WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Canadian wildfires

stingray11

Reaction score
Check out the smoke in New York City skyline
20230607_140519.jpg

2Driver

Reaction score
Wow. Air quality so bad that the WNBA has canceled games due to the fires. Said they were concerned about the health of their fan.

Hahah fan…Dozens disappointed.

LOL yeah it’s really smokey, but nothing more than what many towns in western states experience every year during forest fire season.

New Yorkers are sure since they are experiencing it for the first time, it’s the first time it’s ever happened. 🤡

Im surprised they haven’t named it.

Last edited:

retaocleg

Reaction score
"global warming"! ........shut down airports in 13 states according to yahoo.......

rrrr

Reaction score
I swear the first time we went to Disney land in the early 60s LA looked like that
My first trip to SoCal was with a couple of buddies in 1973. I was shocked by the greatly reduced visibility caused by air pollution, and after a few days in that environment the irritation in my lungs was noticeable.

rrrr

Reaction score
When land management is outlawed, this is the result. Did 42 years in the forest industry, and this was being discussed in 1980!
There are uncountable millions of dead conifers in North American forests, killed by the mountain pine beetle. There are literally millions of acres covered in dead trees, and the beetles continue their attacks unmolested. I first noticed these infestations in the 1980s. As you said, over forty years has passed, and not a damn thing is being done about it.

Even worse, successive presidents and administrations, Congress, and the USDA have caved in to radical environmental groups and allow the dead trees to remain untouched. Every spring and summer these trees fuel deadly wildfires that have killed hundreds of people and caused billions in property damage.

This situation has been allowed to continue unchecked. A second grader can understand that dead trees cause massive uncontrollable fires. That nothing is done to stop it is maddening.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
My first trip to SoCal was with a couple of buddies in 1973. I was shocked by the greatly reduced visibility caused by air pollution, and after a few days in that environment the irritation in my lungs was noticeable.
Ha Ha…Try doing 3 a days for football practice in August and with the smog back then. 😝

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
Best thing that could have ever happened to that toxic liberal state. Now about that ban on gas stoves….

4Waters

Reaction score
It's not even close to that now

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
They need to start by cutting fire roads through to gain access, and try and stop the jump, then permit clear cutting to manage the reforestation, but the huggers don’t understand, and are too stupid to be educated, they just don’t want anything touched, but when the fires start, they want SOMEONE ( not themselves) to “Do Something “ to fix it. Leasing the ground to industry who will manage, and actually INCREASE the growth is beyond the left/huggers/green/STUPID people making the laws ( read bought politicians ). I’m done, carry on!

JDKRXW

Reaction score
They need to start by cutting fire roads through to gain access, and try and stop the jump, then permit clear cutting to manage the reforestation, but the huggers don’t understand, and are too stupid to be educated, they just don’t want anything touched, but when the fires start, they want SOMEONE ( not themselves) to “Do Something “ to fix it. Leasing the ground to industry who will manage, and actually INCREASE the growth is beyond the left/huggers/green/STUPID people making the laws ( read bought politicians ). I’m done, carry on!

It's way too late for this.
Massive swaths of these forests are made of trees that are too old to be of any commercial value.
Controlled burns are the only solution left. In Western Canada ... more and more is being done and although we still have fires ... they are getting a handle on this.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I agree with most of your post except for the clear-cutting. Clear-cutting causes erosion and earlier snowmelt and runoff and, therefore, less absorption into the soil. But yes, more fire roads, controlled burns, and thinning. Forest management is slowly moving in this direction, but they are so behind that they cannot catch up. We had one management plan up here in MT ready to go when it was halted at the last minute by some judge due to grizzly habitat. There will be no habitat if it burns up! So frustrating. This plan was well thought out (IMO) with road building, some thinning, and a lot of controlled burns and clean-up.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Canadian pilots came into LHC this past winter training with their scoopers. Lakes in Canada frozen. No doubt those guys working their asses off right now. Time in Lake Havasu paid off big time no doubt

Sharky

Reaction score
Well shit! Can't believe this is happening.

Bought myself an electric car, don't use plastic bags, recycle Amazon boxes, turn my thermostat down in the winter, sing kum-ba-ya and yet the east coast is covered in smoke.

Must be "climate change"

I'll go throw some apple peels in the compost tonight just to do my part and stop this "man made climate change" from Canada that is affecting the east coast.

Also got my Ukrainian flag sticker ordered from Amazon. It will be shipped by a boat from China, flown by a plane and, delivered by a diesel Sprinter to my house to show how much I care about the smoke from Canada.

Just doing my part to solve man made climate change for all the folks in NY. I really do care for them. . . . . . . 😏

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I remember, being in, grammar school… and when we would go out for recess… physical activity,..your lungs aching was considered normal???…yikes…1950 to 1956… it was probably the same in junior high and high school… But I seem to remember the grammar school lung ache more???…

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score

wzuber

Reaction score
Ha Ha…Try doing 3 a days for football practice in August and with the smog back then. 😝
did you fill your brothers water bottles, make him sammiches and rub his tired muscles between his practices back then crub?
What a good little brother you were....lmao

rrrr

Reaction score
It's way too late for this.
Massive swaths of these forests are made of trees that are too old to be of any commercial value.
Controlled burns are the only solution left. In Western Canada ... more and more is being done and although we still have fires ... they are getting a handle on this.
The issues with controlled burns are simple. The fuel load built up on the forest floors combined with the massive deadstands can quickly overwhelm the crews, and the burn boundaries explode into uncontrollable wildfires.

The #1 priority of state and federal forest managers should be an unrelenting focus on preventing environmental radicals from dictating forest harvesting policy. Secondly, USDA and the Forest Service must admit their policies hae been an abject failure for decades, and seek guidance from the largest private forest owners like Weyerhaeuser.

The size of Weyerhaeuser's holdings compared to those of the US National Forests illustrates why the government bureaucracies continue to completely fail at properly managing our precious natural assets.

Weyerhaeuser has been the largest private timber business in North America for decades. The company owns 10.6 million acres of forest land. America's National Forests are overwhelmingly larger; we own 188 million acres of the most beautiful land in North America.

But it's being mismanaged. This cannot continue.

WYRD

Reaction score
🤷‍♂️

Does seem awfully suspicious. ..state sponsored perhaps 🤷‍♂️

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
did you fill your brothers water bottles, make him sammiches and rub his tired muscles between his practices back then crub?
What a good little brother you were....lmao
How’s your hang over today. 😂

BTW..I played 2 years varsity football and 3 years varsity baseball. 😝

nameisbond

Reaction score
Ontario and Quebec don't have big forestry industries so their forests are filled with dead tree burning fuel. Out west in BC forestry is still our biggest industry and the forests are better managed. Fires not as bad. On the west coast the fires are worse in Washington State and Oregan because they've killed their forestry industry. Climate change has nothing to do with it. In the late 1970s my uncle was a logger and I remember forest fire season because every summer he'd have to go fight fires. It was no worse in the 1970s and 1980s as it is now. What is different is you don't have the manpower on the ground as you did than because the loggers helped fight the fires.

hman442

Reaction score
The issues with controlled burns are simple. The fuel load built up on the forest floors combined with the massive deadstands can quickly overwhelm the crews, and the burn boundaries explode into uncontrollable wildfires.

The #1 priority of state and federal forest managers should be an unrelenting focus on preventing environmental radicals from dictating forest harvesting policy. Secondly, USDA and the Forest Service must admit their policies hae been an abject failure for decades, and seek guidance from the largest private forest owners like Weyerhaeuser.

The size of Weyerhaeuser's holdings compared to those of the US National Forests illustrates why the government bureaucracies continue to completely fail at properly managing our precious natural assets.

Weyerhaeuser has been the largest private timber business in North America for decades. The company owns 10.6 million acres of forest land. America's National Forests are overwhelmingly larger; we own 188 million acres of the most beautiful land in North America.

But it's being mismanaged. This cannot continue.
Exactly. Mismanagement is an understatement! The Forest Circus incompetent methods are getting worse. Yes, we used to log forests, not clear-cut, but selective logging. Then, we had to go in and clean up (pile) the brush & burn the piles in the off season, as well as seed the ground & plant seedlings at the end. Walking through a forest that was logged five years previous was like walking through a park, that nice. But Oh, the Sierra Club and similar enviropussies still didn't like it. They invented the Spotted Owl, and effectively got most of the logging stopped. Now, no longer is there logging equipment already in the woods, so no equipment putting out a fire within an hour of it starting. Now, the federal gov. Forest Circus has to set up a command center, with lots of tents, and plastic water bottles, and antennas, and gender neutral bathrooms.... takes time. Then call the private contractors to bring in the equipment, call in air strikes. Oh, but airplanes are expensive, so, can't use them until the fire is out of control. As in, let it burn and get bigger. If a fire isn't close to a community or a Wilderness Zone, they "watch it", they don't just send a few planes in and extinguish it, they have cool charts and tables, three or four levels of management to help them "manage their budget". So, after a few days, the little fire has burned 100,000 acres, moved seven miles and is endangering houses...oh shit, let's get everybody on that, too late, it's too big...evacuate! I have friends and neighbors with equipment...water trucks, Cat D6's, etc., that love fire season. They get the call, off they go to the fire. They are getting paid hourly for the Cat, the Cat skinner (operator), the lowboy (truck and trailer), it's driver, and there there they sit. "Hey Circus Guy, you want us unload and go fight that fire"?.....No, not yet, my bosses boss three states away looking at not real time pictures says hold tight. These guys go home with checks for 20-30k, and they never even unloaded their equipment.
Okay, the fires out, months have passed, the Circus offers the timber for sale, as, most of the trees have been killed, but they're not burned up, lots of good lumber in them. So, one of the few lumber mills still in existence buys the sale. Instantly, the woke envirowhack groups file a lawsuit, stating that there is a endangered fish or frog or bird that needs that charred mountainside for habitat. Boom, the sale is on hold, no logging, till this frog gets its day in court. The enviros keep filing junk, and stalling, for about 18 months, then, they walk away from the suit. Well, on those 18 months, the bugs have bored into those trees, ruining the potential lumber, so the mountain is left covered with dead trees, not logged, cleaned up, seeded, etc. The system really is broken, has been for years.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Shouldn't all of the professional sports games happened with the players wearing N965 masks instead of cancel/postpone? They were part of that push.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Most of these fires are caused by careless humans. Not climate change!