WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CARMAX WARRANTY QUESTION

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with it? On paper it seems like a no brainer, $1k for warranty to 100k miles with $100 deductible. Car is a 2017 Toyota Corolla with 24k miles currently.

Most of these warranties cover basically nothing. Their speech and propaganda indicates theirs covers damn near everything. Seems too good to be true. Anyone used their warranty to have repairs done?

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
For now it should still be covered under the manufacturers factory warranty until 36 months or 36K miles.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
For now it should still be covered under the manufacturers factory warranty until 36 months or 36K miles.

It was purchased 12/19/16 so the bumper to bumper 3/36 is expired. It still has some of the 5/60 powertrain remaining.

The car is for my daughter, I need it to get her through the next 5 years of college without costing her a fortune in repairs.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
ya this ^

with that millage and make youll never use it
give it to her for book money

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with it? On paper it seems like a no brainer, $1k for warranty to 100k miles with $100 deductible. Car is a 2017 Toyota Corolla with 24k miles currently.

Most of these warranties cover basically nothing. Their speech and propaganda indicates theirs covers damn near everything. Seems too good to be true. Anyone used their warranty to have repairs done?

Fuck Carmax...

Buy a CPO car from the Toyota Dealer. It will include a REAL 100k warranty that will be valid at any Toyota dealership.

Aftermarket warranties almost always suck azz. :thumbdown:

zhandfull

Reaction score
Looking for my daughter as well. Hertz seems to have about the best prices on the car model I'm looking for. They include a 12 month /12,000 mile warranty for all their cars no extra charge.

upload_2020-1-17_14-23-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-17_14-21-15.png
    upload_2020-1-17_14-21-15.png
    953 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thankfully still covered under the powertrain warranty

It was purchased 12/19/16 so the bumper to bumper 3/36 is expired. It still has some of the 5/60 powertrain remaining.

The car is for my daughter, I need it to get her through the next 5 years of college without costing her a fortune in repairs.

I bought my CT200 CPO and it came with a 100K mile warranty

Fuck Carmax...

Buy a CPO car from the Toyota Dealer. It will include a REAL 100k warranty that will be valid at any Toyota dealership.

This

Being a Toyota, I would save the $1,000 and make sure the car gets the recommended scheduled maintenance and you shouldn't have any issues with it. Just my .02.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of ex rental purchases unless it’s a tool from Home Depot that won’t be used everyday.
Company I work for changed pool car vehicle sell off criteria from 60,000 miles to 100,000 miles once we were assigned our own vehicles.
At 60 k miles with multiple drivers they felt and drove like they had 100k on them.
and they were not likely ever puked in or worse.

hope this helps in choices you make

4Waters

Reaction score
Since it's still under the 50k powertrain warranty you can go to the dealership and get a factory extended powertrain warranty, then you know it's all covered.

KenM

Reaction score
Fuck Carmax...

He is 100% correct!
I work at a dealership the aftermarket warranty sucks especially CarMax!. But if you already bought the warranty you're stuck with it.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
It’s a double edged sword. I would not by a used rental...they are only maintained to a level appropriate to get keep them alive for a couple years until sold.

On lower end cars, remember that people buy them because they’re cheap...and those people likely can’t afford a more expensive car...or very often, the costs to maintain any car, which is why it got traded in. I’d get a warranty...car max is probably pretty good, the dealer CPO would be best.

I only buy used cars private party...for the simple reason that in talking to the owner, I’ll have a much better idea of the vehicle history.

Most used cars at dealers are bought at auction and nobody knows the history.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
It’s a double edged sword. I would not by a used rental...they are only maintained to a level appropriate to get keep them alive for a couple years until sold.

On lower end cars, remember that people buy them because they’re cheap...and those people likely can’t afford a more expensive car...or very often, the costs to maintain any car, which is why it got traded in. I’d get a warranty...car max is probably pretty good, the dealer CPO would be best.

I only buy used cars private party...for the simple reason that in talking to the owner, I’ll have a much better idea of the vehicle history.

Most used cars at dealers are bought at auction and nobody knows the history.

Or Cares!

zhandfull

Reaction score
Interesting take on the rental cars.

The rental companies buy direct from the manufacture at a reduced cost and actually make money on renting the cars out. Most that I have seen have between 40,000 and 80,000 miles on them and are typically a step up from a base model. Seems like if you can live with a small dent or scratch here or there, I can't imagine that one of these cars wouldn't last another 5 years or another 100,000 miles trouble free. I think just from a liability stand point the maintenance would also be in line with manufacture and D.O.T standards.

Now on the other hand, most CPO's are probably lease returns where the customers know they are not keeping the car and probably doesn't give a shit about them because they get a new car every 2 or 3 years. Every used car I have bought from a dealer has a nearly a perfect Carfax, not sure I put a lot of faith in those reports.

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
I purchased a certified Kia Sportage so it gets 100K powertrain and 50k everything else with a $50 deductible from Kia.

Reactions: TPC

Xring01

Reaction score
About 2 years ago, Bought my wife a used Lexus GX460 SUV... 2014 model with 42,000 miles when we bought it.
I gambled on the $1000, warranty.

We got our moneys worth big time...

First thing that went wrong was the stupid car alarm.... it would randomly just go off, for no effing reason.
Carmax couldnt fix it, sent us to Lexus... who changed out most of the electronics which would have cost us thousands...

Second time a check engine light came on, was something stupid... like a loose hose clamp on the air intake system.

Carmax sent us back to Lexus..., they fixed the air intake system, then they replaced all the shocks (which in my opinion didnt need it), and a boatload of other stuff.. Seriously, these are high end air shocks that cost alot... they replaced all 4 shocks.. car road perfectly before we dropped it of ? They replaced other stuff also. Washed the car, detailed, vacuumed it... gave it back to us like it was brand new.

Honestly, I think we have receipt for $6000, worth of repairs, all performed my Lexus... and didnt cost us a dime.

I know this is not your typical experience... When Lexus gets a car back... they just start replacing shit, whether it needs it or not.

I am sure its part of there profit center... But as the customer, I am pretty happy with the Carmax warranty.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score

The rental companies buy direct from the manufacture at a reduced cost and actually make money on renting the cars out. Most that I have seen have between 40,000 and 80,000 miles on them and are typically a step up from a base model. Seems like if you can live with a small dent or scratch here or there, I can't imagine that one of these cars wouldn't last another 5 years or another 100,000 miles trouble free. I think just from a liability stand point the maintenance would also be in line with manufacture and D.O.T standards.

Now on the other hand, most CPO's are probably lease returns where the customers know they are not keeping the car and probably doesn't give a shit about them because they get a new car every 2 or 3 years. Every used car I have bought from a dealer has a nearly a perfect Carfax, not sure I put a lot of faith in those reports.

Modern engines typically have very specific oil requirements, with the low tension rings and cylinder finish technology we have today (among other things)...Most vehicles will run for 50K miles or so just fine with shit bulk 5W30, but won't have the longevity that it would have had the proper fluids been used. I spoke with a rental company service coordinator several years ago and at that time they said they changed the oil in all their vehicles around the 15K mile mark using the lowest cost oil change outfits nearby. Many modern engines will be burning oil and creating sludge with these types of service intervals using low quality oils. Not a chance I'm willing to take on a relatively large purchase.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

For sure.

Here’s the thing with major “name brand” two fleets (Avis, Enterprise etc):

Their business model is buy low, exactly as you mention.

They dispose of cars:
a) when they’re in the black on value vs rental receipts
b) before the first major/expensive service (like tires)

Because they buy so low, selling the cars is generally their #1 profit center, more so than rental income.

Tracking rental sales also is a leading indicator of the general heath of the auto industry.

When rental fleets retain cars longer, it’s indicative of a slowing new-automobile market.

And when rents fleets turn over their cars quicker, it’s indicative of a robust new-automobile market.

Like clockwork, when analysts see slower rental-fleet turnover, they adjust their sales projections downward. And the opposite when turnover is quick.

I find it fascinating how rental fleets are indicative to all of this [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ol Man

Reaction score
Our experience with the CarMax warranty was exceptional. We bought a used Mini Cooper S Convertible a few years back. Mini's are not known to be the most trouble-free cars on the road, but my wife likes a small, fast convertible, with a stick shift.....and she needed a rear seat for grand kids. Her previous car was a BMW Z3. We had a few issues. The warranty allows you to go to a manufacturer dealer for repairs (I think for $50 more than a CarMax place.....no brainer). We never had an issue and the insurance has paid out more than our premium. The warranty is out in a few weeks and we have been looking for a newer one, but I guess no one knows how to drive sticks. The car has no issues, so we will probably just keep it and pay out of pocket.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Here is a funny carmax warranty story

Here it is at rhe end of rhe warranty

Last edited: