WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carrera sst/ merc 200 xri

Bunger

Reaction score
Got the thing out for a shake down at Elsinore today. Have a few questions.first is there a trim limiter on this thing? Just when I started to pack a bit of air the trim limited out. There's a wedge between the jack plate and motor bracket that angles the motor down more. I think if I yanked that I'd get a few more degrees of trim out of it. Second, how reliable are the killswitches? Boat ran great all day until I stopped in the middle of the lake to check fuel. Shut it off and went to start it again and it cranked and cranked without firing. Messed around with it for 15 minutes then started messin with the killswitch. Every once in awhile it'd try to start for a split second. Then out of no where it fired right up and ran perfect. I was out of fuel went back out it on the trailer and stopped and started it again 3 times with no issues. Fuel bulb was primed the whole time. Got home and noticed a ground bonding wire from the intake manifold to the main ground on the starter was almost broken. One wiggle and it came off. Wonder if that was my starting issue? Or bad killswitch? Also found a bleed line that goes from beneath the flywheel to the bottom of the powerhead that was cracked and broken. Boat ran great other than that 5900rpm only pushed the thing to 60 with a ski prop and a disabled jack plate. Putting the new jack plate pump in tommorow. If anyone has any pointers that'd be awesome. I hate these intermittent electrical problems.

Attachments

• IMG_3842.jpg
    IMG_3842.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_3845.jpg
    IMG_3845.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 310

Bunger

Reaction score
Also are these merc efis known for being thirsty? Damn near burned through 11 gallons going around Elsinore 6 or 7 times. I thought the old jet boat drained the tanks but this things no better haha

Firemanjoe

Reaction score
Also are these merc efis known for being thirsty? Damn near burned through 11 gallons going around Elsinore 6 or 7 times. I thought the old jet boat drained the tanks but this things no better haha

Yes, the EFI motors are a little thirsty! My merc 260 does a little better than my old mans jet, but not by much.

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
John's ride...He iron mans the Enduro !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 272

HST4ME

Reaction score
Bad grounds on a merc efi are trouble. ... and by this time and age ALL oil and fuel lines need to be replaced. With the heat you all experience out there annual inspections need to be performed and as much any merc v6 from 2liter to the 2.5 should have 100:1 mixed in the tank.

Bunger

Reaction score
Bad grounds on a merc efi are trouble. ... and by this time and age ALL oil and fuel lines need to be replaced. With the heat you all experience out there annual inspections need to be performed and as much any merc v6 from 2liter to the 2.5 should have 100:1 mixed in the tank.

100:1 on top of the oil injection? Seems a bit excessive? and as far as the grounds go trouble as in what?

HST4ME

Reaction score
100:1 on top of the oil injection. I can't tell you how many powerheads I've replaced over the years when the plastic drive gear turns to goo or the oil lines get brittle and break between the oil pump and fuel pump. That broken wire appears to be the ecu ground.

That bleed line you found broken oils the top main bearing from the bottom. So I'd have a close check at the rest of them and the oil injection lines. A bi annual injector service and cleaning is also a good habit to get into.

Bunger

Reaction score
100:1 on top of the oil injection. I can't tell you how many powerheads I've replaced over the years when the plastic drive gear turns to goo or the oil lines get brittle and break between the oil pump and fuel pump. That broken wire appears to be the ecu ground.

That bleed line you found broken oils the top main bearing from the bottom. So I'd have a close check at the rest of them and the oil injection lines. A bi annual injector service and cleaning is also a good habit to get into.

Gotcha. I check the rest of the bleed lines and they and seemed fine nothing stiff or brittle. This one broke where it was resting on the bottom cowl in a little puddle of gas and oil. I fixed that ground. Would u recommend pre mixing and ditching the injection? I've talked to 3 different merc mechanics including Bruce dean and they all said to keep the injection. Mostly because it meters the oil and won't be too rich at idle and fowl plugs n stuff

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Gotcha. I check the rest of the bleed lines and they and seemed fine nothing stiff or brittle. This one broke where it was resting on the bottom cowl in a little puddle of gas and oil. I fixed that ground. Would u recommend pre mixing and ditching the injection? I've talked to 3 different merc mechanics including Bruce dean and they all said to keep the injection. Mostly because it meters the oil and won't be too rich at idle and fowl plugs n stuff
I don't know about the EFI motors but for the bmcarbed ones, yank that shit! One less thing to worry about and the entire oil injection system is reliant upon 1 little plastic gear. When it goes, there goes your power head.

From what I was told at least. My old 2.4 never even had oil injection. I was told it was an optional feature in '86?

HST4ME

Reaction score
I've never seen a healthy merc adi foul a plug. It's a very lively ignition system.

Bunger

Reaction score
I've never seen a healthy merc adi foul a plug. It's a very lively ignition system.

Right on. Any ideas on the starting issue I had? I fixed the ground for the ecu. With that ground off I still had continuity from the main ground on the starter to the aluminum frame and bracket of the ecu and throttle body.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Switch box or stator....possible kill switch wonky.

Bunger

Reaction score

Shit I was hopin you wouldn't say that lol. What's the process for testing stators and switchpacks? Anything I can do with a meter?

Bunger

Reaction score

Don't stators and switchboxes usually cause one bank of cylinders not to fire and poor acceleration and what not? When I had a switch pack go bad in my old black max it was only running on one bank.

HST4ME

Reaction score
On an efi one switch box triggers the injectors. Normally on a no start I would start looking at the low speed side of the stator. Of course getting the sob to act up when your standing there with a dva meter and not on the lake is another battle.

When I get drivability issues like that I carry two dva meters in the boat and rig test leads for the high/low speed wires so I can monitor the output voltages.

Bunger

Reaction score
Ran the thing on the hose for a half hour and started it stopped it 15 times fired every time. Only shitter is I found my head gasket leaking😐 No biggie pulled it off it was just the lower water jacket was seeing through. Cylinders look brand new still still see cross hatching. No scuffs scratches ect. No carbon on heads. Seems to be healthy as a horse. Pickin up the new gasket today should be back at Elsinore tommorow for one more shakedown before memorial and to do new trailer bunks 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_3883.jpg
    IMG_3883.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_3881.jpg
    IMG_3881.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 264

DaBull

Reaction score
I agree with the others. Ditch the oil injection. Merc makes a block off kit. You can get it through Pro Marine.

Ultra912

Reaction score
Also are these merc efis known for being thirsty? Damn near burned through 11 gallons going around Elsinore 6 or 7 times. I thought the old jet boat drained the tanks but this things no better. I was also told to ditch the oil injection

My 200 Xri is thirstier than my 496 mag :)