WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can this tire be plugged

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I’m no tire expert, but in my humble opinion this looks like it can be plugged from the inside out. They are not Z rated and they are not run flats.

54077853031__64245584-3DF5-42ED-91DA-BC6F4A94EB4F.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
too close to the sidewall, I have seen worse things get plugged and patched, but I wouldn't recommend it.

4Waters

Reaction score
A tire store probably won't plug that due to the tread wear and proximity to the side wall.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A tire store will not plug that (some may off the books with a large tip kinda thing due to liability). If the puncture is within the outternost row of tread (usually about 1 to 1.5 inches), the tire officially cannot be propeely repaired.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
If it were on my car, Id plug it and put it on the rear axle and keep an eye on it, if it were my wifes, I would replace the tire, but that is just me.

Regarding tire wear, Id say you need an alignment soon. ;)

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Plug AND patch. But no speed runs!

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Plug it yourself and make it your new stair tire

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I'd plug it and keep it as a full size spare. That's what I've done in the past

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Not legal to plug, must be within the center tread area (2" in) not a single tire store will touch it ...well if they want to keep their insurance lol.

There is nothing out there that close to the sidewall to support the plug, punch a hole in it and the belt will eventually unravel.

That tire is done too. Exactly why you got a nail there, no tread left to deflect it.

"Plugged" is only done from the outside, and damages the steel belt even more than it is from the original puncture. "Patched" is done after demounting the tire and properly prepping the area and applying the patch from the inside.

I might plug it if it was mine just to get me home, but you need a tire IMO. And an Alignment, your negative camber is way off.

C-2

Reaction score
Put a plug in that and it will bulge out the side. I had a similarly located nail on a brand new BFG AT and it looked like a big zit coming out the sidewall. Made me wanna cry.

Most likely, those tires see some camber and they are stags? Thus, the wear? Been there, done that on the German cars.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
If it were on my car, Id plug it and put it on the rear axle and keep an eye on it, if it were my wifes, I would replace the tire, but that is just me.

Regarding tire wear, Id say you need an alignment soon. ;)

That car is designed to run negative camber on the rears. Can’t fix it.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
That car is designed to run negative camber on the rears. Can’t fix it.

Beamer or Mercedes?

Find a new alignment shop, you can dial out a lot of it and still keep most of your performance. The guy I use knows I want my specs on the outside of the green, not the inside, get you 2x the wear than normally.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
That tire looks like a Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The outer edges give the illusion the alignment is off, but there is plenty of meat left on the tread.

MOUZER

Reaction score
like brian said............my car yes my wife or kids car nope........

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
As others have said legally no it can’t. Back in my tire shop days. I would do this after work for 40 bucks cash for people. Never had a problem. I’ve patched side walls. Edges, middle. Ect the only thing you can fix is a bead. I’ve done tires like yours and 44’s. Hope that helps. If patching take your time. Prep the surface really good and glue it right! It will hold

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Also if your going to do it, buy the patch plug. It’s a patch with a plug in it

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
The sad truth is that tire safety/ legally can’t be repaired, but some tire place will do it , for cash , and send that person down the road . They will then have a blow out and maybe take you with them .

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Like you can’t believe...two new tears on my car in December, two new fronts on my car last week, cut sidewall on the toyhauler yesterday and this today.

I bet you're getting tired of this shit

zhandfull

Reaction score
I have a safety seal plug kit sitting on the shelf, hell yea I would plug it on my personal car for daily driving. High Speed or Performance no I'd replace it. Back in the 80's we plugged everything at the service station. I really think the Pep Boys rubber plugs that were shit are what gave plug kits a bad rap. The safety seal kits and plugs are what I have been using for Thirty years with no problems.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Beamer or Mercedes?

Find a new alignment shop, you can dial out a lot of it and still keep most of your performance. The guy I use knows I want my specs on the outside of the green, not the inside, get you 2x the wear than normally.
It's not German, Lexus RC350...The 3IS RC-F,GS-F, RC350 and 4GS share the same stubborn suspension when it comes to adjustment, there is none.

Thanks for the feedback, looks like were going to bite the bullet and buy a new set of rears. BTW, they are Bridgestone Potenza at $350/tire (by the time you mount/balance/bullshit CA fees)

Reaction score
Let's see, $40 too have someone plug the piece of crap tire, or you can buy a new piece of crap tire for $100 mounted and balanced.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
At the rate I’m going through tires, I’ll never re”tire”. [emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
At the rate I’m going through tires, I’ll never re”tire”. [emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't be that bad I had to buy 16 tires last year and need 4 more soon.

BONER

Reaction score
You definitely can, but I personally wouldn't.