WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can you explain this picture?

wet hull

Reaction score
Running back up Havasu yesterday about 4800 RPM. Boat was flawless and then lunged forward and all power gone? Thought I broke drive, prop. All checked out and moved on to motor. It idles fine with occasional backfire. Cannot get on plane. Further investigate after idle to docks.

1: only 1 of 2 distributor rotary bolts located. Suspected it shot out the side

2: Can't for the life of me figure out how boat still idles. No damage to rotator. Has anyone ever seen this?
20200425_181705.jpg

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Holy crap... I’ve seen some weird shit, but that’s a good one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
MSD = Must Stay Dry.

And it's in a boat.

Enough said.

Still sucks that it ruined your day on the boat.

Dan'l

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
The "rotor" screws hold the rotor down, bit there are also a square and a round plastic protrusion that fit into the similar shaped holes in the steel part in the distributor, that's why it will still idle and run. Easy enough to replace the cap and rotor.

I guess your mechanic should be shot.

wet hull

Reaction score
Can't for the life of me figure out how both bolts backed out plus they are 1.5" long. Crazy thing but lucky its also a cheap fix.

wet hull

Reaction score
The "rotor" screws hold the rotor down, bit there are also a square and a round plastic protrusion that fit into the similar shaped holes in the steel part in the distributor, that's why it will still idle and run. Easy enough to replace the cap and rotor.

I guess your mechanic should be shot.
He hasn't touched that part in a year or more. I have run it many weekends since. Have you ever seen this happen before?

78Southwind

Reaction score
I found my rotor cap bolt under the Air Gap intake...

obnoxious001

Reaction score
He hasn't touched that part in a year or more. I have run it many weekends since. Have you ever seen this happen before?
I would say they were not snug when they were installed, and over a period of time they loosened up. Proper torque holds a fastener in place.

mattyc

Reaction score
The rotor screws arent typically that long either

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I think they used a pair of screws meant for the cap, but if they were properly snugged (torqued) down they would not have come lose.
No way, that bolt sticking out of the cap, is way to long to have backed out of the rotor with the cap on. It makes no sense at all, but ...... it happened. This makes absolutely no sense still!
What’d Chris say Monday when he picked it up?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
No way, that bolt sticking out of the cap, is way to long to have backed out of the rotor with the cap on. It makes no sense at all, but ...... it happened. This makes absolutely no sense still!
What’d Chris say Monday when he picked it up?

Just how long would you say it is?

I have some distributors and rotors and screws here (not sure who calls a philips head machine screw a bolt). If you look at the rotor, the area the holes for the two screws are in are recessed from the top. Also, the center of the distributor cap has a couple of plastic rings around the carbon button, and then an area with more space that would clearly allow a .940" long screw to come out, as odd and rare as it may seem. I did some measurements with dial calipers, it would be interesting to see the inside of the cap.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Just how long would you say it is?

I have some distributors and rotors and screws here (not sure who calls a philips head machine screw a bolt). If you look at the rotor, the area the holes for the two screws are in are recessed from the top. Also, the center of the distributor cap has a couple of plastic rings around the carbon button, and then an area with more space that would clearly allow a .940" long screw to come out, as odd and rare as it may seem. I did some measurements with dial calipers, it would be interesting to see the inside of the cap.
I apologize god, i really didn’t mean to call a stainless steel phillips head machine screw a bolt.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Can't for the life of me figure out how both bolts backed out plus they are 1.5" long. Crazy thing but lucky its also a cheap fix.

There are no bolts 1 1/2 long in an MSD dist. They’re about 3/4 for the rotor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaymz

Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that screw is one of two that holds the cap to the distributor when the spring loaded "J' hooks are not utilized. Have no clue why it was INSIDE the distributor. Has no business being there.