WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cant seem to get the boat to take gas

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
2005 Shockwave Tremor
When on the trailer, the boat will take gas fine. When in the water the boat spits back gas almost immediately. Called Shockwave, talked to Greg, and he stated that he has heard about this issue before. They have been building the boat the same way for years, and it shows up once in a blue moon. This only started the end of last season. WTF? So, I checked both lines...clear, in fact when filling on the trailer if I don't watch it, gas will spit out of the breather line. Pulled the seat out, took the lines off the tank....no obstructions. I am perplexed....anybody have another idea?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I had the same problem. What I had to do when filling was pull back the foreskin on the nozzle so there was an air gap between it and the boat. Kind of a pain but it worked.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That is the problem.. Gas should come out of the fill tube before it comes out of the breather. The breather is not high enough and/or not big enough to keep up.

In the water, the breather is covered by fuel because of the boat's angle it sounds like, and is non functional.

The only solution is going to be filling it slower with an airgap between the rubber boot on the nozzle and the boat like GRADS suggested.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Could be the angle of the dangle type deal... if everyone is on the dock side of the boat the lean might be causing the issues.

easy enough to check, toss a few bodies to the other side and see.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I had the same problem. What I had to do when filling was pull back the foreskin on the nozzle so there was an air gap between it and the boat. Kind of a pain but it worked.

That is a non issue when filling your boat in AZ.. The nozzles on land are circumcised in Havasu. I don't know about the ones on the water.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Rotate the nozzle helps a little. Its a known issue on Cobra RZR. Takes forever to fill mine. If on high it burps out gas constantly.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I had this problem with my Advantage 22 Citation. Hit or miss with both AZ and CA nozzles. On the trailer or in the water. Had it looked at a few times, but never resolved. Sometimes it was perfectly fine and other times, slow and painful.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I had this on my Lavey too. You had to pull back the suction cup thingy, and tilt the handle, and not go at full force. Lower pressure let the gas go in. Full pressure... and the pump would shut off.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Could be the angle of the dangle type deal... if everyone is on the dock side of the boat the lean might be causing the issues.

easy enough to check, toss a few bodies to the other side and see.

please please NO don’t ever on the water have people or animals, especially kids inside the boat while fueling. The chance of an accident while fueling on the water is unlikely yet so much greater that please, don’t ever fuel with people in the boat.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Had this issue in the Cig last season.

Kinked breather tube.

Yea the tube could be pinched or plugged, but if that were the case I would not expect gas to come out of it while filling on the trailer, but certainly might be worth a look.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rotate the nozzle helps a little. Its a known issue on Cobra RZR. Takes forever to fill mine. If on high it burps out gas constantly.

Same on the 23 Razor. 1/2 throttle on the pump, a 1 inch gap and about a 30 degree angle seems to work. I fill until I hear the gas coming up the fill tube then stop.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Ensure the vent hose and fitting are not kinked or clogged. I had a similar issue and it was a mud dobber nest in the vent screen.
Boy have I seen this before when working at a shop in Riverside. Prolly 2 a summer.

PlanB

Reaction score
My Jeep that I keep in Havasu has the same issue with the AZ nozzles.

Tank

Reaction score
Yea the tube could be pinched or plugged, but if that were the case I would not expect gas to come out of it while filling on the trailer, but certainly might be worth a look.

Is the boat spitting fuel out the breather or is it coming back up the fill hole and clicking the pump off? Mine would do it and my breather valve was bent up. I pried it back down in the correct position and it stopped the issues. I could hear the breather tube moving around in the gunnel when I did it. But the tube would soon bend back up again. If the breather tube is pinched it'll push fuel back up the filler hole like immediately and click the pump off. Then if you go slow with the fuel it will allow air to breath up through the fill hole. Even if it is coming out of the breather first, it could be a small enough pinch that its causing back pressure and it's making its way through the breather quicker than coming up the larger main fill hole.
My bet is bent fuel breather tube.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
A kinked hose is ok to say though😂

Lizza-Bill-Clinton-Bad-Judgment.jpg

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
I will be heading out again in 2 weeks, and tearing apart the boat to check it out. Greg stated that in some boats, the fuel line may lay down on the top of the tank, and that shortening the line and reattaching sometimes fixes this issue. Well I will pull the side panel off and check it out.

Oh and I have already tried pulling back on the cover of the nozzle, turning it upside down, slowing the flow, and it just doesn't matter when on the water.

Nordie

Reaction score
Serious question. I've had a few boats that have done this, but it seems the gasser f250 work trucks I end up with keep doing this as well when it's cold. I've always felt, but never tried, if you stuck a straw that gas wouldn't melt in the fueling tube, would it help from the burping deal? I'm sure you would have to make sure it was right at the top of the tank, but I feel that it would help. I dunno, just stupid shit I think about.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Not to take this off topic but I have a completely different issue with my Rinker. That thing will fill at any rate you want but no matter weather you go slow or fast it will always burp about a pint back at you when the nozzle shuts off. I think it's because it's such a long run from the filler to the tank but it has a 1/2" parallel vent line and you would think that is enough to relieve pressure in the fill tube.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Not to take this off topic but I have a completely different issue with my Rinker. That thing will fill at any rate you want but no matter weather you go slow or fast it will always burp about a pint back at you when the nozzle shuts off. I think it's because it's such a long run from the filler to the tank but it has a 1/2" parallel vent line and you would think that is enough to relieve pressure in the fill tube.
Unless that vent tube runs underneath or lower than the fill tube at any point

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Unless that vent tube runs underneath or lower than the fill tube at any point

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
I'll have to look a little more closely at that It might be sagging somewhere. Good lead.

CigAjerk

Reaction score
Had to do it on the bennington. Nozzle needed to be maverick.

The hallett only did it if it was slightly nose down on the trailer and same sputter. Just the tip and a slight aim adjustment.

No different then pissing in the dark. Go by sound and spatter then adjust.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I wrap a towel around nozzle to prevent the burp back from splashing out on me.
I suppose that would work I just always think that things should function as intended and if they have design flaws I like to correct them. EVENTUALLY

Motor Boater

Reaction score
My boat does this on the trailer. First time I filled it I set the nozzle and walked away, 1 minutes later gas comes shooting out of the fill neck. I said to my boys, “I guess that means it’s done“. I got to the lake and realized there was hardly any fuel in it. Finally figured out I just have to fill it really slowly. I can actually hear it backing up and know to slow it down now.

tb230razor

Reaction score
Same on the 23 Razor. 1/2 throttle on the pump, a 1 inch gap and about a 30 degree angle seems to work. I fill until I hear the gas coming up the fill tube then stop.

Exactly. Pain in the neck on my 23 also. My wife would get in the boat, watch the gauges and let me know when it was getting close to full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I will be heading out again in 2 weeks, and tearing apart the boat to check it out. Greg stated that in some boats, the fuel line may lay down on the top of the tank, and that shortening the line and reattaching sometimes fixes this issue. Well I will pull the side panel off and check it out.

Oh and I have already tried pulling back on the cover of the nozzle, turning it upside down, slowing the flow, and it just doesn't matter when on the water.
If this is a belly tank, that may be the issue, had the same problem I put a block of wood under the fuel fill line and it helped so then I shortened the fill hose. I think the other problem is none of the fuel dispensers flow slow enough anymore even on the slowest setting.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Exactly. Pain in the neck on my 23 also. My wife would get in the boat, watch the gauges and let me know when it was getting close to full

Common problem you would think they would address it. Our gas pump at Echo there is no slow. On or nothing. Burps like crazy. Takes 30 minutes to fill.
Screenshot_20200528-181347_Samsung Internet.jpg

grumpy88

Reaction score
I wrap a towel around nozzle to prevent the burp back from splashing out on me.
Where was this info a week ago ! I was getting gas at parker oil and the pump clicked off and a huge wave of gas shot up and over my head . It was in my eyes back ,front it was horrible . I staggered back to the car like a blind guy in agony . my wife got me water to flush my eyes and I was all better . I will be using the towel trick in the future ! Lol

tb230razor

Reaction score
Common problem you would think they would address it. Our gas pump at Echo there is no slow. On or nothing. Burps like crazy. Takes 30 minutes to fill.
View attachment 881991

We’re thinking of getting into a venom next, good to know it has the same issue. I’ll have to talk to Cobra about it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The vents are just not big enough and you can block a lot of the air escaping with the fuel filler/ fuel splash when you have vertical mounted fuel fills on the side or back of the boat.

Boats with horizontal fuel fills (facing up) you rarely seem to have these issues.

Putting the nozzle upside down works on the Cobra because the fuel runs down the the pipe smoothly and drops into the tank. Think of filling a beer glass on an an angle, vs just dumping it in the glass.
Now imagine air trying to escape out of the glass as you pour the beer.

707dog

Reaction score
Is it possible with the gas having high ethanol it has soften up the the vent line causing it to collapse? Shit is not friendly to rubber fuel lines

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Is it possible with the gas having high ethanol it has soften up the the vent line causing it to collapse? Shit is not friendly to rubber fuel lines

That is a strong possibility. Specially if there was a dip in the line at all and has allowed fuel to sit in it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My dads 21 shockwave skier had same issue from day one. We carried a 1/2” hose and put it in the full neck as we filled gas and it helped vent but not much.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
As others have said try flipping it upside down and check to make sure there isn't a kink in the vent line. I have also found that some boats if you pull the nozzle part of the way out they take fuel better.

Pumps on the water also are often faster than pumps on land too, when I worked a gas dock we would start to fill boats at half speed and then speed them up as they took on fuel, for some reason it helped keep them from burping (or made the burps smaller).

Reactions: DWC

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Does your vent tube have a one way valve? Might be stuck.. if so get rid of it!

And could be the splash diverters inside the tank isnt right, so it fills up the "fill neck" section quicker than it has time to divert to the other sections.

Are the tanks alum or fiberglass?