WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car hauler value?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am debating selling this and having a new one built.. Or keeping it and completely going through and updating it.. Most of that is based on value of the current trailer.

What do you think this car hauler is worth?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418683564.226507.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418683575.212234.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
Looking on Craigslist looks like people are asking 1500-2k for something like that. Seems like new stuff is starting at 2800+

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
In that condition, I would guess around $1200.

But those fenders are cool, newer ones are much simpler.
If you have the bandwidth, I'd refurb the one you have, it has a good look to it :thumbup:

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I just bought a new Big Tex and it was $2800. I'd say yours is worth $1500-1800 pending on buyer pool. Eg 1500 in Havasu, 1800 in Carlsbad.

I just partially moved to Redding and wanted to unload a 2 wheel drive truck that we never used. I posted it on Craigslist up here and got nothing in 3 weeks, only a couple inquiry's about 2 or 4 wheel drive. I took it to San Diego and had multiple offers in one day. I sold it for over blue book. I was amazed! I was kinda thinking I should start buying cars up here and selling them in Socal when I have to go down for business.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not being a full deck I'd say about $1200. Spent quite a bit of time shopping for one last year. I paid $1100 for a full deck Carson, but I had to re-deck it.

It's a tool. Why would you sell a perfectly good tool?

It's a 16'er.. I just wanted to step up to a 20'er more or less and or update this one. I will say this is the best towing trailer I've ever owned. It's heavy and tows well empty or loaded at almost any speed range.

RD

dread Pirate

Reaction score
It's a 16'er.. I just wanted to step up to a 20'er more or less and or update this one. I will say this is the best towing trailer I've ever owned. It's heavy and tows well empty or loaded at almost any speed range.

RD

If you want or need the $1000 towards a new one then sell it. If you don't then keep it and use it when you have something "nasty" to haul and save the new trailer. Never hurts to have an extra set of wrenches after all. :thumbup:

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I sold my old trailer pretty fast for $1000. I think I sold it within a matter of a couple of days. The first guy that came out, bought it. It was a great trailer, but needed a little bit of work to make pretty.

I was going to re-do it, but ended up selling the Rhino, so I had no use for the trailer.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

RD

RD

So the deck is 16' long? Just want to be sure.

Brian

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you want or need the $1000 towards a new one then sell it. If you don't then keep it and use it when you have something "nasty" to haul and save the new trailer. Never hurts to have an extra set of wrenches after all. :thumbup:

I wouldn't sell it for a grand.. It does too good of a job to let it go that cheap.

RD

So the deck is 16' long? Just want to be sure.

Brian

Is it in Havasu with you?

Brian

Yes on both questions. It's a 16' Custom Car Hauler, and it is in my side yard in havasu.

RD

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I might be interested I could get rid of the POS I have next to the house up there and upgrade to your's

BajaWarrior

Reaction score
RD,

Is this trailer still available? Width on bed and width fender to fender over over please. Condition of tires? 2" ball? Did you come up with a price?

We'll be up on the 15th and we have a place at Holiday Harbour.

Chuck

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I decided to make it nicer. It is in process of having axles replaced, wood removed and expanded metal installed.. Led lights etc. I am also switching it from electric brakes to surge brakes and a 2 inch ball..

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Never sell a trailer. That's like selling a hammer. You don't use it everyday but that one day you need it it works way better than a rock.
Make it how you want

waterhorse

Reaction score
Yeah also curious, why surge brakes?
So any vehicle can tow it even if it doesn't have the brake wiring?

BajaWarrior

Reaction score
I decided to make it nicer. It is in process of having axles replaced, wood removed and expanded metal installed.. Led lights etc. I am also switching it from electric brakes to surge brakes and a 2 inch ball..

Not a problem, I am in need of another trailer to leave at our home in Baja. Yours would've been a good fit. Good luck with your renovation.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave why surge brakes?

Yeah also curious, why surge brakes?
So any vehicle can tow it even if it doesn't have the brake wiring?

This trailer has been in my family since 1993 or something like that.. In all of those years only one tow vehicle anybody in my family has ever had, had a brake controller in it. LOL

I have had two vehicles that if you plugged in the trailer wiring at all, when the brake lights came on it would lock up the electric brakes. One time I towed the trailer up to Schiada with my Navigator. Ended up picking it up with the old Tundra, and was more or less "stuck" there. I ended up having Schiada rewire the whole trailer, and ditch the trailer brakes all together. (Never used them anyways)

If I switch it to surge brakes, then the brakes will work no matter what is towing it. If I switch it to a 2 inch ball, then I don't keep having to flip hitches, keep seperate trailer balls and everything else that goes along with that. Just seems like switching it would make life a lot easier. My boat on the trailer weighs more then this trailer and anything I'm ever going to put on it, so I'd say a 2 inch ball is fine.

Dave the important thing, is to have it available when we need to borrow it.

Anytime you need it Tom it will be here for you. :)

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
This trailer has been in my family since 1993 or something like that.. In all of those years only one tow vehicle anybody in my family has ever had, had a brake controller in it. LOL

I have had two vehicles that if you plugged in the trailer wiring at all, when the brake lights came on it would lock up the electric brakes. One time I towed the trailer up to Schiada with my Navigator. Ended up picking it up with the old Tundra, and was more or less "stuck" there. I ended up having Schiada rewire the whole trailer, and ditch the trailer brakes all together. (Never used them anyways)

If I switch it to surge brakes, then the brakes will work no matter what is towing it. If I switch it to a 2 inch ball, then I don't keep having to flip hitches, keep seperate trailer balls and everything else that goes along with that. Just seems like switching it would make life a lot easier. My boat on the trailer weighs more then this trailer and anything I'm ever going to put on it, so I'd say a 2 inch ball is fine.

Anytime you need it Tom it will be here for you. :)

The new Chevys come w brake control [emoji4]

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Only two axles where is the third? LOL What color will it be painted?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Only two axles where is the third? LOL What color will it be painted?

Haven't decided yet.. Probably black or gun metal grey. Also haven't decided if I'm going to powdercoat the wheels or not.

I almost added a third axle.. Lol. Decided it tows to well to mess with it.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Lol. Thought about selling my trailer a couple years ago because it just wasn't pretty enough:D THEN....... my buddy who does mobile rhino lining (same type of material, different brand) came over and shot the entire thing for me. Huge differenct in looks. My trailer has been pulled all over the west coast and mid west. Most of the time lately it's friends using it to move project cars back and forth the shop. Still can't find a valid reason not to keep it:D The LED lights and the mesh down the middle are a great idea. I think I'll take that project on sometime this year.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There will be one D ring on each of the new fender pad locations, as well as u bolts down the middle again..

I have never needed one before but all my friends tell me I need a winch on the front of it.. So I will add that as well.

sirbob

Reaction score
Dave what happened to those cool fenders ?

I really liked the old school dip in between axles ???

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave what happened to those cool fenders ?

I really liked the old school dip in between axles ???

Well apparently Rusty over at All In Kustom Trailers didn't share your sentiment.. LOL

I just dropped it off and told him to modernize the trailer and give it an updated look and switch it to surge brakes. I didn't really give him any other direction. Yesterday he called me and told me to come by and look at it to make sure they were going the right direction, and to pick some details before they put color on it.

When I got there I saw the trailer for the first time. I saw that they had moved the front cross member from going up to a flat one, added the Fender Pads, changed from wood to expanded metal (I liked the wood, but everyone says expanded metal is better..) and among a 100 other little things I saw they had cut that little hump out of the Fenders.

RD

sirbob

Reaction score
Well darn - I really thought those fenders were cool [emoji22]

I do like the work to the front of the trailer though.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I went by Rusty's yard last week and took a few pics of my trailer.. Yes I know it's been down there forever. I told Rusty I really don't give a shit about the timeline at all.. I figure what's the difference if it sits on the side of my house, or if it sits in his fenced yard. LOL The wheels were powdercoated, and he had a few other things done to it. I also dropped off the winch for him to install.

He's gonna wrap it up in the next 2 - 3 weeks for me. I told him I don't care what color or paint he uses.. But would prefer something extremely durable like a "hammer finish" black or something. I was really happy with what he did with the wheels.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437375733.879988.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437375757.463567.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437375779.401590.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437375800.020286.jpg

28skater

Reaction score
Trailer is coming out nice you might consider adding on air damn to protect what your hauling?

110497190_9.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Most the time I'm hauling a Sxs or a rail. At 16' long I'm a little short so I need to be able to tie down things in the front as well.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446798279.092131.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446798298.527250.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446798321.714799.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446798338.766010.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446798360.470224.jpg

Just occurred to me I never put up updated photos.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
That came out looking pretty damn good!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Backlash

Reaction score
Beadlocks on a trailer. Baller! :D

Looks good Dave!

28skater

Reaction score
Little bit off the subject but any idea what that featherlight goes for?

I paid around $ 9.200.00 which was a good deal because I also purchased a dump trailer at the same time.

The featherlite is really a good deal when you consider having to repainting steel trailers every five years or sooner, my powder-coated Big Tex dump trailer is already rusting less than a year old!

Plus the Featherlite has torsion axles and tows bitchen.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Beadlocks on a trailer. Baller! :D

Looks good Dave!

Those are the same wheels that were on it originally! They have just been powdercoated black, with the fake beadlocks masked off.. Those are some really old cheap ass wheels that we bought in the early 90's when someone stole the stock steel ford wheels off of it. :D

I paid around $ 9.200.00 which was a good deal because I also purchased a dump trailer at the same time.

The featherlite is really a good deal when you consider having to repainting steel trailers every five years or sooner, my powder-coated Big Tex dump trailer is already rusting less than a year old!

Plus the Featherlite has torsion axles and tows bitchen.

This trailer is I think a 1990 if memory serves and there's no rust on it.. I was driving with this thing in Mexico when I was 16.. And hauling cars to LA County Raceway etc at the same age.

RD