WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can't wait for boating season to finally start....

Tank

Reaction score
Powell finally getting dumped on? All this coverage of how low it is but isn't this the time of year that all the monsoons fill it back up?

Oh, and we'll be boating havasu / upper river early Oct. As stated above, best time.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Powell finally getting dumped on? All this coverage of how low it is but isn't this the time of year that all the monsoons fill it back up?

Oh, and we'll be boating havasu / upper river early Oct. As stated above, best time.

Feels like we had a decent monsoon season this year, especially since it has been non existent for the past few years. It's hardly the amount of rain needed to fill it up, but it might measure a positive micro amount of water for a day!

Tank

Reaction score
Feels like we had a decent monsoon season this year, especially since it has been non existent for the past few years. It's hardly the amount of rain needed to fill it up, but it might measure a positive micro amount of water for a day!
If you look at the yearly water charts, it always shows decline, decline, decline until Aug when it shoots WAY up during monsoon season. Looks like it's pretty predictable.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Best Havasu boating is Sept and October
Worst time of the year to go - Stay Away
1630545000224.jpeg

Dr Rob

Reaction score
We just got back from Powell on Sunday
We just got back from Powell on Sunday. It was amazing! We are now looking at a 1994 Sea Ray 290 with twin v6s. In your opinion do you think that would perform adequately for the size of the boat? It only has 300 hours on it.

Mototrig

Reaction score
From Davis Dam to Topock the water is so low a standup 550 can barely navigate the shallow rocks. Everyone stay home, save yourself from prop damage

hallett21

Reaction score
I also heard 3 crocodiles escaped from the needles zoo bear jack smith park and have been seen in the gorge. Highly recommended everyone stays away!

What about the anaconda

You guys remember how people thought that was real? Pretty sure @RiverDave was getting phone calls lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
We just got back from Powell on Sunday

We just got back from Powell on Sunday. It was amazing! We are now looking at a 1994 Sea Ray 290 with twin v6s. In your opinion do you think that would perform adequately for the size of the boat? It only has 300 hours on it.

I know two guys with 290 twin v6s… they seem to be ok with them and you can run 17p 4 blades to help with the heavy loads. BUT you are asking a guy with twin 5.7… not 5.0s, not 4.6s….. So I am only able to speak to the 5.7 set up, I have never said I wish I had smaller motors!

Dr Rob

Reaction score
I know two guys with 290 twin v6s… they seem to be ok with them and you can run 17p 4 blades to help with the heavy loads. BUT you are asking a guy with twin 5.7… not 5.0s, not 4.6s….. So I am only able to speak to the 5.7 set up, I have never said I wish I had smaller motors!
I appreciate the reply. I just was not sure what to expect. It says it has 130 gallons of fuel. Just wondering what kind of range it would have at cruise.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I appreciate the reply. I just was not sure what to expect. It says it has 130 gallons of fuel. Just wondering what kind of range it would have at cruise.

That’s when the v6 has an advantage… I would guess you get closer to 1.5-2 mpg. I hold 110 gallons and get about 1.25 mpg. The older model 290s have 8.5 foot beam and do better on fuel. At 1998 I believe the 290 went to a 10 foot beam like mine. Mine is 12000 lbs wet and the 1994 must be less…

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'll just say this . . . if I had ever got my shit together, i'd have a place out there, and I'd be spending my time at the river from november to april solo avoiding people. . . then rent that joint out in the heat months to the monkeys . . . but alas . . . i'm screwed.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

I am afraid to give any hard opinion because of how different everyone's situation is. But I would say that if you are just 2 people and/or 2 people and a couple small kids that the twin v6 would work. Especially, since the 94 is a narrower boat. Does it have a generator and AC? That adds weight also, that my boat may have in addition to your set up? I don't let dudes on my boat, but I can tell you when I have 2-4 women on my boat it gets small fast. I have all adult daughters so don't get weird about that statement, accept the fact that its true I don't like dudes on my boat! Me, my wife and one of her female friends (or one of my daughters) is about the perfect amount of people for a 4 day trip on Powell.

When we leave Wahweep with 110 gallons of fuel, 30 gallons of fresh water, 60-100 beers and all the food for four days... Its both sticks forward, full throttle and a slow trip up on plane. But once I am up on plane I am pretty sporty.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
I am afraid to give any hard opinion because of how different everyone's situation is. But I would say that if you are just 2 people and/or 2 people and a couple small kids that the twin v6 would work. Especially, since the 94 is a narrower boat. Does it have a generator and AC? That adds weight also, that my boat may have in addition to your set up? I don't let dudes on my boat, but I can tell you when I have 2-4 women on my boat it gets small fast. I have all adult daughters so don't get weird about that statement, accept the fact that its true I don't like dudes on my boat! Me, my wife and one of her female friends (or one of my daughters) is about the perfect amount of people for a 4 day trip on Powell.

When we leave Wahweep with 110 gallons of fuel, 30 gallons of fresh water, 60-100 beers and all the food for four days... Its both sticks forward, full throttle and a slow trip up on plane. But once I am up on plane I am pretty sporty.
This one has a 9-foot 8-inch beam. It has a 5kw westerbeke generator with Marine air and Heat. It is normally just my wife and I no, our kids are grown. It has 4-blade stainless props on it but I I'm not sure of the pitch yet.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
This one has a 9-foot 8-inch beam. It has a 5kw westerbeke generator with Marine air and Heat. It is normally just my wife and I no, our kids are grown. It has 4-blade stainless props on it but I I'm not sure of the pitch yet.

This boat then with 9'8" beam is about identical to my 10'2" beam and I would expect with the generator and AC etc... you are going to be about 10-12K loaded. You will/can get a yearly oversize water craft permit in AZ for about 40 bucks if you are going to trailer. UT annual oversize is another 95 bucks. My guess is that it would manage fine with the V6 and you will need to manage the weight accordingly by balancing the boat out etc..

Dr Rob

Reaction score
This boat then with 9'8" beam is about identical to my 10'2" beam and I would expect with the generator and AC etc... you are going to be about 10-12K loaded. You will/can get a yearly oversize water craft permit in AZ for about 40 bucks if you are going to trailer. UT annual oversize is another 95 bucks. My guess is that it would manage fine with the V6 and you will need to manage the weight accordingly by balancing the boat out etc..
So both beer ice chest go forward LOL

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Sept and Oct are horrible for boating.. There aren't huge crowds of people, the weather isn't scorching hot, and the water temperature hasn't cooled off yet. Terrible boating conditions.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Lots of rain today up in the Lake Powell region and Sept 1 kicks off the old guys boating season through the end of October!

Don't know if it was talked about in these waters, but I saw that the Lake Powell Challenge was cancelled. What a bummer! I had assumed maybe a combination of low lake levels and launch ramp access. Possibly a covid deal too (?). We cant wait to get back to Powell, last month was amazing!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Don't know if it was talked about in these waters, but I saw that the Lake Powell Challenge was cancelled. What a bummer! I had assumed maybe a combination of low lake levels and launch ramp access. Possibly a covid deal too (?). We cant wait to get back to Powell, last month was amazing!

Probably all things mentioned contributed to the cancellation. BUT Antelope is on the Navajo Reservation and they are much more in lock down than the rest of the state. Since they are a sovereign nation the same as a state, they have been more strict across the board with mask requirements etc... When I am cruising around Page I see what appears to me to be Navajo (blatant profiling on my part) fully masked up even when not on the reservation.

Tank

Reaction score
Yep, Oct boating on the lake / river is the WORST!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg