WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carb Rebuild or Replace?

MCnParker

Reaction score
We have a Hallett 210 with a 350/5.7 that has run like a top since we got it. Went to fire it up a month ago and gas is coming out of the carb, Rochester 4MV. Pulled the carb off and brought it home, now to decide on rebuild or replace? Anyone on here have any recommendations? Places to go locally to have it rebuilt? Or replace? I am in the OC.

rrrr

Reaction score
I have a new one on the shelf if you're interested. The Mercruiser part number is correct for your engine. It's a real Merc part, painted black.

Puddemup

Reaction score
agreed, rebuilding one of those is no big deal. just get a rebuild kit and do it yourself, lots of info online.
Agreed! Carb kit...carb n choke cleaner (or dip)...small brass wire brush (for any dried gunkified varnished fuel).....bout 2 beers,.......done!

Puddemup

Reaction score
......might just b a sticky needle n seat...floodin the bowl....sometimes when fresh fuel hits it, it will free up.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I say rebuild it your self. super easy and lots of info out their. And if you can't get it done you still have the option of replacing it or sending it out.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
rebuild it any thing rebuilt aftermarket pretty much sux.

Ultra247

Reaction score
Never miss a chance for an upgrade! Put a Holley on it and a polished intake while you're at it! Should be good for a few more MPH!:D:D:D

Puddemup

Reaction score
Never miss a chance for an upgrade! Put a Holley on it and a polished intake while you're at it! Should be good for a few more MPH!:D:D:D
Carter!....I mean edelbrock...run easier out of the box

Puddemup

Reaction score
Yeah...polish is always good for a few mph!:)

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Do they still make chem dip, and if they do, does it work any more, years ago I rebuilt a few quadrojets, after the 24 hour soak, finished cleaning with a brush and my hands in that shit, my fingernails turns yellow and went flat.

Jetboatjosh

Reaction score
Do they still make chem dip, and if they do, does it work any more, years ago I rebuilt a few quadrojets, after the 24 hour soak, finished cleaning with a brush and my hands in that shit, my fingernails turns yellow and went flat.
Yeah they still sell it, I have a can in the garage. Used I last year worked pretty good

Puddemup

Reaction score
No, not as good as the stuff my Dad n I used years ago (80's n 90's)...but still works better than the spraycan stuff. The spraycan stuff works pretty good, but evaporates too fast......oh, and, the dip still stinkso_O

MCnParker

Reaction score
It looks like a rebuild is the plan, just wanted to see if there were better options and it appears there are not. My big issue is getting it done in the next 1.5 weeks before we go back to the river...Work getting in the way of life again....

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
No, not as good as the stuff my Dad n I used years ago (80's n 90's)...but still works better than the spraycan stuff. The spraycan stuff works pretty good, but evaporates too fast......oh, and, the dip still stinkso_O
The all blue can

Puddemup

Reaction score
Yeah they still sell it, I have a can in the garage. Used I last year worked pretty good
It looks like a rebuild is the plan, just wanted to see if there were better options and it appears there are not. My big issue is getting it done in the next 1.5 weeks before we go back to the river...Work getting in the way of life again....
Right on! Shouldn't take more than a saturday if you haven't done it before...just take your time...n don't loose any small parts;)

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Like said, get it rebuilt if possible. Make sure the two ports sealed with factory solder in the housing under the base plate are not leaking if it's running rich. Good carbs if maintained and setup properly.

If replaced i would get a 650 Edelbrock marine carb. Has an echoke and runs good out of the box.

Good luck,

OR

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
NO REBUILD FOR ME! Edelbrock 1409. Under $500. Bolt on, set idle, set mixture.
Will start like it's FI.
Check eBay or Summit Racing.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
If you decide not to do it your self Sean Murphy Induction in Huntington Beach does excellent work.

SMI, 17671 Metzler Lane, Huntington Beach, CA 92647 714-843-9169

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Advance carburetor in Santa Ana, sketching looking place put Diego knows his shit, has test engines and every carb. He has done for me was bolt on and go. He did 2 750’s double pumpers, for my Hondo, ran and idled perfect.
Just picked up a Weber he did for my Samurai.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Like said, get it rebuilt if possible. Make sure the two ports sealed with factory solder in the housing under the base plate are not leaking if it's running rich. Good carbs if maintained and setup properly.

If replaced i would get a 650 Edelbrock marine carb. Has an echoke and runs good out of the box.

Good luck,

OR

Edelbrock 1409 is the marine 650

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Quadra Toilets are actually really decent carbs, but they take some knowledge to set up correctly.

"Rebuilding" it is not what you are trying to do, gaskets and shit are an overhaul. Rebuild means shaft bushings etc, not something most people can do in your garage.

Throw a gasket set in it and clean it well, probably run like new. ;)

Make sure you use all the same springs.

DC-88

Reaction score
Quadra Toilets are actually really decent carbs, but they take some knowledge to set up correctly.

"Rebuilding" it is not what you are trying to do, gaskets and shit are an overhaul. Rebuild means shaft bushings etc, not something most people can do in your garage.

Throw a gasket set in it and clean it well, probably run like new. ;)

Make sure you use all the same springs.

I’m on the Holley dialed by Avery bandwagon too , but have one of the others on the family truckster that jammed us up on vacation a few years back . Took it off and dropped by old “Bud” in BHC , and he sang the praises in a complete lecture the whole time he worked his magic on it lol
IMG_0753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guest hs

Reaction score
Great carburetor use only Barryman carb dip or spray put new gaskets and a needle and seat in it paint it black dune deal!

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
John Avery @ Engine Dynamics Baldwin Park. He does 90% of the flat bottom race boat carbs (granted they’re holly) but his eyes light up when it comes to a Rochester Carb, and it’ll probably pick up performance when he’s done.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
I’m on the Holley dialed by Avery bandwagon too , but have one of the others on the family truckster that jammed us up on vacation a few years back . Took it off and dropped by old “Bud” in BHC , and he sang the praises in a complete lecture the whole time he worked his magic on it lol
View attachment 753837

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That work bench makes my stomach hurt. Really bad