WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car insurance???

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a 2nd vehicle for work miles...

Currently,

2015 F350
30k annual miles.
Max coverage

My thoughts, pu used 2016-2018 $15k beater, great MPG... (30-35)

Mileage;
20k miles on beater annually
10k on my Truck...

Question

Will my insurance be less on my Truck, hopefully to offset a second vehicle?
(will be 3rd vehicle , plus Harley in 2 driver home)

Thanks Rick

Riverside county if that matters...

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I've done the same thing you're trying to do for years now.

2002 f350 10k miles annually, it sits in my garage has a 146k miles on it now. My commuter car up until last month has been a 2005 honda civic. We bought it with 15k miles on it and It now has 246K miles and still runs like a champ.

We lowered the coverage down a little bit on the truck, raised the deductible up, got rid of the extras like glass coverage, rental car and that saves some money for that vehicle. Find a beater that isn't worth much and lower the limits way down on that vehicle. If you have everything insured with the same company you should get multi line discounts. The other big savings we get is using the dreaded big brother monitoring system. Most large insurance companies are using some type of gps enabled driver monitoring system now. We've saved between 20 to 30% depending on our driver behavior and use. The system used by our insurance company evaluates harsh braking, acceleration and frequency of vehicle use. It doesn't register or record anything to do with speed or speeding..

Now I know your in Cali and I'm in AZ but these tips should work for you there.

dribble

Reaction score
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins and my daily driver is a 2000 Saturn Wagon. 26 MPG. I bought it 3 years ago with 46K mikes for $2000.00. Always garaged and the original owner was a 90 year old woman. It now has 77K. It has paid for itself 3 times over. I only carry liability on it so it raised my insurance only by $100.00 a year.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Same here, I destroy a car every three years with about 150k miles so I drive Camry’s or similar for that and keep the mileage and wear and tear off of the more valuable stuff in the garage.

I get a no money down low mileage lease every three years on a car, drive the hell out of it it, buy it at the end of the lease and sell it. I lose about $2500 on the deal but get 40 mpg, write off the lease, no maintenance and protect my i vestments in the nice cars in the garage so I think it’s worth it.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I remember doing this when I was about 18, had a new Nissan titan 4x4 and then I bought a street bike, I made the bike my primary and it dam near paid for the bike with what I saved. This is the shit we should be taught in school! I had no idea that it was going to save me any money.

I have almost always used that practice since, until about the last 2 years I changed some things around with work and cars, got tired of the stick shift and meeting with clients I found myself taking my truck more and more and then a buddy fell on some hard times with work and his engine blew so I sold it to him dirt cheap to help out.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If you add a second car you will end up with a multi car discount.

If you buy a junk commuter you can put the work mileage on that car and change the usage to pleasure on the other car. Most of the time it doesen't add that much premium if the new car is a older 4 door. I have actually seen it be cheaper with 2 cars than 1 in certain situations.

Call your agent for a quote.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
We do the same thing. The nice vehicles sit in the garage and the little old honda civic gets driven between Havasu and LAX or LAS. Luckily for us, the next commute back to havasu is my last one for a couple years..

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
If you add a second car you will end up with a multi car discount.

If you buy a junk commuter you can put the work mileage on that car and change the usage to pleasure on the other car. Most of the time it doesen't add that much premium if the new car is a older 4 door. I have actually seen it be cheaper with 2 cars than 1 in certain situations.

Call your agent for a quote.

God I am so glad I am out of that world, had a guy with a huracan and fuck you money. All of his other personal cars were on his business policy and his accountant said he couldn't justify the huracan on the business policy. Since it was single car, stupid expensive. Told him to go buy a beater, we added a 97 camry to the policy and it dropped the rate by about $2500/year

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I did it for 4 years with a Prius. It saved me a ton of money and wear and tear on the vehicle I cared about. With that said, I got rid of the Prius last December and love having a normal SUV with more room and space. My costs went up dramatically, but you only live once.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Same here, I destroy a car every three years with about 150k miles so I drive Camry’s or similar for that and keep the mileage and wear and tear off of the more valuable stuff in the garage.

I get a no money down low mileage lease every three years on a car, drive the hell out of it it, buy it at the end of the lease and sell it. I lose about $2500 on the deal but get 40 mpg, write off the lease, no maintenance and protect my i vestments in the nice cars in the garage so I think it’s worth it.

Love my Camry for the peace of mind I have while driving it. Don't have to worry about ripping off carbon fiber splitters or anything else that will be super costly.