " I don't know, but that's a great question. Please hold while I get the answer"

When she returned to the line, I'm please to state, she said YES YOU CAN obtain a Non-Travel Arizona ID Card. To obtain a Travel ID, it would require proof of legal AZ residency. She stated to bring a birth certificate and have your SS # to your local MVD to obtain the ID.

So you sir are correct 👍 👍 👍 Next visit to town I'm obtain one, although I'm not sure what purpose it will serve unless I take my OHV stickered SxS to Glamis.

The question now will be, will a federally restricted Non-Travel ID serve as proper identification for firearms purchase as apparently these IDs were prior to " Real ID's" being issued ?
If not, and other than Glamis, what purpose would one serve, that my CA DL wouldn't work for ??

Good news. I'm glad we got this sorted out for future generations. Good question on the firearm front, I know many folks in this same scenario have bought firearms using the non-travel ID lately, as recently as a month ago, without issue.

So your finding also explains why we were never asked for the "residency documents" upon requesting the AZ ID. It sounds like they are not needed for the Non-Travel ID. You just need to prove you are who you say you are, and not where you live.

And it goes back to what @PlanB mentioned.. From an ATF and gun purchase perspective, your residency is where you are at that time, with respect to using your AZ ID. Now if the Travel ID turns into a Travel and Gun ID, things may change.

Taboma

Reaction score
Good news. I'm glad we got this sorted out for future generations. Good question on the firearm front, I know many folks in this same scenario have bought firearms using the non-travel ID lately, as recently as a month ago, without issue.

So your finding also explains why we were never asked for the "residency documents" upon requesting the AZ ID. It sounds like they are not needed for the Non-Travel ID. You just need to prove you are who you say you are, and not where you live.

And it goes back to what @PlanB mentioned.. From an ATF and gun purchase perspective, your residency is where you are at that time, with respect to using your AZ ID. Now if the Travel ID turns into a Travel and Gun ID, things may change.

I agree. 👍
Having never seen an older ID or either of the newer ones, I haven't a clue how they'd compare. I've also never tried to purchase a weapon in AZ, so no clue what the dealer requires.
One of my ranch neighbors does own a large gun store in AZ, I'll have to check with him.
So besides OHV and Guns ( Realizing Guns is a huge " Besides" to many), is there any other reason for the AZ NT ID that you've needed it for ?

Taboma

Reaction score
I have a non-travel AZ id card and a AZ CCW. I got both of them last year during covid. I have not had any issues with buying fIRearms in AZ.

Do you know, is this Non-Travel ID different in appearance to the previous ID's prior to travel, non-travel ?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree. 👍
Having never seen an older ID or either of the newer ones, I haven't a clue how they'd compare. I've also never tried to purchase a weapon in AZ, so no clue what the dealer requires.
One of my ranch neighbors does own a large gun store in AZ, I'll have to check with him.
So besides OHV and Guns ( Realizing Guns is a huge " Besides" to many), is there any other reason for the AZ NT ID that you've needed it for ?

No. I was going to use it on the boat before getting my CA boaters card, if I was ever asked about it. I really just got it as a hedge for those "out of state" registration situations, and just as a backup form of ID. I don't generally carry it in my wallet, I leave it at the house. If I lost my wallet in the desert or out on the boat, At least I'd have an ID.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Do you know, is this Non-Travel ID different in appearance to the previous ID's prior to travel, non-travel ?
My Ca real ID only changed with the gold bear star stamp, I'd imagine Az would be much the same as in the pics below.
Screenshot_20210722-101133_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20210722-101154_Google.jpg

PlanB

Reaction score
I agree. 👍

The reason we got our AZ ID's 20 years ago was to avoid the line to get into Kokomo. They had a locals line then the line for everyone else. No wait for the locals... 😄

D19

Reaction score
Just left MVD. AZ goes off MSRP for 1st 5 years. To register our Ford was going to be $250 dollars more than CA. Doesn’t really make sense to do on anything under 5 years.

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
Just left MVD. AZ goes off MSRP for 1st 5 years. To register our Ford was going to be $250 dollars more than CA. Doesn’t really make sense to do on anything under 5 years.

The MVD site does not clarify if you bring in a used vehicle from another State to register in AZ. if they apply the decending rate on the registration based on the year of vehicle, or as you State they start at msrp on a used car.
I would like to register my 2016 truck in AZ. as it will be there 90% of the time, and strangely the insurance is about half, so saves me around $400 a year.
My Cali registration is due end of this month and I still pay $540 for a 1/2 ton....

What year was your car ?

77charger

Reaction score
What i have heard as well.I do know my 04 2500hd went from 375 in ca to 75 bucks and next one should be 40 range.

Reactions: D19

grumpy88

Reaction score
Nevada uses msrp and when we moved here my wifes registration went up over 200 dollars . At 2 years old they still valued it at more then i paid for it . Its b.s.

Reactions: D19

77charger

Reaction score
Nevada uses msrp and when we moved here my wifes registration went up over 200 dollars . At 2 years old they still valued it at more then i paid for it . Its b.s.
Look at the postive right now buy a used truck it cost more than the msrp and they are only charging you for that and not what you really paid.LOL

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Do i need a non-resident ID to purchase a 5-star tuner? CARB doesnt let me buy one in California 😢

Nope they don’t check IDs for that but you already knew that. LOL. I do know someone in AZ that received standard flow shower head for a friend and delivered it to CA since Amazon won’t delivered to an CA address.

Taboma

Reaction score
Nope they don’t check IDs for that but you already knew that. LOL. I do know someone in AZ that received standard flow shower head for a friend and delivered it to CA since Amazon won’t delivered to an CA address.

Does Home Depot In Havasu offer standard flow ? Never checked, seems most every product, like pesticides as one example, appear to be exactly the same as CA.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Does Home Depot In Havasu offer standard flow ? Never checked, seems most every product, like pesticides as one example, appear to be exactly the same as CA.

No idea. The CA homeowner found what he wanted and they would not ship to his CA address. So he sent it to a friend in AZ and the friend got it to the guy in CA

D19

Reaction score
The MVD site does not clarify if you bring in a used vehicle from another State to register in AZ. if they apply the decending rate on the registration based on the year of vehicle, or as you State they start at msrp on a used car.
I would like to register my 2016 truck in AZ. as it will be there 90% of the time, and strangely the insurance is about half, so saves me around $400 a year.
My Cali registration is due end of this month and I still pay $540 for a 1/2 ton....

What year was your car ?

2019. I need to call my insurance broker on Monday and see if have AZ polices make it worth it. If so, I’ll still do it

Dalton

Reaction score
You can have a AZ address on a CA DL, had to do that when I was working in CA years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
2019. I need to call my insurance broker on Monday and see if have AZ polices make it worth it. If so, I’ll still do it
I have the Havasu house through Progressive/Homesite, the new boat, and they quoted about $228 for 6 months....so crazy less than Geico in Cali, I am at around $440 for 6 months through Geico In Cali on the truck...This is for very good coverage ....but I do have a umbrella also.
Sounds like having the house and boat gives a good discount.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Ive had faucets, garage door openers and shower heads delivered to Havasu that they would not ship to my local Home Depot.

Taboma

Reaction score
Ive had faucets, garage door openers and shower heads delivered to Havasu that they would not ship to my local Home Depot.

Items you ordered from HD online for PU at the Havasu store ? I'll have to remember that if I need to replace a GD opener. Just seemed the in stock items, especially banned CA pesticides, rodenticides, were same as at home, noticed the same at Tractor Supply.

Your ad here

Reaction score
It was worth it till Covid. Now ADOT is more screwed up than the CA DMV and there is a $30 something safety fee for every vehicle registration. 3rd party service fees are expensive and can no longer give you a plate or title on the spot.
Az Game and Fish off Carefree Hwy was ridiculous. Had to transfer the ownership on my boat. Drive in and empty parking lot. You have to make an appointment and 2 people answering phones. Come back next week and it was like doing a drug deal. Call in, meet by door, door unlocks and paperwork slides out, fill out paperwork and knock when ready, hand over paperwork and payment, they comeback with the registration and receipt. Never saw the person, just part of a hand.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I have a CDL too so I’m not sure how all that would work. Job requires a CA drivers license so I got to keep it here

You can have a California license with an Arizona address. YES. YOU. CAN.

RVRKID

Reaction score
This is what I have, didn’t want to fuck with CA and legal in AZ

Attachments

• 3FB9E0C1-40B8-493A-9EA6-FDB73EDD4B5B.jpeg
    3FB9E0C1-40B8-493A-9EA6-FDB73EDD4B5B.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 54

Mike K

Reaction score
I've owned a vacation home in Havasu since 2003.
I registered my boat and my" left in Havasu truck" since then.
Every year the costs for registrations on all my "left in" Havasu toys / cars / trucks/ Jeeps/ Boats / RZRs etc have gone up and up and up ... now it costs more to register my boat in AZ because I am a California resident that "happens to have a vacation home in AZ" even with the CA luxury boat tax.
No more savings.
I even get hit hard on property taxes as a vacationer.
The only reason to register your boat in AZ is to keep the AZ Fish & Game, Sheriff's Dept and boat cops off your ass in the water.
Peeps from CA pay dearly to play in AZ.
Sadly ... AZ is gonna get your money one way or another.

Lucky225

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but I can see why this is becoming confusing, amusingly so because AZ MVD has ironically tried to make it 'not confusing' with their push to get AZ residents to obtain Travel ID(TID) instead of the standard non-Travel ID. I'm basically replying because I think @Taboma will get a kick out of this after reading his commentary about not finding a single thread of evidence that AZ will issue ID to non-residents, it's an INTENTIONAL and actually rather RECENT deception that happened in the last few years. Ironically it used to state in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that NO PROOF OF RESIDENCY is required for non-travel ID or driver licenses, but the MVD is pushing people to get the TID and AZ residents simply didn't want to bring their actual proof in, so now they've deceptively made it look like proof IS required when it's NOT.

Take a look at these excerpts from https://azdot.gov/sites/default/files/2019/09/FY-2021-Operating-Budget-Request.pdf

1672691162634.png

1672691513015.png

They "synchronized" documentation requirements for travel and non-travel ID (i.e. they deleted the section that specifically outlined no proof of residency was required for the non-travel version and neglected to inform you that the '2 proofs of residency' on the same document is only for the TID) and proceeded to remove the 'no residency documents required' version of these documents from their website.

They did this because actual VALID reasons for not applying for the TID could not be dismissed by MVD staff:

image.png

Customers who want a 'until 65 version' of a DL? Too bad we're gonna deceive you into thinking the TID is required by making our documentation 'less confusing'(orwellianly MORE confusing) and let you get the TID that expires in a few years. Customers who have a passport and don't need a TID? Let's pretend they need it anyways? You can in fact enter all federal facilities and airports with a passport if you have a 'standard' non-travel AZ ID or DL.

Before 2019 there were 2 separate documents and it was VERY clear TID was the ONLY one that required residency proof

Archives from 2018:
https://web.archive.org/web/2018031...of-identification-age-and-authorized-presence -- Website clearly delineating between the two
1672691903085.png

https://web.archive.org/web/2018012...t-source/mvd-forms-pubs/96-0155.pdf?sfvrsn=16 -- Regular/Standard ID/DL requirements with no residency requirement
https://web.archive.org/web/2018012...t-source/mvd-forms-pubs/40-5144.pdf?sfvrsn=12 -- "Voluntary" Travel ID with residency requirments
https://web.archive.org/web/2018020...t-source/mvd-forms-pubs/40-5143.pdf?sfvrsn=10 -- the OLD version of the Arizona residency affidavit for Travel ID, clearly stated that this affidavit was required because the TID requires residency proof:

1672692102160.png

They have since updated this form to make it less transparent that it is for Travel ID(TID) only:

1672692209637.png

However, the link to it still acknowledges this is for TID only:
1672692264347.png

However AZ law backs up that residence is not needed, see ARS 28-3165. Nonoperating identification license; immunity; rules; emancipated minors; definition

F. On application, an applicant shall give the department satisfactory proof of the applicant's full legal name, date of birth, sex and residence address, ***if the applicant has a residence address***, and that the applicant's presence in the United States is authorized under federal law. The application shall briefly describe the applicant, state whether the applicant has been licensed, and if so, the type of license issued, when and by what state or country and whether any such license is under suspension, revocation or cancellation. The application shall contain other identifying information required by the department.
It's even FREE for vets without a residence address:
J. The fees established pursuant to this section do not apply to any of the following:
3. A veteran who ***does not have a residence address***.

ARS 28-3158. Driver license or instruction permit application
C. An applicant for an instruction permit or a driver license shall give the department satisfactory proof of the applicant's full legal name, date of birth, sex and domicile residence address in this state, ***if the applicant has a residence address***, and that the applicant's presence in the United States is authorized under federal law.

Perhaps the biggest reason for this delusion is because Arizona technically can't under current state law even implement Real ID:
ARS 28-336. REAL ID act; implementation prohibited

This state shall not participate in the implementation of the REAL ID act of 2005 (P.L. 109-13, division B; 119 Stat. 302). The department shall not implement the REAL ID act of 2005 and shall report to the governor and the legislature any attempt by agencies or agents of the United States department of homeland security to secure the implementation of the REAL ID act of 2005 through the operations of the United States department of homeland security.
---

Thus MVD is stuck in this hard place where they can't technically issue Real ID compliant licenses as there is no statute that authorizes them, and to the contrary, they're actually prohibited by state law from doing so, so they're operating under this legal fiction that Travel ID is 'voluntary' and the requirements (proof of residency) are what's needed under the Real ID Act for it to be compliant, so they did actually promulgate rules that proof of residence is required for this new voluntary credential, but no such regulations exist for ID or DL.

Edit: However it does look like ironically for ID and *not* DL purposes as of 2022 they updated their regs to require residence address for travel and non-travel ID

1672694012592.png

1672694384919.png

They literally updated this in Sep 2022.. very sneaky. Curiously there is no similar regulation for non-Travel Arizona DL in the Arizona Administrative Code..

Edit #2: Looks like they started doing the Travel ID in 2016 which caused this whole confusion:

ARS 28-3175. Driver licenses; nonoperating identification licenses; use for boarding aircraft; accessing restricted areas; rules

A. Notwithstanding any other law, on or before April 1, 2016, if a driver license applicant or nonoperating identification license applicant requests a driver license or nonoperating identification license that allows the applicant to board a federally regulated commercial aircraft or to access restricted areas in federal facilities, nuclear power plants or military facilities, the department must issue the applicant the driver license or nonoperating identification license.
--

Seems to me that the letter of the statute only requires 'proof' if you have a residence address though, yet to issue the voluntary compliant ones they have to require proof per federal law and so things have got co-mingled since 2016 with an intentional delusion made in 2019, and then an attempt to harmonize the Administrative Code in 2022 that left out non-Travel Driver Licenses. A very confusing legal grey area seems to exist currently.

Anyhow if you read this far thanks for going down that rabbit hole with me lol

Last edited:

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I don't need to define residency for you, there's plenty of definitions available and Boatcop has stated numerous times, you can be a resident of ONE state.
So you're telling me, I can walk into the AZ MVD, state I'm a resident of California, show them my CA DL, and obtain and AZ non-Travel ID ? I can even show them proof I own several properties and a residence, but if they ask if I'm a resident, I will say NO I'm not.
But I can not offer two documents that prove AZ residency as the form clearly requests, unless I stipulate, they do NOT prove residency, they just prove I pay property taxes and utility bills.
There is a really big difference, they are not one and the same thing.

Show me one form, any form any document that states AZ will provide a Non-Resident ID card --- or provide an ID to a non-resident with out of state ID --- ONE, just one, please.
non resident CCW?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but I can see why this is becoming confusing, amusingly so because AZ MVD has ironically tried to make it 'not confusing' with their push to get AZ residents to obtain Travel ID(TID) instead of the standard non-Travel ID. I'm basically replying because I think @Taboma will get a kick out of this after reading his commentary about not finding a single thread of evidence that AZ will issue ID to non-residents, it's an INTENTIONAL and actually rather RECENT deception that happened in the last few years. Ironically it used to state in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that NO PROOF OF RESIDENCY is required for non-travel ID or driver licenses, but the MVD is pushing people to get the TID and AZ residents simply didn't want to bring their actual proof in, so now they've deceptively made it look like proof IS required when it's NOT.

Take a look at these excerpts from https://azdot.gov/sites/default/files/2019/09/FY-2021-Operating-Budget-Request.pdf

View attachment 1185622
View attachment 1185624

They "synchronized" documentation requirements for travel and non-travel ID (i.e. they deleted the section that specifically outlined no proof of residency was required for the non-travel version and neglected to inform you that the '2 proofs of residency' on the same document is only for the TID) and proceeded to remove the 'no residency documents required' version of these documents from their website.

They did this because actual VALID reasons for not applying for the TID could not be dismissed by MVD staff:

image.png

Customers who want a 'until 65 version' of a DL? Too bad we're gonna deceive you into thinking the TID is required by making our documentation 'less confusing'(orwellianly MORE confusing) and let you get the TID that expires in a few years. Customers who have a passport and don't need a TID? Let's pretend they need it anyways? You can in fact enter all federal facilities and airports with a passport if you have a 'standard' non-travel AZ ID or DL.

Before 2019 there were 2 separate documents and it was VERY clear TID was the ONLY one that required residency proof

Archives from 2018:
https://web.archive.org/web/2018031...of-identification-age-and-authorized-presence -- Website clearly delineating between the two
View attachment 1185625
https://web.archive.org/web/2018012...t-source/mvd-forms-pubs/96-0155.pdf?sfvrsn=16 -- Regular/Standard ID/DL requirements with no residency requirement
https://web.archive.org/web/2018012...t-source/mvd-forms-pubs/40-5144.pdf?sfvrsn=12 -- "Voluntary" Travel ID with residency requirments
https://web.archive.org/web/2018020...t-source/mvd-forms-pubs/40-5143.pdf?sfvrsn=10 -- the OLD version of the Arizona residency affidavit for Travel ID, clearly stated that this affidavit was required because the TID requires residency proof:

View attachment 1185626

They have since updated this form to make it less transparent that it is for Travel ID(TID) only:

View attachment 1185627

However, the link to it still acknowledges this is for TID only:
View attachment 1185628

However AZ law backs up that residence is not needed, see ARS 28-3165. Nonoperating identification license; immunity; rules; emancipated minors; definition

F. On application, an applicant shall give the department satisfactory proof of the applicant's full legal name, date of birth, sex and residence address, ***if the applicant has a residence address***, and that the applicant's presence in the United States is authorized under federal law. The application shall briefly describe the applicant, state whether the applicant has been licensed, and if so, the type of license issued, when and by what state or country and whether any such license is under suspension, revocation or cancellation. The application shall contain other identifying information required by the department.
It's even FREE for vets without a residence address:
J. The fees established pursuant to this section do not apply to any of the following:
3. A veteran who ***does not have a residence address***.

ARS 28-3158. Driver license or instruction permit application
C. An applicant for an instruction permit or a driver license shall give the department satisfactory proof of the applicant's full legal name, date of birth, sex and domicile residence address in this state, ***if the applicant has a residence address***, and that the applicant's presence in the United States is authorized under federal law.

Perhaps the biggest reason for this delusion is because Arizona technically can't under current state law even implement Real ID:
ARS 28-336. REAL ID act; implementation prohibited

This state shall not participate in the implementation of the REAL ID act of 2005 (P.L. 109-13, division B; 119 Stat. 302). The department shall not implement the REAL ID act of 2005 and shall report to the governor and the legislature any attempt by agencies or agents of the United States department of homeland security to secure the implementation of the REAL ID act of 2005 through the operations of the United States department of homeland security.
---

Thus MVD is stuck in this hard place where they can't technically issue Real ID compliant licenses as there is no statute that authorizes them, and to the contrary, they're actually prohibited by state law from doing so, so they're operating under this legal fiction that Travel ID is 'voluntary' and the requirements (proof of residency) are what's needed under the Real ID Act for it to be compliant, so they did actually promulgate rules that proof of residence is required for this new voluntary credential, but no such regulations exist for ID or DL.

Edit: However it does look like ironically for ID and *not* DL purposes as of 2022 they updated their regs to require residence address for travel and non-travel ID

View attachment 1185637

View attachment 1185638

They literally updated this in Sep 2022.. very sneaky. Curiously there is no similar regulation for non-Travel Arizona DL in the Arizona Administrative Code..

Edit #2: Looks like they started doing the Travel ID in 2016 which caused this whole confusion:

ARS 28-3175. Driver licenses; nonoperating identification licenses; use for boarding aircraft; accessing restricted areas; rules

A. Notwithstanding any other law, on or before April 1, 2016, if a driver license applicant or nonoperating identification license applicant requests a driver license or nonoperating identification license that allows the applicant to board a federally regulated commercial aircraft or to access restricted areas in federal facilities, nuclear power plants or military facilities, the department must issue the applicant the driver license or nonoperating identification license.
--

Seems to me that the letter of the statute only requires 'proof' if you have a residence address though, yet to issue the voluntary compliant ones they have to require proof per federal law and so things have got co-mingled since 2016 with an intentional delusion made in 2019, and then an attempt to harmonize the Administrative Code in 2022 that left out non-Travel Driver Licenses. A very confusing legal grey area seems to exist currently.

Anyhow if you read this far thanks for going down that rabbit hole with me lol

Good info.

The lesson here is -

Go get your non “real” / non travel AZ ID ASAP :)

Taboma

Reaction score
Good info.

The lesson here is -

Go get your non “real” / non travel AZ ID ASAP :)
Very comprehensive, well done sir 👍 The sole purpose I can think of for obtaining this non-travel ID seems to be for the purchase of firearms.

At least in CA, I believe that only a "Federal" Real ID can be used to purchase firearms, and quite possibly ammo now. Although this was instituted long after my last purchase, so I could be wrong on both counts.

Are there other reasons to acquire and flash one around in AZ ?

PlanB

Reaction score
Very comprehensive, well done sir 👍 The sole purpose I can think of for obtaining this non-travel ID seems to be for the purchase of firearms.

At least in CA, I believe that only a "Federal" Real ID can be used to purchase firearms, and quite possibly ammo now. Although this was instituted long after my last purchase, so I could be wrong on both counts.

Are there other reasons to acquire and flash one around in AZ ?
The original reason we got ID's over twenty years ago was to avoid the long line to get into Kokomo's. There was a separate line for locals that was much shorter. Buying guns is the only reason I can think of these days.

Taboma

Reaction score
The original reason we got ID's over twenty years ago was to avoid the long line to get into Kokomo's. There was a separate line for locals that was much shorter. Buying guns is the only reason I can think of these days.
So the non-real or non-travel, no proof of AZ residency ID still works for walk in, walk out, fire arm purchase ?

PlanB

Reaction score
So the non-real or non-travel, no proof of AZ residency ID still works for walk in, walk out, fire arm purchase ?
Yep. If you have an AZ CCW you can also avoid the BG check.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have purchased several firearms in AZ with just proof of owning property here. They pull a title report online to confirm the name and match to my CA ID. That's all I have ever needed.

gqchris

Reaction score
Same reason I got mine back in the day. Glad i did because its been handy.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
in more ways than guns and Kokomos ?

I would only show my AZ ID on the water or in the desert…. Unless of course you have your CA boaters card and AZ guest off road pass.

You will probably need it to buy a gas generator or lawn equipment soon:)

Taboma

Reaction score
I would only show my AZ ID on the water or in the desert…. Unless of course you have your CA boaters card and AZ guest off road pass.

You will probably need it to buy a gas generator or lawn equipment soon:)
All my toys are flashin AZ signs baby and I'm still two years out on the boaters card --- but good tip on the genny and gross polluting yard implements. 😁