WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cancer Sucks - My mommy got hit again

Singleton

Reaction score
Got word today my mom (74 years young) has ovarian cancer.
Goes in Tuesday for a hysterectomy. Dr says it is stage one, but surgery and then additional treatment to kill anything left.
She beat breast cancer in 96, so told her to have the same strength.

wish I could be there, but no one is allowed with her in the hospital. Dr says 2 nights in hospital, then home she goes.
step-dad has what is needed and knows to call if I need to get to her ASAP. since she is currently in Wisconsin, and a 8 hour drive from any major airport, I am waiting to travel.

worst part, she dropped this on me as I was driving to Havasu for my birthday weekend with my wife and daughter.
told the wife, I am going to be a tad grumpy :(

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Damn sorry to here this. Life gets in the way of living sometimes. The good thing, if there is one, it's been caught relatively early. It will be on your mind, and weigh heavy on you...but at times. Other times this weekend you'll find yourself smiling and in good spirits. Don't take any guilt upon yourself for it. Life is cyclical, like the tides. Ups and downs, good and bad...have to have one to know the other.

I went through it with my own Mom, 13 years ago, and again 8 years ago. Put on the smile for your own wife and kid...it can help you feel better too.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
It's OK to be sad and angry. Thanks for sharing.
Prayers to Moms. I know how hard it is to put on the game face in these situations.
Can I suggest many sticky notes saying I love you etc. and pasting them all over even if you have to send them for others to post. I wish I would have thought of that in desperate hours but I was feeling sorry for myself as things in life unfolded that were hurtful and uncertain.
Prayers are with you and the Fam.
😢

sirbob

Reaction score
Sounds like she is ahead of it - with luck it will be a bump in the road.

Speedy recovery to her.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
Cancer sucks big donkey ----- Very sorry to hear this, sounds like it was found early enough. Been in the same boat all year. Wife diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in February. Chemo for 3 months, Double Mastectomy 3 weeks ago - fighting off the pain still. Very lucky it was small and was found early like your moms . Hoping all goes well.

Singleton

Reaction score
Thanks for the words everyone.
needed to vent about it some last night.

daughter is making grandma multiple get well cards as her art project today for school. i will get those mailed and plan a trip home when safe (with surgery and treatment after that, not risking introducing any additional elements into mom house, until given all clear)

Joe mama

Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers to your mom and family..
My mom had uterine cancer and went through this same deal. She will do great my mom was in her early 70’s as well. Moms are tough and they can get through a lot more than us guys.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My Mom had that many years ago ans she battled and kicked its ass.

Stay strong

riverroyal

Reaction score
Strong lady. I lost my mom about 18 months ago. Spent as much time with her as you can.
hope she recoverers quick

also, I’m about 100 feet away. Ha. Got here late last night and saw your boat uncovered

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Fuck cancer...

Sounds like a good prognosis though. She should pull through just fine. 👍

Singleton

Reaction score
Strong lady. I lost my mom about 18 months ago. Spent as much time with her as you can.
hope she recoverers quick

also, I’m about 100 feet away. Ha. Got here late last night and saw your boat uncovered

rolled in around 930.
Had to drag boat back from WOT Marine - fuel leak resolved and annual service completed

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Man, im sorry to hear this. Sounds like to many of us have experienced moms with cancer. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Done this with several family members..... No fun at all.
Prayers going out.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Got word today my mom (74 years young) has ovarian cancer.
Goes in Tuesday for a hysterectomy. Dr says it is stage one, but surgery and then additional treatment to kill anything left.
She beat breast cancer in 96, so told her to have the same strength.

wish I could be there, but no one is allowed with her in the hospital. Dr says 2 nights in hospital, then home she goes.
step-dad has what is needed and knows to call if I need to get to her ASAP. since she is currently in Wisconsin, and a 8 hour drive from any major airport, I am waiting to travel.

worst part, she dropped this on me as I was driving to Havasu for my birthday weekend with my wife and daughter.
told the wife, I am going to be a tad grumpy :(

Sorry to hear that Singleton. I’m sure everyone on the boards has their own story of how cancer has effected them, their family, or someone close. It’s all too prevalent.

That said, my mom is a Ovarian cancer survivor from the 90’s. Full hysterectomy back then, no complications since. Your mom can do this!

Conversely, I lost my dad to bile duct cancer in 2012. Stage four. Wasn’t operable and chemo only bought him little time.

I myself was diagnosed with AML Leukemia in January. I’m fortunate to be young and other wise heathy and able to get the most aggressive treatment. In the past nine months I’ve undergone chemo, full body radiation, and finally a bone marrow transplant. My kids are little and I wasn’t going without a fight.

Cancer is currently in remission and I’m taking life a day at a time!

I think most folks on River Dave’s know how to play hard, which is good because you never know what in store tomorrow.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prayers for you and your Mom. My Mom was diagnosed stage 3 ovarian cancer in 2000 but she still got 6 great years after that. Prognosis for stage 1 is really good. Stay strong and God bless your Mom.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Prayers to your Mom and your family Singleton, positive thoughts your way!

TBulger

Reaction score
Prayers for your mom, so sorry. From my experience, cured cancer always comes back It’s just a matter of time, never stop getting checked.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Best to your mom and family. I hope that she kicks cancer’s ass again!!!!