WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carli Lloyd, 55yd field goal with ease.

ultrajet

Reaction score
It's really not that uncommon. They may not carry 2 for an entire season but again, not uncommon. I can't remember who it was, (I wana say Janikowski?) but there was a high profile kicker last year that didn't kickoff, only did field goals.

Place a 3rd string lineman on the practice squad to keep a huge PR move for a season.... Yeah, they will easily do that if she can perform at all.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Contemporary kickers at the college level and above have absolute cannons for legs . Routinely drill 60-70 yard kicks in practice . Back in 1994 when the men’s World Cup was in LA a bunch of the guys were given tryouts at NFL camps . The only guy that was even close was Tony Meola who scored a Kansas City Chiefs contract. During the pre season his kickoffs never made it much passed the 10 yard line . He was cut fairly quickly .

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
It's really not that uncommon. They may not carry 2 for an entire season but again, not uncommon. I can't remember who it was, (I wana say Janikowski?) but there was a high profile kicker last year that didn't kickoff, only did field goals.

Place a 3rd string lineman on the practice squad to keep a huge PR move for a season.... Yeah, they will easily do that if she can perform at all.

The only instances of what you're saying in the NFL that I recall, is a punter who can kickoff. Spots are too valuable to waste on a guy that can't play vital spots. I often wonder how they keep a long snapper. But that's how refined special teams have become.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Contemporary kickers at the college level and above have absolute cannons for legs . Routinely drill 60-70 yard kicks in practice . Back in 1994 when the men’s World Cup was in LA a bunch of the guys were given tryouts at NFL camps . The only guy that was even close was Tony Meola who scored a Kansas City Chiefs contract. During the pre season his kickoffs never made it much passed the 10 yard line . He was cut fairly quickly .
I mentioned Jan Stenerud earlier. When he was signed by the Chiefs, it was ungodly how strong a leg he possessed. Big tall lean guy around 6'3". I always figured him to beat Tom Dempsey's 63 yard record, but he never did and got few chances. Coaches don't want to risk field position for 3 points it seems. Most of the long attempts come at the end of halves with no time left.

I agree on soccer players for the most part not having the range of average college/pro kickers. Really a different technique required

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score

I was responding to the idea that NFL teams might keep a second kicker on the roster purely for PR purposes. I think we will agree to disagree on this one. :)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The only instances of what you're saying in the NFL that I recall, is a punter who can kickoff. Spots are too valuable to waste on a guy that can't play vital spots. I often wonder how they keep a long snapper. But that's how refined special teams have become.
I wish I could remember precisely which team and kicker so I could share but I was very surprised they had 3 distinct kickers on the active roster and used all 3 (kickoff, punt, and field goal).
I was responding to the idea that NFL teams might keep a second kicker on the roster purely for PR purposes. I think we will agree to disagree on this one. :)
With the image problem so much of the league is having and how more and more of the teams are allowing business interest to take a little more precedent in the team operations decisions. But, we shall agree to disagree and wait to see what happens.

Honestly, I doubt that she'll be able to kick well enough and long enough to make any team.