WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carnival rides

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Saw this pic on FB and made me wonder:
Am I the only one who didn’t realize until now that we entrusted minimum wage earning tweakers with our lives?
One frayed cable or missed clevis pin and shit could’ve gone bad real fast. 😳
8B15E777-0A63-409C-8D0E-18F364C073B7.jpeg

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles 30 years ago, I got on one similar to the one Napanutt posted but it barrelrolled constantly unless you had the strength to keep it (by "it" I mean your body weight) on a centerline using only your arms on the steering wheel. We didn't know this when I got on with my wife's niece who was about 4'5" tall and skinny as a toothpick. The entire time we were being thrown about the cage because I trying to hold her in her seat so she doesn't literally fly about the cage, while trying to hold the thing level with one arm. Quickly I just gave up and wrapper her up in my arms just to protect her the only way I could. Nobody could hear us screaming or see us because we were moving so quickly. I had bruises from head to toe for a long time from getting thrown around inside that thing and I don't think Nika got on any more carnival rides until she was an adult. Truly terrifying.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
At least on that ride you’re in a cage. This is the one that I always thought oh hell no I’m not getting on that tweekers ride.
View attachment 989065
Went on one of those for the first time a year or so ago...teen daughter wanted to go. Now, I've climbed some towers, worked on some highrise stuff, even stepped out on ledges to seal drain overflows 5ft bellow the parapet wall. Heights don't bother me at all.
I was a scared little bitch on that swing deal. Pretty sure I saw Jesus, and he was laughing.
Apparently 10-15 stories of decaying concrete is much better than 2 stories of tweaker assembled trailer:oops:

4Waters

Reaction score
I've never ridden a carnival ride, ever. It never made sense to me how something can be safe after it's put up in an hour or less.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles 30 years ago, I got on one similar to the one Napanutt posted but it barrelrolled constantly unless you had the strength to keep it (by "it" I mean your body weight) on a centerline using only your arms on the steering wheel. We didn't know this when I got on with my wife's niece who was about 4'5" tall and skinny as a toothpick. The entire time we were being thrown about the cage because I trying to hold her in her seat so she doesn't literally fly about the cage, while trying to hold the thing level with one arm. Quickly I just gave up and wrapper her up in my arms just to protect her the only way I could. Nobody could hear us screaming or see us because we were moving so quickly. I had bruises from head to toe for a long time from getting thrown around inside that thing and I don't think Nika got on any more carnival rides until she was an adult. Truly terrifying.
I know the ride, the only one I ever puked on.🤢🤮

DWC

Reaction score
Rode the famous Octopus ride with my mom over 40years ago. The bar closed but not enough to hold me in place. When it got up to full speed i slipped down, the momentum pinched her to one side which proceeded to put us in a vicious series of 360’s. Not sure if which one of us was screaming louder
15F74B05-8861-4CF6-AB45-73E3D6433465.jpeg

riverroyal

Reaction score
Del mar fair is on this summer. No rides! It's going to be a great fair! Really.....ride area brings the scumbags every year

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
When my pops was younger, he got a job putting those rides together when the canvival came to town. After that story, I’ll never get on another carnival ride.

Reactions: DWC

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Never worried about it at all. I knew at a VERY young age "ain't no fucking way I'm getting on that shit"!!!!! To this day "It's a small world" is my max!!

76sanger

Reaction score
This cracks me up, me and the wife at age 52 now, ride the rides every year since we were about 20 or so at our fair or wherever we might be during the summer. They make us laugh our asses off and help expel the "best damn greasy food that money can buy later in the evening." there's always a chance that something can go wrong sure, but there's a chance every day that we could get mangled up or die from something else as well. Live life and enjoy it to the utmost.

Nordie

Reaction score
I was working at the amusement park at Circus Circus, they were removing the water ride and putting in that new El Loco roller coaster. Anyhow we could only be in there at nights obviously. Long story short they keep 2 ironworkers on staff to weld the other roller coaster in there every single night. They said throughout the day it cracks every single day. Then they have an inspector come in and do all of the weld tests before the park opens.

That was it for me.

BingerFang

Reaction score
My Dad has a machine shop in SoCal and he had one client that would bring his carnival shit in when it needed to be fixed. When I was working with my dad, he would point out how everything is just band-aided on those and why I should never ride one.

Do I still go on them every year at the OC Fair? Yep!

C-2

Reaction score
One time at bandcamp my friend and I hooked up with these chicks and their pops owned a carnival. My friend went on to marry her, and for many years he became a "carnie." His FIL's luck ran out in Texas when a ride failed and it killed a 15-year old teenage girl. He got 2-years prison out of it.

But yes, they are a traveling band of Gypsy-like tweakers and low-level criminal that are usually running from something....

kurtis500

Reaction score
I went to one of those fly-by-night amusement parks in the early 90's and the ferris whell broke down with me at the top. I sat there for over an hour while my friends and everyone else passing by laughed. learned my lesson

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Got conned into going to the top of some place in Vegas (Stupackss I think) a few years back where the "ride" was some swirling whirly gig thing that swung out over the fkin building (already 100 feet up ............could not make it to the down elevator fast enough ...rather take my chances in my blown jet with hands on the wheel and control over the pedals and levers ....

ford 4x429

Reaction score
At least on that ride you’re in a cage. This is the one that I always thought oh hell no I’m not getting on that tweekers ride.
View attachment 989065
Was on one of these things ...a young father was on in front of me his young 5-6 year old on swing beside him was sliding out the back .this unit had two rows of swings per anchor point he was able to swing sideways while we were in motion and caught the child's hood we went around about five times before the clown noticed what was happening... ride came to a stop and kid fell to the ground landing on feet because dad had the hoodie... fuckin scary shit when you can do absolutely nothing to help... never rode that ride again...kid was just too small for the seat...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So who's up to ride the coaster atop the Vegas Stratosphere hotel that "stops" as it takes you over the edge of the building?

That's a hell fukking NO for me😳😭

wallnutz

Reaction score
So who's up to ride the coaster atop the Vegas Stratosphere hotel that "stops" as it takes you over the edge of the building?

That's a hell fukking NO for me😳😭
Done it! And it was windy.