WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carbon Kevlar vs regular fiberglass lay ups

Reaction score
Starting to shop around for boats new and used and wondering what the be if it’s are of a carbon Kevlar lay up vs regular fiberglass . The pros and cons . It seems to be a big price difference in a new build .

hallett21

Reaction score
From what I remember when done correctly Kevlar will be as strong as the fiberglass layup with a 15% weight savings.

Or if they weighed the same the Kevlar hull would be 15% “stronger/more rigid”

And yea it costs a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Starting to shop around for boats new and used and wondering what the be if it’s are of a carbon Kevlar lay up vs regular fiberglass . The pros and cons . It seems to be a big price difference in a new build .

Sometimes It can be window dressing actually adding weight to a standard layup.

Its super important when working with a builder you dont just check the box but actually get lamination options and computations that shows you your choices and tradeoffs.

You will typically get a 1,2,3 choice that will outline the weight AND strength (as well as the compromises) with each step.

Reactions: DWC

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
From what I remember when done correctly Kevlar will be as strong as the fiberglass layup with a 15% weight savings.

And yea it costs a lot.

iirc kevlar is very poor in compression strength, but great in abrasion and toughness.

The old spectra 20s that were carbon were like sponges in rough water, the whole boat would flex and mush through the water.

Very opposite to carbon which is extremely stiff.

hallett21

Reaction score
iirc kevlar is very poor in compression strength, but great in abrasion and toughness.

The old spectra 20s that were carbon were like sponges in rough water, the whole boat would flex and mush through the water.

Very opposite to carbon which is extremely stiff.

I can never keep it straight lol. Thanks for the correction. Is the weight savings accurate?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I can never keep it straight lol. Thanks for the correction. Is the weight savings accurate?

I'm by no means a glass expert, i think they may include kevlar along with glass as part of an overall lamination schedule to help add some qualities that are beneficial in specific areas.

If you wanna see some really badass home carbon fiber work check out Mike Patey's youtube channel where he is building this monster carbon cub aircraft from scratch. The material is big money when you start adding it up, but you don't really need much equipment investment to make some badass parts if you are thoughtful and crafty. The most expensive tool he uses when doing all these crazy complex shaped parts is a $100 vacuum pump.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

And yea it costs a lot.

my cafe racer is kevlar 88 layup in 1986, they only did a few that year that way and they were more of the top end rigged for racing etc, mercury racing #3 drives, big hawk 540 engines etc

I know Cig did a bunch of top guns in kevlar 88 as well, the top gun started in 1987

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Big issue is repairs... Carbon is MUCH more difficult to fix if you bash the boat off the dock.

Gelcoater

Reaction score