WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car wash station installed!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Disregard the drywall texture etc.. Going to fix that next. Got a DI system (spotless rinse) from PB&J water awhile back and I wanted it mounted in a fashion where I can hook my pressure washer up to it, run hard water for cleaning, flip a valve and then have DI water for the final rinse.

You can see the by pass along the front for the haddwater, and you shut that valve off and open the other one and it will run through the filters to preserve them.

I’ll run the stick filters for the treat of the summer and winter and then do the internal conversion kit that gives you enough Filtration to run thousands of gallons through them and that should be good enough to last years without having to mess with the filters!

Going to try it tomorrow, then texture the drywall and done!

Now when Stacy’s car needs a quick rinse for the outside it should take minutes. :). Also makes cleaning up boats/off road insanely quicker.

344839E3-89DD-4F14-8650-CD986DBB4222.jpeg
F85A2689-2C84-4D4E-9B4D-60F78B59FBBB.jpeg
F61A75FA-FC2A-4F30-90A6-986C6E0BB4D2.jpeg
86DA19DF-EF31-4B55-8B0D-1A1699C9C8E1.jpeg

Last edited:

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing how well this system works.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Cool setup. Since you have water valves there and will have the potential for getting the wall wet you should have just installed a 4x8 piece of FRP on that section of the wall with a hook to hang the hose on. This way you don't have to finish the drywall and wall is protected from moisture. You can still do it, but you'll have to pull the filter brackets off and cut your copper lines then sweat the couplings to put the plumbing back together and remount the filter brackets. Another job for another day.

buck35

Reaction score
I'm a little curious how this works. I have a portable ro Di system but it has 4 separate filters and only makes a dribble of water, like 25 gallons a day.that and the di resin cartridge is only good for a few hundred gallons.

sirbob

Reaction score
Why the shut off valve on the bypass upright? Wouldn't the actual hose bib shut off suffice?

Neat set up to have in the garage.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Why the shut off valve on the bypass upright? Wouldn't the actual hose bib shut off suffice?

It's plumbed to be able to turn on/have water without it running through the filter.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I have a hose bib attached to the water softener that PB&J Installed. Spot free rinse.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Otherwise you’ll have water flowing when you swap filters and have to turn the water off to the entire house.

Isn't he short a valve. The current setup would allow it to backfeed into the second filter, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DLC

Singleton

Reaction score
Isn't he short a valve. The current setup would allow it to backfeed into the second filter, right?

That is what I see. Backfill into filters can’t be good

mswasey

Reaction score
Really interested in this, would love to set this up in my garage. Even my “softened” water leaves serious spots on my black paints despite my hustle to wipe down. Please detail all including cost as the thread continues. Thanks!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

I assume he’d just change both filters at around the same time. With no water pressure there is very little to no backfeeding anyway.

Turn on spigot, turn off valve, turn off spigot, unscrew filters and replace, and turn the valve back on.

That process de-pressurizes the filters before you change them.

EDIT. - I think Dave edited the pics.. looks like there is 2 valves, and a line back into the wall which I did not see on my phone.

Last edited:

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Shortdeck,.....
no backfeed. with upstream valve closed, no where for water to go.
Dave....
grab the hose bib. wiggle it to and from the wall..... you need a support piece from the filter bracket to the outer horizontal pipe. While wiggling ( a little) notice the flex in the copper 90 coming thru the wall below the valve.
With the weight of a full garden hose hanging on it. The enevitable kid tugging on it..... eventually, snap goes the 90 on the upstream side of the valve....
disclosure;
38 yrs. Pipefitter.

Jim

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Disregard the drywall texture etc.. Going to fix that next. Got a DI system (spotless rinse) from PB&J water awhile back and I wanted it mounted in a fashion where I can hook my pressure washer up to it, run hard water for cleaning, flip a valve and then have DI water for the final rinse.

You can see the by pass along the front for the haddwater, and you shit that valve off and open the other one and it will run through the filters to preserve them.

I’ll run the stick filters for the treat of the summer and winter and then do the internal conversion kit that gives you enough Filtration to run thousands of gallons through them and that should be good enough to last years without having to mess with the filters!

Going to try it tomorrow, then texture the drywall and done!

Now when Stacy’s car needs a quick rinse for the outside it should take minutes. :). Also makes cleaning up boats/off road insanely quicker.

View attachment 675125 View attachment 675126 View attachment 675127 View attachment 675128

How long do they expect those small filters to last?

I looked into something like this years ago, but the cost didn't make any sense. (I could just wash my cars at work, dealerships all have these type of systems).

Now that I don't work at the dealership, would be nice to have something like this. Thanks.

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
This is the unit I have used for the last 5+ years. It provides 100% spot free water and will turn off if it detects any degradation of water quality. A set of bottles last me a season. I bought the unit but you can lease them as well. It works awesome.

https://www.suezwatertechnologies.com/kcpguest/salesedge/documents/Fact Sheets_Cust/Americas/English/FS1118EN.pdf

I will be looking into this, thanks Sam. Is there anyone local selling or did you have it shipped in?

Taboma

Reaction score
It looks like RD's system is good for 300gal, more if fed with a RO system.

I'm curious if that 300 gal capacity will be obtained with the extremely hard Havasu water. I'm sure the fine print will state "Results will vary". Certainly pre-RO will extend that capacity but that will require a rather large storage capacity for boat rinsing.
The one test review I read stated a lot of rinsing is required to keep it from streaking, 300 gallon isn't going to last long.
I also didn't notice a dissolved solids meter on Dave's system. I suppose when it starts spotting or streaking it's time to change the filters.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
This is the unit I have used for the last 5+ years. It provides 100% spot free water and will turn off if it detects any degradation of water quality. A set of bottles last me a season. I bought the unit but you can lease them as well. It works awesome.

https://www.suezwatertechnologies.com/kcpguest/salesedge/documents/Fact Sheets_Cust/Americas/English/FS1118EN.pdf
This is the real deal.....I tried using the same size cartridges on the CR Spotless system, which also boasts 300gal of spot free water, they are not big enough. With the TDS of our Havasu water, and the cost of resin, it does not pencil out. I also thought that being in havasu with all the RO and water softener companies in town, that I could get resin cheap and plentiful.....not the case....nobody really wants to mess with the resin!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Cool setup. Since you have water valves there and will have the potential for getting the wall wet you should have just installed a 4x8 piece of FRP on that section of the wall with a hook to hang the hose on. This way you don't have to finish the drywall and wall is protected from moisture. You can still do it, but you'll have to pull the filter brackets off and cut your copper lines then sweat the couplings to put the plumbing back together and remount the filter brackets. Another job for another day.

I'm not sure why the wall would be getting wet with this setup? It will be hooked to a short 10' Hose that's connected to the pressure washer that will be sitting outside the garage when in use. Or are you saying a potential spray from the connection to the hose?

RD

thetub

Reaction score
whats the difference with a water softener and this?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

It would suffice if I was just trying to shut off the water. The way this is setup you close the filter valves and you are running hard water. You walk over and close the hardwater, open the filter valve and now the water is running through the filters. That second valve is a bypass to the filters themselves.

The idea being when you are pressure washing you can blow the dirt off with the hardwater and preserve the filters, and you just use the DI water for the final rinse. That way you only use a couple of gallons of water for the final rinse instead of 10 -15 gallons washing the whole car.

I need this, cost?
Otherwise you’ll have water flowing when you swap filters and have to turn the water off to the entire house.

This is a T off an outside hose big, which incidentally is a T off the main to the house. I can shut off the outside hosebib, and this without affecting the house water.

It's impossible to backfeed the filters in any scenario with this setup. The system is full of water, and there is an on / off valve inline, so when you open the bypass valve it will apply water pressure to the water that is already in the system but it has nowhere to go so it can't go backwards. Even if you open both valves the only exit point is out of the hose bib itself so it can't flow backwards with = pressure on both sides. The only instance it could flow backwards would be if the filters were empty.

That is what I see. Backfill into filters can’t be good

It can't. See above.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
whats the difference with a water softener and this?

I'm curious if that 300 gal capacity will be obtained with the extremely hard Havasu water. I'm sure the fine print will state "Results will vary". Certainly pre-RO will extend that capacity but that will require a rather large storage capacity for boat rinsing.
The one test review I read stated a lot of rinsing is required to keep it from streaking, 300 gallon isn't going to last long.
I also didn't notice a dissolved solids meter on Dave's system. I suppose when it starts spotting or streaking it's time to change the filters.

It isn't being fed with an RO system, and yes the stock filters will probably be good for 150-200 gallons because of our hard water. That's a large part of the reason why I set it up with the valves to be able to wash the cars, and then just use this water for a final rinse.. The valves make it easy so that I don't even have to turn off the pressure washer or reconnect it to another system. Even if I use 5 gallons of water for a final rinse that's 30 washes.

That all said I am aware of the limitations of the canisters, but there's a conversion kit you can buy online that basically takes the filters out, and uses the entire canister as the filter increasing there capacity quite a bit. ;)

(Your welcome Sam.. ;) :D) Start at 7:00 minute mark for conversion kit.

RD

Motor Boater

Reaction score
If you guys ever watch the show this old house they do an episode where they install this same system. They filmed the show and installed it in my buddies house. He seems to like the system so far.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I will be looking into this, thanks Sam. Is there anyone local selling or did you have it shipped in?

If you want come over and check it out and test it. Once you start using this you will never look back. Best investment into a tool I have ever made. Saves me time and money. All my things gets washed after ever use as well. I have an account at my shop here in OC that is on the delivery schedule. Last I looked they were going as far as laughlan. A few of our neighbors where getting bottles from there. I have two sets because I did not ever want to run out mid wash and just exchange them when I am in CA. You always lease the bottles for like $10 a month and I think it is like $50 or so when you exchange for fresh resin. I have a unit at my shop here as well so I do not have to go to a car wash or have a detailer come.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Every car dealership has a few of those things.

Baller ;):D

Yeah the dealerships use them so they do not have to touch the cars and keep them clean quick. They make some industrial models on a driveable cart. They work awesome. Now I just need to train my boys to properly use it.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It isn't being fed with an RO system, and yes the stock filters will probably be good for 150-200 gallons because of our hard water. That's a large part of the reason why I set it up with the valves to be able to wash the cars, and then just use this water for a final rinse.. The valves make it easy so that I don't even have to turn off the pressure washer or reconnect it to another system. Even if I use 5 gallons of water for a final rinse that's 30 washes.

That all said I am aware of the limitations of the canisters, but there's a conversion kit you can buy online that basically takes the filters out, and uses the entire canister as the filter increasing there capacity quite a bit. ;)

(Your welcome Sam.. ;) :D) Start at 7:00 minute mark for conversion kit.

RD

There is some talk on another site that people did the conversation. They said it’s not all that great, but it does last little longer but not what the seller says. I have one and going to replace with same cartridge.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I installed two pre filters similar to that for my entire house. Sediment and charcoal filters.
Haven't had to fiddle around with purging or cleaning my water softner since.
If I lived here full time the $15-20 a month for unlimited car washes at cartoyz is worth to me.

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
If you want come over and check it out and test it. Once you start using this you will never look back. Best investment into a tool I have ever made. Saves me time and money. All my things gets washed after ever use as well. I have an account at my shop here in OC that is on the delivery schedule. Last I looked they were going as far as laughlan. A few of our neighbors where getting bottles from there. I have two sets because I did not ever want to run out mid wash and just exchange them when I am in CA. You always lease the bottles for like $10 a month and I think it is like $50 or so when you exchange for fresh resin. I have a unit at my shop here as well so I do not have to go to a car wash or have a detailer come.

I need to just come by and say hello!! I have an email into the manufacture of your system. That company is huge in Muni work. I am also looking into the system RD just posted up as it may fit my size needs better.

Thanks to both you and RD, i have been considering something like this for awhile as I do most my own washing.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I installed two pre filters similar to that for my entire house. Sediment and charcoal filters.
Haven't had to fiddle around with purging or cleaning my water softner since.
I did the exact same thing and haven't had to mess with my WS as well. Don't know about yours but that first sediment filters gets dirty quick. Had to change it 3 times this year where as before I only had to change it about every six months.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have a hose bib attached to the water softener that PB&J Installed. Spot free rinse.

A water softener should help, but that's but it isn't going to deliver a spot free rinse. ???

Yep - I want to see if I can use the foam gun on the DI machine direct. I would rather not have another machine just for soaping.

I’d just run a second hose to the foam gun. Why waste the DI water just to contaminate the output with soap?

I need to just come by and say hello!! I have an email into the manufacture of your system. That company is huge in Muni work. I am also looking into the system RD just posted up as it may fit my size needs better.

Thanks to both you and RD, i have been considering something like this for awhile as I do most my own washing.

I believe my Canisters are the same size as SJP's and Bullhead Bullies. I just hard mounted them to the wall instead of buying the cart system.

RD

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing and haven't had to mess with my WS as well. Don't know about yours but that first sediment filters gets dirty quick. Had to change it 3 times this year where as before I only had to change it about every six months.
Sediment on mine is a pleated element, going on month 9. Pressure ok in house but if two showers are running it's a bit weak now. Probably about time for new filters.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Foam cannon + CR Spotless rinse system. Not only do you not have to dry but all the hidden areas that you can't get the hard water out of now will always look like new. I change the resin every quarter, used to buy a four pack of resin refills from Costco for $150, I don't that they sell it anymore. Someone once told me it is the same resin used in fish tanks (???), never looked into it.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Read this on an Amazon review - sounds logical to me...

DON'T USE AN OLD HOSE ON THIS UNIT!
The 10 year old garden hose I attached to the outlet, was so contaminated with minerals, that the deionized water
dissolved many of them on its way through the hose, and then redeposited the minerals on my black car. These spots we're so tenacious that I eventually had to have them buffed off, and my expensive ceramic coating reapplied.
Switching to a new hose, dedicated to this unit totally solved the problem of spots. Now I can rinse the car and walk away with no towel drying. When I come back, the car is beautiful!
Don't hesitate to buy this deionizing system, just don't use it until you get yourself a new water hose!
It should be common sense, but I didn't think of it, so I hope this review keeps someone else from making the same expensive mistake I did.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Read this on an Amazon review - sounds logical to me...

DON'T USE AN OLD HOSE ON THIS UNIT!
The 10 year old garden hose I attached to the outlet, was so contaminated with minerals, that the deionized water
dissolved many of them on its way through the hose, and then redeposited the minerals on my black car. These spots we're so tenacious that I eventually had to have them buffed off, and my expensive ceramic coating reapplied.
Switching to a new hose, dedicated to this unit totally solved the problem of spots. Now I can rinse the car and walk away with no towel drying. When I come back, the car is beautiful!
Don't hesitate to buy this deionizing system, just don't use it until you get yourself a new water hose!
It should be common sense, but I didn't think of it, so I hope this review keeps someone else from making the same expensive mistake I did.

Shit... I might have to buy a new pressure washer on this deal as well?

RD