WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can we talk about your wood?

buck35

Reaction score
I burn cherry because,well i have a cherry orchard.if seasoned makes great firewood but will need a softwood to get it going.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I mostly burn seasoned walnut as one of our customers at work has a 500+ acre walnut farm just out of Sacramento and he sends us gaylords (4'x4'x5') cut to 18-22". Stuff burns real good and most of all it's free.

rightytighty

Reaction score
How I keep track of the types:
Hardwoods are broadleaf /nut bearing. I.e oak, cherry, almond etc.

Softwoods are coniferous (drop cones) and smaller / needle type leafs. Pine, cedar ,redwood, fir, spruce .

I burn in yard Fire pit so I burn yard scraps (mostly Oak and Euc. Only thing I can add is split oak dry and Euc when green. Get that backwards and life sucks, lol!

beertruck

Reaction score
Use almond wood in our wood fired pizza ovens in the Pacific Northwest, Texas we use oak, and on the east coast used to use oak as well. We look for readily available seasoned hardwood, with a high BTU rating per pound.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I mostly burn seasoned walnut as one of our customers at work has a 500+ acre walnut farm just out of Sacramento and he sends us gaylords (4'x4'x5') cut to 18-22". Stuff burns real good and most of all it's free.
Currently situation...walnut is burning and ribeye's just came off the BS...sorry I forgot the pics.

16060109284243336869996978958493.jpg

20201121_180515.jpg

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
So Greg, a couple of thoughts.
U
nderstand that you are not going to get a ton of heat out of your fireplace, to make it work best you need to get the chimney cleaned and then work to adjust the dampener (if it has one, look up from the bottom for a lever of some sort..best to do this when there is no fire on the fireplace). If you have one, the idea is to close it down until the smoke isn't rising, then crack it a bit more till it does. Ya want the heat to stay and the smoke to leave.
If it doens't have a dampner, ignore all of that.

As for wood.
Easy to light stuff will be pine, fir and cedar up here in this end of the state. These are softwoods. Stay away from DIgger Pine, any firewood guy knows what that is and you do NOT want that in yer fireplace, it is full of sap and nastiness. Tell whomever you buy from NO digger pine.
If you want Christmas type all night fires hardwood is the deal, Oak, Apple, Walnut, etc.
Get the fire going with the softwood and then add a chunk or two of seasoned oak, close those doors and leave the intake vents half open and it will do the best it can.
If you go to a Ace Hardware or even maybe home depot they have a product called "Fatwood" that comes in a box, works great to start the softwood and get things burning. 3 chunks of fatwood and seasoned softwood will go just fine.
If all you want is an ambiance fire then get a half a truckload of softwood and store it under a tarp outside, it will last a long time for you.

We heat with a airtight woodstove, and it will keep the house 73 or so all night, 1800 sq. ft , use a couple of fans to move the heat around. I buy a chord of softwood ever other year and we use Idaho Energy Logs for out primary fuel. Awesome stuff, little ash, more BTU's than Oak. I burn oak when I ahve to take down a tree, but like the energy logs.

There ya go.

Enjoy.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Delivered yesterday. Shaggy juniper.

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk