WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CarMax in Irvine

PokerRun388

Reaction score
I got an appraisal offer on my car Saturday at CarMax in Irvine & their offer was surprisingly high, IMO. It’s within 1k of what I paid for my car back in November.....

Their offer is good for 7 days & has me thinking to turn it in at the end of this work week & move along into something else, while the appraisal offer still stands.

What’s crazy is when I did their online appraisal offer 3 weeks ago it was 2k less than their most recent offer....

Has anyone done this recently through CarMax?

Say what you want about them but they’re about as convenient as it gets...

7-day appraisal offers

24/hr test drives

30 day or 1500 mile returns

My goodness, you don’t see the other major dealerships doing this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WYRD

Reaction score
Did you have to make an appointment for the appraisal?

Bear Down

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of them... I've purchased 3 cars from them and by far the easiest finance experience for a car purchase, but also was during the time of not having all these online options. My past 2 car purchases have been through a dealership and I used Car Gurus app. to search for specific vehicles. My last purchase in 2020 was going to be through CarMax, but a CPO purchase at a Mazda dealership came in for the win, but not by much... it was a sellers market when we were buying. I just love the variety of cars on the lot and you can get such a great scope of options/models in 1 spot. Never traded in a car there, but got several appraisals where I just shop it to the dealership where I purchased my cars.

WYRD

Reaction score
Yes sir. I called Friday night & made an appointment for Saturday at 11am. I had a dentist appointment & showed up at 10:30am & they were super cool about it. They were busy so it took about an hour or so, but they handed me their offer & told me they’d honor it until the end of the business day 05/08/21.

Thanks, I wonder if the new car chip shortage is driving the cost of used cars up? Never used them but I think I will give them a shot too. 👍

badgas

Reaction score
I have sold them cars in the past when I didn't have time to do a private party deal and yes it is an easy process. You will make more on private party deal if you are in the mood. Whn buying, Carmax used car prices are higher than other dealers and way higher than private party. If you don't mind the model of paying more for a used from a dealer then they are good.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I got an appraisal offer on my car Saturday at CarMax in Irvine & their offer was surprisingly high, IMO. It’s within 1k of what I paid for my car back in November.....

Their offer is good for 7 days & has me thinking to turn it in at the end of this work week & move along into something else, while the appraisal offer still stands.

What’s crazy is when I did their online appraisal offer 3 weeks ago it was 2k less than their most recent offer....

7-day appraisal offers

24/hr test drives

If carmax gave you a great offer do a test offer with carvana as well, they offered me a over 1k more than carmax did on a car I sold them last year. Can't hurt all online. GLWS.

FishSniper

Reaction score

7-day appraisal offers

24/hr test drives

I’ve used car max in the past and been happy but recently had a friend get offers through Carmax and that new company Carvana. Carvana offered about 2500 more then Carmax so may be worth it to get an offer from them also.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
My son bought a 2014 Ram Truck from a Ford dealer in Chino Hills last year, Carmax offered him 4k more than he paid for it and Carvana offered him 5k more. I find it hard to believe that he made profit on a used truck after owning it a year but Carvana picked up the truck on Sunday and gave him the check. They never even looked at the truck in person.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I just tried carmax to purchase a 2500hd last week.
Impossible unless I wanted to pay for a transfer from Mississippi.
every HD they had was sold. We went to the Fresno lot and it was mobbed. Had to fight for a parking place. Nothing but a few half tons. The truck market is fucking crazy.
I found the new used truck at pacific in chowchilla.
Then I sold the old one (a 2005 Silverado Z71), for $9000 in three hours I paid $10,000 for that truck eight years ago.
crazy indeed!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My son bought a 2014 Ram Truck from a Ford dealer in Chino Hills last year, Carmax offered him 4k more than he paid for it and Carvana offered him 5k more. I find it hard to believe that he made profit on a used truck after owning it a year but Carvana picked up the truck on Sunday and gave him the check. They never even looked at the truck in person.
Does carvana have physical locations or all on line?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Try CL for 5k more or if buying new offer to dealer for more. I went to Carmax no appointment took about 20 minutes to get a offer. Dealer gave me 4k more than there offer. Paid 37k plus fees new drove for 3 years dealer bought it for 35k and sold it in a week for more than I paid new. Shopping yesterday for a 1/2 ton reg cab long bed. They are more used than new but I would have to order and wait. Market is crazy.

Good to see you posting.

Reactions: DWC

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Tried Carmax to purchase my car. The appraisal was surprisingly acceptable

Then tried Caravana, $1,800 increase over Carmax

Started an online appraisal but put it off a few days. When I started again the appraisal increased about 200-300 each time I appraised online.

Ended up Caravana bought it last month... Picked it up and handed me a check, just like the commercial..

Couple of days After Caravana picked up my car, I foolishly entered the vehicle information just for S&G and it increased 900!!!.. Damn.... should have waited another week

All in all an easy process... took a week to complete

Both appraisals increased by a couple hundies day by day ...

Seems the used market is jumping due to low inventory on cars

dribble

Reaction score
Jumping is an understatement. We’re fighting with insurance company over what they’re going to pay to replace our Jag. We’re are currently in Las Vegas picking up our new Certified Pre-Owned XF. We’re paying good money but it is an original owner trade In with 20K miles. They would only come down $600.00. Ours was a 2016. There is one 2016 CPO XF for sale in the country and they’re asking 5K over our offer from Mercury. I told them they need to up the offer.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
As a former new car dealer, all I can say is I'm super glad not to be in that biz anymore.
The convenience CarMax, Carvana and others like it offer is worth a few extra dollars for that used car you want.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Try givemethevin.com

They were much higher than carmax and carvana on my Dads Dodge Challenger.
I have been thinking about selling my Challenger and went to givemethenvin.com and according to the quote, it's about what I paid for the car new. So I guess I basically rented the car for 3 years for less than a $800 a year. :cool:

Taboma

Reaction score
Chicken shortage be damned, wife and I drove past Quality Chevrolet's lot in Escondido yesterday and by all appearances, you'd have sworn a tornado had swept the lot clear of cars, or one massive Repo had occurred. :oops:

They had a couple each of only TWO new models, Bolts and Trax, and barely a used car to be seen.
Since I'd planned to schedule a service for my Camaro, I called this morning and yes, despite the complete lack of inventory, they're still in business but damn, I bet the sales folks are mighty hungry.
So certainly based on the general rules of supply and demand, prices should be soaring --- BUT, based on the rules of starvation, you'd think they'd do anything to sell something at all.

Given that, I'm guessing Carmax has lines like In and Out Burger joints.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Try Carvana...my neighbor got considerably more from them than Carmax. I am a Car max fan, as well.

NicPaus

Reaction score
As a former new car dealer, all I can say is I'm super glad not to be in that biz anymore.
The convenience CarMax, Carvana and others like it offer is worth a few extra dollars for that used car you want.
Carvana is priced higher than new on trucks that are a few years old with 40-50k miles on them. Carmax right behind them. Imagine they target people with shitty credit. Only place higher is local used lots on PCH here. I worked on the owners new house build and that's there specialty. Sell them for top dollar with high interest rates to people who can't afford them then repo them and sell again. I checked there inventory yesterday and 65k for used half tons with a cheap lift rims and tires. It works there house currently probably worth 8-10 million. It was a 3 million dollar build 10 years ago and the lot was 2 million.

707dog

Reaction score
Chicken shortage be damned, wife and I drove past Quality Chevrolet's lot in Escondido yesterday and by all appearances, you'd have sworn a tornado had swept the lot clear of cars, or one massive Repo had occurred. :oops:

They had a couple each of only TWO new models, Bolts and Trax, and barely a used car to be seen.
Since I'd planned to schedule a service for my Camaro, I called this morning and yes, despite the complete lack of inventory, they're still in business but damn, I bet the sales folks are mighty hungry.
So certainly based on the general rules of supply and demand, prices should be soaring --- BUT, based on the rules of starvation, you'd think they'd do anything to sell something at all.

Given that, I'm guessing Carmax has lines like In and Out Burger joints.
drove past team Chevrolet in Vallejo yesterday same thing counted 3 trucks and 3 suv's all the rest were cars and all were spaced out to look full anything thing past the first 2 rows was open asphalt with a car sprinkled in to look like something.

sold my escalade to car max in january got what i was going to put in on CL for but 500 less than caravan, very easy transition cut the check on the spot. one morning headed to work seen my caddy on a shipper trailer headed out.

HitIt

Reaction score
Where is a reliable place to check price for private party sales on older(ish) vehicles these days that is actually up to date? I have a 2003 Silverado 1500 that I am thinking about selling due to the high used vehicle prices and it feels like kbb is lagging.

Taboma

Reaction score
Where is a reliable place to check price for private party sales on older(ish) vehicles these days that is actually up to date? I have a 2003 Silverado 1500 that I am thinking about selling due to the high used vehicle prices and it feels like kbb is lagging.

Damn good question. As an example, been checking the Autotrader for C8 Vette pricing. I see both lots and PP jacking these things $ 30K over new MSRP and they've got anywhere from 100 to 7K miles on them. Even 1LT's are being "Adjusted" that much. Then I check Bob Stall here in San Diego area and brand new 21's with 2LT or 1LT are being marked up "Only" $10K.
Obviously supply and demand is a real thing, but are people really paying $ 30K over for a used car when they could maybe wait a few weeks and get a brand new one for $ 20K less ?

I'd take it to Car Max or a local dealer and start there, forget any "Books" right now.

DLC

Reaction score
My dad had a F150 king ranch with 248,000 miles and they quoted $6,500.... we let it go! C-ya !

Not worth trying to deal with cash offers and get low balled and how many miles....etc

HitIt

Reaction score
My dad had a F150 king ranch with 248,000 miles and they quoted $6,500.... we let it go! C-ya !

Not worth trying to deal with cash offers and get low balled and how many miles....etc
What year? Carmax?

Reactions: DLC

attitude

Reaction score
I actually did try CL for 60 days & paid the $5 each time & got nothing. A few kids offered me 16k & a couple of scammers.

I wasn’t far off on the price either... had it listed for 22k. CarMax appraised it for 21k so that’s good enough for me + they’ll take care of the smog & title = worry free on my end...

In all fairness to CL, it is a Focus ST & a manual, so that eliminates most buyers & isn’t the best commuter...I’m just gonna sell it to buy a Focus RS.

Here’s the car.....

View attachment 998611

Kids love STs, I’m surprised it didn’t sell. My buddy bought one brand new in 2015 for 21k, prices are going crazy and I’m sure it helps that they don’t make them anymore.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I actually did try CL for 60 days & paid the $5 each time & got nothing. A few kids offered me 16k & a couple of scammers.

I wasn’t far off on the price either... had it listed for 22k. CarMax appraised it for 21k so that’s good enough for me + they’ll take care of the smog & title = worry free on my end...

In all fairness to CL, it is a Focus ST & a manual, so that eliminates most buyers & isn’t the best commuter...I’m just gonna sell it to buy a Focus RS.

Here’s the car.....

View attachment 998611

Nice, that RS is badass. Lot of mods from Europe if you keep it past the warranty.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Had two great experiences unloading at Carmax..... just got a bit tired of the CL thing so went easy route .... I guess I might have left a few $ on table but was happy with the user experience.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Sold two cars with Carmax and bought one. All three great experiences. Carmax does buy older high mileage cars and trucks. They just don't sell them on the lots, they take them to auctions.

DLC

Reaction score
the F150 was 8-10 years old and the car Max in Escondido.

I was actually kinda shocked at the about, we have a dirt lot in the corner of our street and we call it the car lot, if you set a for sale down there it will go!
once people found out the mileage they low balled $3500, one guy said $2763! The inside was cherry condition!

What year? Carmax?

attitude

Reaction score
The younger crowd loves them because they don’t have much money & the ST is 13-15k less vs. an RS & much cheaper to insure.

There’s nothing wrong with the ST, however the front-wheel drive turbo sucks & it wants to go sideways at the slightest touch of boost. It’s also not nearly as fast as I assumed it would be & somewhat of a dog from a dig in 1st, however it does pull hard from 3rd to 4th.

The RS is a different animal & it’s not for everyone, however I think I can tolerate the bolstered seats because I’m moving much closer to work by the end of the month & also won’t be concerned about MPGs.

The RS2 pkg. is the only why to go though with the power drivers seat. My ST has no power seat & that might seem like not a big deal, but trying to find that sweet spot with the clutch & brake isn’t always easy with a manual seat lever & it drives me nuts lol

The STs are fun cars and can be very capable with mods. My buddy who I mentioned above went through two big turbos and was making north of 430whp on methanol before he sold it but traction and torque steer were big issues. People seem to enjoy the RS, the price was always the big factor as you could get a 5.0 for cheaper.

Times Like These

Reaction score
I’m going to take a 2011 CTS-V Coupe in pristine condition with 60,000 miles on it to Carmax. Just sits in the garage these days. I wonder what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jadenchick

Reaction score
I’m taking in our Mercedes CLA in the morning. It’s off lease in 2 days. We never drive it, it’s a 3rd vehicle for us; only has 12,900 miles on it. I got an offer from Carvana and unless CarMax can beat it, I’m selling it to them.

kevin1988

Reaction score
I sold my 2019 F150 Lariat to Carmax last Thursday for $39200. Had 38k miles. 5 months ago they offered $32k when it had 31k miles. Vroom offered me $40,200 but I read on the 150 groups that vroom will ship it to Houston then low ball you, and if you want it back it's on your dime. Carvanna offered $37k

Took about an hour at Carmax and I walked away with a check for the difference of what I owed and what they paid. Received notice today that my Ford loan has been paid off.

I went with Carmax based on it's a known company that I won't get fucked with. I never heard of Vroom until 2 weeks ago.

Vroom offered my dad $69k for his 2017 F250 Platinum with 26k miles.

He paid $79k otd with extended warranty 4 fucking years ago.

WYRD

Reaction score
I sold my 2019 F150 Lariat to Carmax last Thursday for $39200. Had 38k miles. 5 months ago they offered $32k when it had 31k miles. Vroom offered me $40,200 but I read on the 150 groups that vroom will ship it to Houston then low ball you, and if you want it back it's on your dime. Carvanna offered $37k

Took about an hour at Carmax and I walked away with a check for the difference of what I owed and what they paid. Received notice today that my Ford loan has been paid off.

I went with Carmax based on it's a known company that I won't get fucked with. I never heard of Vroom until 2 weeks ago.

Vroom offered my dad $69k for his 2017 F250 Platinum with 26k miles.

He paid $79k otd with extended warranty 4 fucking years ago.
Sounds like vroom my just be a Marty Byrd enterprise doesn't seem like it can make a whole lot of profit at those prices

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Just listen to givemethevin owner John Clay Wolfe yesterday. He said and I quote "we will pay more for your vehicle now than ever before, we will beat any other offer". This was Saturday's poscast,

On air on Saturday he beat a carmax or carrvana can't remember which by $1800.

They bought my rv 2 weeks ago. Was 10 k more than the other wholesaler. I am not affiliated with them at all. I just like their radio program. They are on Saturday morning on KLOS.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I sold my Dads Dodge Challenger to them and they were $7K more than carmax and carvana.

Carmax and carvana were only offering $18K for a 2018 Challenger with 4K miles and givemethevin.com gave me $25K

Just listen to givemethevin owner John Clay Wolfe yesterday. He said and I quote "we will pay more for your vehicle now than ever before, we will beat any other offer". This was Saturday's poscast,

On air on Saturday he beat a carmax or carrvana can't remember which by $1800.

They bought my rv 2 weeks ago. Was 10 k more than the other wholesaler. I am not affiliated with them at all. I just like their radio program. They are on Saturday morning on KLOS.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I sold a 2015 Caddy ATS to Car Max, I was there dropping off a friend who had bought a car through them, while we were waiting, they started to ask me about my ATS. I wasn't really planning on selling it, but entertained their idea of an appraisal. I was surprised with the number they came back with, and sold it on the spot. It was much higher than what they were selling for used locally. I've heard that same story from a few folks.

DWC

Reaction score
Try givemethevin.com

They were much higher than carmax and carvana on my Dads Dodge Challenger.
Interesting,I got a trade in offer from a dealer on my Silverado. They seemed a little low so i submitted to givemethevin.. Their response was “how much are you looking for?” Surprised me just a bit.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Yes, that is a weird response. I filled out all the information on their website and that was it. They came back with an offer. I me them at my Dad's house the next day and they handed me a check and took the car.

Interesting,I got a trade in offer from a dealer on my Silverado. They seemed a little low so i submitted to givemethevin.. Their response was “how much are you looking for?” Surprised me just a bit.

Reactions: DWC

locogringo

Yo Mama
Reaction score
Never thought I’d sell a car through online source, but gave Carvana and CarMax a try. Appraisal from Carvana came in $3,000 MORE than CarMax and about $5k less than I bought it for used 4 years ago.

So, decided to give it a try and sell one of my daily commuters: 2016 Challenger Scat Pack, super clean, just at 78,000 miles and they looked it over really quick, said “we can tell you take care of it, didn’t look under the hood or much more. Signed a few papers and had the money deposited into my savings account before I had even left the lot.

I’d definitely do it again, especially when you get more than what I could sell it private for.

Last edited: