WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Canyon lake

encinoman

Reaction score
We have a waterfront home in parker and our drive is about 4 hours. We are on the strip near old manor market.
The kids are getting older and drive themselves, so I started thinking of something closer.
How does canyon lake compare
Hows the water quality
How do the crowds compare
Is there a RDP realtor to talk to
Thanks in advance

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Have a bunch of friends that live there...They love it

Honestly if I could handle the work commute to OC I would make the move tomorrow.

Prices are still fair and there seems to be a ton of activities.

Boating won't compare it's more of a floating/party lake and you are limited on speed and boat size.

@River Lynchmob

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I just moved from there last year, moved in in 2008. There's a few on here that still live in there.

Water quality was/is fine, in 10 years there was never an issue.
It's private, no outside boats, so not crowded compared to public access lakes.
Boat length limited to 21.5', speed limit 35MPH on the main lake, no towing tubes on the main lake, no wakesurfing on the main lake.
Lot of realtors, The Zinggs live in the lake, Kerry Keith lives in the lake.
Main activity is rafting up with friends and neighbors on the lake.
Golf Carts are street legal in the community.
If you have a commute you may want to consider that as well, as traffic sucks during commute times.

hallett21

Reaction score
I just moved from there last year, moved in in 2008. There's a few on here that still live in there.

Water quality was/is fine, in 10 years there was never an issue.
It's private, no outside boats, so not crowded compared to public access lakes.
Boat length limited to 21.5', speed limit 35MPH on the main lake, no towing tubes on the main lake, no wakesurfing on the main lake.
Lot of realtors, The Zinggs live in the lake, Kerry Keith lives in the lake.
Main activity is rafting up with friends and neighbors on the lake.
Golf Carts are street legal in the community.
If you have a commute you may want to consider that as well, as traffic sucks during commute times.

Is there another section people surf/ tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoker

Reaction score
I have lived here since 09 and absolutely love it. The boating is good especially on holidays. You can drive your golf cart all to all the stores and restaurants and pretty much anywhere else in the city. Let me know if you want to see any houses, my wife happens to be a realtor.

encinoman

Reaction score
We mostly ski and board.
What about watercraft?

Danger Dave

Reaction score
Is there another section people surf/ tube?

I've seen it done lowkey on the backwater where the slalom course and wakeboarders go. But if either are out then you can't really do it there either.

Duffster

Reaction score
Don’t do it!
I lived on Canyon Lake for two years renting on water with a dock and lift trying to decide if I was going to buy. The first year was fun because hey it’s all new and your on a lake and the golf cart deal after that I could not wait to move out. The place is a money making machine not including all the really crazy rules for the place and don’t get me started on the POA assholes controlling your every move.

The water quality is okay on the main part of the lake anywhere between that and the east gate can get pretty nasty. Water gets up to 90° in the summer and very green and the level drops a lot because they sell the water. The lake is 35mph and boat cops are cocky assholes and are always itching to write tickets for just about anything.

Very good feeling getting out of that place.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Canyon Lake is very small and you might as well not even have an engine on your boat. The security there is ridiculous. It's like an act of congress to have friends over to visit because they get hung up at the gate for 20 minutes. The final straw is there are NO MOTORCYCLES allowed inside the community. So if you own motorcycles you have to park it in the blazing hot sun in the lots at the entrances and drive your car to the lots. Your motorcycle will have to get hammered by the sun unless you want to trailer it a mile just to go for a ride. That part is a deal killer for me. I don't understand why they allow a bunch of golf carts to roam the streets but you can't ride a motorcycle to the exit???? No thanks

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
@River Lynchmob moved there last year.

I know several people that live there and they love it. It is actually a real City, that has gone through a few different city managers over the years. They have a tough time generating revenue because of the property owners association.

If you ride a bike (harley or the like) I don't think you can ride it inside the gates.

I would recommend Dave Anderson @CanyonLakeDave for real estate

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Reaction score
Canyon Lake is very small and you might as well not even have an engine on your boat. The security there is ridiculous. It's like an act of congress to have friends over to visit because they get hung up at the gate for 20 minutes. The final straw is there are NO MOTORCYCLES allowed inside the community. So if you own motorcycles you have to park it in the blazing hot sun in the lots at the entrances and drive your car to the lots. Your motorcycle will have to get hammered by the sun unless you want to trailer it a mile just to go for a ride. That part is a deal killer for me. I don't understand why they allow a bunch of golf carts to roam the streets but you can't ride a motorcycle to the exit???? No thanks

I've ridden dirt bikes for 40 years, the no motorcycle policy I liked, kept the noise down.
I liked the gate policy, my guests never had a problem getting in and it kept people out that had no business being there.
In 8 years never had one encounter with Marine Patrol or the POA aside from the bi-annual boat inspection and vehicle sticker renewal.
It's not for everyone but it worked for us until CA didn't make sense anymore.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I've ridden dirt bikes for 40 years, the no motorcycle policy I liked, kept the noise down.
I liked the gate policy, my guests never had a problem getting in and it kept people out that had no business being there.
In 8 years never had one encounter with Marine Patrol or the POA aside from the bi-annual boat inspection and vehicle sticker renewal.
It's not for everyone but it worked for us until CA didn't make sense anymore.
Don't get me wrong Danger Dave it's a beautiful community I just don't feel its a "real" boating lake. The OP seemed to be saying he would be replacing his boating at Parker with boating at Canyon Lake and I think he would be sorely disappointed. The homes on the lakefront are beautiful and the scenery is beautiful but the lake is more of a "water feature" versus a place to actually boat. Just my opinion.

Danger Dave

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Danger Dave it's a beautiful community I just don't feel its a "real" boating lake. The OP seemed to be saying he would be replacing his boating at Parker with boating at Canyon Lake and I think he would be sorely disappointed. The homes on the lakefront are beautiful and the scenery is beautiful but the lake is more of a "water feature" versus a place to actually boat. Just my opinion.

Performance boating I'd agree, serious wakeboarding or slalom skiing I'd disagree.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
There will never be another similar community built in CA. Due to permits, water etc. It will never happen again. I can recall when it was Railroad Canyon Lake. We used to hunt there.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I checked it out years back and they gave me some ridiculous number to use the lake or keep a boat on it for access fees and whatnot. I also bought a dirtbike from a guy there and the no riding bikes in the community was sure odd. From what was said earlier it seems like I dodged a bullet when not buying there.

Do your homework if you plan on buying there and I would speak to folks who live there versus a realtor to gain first hand info.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Lots of restrictions. I think the max boat length is 21-23ft. Like another poster said it’s a good floating hanging out lake. Good community with a lot going on I hear.

I don’t know about all you but the older I get the more I dislike “managed fun”.

Most parts of the river are still the “Wild West” in many ways. That’s the part
I like the most.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Performance boating I'd agree, serious wakeboarding or slalom skiing I'd disagree.
Are those the only watersports allowed? Says not on main lake where would you wakeboard at?

Danger Dave

Reaction score
Are those the only watersports allowed? Says not on main lake where would you wakeboard at?

For good water for slalom or wakeboarding you would go to the backwater, it's a separate area with it's own ramp. There is also a ski jump in it's own lagoon as well, in 8 years I never saw someone jump but did see boats in there. For just teaching someone, less serious boarding/skiing the main lake is fine, for putting around/rafting up there are plenty of no wake areas. You can paddle board, open water swim, kayak, float tube, I've seen smaller sailboats(like sabots/lazers, and even small Hobie Cats).

Again, 21.5 boat length or shorter, they do measure. It was around $240 a year for your boat sticker to use the lake, they do check.

getch

Reaction score
This is our 3rd summer living in Canyon Lake, we love it and have no plans on moving. Its seems like a rare place to me where there is a sense of "Community" It's definitely not for everyone but if you can follow a couple simple rules you wont have a problem and will love it, but if you want to do what you want when you want its not the place for you. If you or your kids want to water ski or wakeboard id say its one of the best places in socal to do so. For us it didn't replaced the river, it just lets us fill our time in between trips and weekends we cant make it. Golf cart is a must, you can take it anywhere in the city and to the liquor stores, and ew bars across the street.

Took the boat to taco Tuesday last night.

cl.jpg

Last edited:

rivergames

Reaction score
My family is on the strip in Marina Manor and my pad is across the street 1 row back. Where are you at near MM?

Duffster

Reaction score
For good water for slalom or wakeboarding you would go to the backwater, it's a separate area with it's own ramp. There is also a ski jump in it's own lagoon as well, in 8 years I never saw someone jump but did see boats in there. For just teaching someone, less serious boarding/skiing the main lake is fine, for putting around/rafting up there are plenty of no wake areas. You can paddle board, open water swim, kayak, float tube, I've seen smaller sailboats(like sabots/lazers, and even small Hobie Cats).

Again, 21.5 boat length or shorter, they do measure. It was around $240 a year for your boat sticker to use the lake, they do check.

Yes $240 per year for the lake use boat sticker plus the costs for your normal AZ or CF tag. And they also require 300k in insurance and to be named on your policy. They will call you the day your policy ends for the new terms and threaten to fine you if you don’t get it to them in time. It’s like living at the California DMV on the lake totally ridiculous.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yes $240 per year for the lake use boat sticker plus the costs for your normal AZ or CF tag. And they also require 300k in insurance and to be named on your policy. They will call you the day your policy ends for the new terms and threaten to fine you if you don’t get it to them in time. It’s like living at the California DMV on the lake totally ridiculous.

That would be a non factor for most. Basically $240 to be on a private lake and a call to the insurance agent to add them as AI. (You should already have liability of 500K+ on a boat imho)

It absolutely won't work for most but I'm not a harley guy and it would be nice to boat on a nice lake in my backyard so I wouldn't be worried about the rules.

getch

Reaction score

That’s about what a launch pass costs for Windsor. One weekend on the water at home instead of the river and that $240 is already saved and paid for the entire year. And the coverage for insurance is standard coverage anyways, so it’s only a problem if you don’t normally insure your boat.

hallett21

Reaction score
Other than its location (for my life) seems like a nice setup. I wouldn’t give up the river or naci. But on a random Thursday you can just go for a quick lap and have a beer? Hell ya

encinoman

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies

I have a ski nautique so the boat length is fine, we got rid of the bikes a while ago.

We are next to where the old laundry was, I just built a metal building on the front.

My wife likes her seadoo
I'm fine with getting rid of it.

What are prices on the water in CL

encinoman

Reaction score
Also worried about water quality with my kids always in the water.
Warm water and the brain eating bacteria?

stoker

Reaction score
Living on the water there is nothing better than being able to hop on your boat at any time. As far as the enforcement on the water you have to be doing something really stupid to have them pull you over, no“safety checks” or harassment whatsoever. In the 10 years I have lived here I have never been hassled.

stoker

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies

I have a ski nautique so the boat length is fine, we got rid of the bikes a while ago.

We are next to where the old laundry was, I just built a metal building on the front.

My wife likes her seadoo
I'm fine with getting rid of it.

What are prices on the water in CL

Prices start at $550,000 and up

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'd be checking this out if it wasn't for the commute. My wife would have to find a new job. My closest office is Ontario, CA so I could probably make it work. How would the drive be to Ontario?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'd be checking this out if it wasn't for the commute. My wife would have to find a new job. My closest office is Ontario, CA so I could probably make it work. How would the drive be to Ontario?

4-5 hours :D

The 15 is a freaking nightmare I don't know how people to the Temecula/Canyon lake to anywhere commute with the construction. I imagine they will be expanding the toll road and that will help.

CanyonLakeDave

Reaction score
Hey there, I’d be more than happy to give you a tour anytime.
I have raised 3 kids in Canyon Lake and absolutely love living here. Sure there’s an HOA however no more strict than any other. We live here and have a place at The Islander so I guess I’m ok with restrictions in place to preserve a nice environment.
Canyonlakedave.com

brgrcru

Reaction score
its been a while, since we lived there 1990--2000.
my cousin still does. I go meet up with him, on Tuesdays, to ski the slalom course.
one of the best places, we have ever lived . still miss it to this day.

very active life style community and lots to do. ski, board , golf , jog , walk, tennis, fish, paddle board, visit , golf carts, hot moms. its all there.
hoa are reasonable and the boat fee. for lake use, is just as much as a tank of gas to river and back.

Danger Dave

Reaction score

I drove from Canyon Lake to either Fontana(Etiwanda&Slover) or Jurupa Valley(Agua Mansa & Brown Ave). It sucked either place, either the 215 or the 15 sucked both ways. Plan on 90 minutes each way unless you're working at 3AM or really off schedules.

danbfive

Reaction score

The 15 is a freaking nightmare I don't know how people to the Temecula/Canyon lake to anywhere commute with the construction. I imagine they will be expanding the toll road and that will help.
1-1:30 hrs with traffic

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My mom lives on the water in canyon lake and I lived there with her for my last 2 yrs in ca while I was cutting my roots and getting ready to leave CA (again).

It is an awesome little lake. And I did my fair share of boarding on the main body, but you have to do it in the middle of the week or near dawn/dusk if you actually want to enjoy it. Otherwise, it's a great little cruising lake. Poa patrols including the marine patrol is a royal pita. They will cite you for doing 3 over the speed limit. I've been pulled over by marine patrol multiple times for not following community rules in regards to towing people, I did always get off with "warnings" when I'd use rider safety concerns and combat their rules with coastguard rules. There is a gas dock on the lake too. No wake after dark.

I had/have a Harley so the rules in regards to bikes definitely bothered me.

There are also condos on the lake in several locations that may or may not make sense for you, just keep in mind that you will have 2 separate poa bills to pay in these.

My commute to the 91/15 interchange was anywhere from 35min to 1hr10min on any given morning

It was a great place but I had to get the hell out of CA.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like you need Corona....its central man...:D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

I drive 1hr on average now,
Sounds like you need Corona....its central man...:D
I know I’ve been thinking about it. She needs to be a close to somewhere LA county though for work, what’s the nearest city in LA county to Corona ?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I drive 1hr on average now,

I know I’ve been thinking about it. She needs to be a close to somewhere LA county though for work, what’s the nearest city in LA county to Corona ?
Probably like Pomona...lil further...Covinas...San Dimas..Diamond Bar..20 to 30 miles.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Probably like Pomona...lil further...Covinas...San Dimas..Diamond Bar..20 to 30 miles.
Pomona would work, looks like it’s 19 miles from Corona. Not bad. Traffic is probably effed though....what’s rush hour like from Corona to Pomona, or Corona to Ontario ?

jet496

Reaction score
It's like Hidden Shores but on steroids.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Been driving Murrieta to Corona (15&ontario ave) for 20+ years.
Used to be 1/2hr drive, now very close to 1hr at 6:30-7am. I can get home in 40mins.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score

The wagner family were the ones who ran the jump course. The wagners were professional skiers and old man dave was the one who built the jump. Old man died years ago and his son dave kept it going for a bit. Dave jr moved to washington around the same time I moved out of canyon lake and to temecula.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Also worried about water quality with my kids always in the water.
Warm water and the brain eating bacteria?
When i lived there, there were a few times when the lake would get shut down for water quailty. There was an issue years ago when sewage run off from qual valley would get in the lake after a rain, but with all the new infrastructure being built in surronding areas im sure thats been rectified

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

78Southwind

Reaction score
I have always liked Canyon Lake and thought someday I would live there. However, I wonder about house prices during a down-turn. My parents use to own property in Canyon Lake but they never built on the lot and ended up selling it. In 1995 they ended up moving to Spring Valley Lake, CA. It doesn't have the community that I hear about with Canyon Lake but it is a pretty similar idea. The only thing I noticed is that it seemed like the house prices got hammered really bad in the great recession. How did the house prices hold up in Canyon Lake during the great recession?