WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carburetor Cleaning - What works best

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Had the buggy out this weekend after sitting for quite some time. Fuel had been turned off, jets were all good, but still wouldn't run for crap. Carburetors are dual weber 44's. Carbs are off and rebuild kits ordered. What is the best way to get the internals cleaned?

I have tried the Gunk dip, ultrasonic and a few others. Have not been overly impressed with any.

Thanks in advance.

Mototrig

Reaction score
I soak everything in Apple cider vinegar for 30-40 minutes then spray everything with carb cleaner and compressed air. Works amazing

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
gallon of chemdip carb cleaner.

81lga3V7LjL._AC_SX355_.jpg

just throw the whole thing in there for a day or two. just be careful with the fumes that stuff is pretty toxic. i throw all kinds of parts in there and they come out super clean and a quick rinse in my parts washer.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’ve always used Chem-Dip.

You must not be in CA! We haven't had that stuff for ages.

I just used brake or carb cleaner spray. Best part about doing it that was is, when you inject it into a port, you can verify it's coming out the other end. This way you know for sure it's all cleaned out.

When we had chem dip, I would do the same thing with water after. You have to verify all the ports are clear somehow. Either way works.

👍

DLC

Reaction score
Drain fuel from tank and use Av gas with sea foam..

your jets are probably clogged, after you get it cleaned use some stabil in your fuel. Make sure to use a good filter or 2 filters one per carb And replace every trip.

wzuber

Reaction score
Kerosene works pretty good if you can leave them sit for a couple days, brake clean or spray carb cleaner after for passages etc.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
You must not be in CA! We haven't had that stuff for ages.

I just used brake or carb cleaner spray. Best part about doing it that was is, when you inject it into a port, you can verify it's coming out the other end. This way you know for sure it's all cleaned out.

When we had chem dip, I would do the same thing with water after. You have to verify all the ports are clear somehow. Either way works.

👍

I just moved out of CA last year. The last can of chem-dip I bought was at least 10 years ago. Turned it into hazardous waste facility before skipping out of CA. I’d blow all the holes with compressed air after the soak. The stuff smells terrible though -even with lid closed stored in the garage. I remember rebuilding carbs in college, then attend a class. Classmates would ask “what the hell is that smell man?” Lol

I’ve found the brake cleaner method works good on small engine carbs. Beats the terrible Chem-Dip smell!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Drain fuel from tank and use Av gas with sea foam..

your jets are probably clogged, after you get it cleaned use some stabil in your fuel. Make sure to use a good filter or 2 filters one per carb And replace every trip.

Why Sea Foam? Wouldn't a bottle (or two) of like Techron concentrate work better?

Reactions: DLC

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Sounds like I will be trying Chem-Dip. Just looked it up and it is available at Autozone.
Is there still a difference in the Ca version?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
"Startron" is in a blue bottle at Wallyworld and other places. It disolves the crystalline crap from the ethanol residue. I usually soak all small parts in a jar of that stuff, and the bodies in Chemdip. After that, bodies get sprayed with brake clean, then blown out.

Safety specs...remember the specs!

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Alrighty then. Anyone coming back to Kommiefornia through La Verne that might have some Chem Dip fall off the truck?

DLC

Reaction score
Why Sea Foam? Wouldn't a bottle (or two) of like Techron concentrate work better?

Ive had good luck with sea foam, I use it all the time and fairly cheap.

Techron would work also

Nordie

Reaction score
None of the chem dips are what they used to be. One can never forget that smell. Get a diagram and tear it apart and clean everything out. Carbs really aren't that difficult. A good rebuild kit and take your time. Also get rid of the bad gas.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Just go buy a few cans of brake cleaner. Easy easy.
That has the same issue, the ca compliant stuff (green can) is no where near as good as the other (red can). Fortunately I bought a case when out of state recently.....
Next time I am out of state I might need a can of the carb cleaner.

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Hears Ronnie..
haven't tried, but looks promising

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That has the same issue, the ca compliant stuff (green can) is no where near as good as the other (red can). Fortunately I bought a case when out of state recently.....
Next time I am out of state I might need a can of the carb cleaner.

Protip:. Spray electrical contact cleaner still has the old ingredient that made the old brakek cleaner bad azz!

It's a bit on the pricy side, but it gets the job done big time.

Im gonna guess because they don't sell nearly as much of it as brake cleaner, it gets a pass in CA.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
gallon of chemdip carb cleaner.

81lga3V7LjL._AC_SX355_.jpg

just throw the whole thing in there for a day or two. just be careful with the fumes that stuff is pretty toxic. i throw all kinds of parts in there and they come out super clean and a quick rinse in my parts washer.

Its not the same as it used to be :(

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Berryman, IMO it is just as important to let it soak for a couple days! as what chemical you use. A quick spray or soak for an hour does not work on badly gunked up carbs
I have had this for probably 10 years, brought it back from NV

Brings a whole new meaning to charging a buddy for a "dip"!
chem dip.jpg

OkHallett270

Reaction score
I second the Ultrasonic machine. I use Hornady gun parts cleaner and rinse with non chlorinated brake clean from Advanced Auto Parts. I love that stuff as far as brake cleaner goes it’s my favorite.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Berryman, IMO it is just as important to let it soak for a couple days! as what chemical you use. A quick spray or soak for an hour does not work on badly gunked up carbs
I have had this for probably 10 years, brought it back from NV

Brings a whole new meaning to charging a buddy for a "dip"!
View attachment 980410

Ten years old?

When that stuff is new, and you leave a carb in it for more than an hour, it will remove the anodizing.

After two days, the carb might be gone!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Ten years old?

When that stuff is new, and you leave a carb in it for more than an hour, it will remove the anodizing.

Thats why the lid has the two concrete paverstones on it so the seal stays in tact. It is some good ole nasty s**t!

rrrr

Reaction score
Ten years old?

I quit using it because the stuff stripped off the cadmium plating on 4150s. Nasty stuff!