WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car Dealership lifetime warranties?

Wbinder

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with dealership lifetime warranties on engine transmission and drivetrain? Seems to good to be true? I’ve seen a few dealerships advertise this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Usually requires ALL maintenance through them etc. Never seen diesel or hybrids included.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I know a guy that has a lifetime warranty on a dodge. He wants to pass it down to his son because they have the same name. Thinks they can keep it going. LOL

sintax

Reaction score
is this a manufactures warranty or a dealer warranty?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
In 09 I bought a Dodge 1500 pickup, at that time Dodge was offering a lifetime extended warranty that I had purchased. The truck was a piece of shit, I lemon lawed it and they gave me pain and suffering money, but they didn’t want it back. I sold it to Carmax and bought a Chevy. In 18 months I lost $1800 on that warranty when I cashed it in, even though the truck was still under the factory warranty and I never got to use the extended warranty.

Spider

Reaction score
The company Warranty Forever is legit. Used them at the dealers I ran and they backed there product

pixrthis

Reaction score
The idea of having to deal with any dealer for a lifetime of owning a vehicle makes me cringe, at some point I’m ready to replace the vehicle or take responsibility if I choose to own out of warranty.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with dealership lifetime warranties on engine transmission and drivetrain? Seems to good to be true? I’ve seen a few dealerships advertise this

Didnt do shit for Chris Davidson when his F350 blew up...
Ford claimed they found water in the fuel that the station couldn't find in its test logs.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Never had a need for and extended warranty. I'd rather spend my money on an f150. 😉

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I bought my 2007 MegaCab with a factory Lifetime Warranty. I always had doubts, but one time in for AC work they replaced a leaking tail shaft seal and a rear axle seal gratis. I didnt even know the axle seal was leaking and the tail shaft was minimal. 60K miles then.
Truck has 200K mi now and the powertrain has been flawless. Trans still shifts like new, with only 3 fluid changes in all that time. You guys that always bag on Dodge transmissions need to give it a rest.

NeedlesRat

Reaction score
My mother in law has the lifetime warranty on her 2014 Durango. It’s paid for itself easily. The car is actually at the dealer now for a blown head gasket at 160k miles. Never any questions asked and it’s Covered bumper to bumper. Honestly with the prices are cars right now, it’s not worth selling because the warranty doesn’t expire until 999,999 miles. For her it was well worth it. Unfortunately it’s getting head gaskets at 160k miles but its
Covered. She never had to do the maintenance there, but has had most of it done there so that she never has issues with warranty because it’s documented that they do the work.

Reactions: DWC

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Usually requires ALL maintenance through them etc. Never seen diesel or hybrids included.

My truck was bought CPO.

The dealership said as long as they did all of the maintenance by the book, they’d offer a lifetime warranty.

The dealership is in Michigan.
I live in Texas [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I have it on my 2011 3.8 Jeep JKU.
Anytime anything goes wrong that is not a wear and tear item like brakes etc, I pay a $100 deductible and it get's fixed. It has more then paid for itself since I've had the seals, new gas tank, lines, radiator, hoses, and some others replaced.

boatpi

Reaction score
As oppose to a dealership or a warranty company, Chrysler offered a lifetime powertrain warranty to all cars back in 2014-2015. It was for the original purchaser only, so that Durango may be one of them, DO NOT sell it.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
if the catch is i have do all the maintanence at the dealer, im out. i pay more to get my oil changed else where because they do it in 20 minutes with no appointment, the dealer takes 3 hours with an appointment. my time is worth more than the $20

84miller

Reaction score
I would need to read the contract. I do know people who purchased a used car from CarMax and purchased their warranty...and had no problems getting repairs even from independent. I also read the story of the million mile Volvo P1800 owner. The owner always purchased lifetime brakes, muffler through Midas, which paid out in the long run. Dealer life time warranty, I would need to do some research.

j21black

Reaction score
I've had a couple - Never had to use though, always get rid of it for a new truck before it comes to that.

I was talking to one dealer about it and he said they are worthless. Will deny an engine failure because you didn't replace the filter for your air conditioned seats when required He was impressed when I showed him the maintenance log I keep in the back seat.

My take on it was, I'm getting this truck cheaper from you then anyone else, and it comes with this warranty so why not?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
as with all warranties and insurance, for every person where it has paid for itself, there are 5-10 people where it was a giant waste of money.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
as with all warranties and insurance, for every person where it has paid for itself, there are 5-10 people where it was a giant waste of money.

[emoji106]

For carmakers, warranties are basically seen as marketing costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Wonder if the lifetime warranty would stop the annoying "trying to reach you about your extended warranty" phone calls. If that's the case sign me up!

No. It won’t stop the annoying solicitation calls. Those companies are purchasing call lists with your name on it. They have no idea of what car you’re driving or what insurance you may or may not have on it.