WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cant get drive back on....

Hullbilly

Reaction score
Replaced gimbal bearings, trim sender/limit swithches shift cables and u-joint bellows on my alpha ones. Now the first drive wont go all the way in, its about one inch from being all the way in. Splines are lined up, gear shift lever and shift cable all lined up. Just seems to hit a wall. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

MCnParker

Reaction score
We did ours and the last inch or two are tight. We had to use a wood block and dead blow hammer to get it the rest of the way.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Do you have an alignment tool?

Hullbilly

Reaction score
I have the alignment tool, and am going to double check my alignment. I am starting to wonder if the mounts need to be adjusted. I have the motors stripped down to shortblocks right now. Starting to wonder is the weight loss could be jacking things up, i wouldnt think so , but will find out.

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
I know someone that was doing a project like this this weekend... maybe I'll see him tomorrow.;)

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
You may need to try cleaning out all the old dried up excess spline grease in the coupler. A build up of old grease will stop the drive from going in and make the engine alignment procedure more difficult as well. Also try putting a little bit of oil over the required grease on the new drive shaft O'rings. Oil on the O'rings has been found to help reduce the little bit of extra force that may be required to shove the drive on that last 1/2 inch or so.

sdpm

Reaction score
We did ours and the last inch or two are tight. We had to use a wood block and dead blow hammer to get it the rest of the way.

Something is not right if you had to do this!

sdpm

Reaction score
I have the alignment tool, and am going to double check my alignment. I am starting to wonder if the mounts need to be adjusted. I have the motors stripped down to shortblocks right now. Starting to wonder is the weight loss could be jacking things up, i wouldnt think so , but will find out.

Did you have the engine or engines out? If you did, did you make sure to put the coil spacer and leather washer back in place? Also did the gimble brg seat all the way in? Then alignment and shift rod if it is an Alpha.

Last edited:

Hullbilly

Reaction score
Did you have the engine or engines out? If you did, did you make sure to put the coil spacer and leather washer back in place? Also did the gimble brg seat all the way in? Then alignment and shift rod if it is an Alpha.

Shortblocks stayed in the boat. I am in the middle of doing new top ends. Hopefully i can get them put back together tomorrow. Then get to those drives and see what is up. I did just clean up the coupler splines and i cleaned up the drive shafts, they were clean where they sat in the bearings, but had some build up before that, which might have been the hold up, as that seems to be about the inch I was fighting.

Thanks guys, hopefully it all goes back together sometime this week

lowfunds

Reaction score
depending upon the year they stopped using the coil washer on all the new stuff that coil washer is built into the new rear mount and depending upon the boat they also give you a regular washer to space it up even more if you still cannot get alignment. but from what this thread sounds like is that if you replaced the gimabl bearing you always have to realign the bearing to the coupler. once that is done and you still are having issues getting it on the last inch you used to much grease on the input shaft o-rings and it is hydraulic locking up. remove the drive and wipe some of the grease off and retry. if then it does not go on and then you can do what i was taught in mercruiser school way back when was to give the drive a kick. i know it sounds crazy but the instructor told us that and i have had to give a few a light kick and it went right on no issues. i am a certified mercruiser mechanic for 20+years and believe in doing things by the book but they never put that in the book but the instructor has told us some insider tips and they worked everytime i have tried them.

sdpm

Reaction score
Good information. Thanks

Do you happen to know why those spacers/washers are like a coil spring and why the the leather washers?

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
depending upon the year they stopped using the coil washer on all the new stuff that coil washer is built into the new rear mount and depending upon the boat they also give you a regular washer to space it up even more if you still cannot get alignment. but from what this thread sounds like is that if you replaced the gimabl bearing you always have to realign the bearing to the coupler. once that is done and you still are having issues getting it on the last inch you used to much grease on the input shaft o-rings and it is hydraulic locking up. remove the drive and wipe some of the grease off and retry. if then it does not go on and then you can do what i was taught in mercruiser school way back when was to give the drive a kick. i know it sounds crazy but the instructor told us that and i have had to give a few a light kick and it went right on no issues. i am a certified mercruiser mechanic for 20+years and believe in doing things by the book but they never put that in the book but the instructor has told us some insider tips and they worked everytime i have tried them.
On older engines, one way to help elevate the need for the "mercruiser kick" and to obtain an easier alignment job using the bar is if possible, try to get behind the engine one way or another and clean out/remove all the old dried up grease deep inside the engine coupler. The old dried up grease can sometimes be one of the main reasons of not being able to obtain smooth engine alignment along with the added need to force the drive on the rest of the way fighting the old grease. Adding oil to the O'rings does help slide the input shaft into the gimbal bearing oh so much more.

Good information. Thanks

Do you happen to know why those spacers/washers are like a coil spring and why the the leather washers?
See if this helps with your question, http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/distributors/mercurymarine/sterndrive/nowasher-design.PDF

Hullbilly

Reaction score
So I am going to surrender. After hours of monkey business I cant get the alignment bar into either coupler. Anyone in havasu willing to lend a hand to a boat noob, so I know what I am doing wrong? I am willing to compensate for your time, $ or a case of your favorite brew!

I have read endless internet tips and methods and nothing has helped out, is it really that complicated. I mean jeez I have done everthing else on this restoration myself, and this is my nemisis!

Last edited:

Hullbilly

Reaction score
Update, after some serious monkey business they are lined up as good as can be. Got them to go in and out with two fingers... Then rotated motors 180 and didnt want to go in easy. So I split the difference and will hope it will be good. The tool goes in pretty smooth and requires just the slightest tug to slip out. At the very least its way better then the last mechanic left it!

Apparently the boats previous owner let the boat sit for a crazy amount of time with the drives up, and that can cause the couplers to get a little out of round. Or so I have read.

Now I have an excuse next winter to pull the motors and start stroking them!