WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Canal blocked

hallett21

Reaction score
Did I miss it or is there no thread on the Suez Canal blockage?

Over 100 ships currently stuck un able to move. They’ve tried moving the ship with tugs as well as excavating the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Did I miss it or is there no thread on the Suez Canal blockage?

Over 100 ships currently stuck un able to move. They’ve tried moving the ship with tugs as well as excavating the bow.

Read about it this morning. Quite the conundrum they got there. Didn't read about how or why it's lodge tight but sure is backing up traffic worse than I-5.

hallett21

Reaction score
Wonder how much is being lost $$$ wise

4Waters

Reaction score
Read about it this morning. Quite the conundrum they got there. Didn't read about how or why it's lodge tight but sure is backing up traffic worse than I-5.
Lost it's steering in strong winds

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
BBC says 50 ships a day use the canal. Fees can be several hundred thousand dollars...

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
BBC says 50 ships a day use the canal. Fees can be several hundred thousand dollars...

I've been watching a bunch of cruising sailing videos online for the past year, for a chicken shit sail boat to go through the Panama canal is like $4k, and obviously you share the locks with all kinds of other vessels, and are under strict schedule not of your choosing.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Isnt the U.S. and otjer digging the Panama canal wider and deeper now ?
Thought I read that somewhere?

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Isnt the U.S. and otjer digging the Panama canal wider and deeper now ?
Thought I read that somewhere?
New locks opened a couple of years ago.... I was supposed to be on a cruise going in them in May.... fuck covid.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Unlike Panama, the Suez is nothing but a large ditch cut thru the desert. Nothing fancy. There are no locks etc. Prior to Jimmy Carter giving the Canal Zone away to Panama, the Canal and its locks were pristine. Looked like a private country club. After Panama took it over, it all quickly went down hill.

Singleton

Reaction score
Going to take a few days

Attachments

• 9CACDCC0-6761-46EE-A213-0C0990F40202.jpeg
    9CACDCC0-6761-46EE-A213-0C0990F40202.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 519

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Authority
High tide passed Wednesday evening and the giant 20,388 teu Ever Given still has not moved. Twisted starboard, its 399 m hull may be connecting continents, but at the same time it is halting global trade, with more than 140 ships now delayed and garnering more mainstream press for shipping than anything else has for months.
Early indications from the Suez Canal Authority that the giant ship would be shifted within two days have now proven to be wide of the mark, with the CEO of the parent of the Dutch salvage firm overseeing the operation warning the vessel could be stuck for weeks.
The International Chamber of Shipping estimates that $3bn worth of cargoes pass through the 152-year-old waterway a day.
The Ever Given, which ship agency GAC said lost power Tuesday morning, ploughing into a bank of the canal, remains wedged on one of the most important shipping arteries in the world despite many tugs, diggers and dredgers being deployed to refloat it.
A team of eight from SMIT Salvage flew into Egypt this morning and are inspecting the ship and the surrounding canal area.
Peter Berdowski, the CEO of SMIT’s parent, Royal Boskalis Westminster, was interviewed on Dutch state TV last night. He told Nieuwsuur, a Dutch current affairs television program, “The more secure the ship is, the longer an operation will take. It can take days to weeks.”
He also pointed out that bringing in all the necessary equipment needed for the refloating operation could take time.
“This is not an Amsterdam-Rhine Canal where you have the same depth over the entire width. You are dealing with an avenue in the middle that is up to 25 meters deep, but soon after that it goes to 15 meters, to 11 meters, and then even less to the ends. The ship is 15.7 meters deep. Especially at the front the ship is a meter on the slope,” Berdowski told Nieuwsuur, describing the Ever Given’s current predicament as being akin to a very heavy whale on a beach.
As well as removing ballast water and fuel, the SMIT team will assess whether containers will need to be offloaded from the ship, a potentially time-consuming process.
“In our view the situation now looks unlikely to be heading for a swift resolution given that it is not a simple grounding,” analysts at Braemar ACM Shipbroking stated in an update to clients today.
Under normal circumstances an average of 52 vessels of all types goes through the Suez Canal per day.
According to the World Shipping Council, the maximum throughput of the canal is 106 vessels per day so if the waterway was shut for one day, the resultant queue could be cleared within the first opening day using the daily surplus capacity. If it was closed for two days, it would then take two additional days after re-opening to also clear the queue given that more vessels will arrive for normal transits every day.
Leth Agencies, a local port agent, tallied 71 vessels waiting at Suez Anchorage awaiting northbound transit as of midnight last night and a further 79 vessels awaiting southbound transit of which 34 are anchored at Great Bitter Lake and 45 at Port Said Outer Anchorage.
Ships behind the Ever Given in the canal are being reversed south back to Port Suez to free the channel. Authorities hope to do the same to the Ever Given when they can free it.
The huge vessel is operated by Evergreen from Taiwan and owned by Japan’s Shoei Kisen who today apologised for the “tremendous worry” that the accident has caused to the other vessels and their involved parties.
Shoei Kisen conceded the operation to move the ship will be “extremely difficult”.
The ship’s manager, Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement, insists the accident happened because of high winds, something backed up by vessel tracking of the accident (see below) which shows how the ships in the convoy behind the Ever Given moved erratically too, and were nearly involved in a collision.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So do the captains bring uge ships like this through the canal under their own power or are they pushed and towed through by tugs?

gqchris

Reaction score
So do the captains bring uge ships like this through the canal under their own power or are they pushed and towed through by tugs?

I would assume a specialized Pilot gets on board? Like Long Beach Harbor Pilots?

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
two ways inside a canal to dislodge a vessel.
1) Raise the water
2) convert FOB to flotsam

Tank

Reaction score
Pretty interesting read on the canals history. It only took 10 years to complete at 120 miles long and building began in 1859!! Fuckin' crazy feat!

The Suez Canal (Arabic: قناة السويس‎ qanāt as-suwēs) is an artificial sea-level waterway in Egypt, connecting the Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea through the Isthmus of Suez; and dividing Africa and Asia. Constructed by the Suez Canal Company between 1859 and 1869, it officially opened on 17 November 1869. The canal offers watercraft a more direct route between the North Atlantic and northern Indian oceans via the Mediterranean and Red seas, thus avoiding the South Atlantic and southern Indian oceans and reducing the journey distance from the Arabian Sea to London, for example, by approximately 8,900 kilometres (5,500 mi).[1] It extends from the northern terminus of Port Said to the southern terminus of Port Tewfik at the city of Suez. Its length is 193.30 km (120.11 mi) including its northern and southern access-channels. In 2012, 17,225 vessels traversed the canal (an average of 47 per day).[2]

The original canal featured a single-lane waterway with passing locations in the Ballah Bypass and the Great Bitter Lake.[3] It contained, according to Alois Negrelli's plans, no lock systems, with seawater flowing freely through it. In general, the water in the canal north of the Bitter Lakes flows north in winter and south in summer. South of the lakes, the current changes with the tide at Suez.[4]

While the canal as such was the property of the Egyptian government, European shareholders, mostly French and British, owned the concessionary company which operated it until July 1956, when President Gamal Abdel Nasser nationalized it—an event which led to the Suez Crisis of October–November 1956.[5] The canal is operated and maintained by the state-owned Suez Canal Authority[6] (SCA) of Egypt. Under the Convention of Constantinople, it may be used "in time of war as in time of peace, by every vessel of commerce or of war, without distinction of flag."[7] Nevertheless, the canal has played an important military strategic role as a naval short-cut and choke-point. Navies with coastlines and bases on both the Mediterranean and Red Seas (Egypt and Israel) have a particular interest in the Suez Canal.

In August 2014, the Egyptian government launched construction to expand and widen the Ballah Bypass for 35 km (22 mi) to speed the canal's transit-time. The expansion intended to nearly double the capacity of the Suez Canal, from 49 to 97 ships per day.[8] At a cost of 59.4 billion Egyptian pounds (US$9bn), this project was funded with interest-bearing investment certificates issued exclusively to Egyptian entities and individuals. The "New Suez Canal," as the expansion was dubbed, was opened with great fanfare in a ceremony on 6 August 2015.[9]

On 24 February 2016, the Suez Canal Authority officially opened the new side channel. This side channel, located at the northern side of the east extension of the Suez Canal, serves the East Terminal for berthing and unberthing vessels from the terminal. As the East Container Terminal is located on the Canal itself, before the construction of the new side channel it was not possible to berth or unberth vessels at the terminal while a convoy was running.[10]

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Under their own power

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
They need to get Nick Sloan , the guy who headed the Costa Concordia salvage , there right now !

JDKRXW

Reaction score
This is a complete disaster that is going to severely affect world trade.

jetur

Reaction score
I think Tony Beets is in route with the dredge. All kidding aside, Tony is a pretty good problem solver.

boatnam2

Reaction score
its not like there offloading them anyways, sitting there or port of long beach, same thing.

hallett21

Reaction score
its not like there offloading them anyways, sitting there or port of long beach, same thing.

Lol they are considering unloading it in order to float it

rrrr

Reaction score
Wonder how much is being lost $$$ wise

Last week gcaptain said daily rental rates for supertankers have gone from $15K/day in June 2020 to $225K/day now.

Before Biden's interference, the US was exporting over 4 million BPD out of Corpus Christi, generating revenues of $245,000,000, or approximately $8 billion per month.

That figure is dropping rapidly and now the US is importing oil, paying millions to buy the oil and rent tanker capacity. Biden's claim he is reducing GHG is fucking stupid because the environmental costs to run that oil from the Persian Gulf are fantastic compared to pumping it across Texas to refineries in Houston. We are also supporting criminal governments with these payments.

This also increases the trade deficit, and thousands of American jobs are being lost.

Last edited: