WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car trim adhesive removal?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I am prepping my track car for paint and pulled off the door trim. I already have the rubber adhesive removing wheel on a drill. It is working great for the thin adhesive layer but where there is old foam left over, the rubber wheel is ineffective.

Anything I can quickly use to breakdown the foam tape to just leave adhesive?

Wipe with gas?
Another more aggressive wheel?

The thicker black areas of adhesive near the door edge is what I’m referring to. This is 36 year old adhesive tape.

3823A97E-B3E3-454A-A484-82AB8711CCB5.jpeg

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
3M adhesive remover is sold at O'Reilly's. I used the eraser wheel on my Denali and it worked great for the thick foam double sided tape

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Already using that.. it works on adhesive residue, not foam tape remnants.

since you don't give a shit about the paint...goof off, or try gasoline. I've had good luck with Ether also when I don't want to dive into my stash of chlorinated brake cleaner.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
since you don't give a shit about the paint...goof off, or try gasoline. I've had good luck with Ether also when I don't want to dive into my stash of chlorinated brake cleaner.

I may do that. Ideally I just want to break down the foam and wipe or scrape it down to the adhesive, then hit it with the rubber wheel and be done.

DaveH

Reaction score
why mess with it? looks like just a NASCR wall rub.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No mercy, mercy is for the weak.

Then you show your weakness, That is all that mercy is.

Look at the picture above. If that thing goes from getting bigger in your rear view mirror to in front of your windshield and getting smaller, I've done enough to you.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That poor little thing aint got nothin.

Now the other girl with the "C" does. :)

Brian

Look at the picture above. If that thing goes from getting bigger in your rear view mirror to in front of your windshield and getting smaller, I've done enough to you.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Heat gun the shit out of it and then roll it of. You'll notice you fingers work great for this., better than the plastic scraper. Youll do it for a bit, then before you notice it your fingers prints have been burned off and they are raw lol

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Homies gonna gain a millisecond on his times when that shit is stripped. Foam tape.residue gonna slow his ass down........drag....:D

rlemn8r

Let's go to the river..
Reaction score
Is the eraser wheel you are using one of the hard ones

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Heat gun the shit out of it and then roll it of. You'll notice you fingers work great for this., better than the plastic scraper. Youll do it for a bit, then before you notice it your fingers prints have been burned off and they are raw lol

No shit LOL.. I'm trying to avoid those blisters for once, they are the worst. This tape is so petrified, it wont roll up.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I misread the original post. Since the trim is already off would that gain you enough speed so that the foam would fly off as you are under way?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Might not be fast enough. :)

There is a reason race cars don't have trim on them. ;)

I misread the original post. Since the trim is already off would that gain you enough speed so that the foam would fly off as you are under way?

4Waters

Reaction score
Try the heat gun and then the use the rubber wheel while the foam is soft

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It should, that's all I have ever used, it has always taken it all off.

This isn’t like the modern adhesive tape. Or maybe it is because it is old. The wheel literally does almost nothing to it.

rlemn8r

Let's go to the river..
Reaction score
Sorry i didnt reply back yesterday. Get one of the hard wheels they work much better and you can put pressure on them. It should take that stuff right off..

cheezpanel

Reaction score
3M adhesive remover is sold at O'Reilly's. I used the eraser wheel on my Denali and it worked great for the thick foam double sided tape

Me too. I used the eraser wheel on my Tahoe door strips and it took off the foam and glue no problem. About 30 minutes total for both sides.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am prepping my track car for paint and pulled off the door trim. I already have the rubber adhesive removing wheel on a drill. It is working great for the thin adhesive layer but where there is old foam left over, the rubber wheel is ineffective.

Anything I can quickly use to breakdown the foam tape to just leave adhesive?

Wipe with gas?
Another more aggressive wheel?

The thicker black areas of adhesive near the door edge is what I’m referring to. This is 36 year old adhesive tape.

View attachment 760548

When I worked for Lexus, we would use these when replacing emblems and such.

They would never damage the paint and made quick work of the adhesive removal process...

3M(TM) Stripe Off Wheel 07499, 4" Diameter x 5/8" Width, Beige (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P16XJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dvP9Cb7X95RYV

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
You're a racer? Use your tire siping iron to shave it off.