WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carry at work

hman442

Reaction score
I have heard the same thing about hollow point type ammo. Anything "more deadly" is kind of premeditation and an enhanced willingness to use. Those sentiments can be portrayed in a negative aggressive light by a prosecutor.
I read an article, started that the liberal prosecutor gets after modifications, carrying extra magazines, hollow point ammo, and, reloading. Any of those, he will argue, means that you "want to kill somebody". My thought was, what a crock of crap, hopefully the jury members aren't completely stupid.

clarence

Reaction score
Overseas, I once worked with a older Yemeni who showed me the AK74 in his trunk. Told me to meet him in the parking lot if there was ever any trouble.

Miss that guy.

Heylam

Reaction score
I’m looking for a new ccw, and the shield is at the top of my list. Also looking at the Sig Sauer P365xl and the Glock 43.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Any concern modifying your carry weapon? I have been told by more than one person in the know that you shouldn't. Greg block says you can, but in the aftermath of an incident the first thing they do in orange county is have him check if it has been modified. This apparently can be used against you in court

No. In my case my CCW weapons are cleared by the Dept. armorer every year when I qualify for my LEOSA 50 state permit. The short reset trigger is a Sig Sauer factory part, and it comes on many of their pistols, including the 229 Enhanced Elite I listed. It is offered as a replacement piece in kit form to install on several models, including the 220. I liked the feel of it on the 229, so I installed it on the 220..
It is not a modification from factory specs.

I cannot imagine any certified armorer inspecting a pistol with factory options installed properly raising a red flag in the event a citizen uses deadly force. If he did I am certain a competent expert from the defense side could squash his testimony in short order. This isn't like the Sear has been futzed with or the "trigger filed down" as is said in circles where people don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Now, if someone messes with the functionality of a firearm and it can be proven via testing and inspection that this has been done, and done putting the firearm out of spec, then yes indeed the heat is going to come down, and problems can and probably will arise in a deadly force ligation case.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
No. In my case my CCW weapons are cleared by the Dept. armorer every year when I qualify for my LEOSA 50 state permit. The short reset trigger is a Sig Sauer factory part, and it comes on many of their pistols, including the 229 Enhanced Elite I listed. It is offered as a replacement piece in kit form to install on several models, including the 220. I liked the feel of it on the 229, so I installed it on the 220..
It is not a modification from factory specs.

I cannot imagine any certified armorer inspecting a pistol with factory options installed properly raising a red flag in the event a citizen uses deadly force. If he did I am certain a competent expert from the defense side could squash his testimony in short order. This isn't like the Sear has been futzed with or the "trigger filed down" as is said in circles where people don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Now, if someone messes with the functionality of a firearm and it can be proven via testing and inspection that this has been done, and done putting the firearm out of spec, then yes indeed the heat is going to come down, and problems can and probably will arise in a deadly force ligation case.
And that's why I ask. That certainly sounds much different than what I suggested. What I suggested is what you seem to describe as a problem.

Edit: thanks for the clarification.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
H&K 9. Always by my side. Its funny but having this within reach makes me even more aware- and to avoid issues at all times.

100%
When we carry, we must be the nicest guy on earth, prepared to lose any verbal confrontation and simply walk away.

Removing oneself from a situation is the best way to avoid trouble.

IMHO

Last edited:

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I’m looking for a new ccw, and the shield is at the top of my list. Also looking at the Sig Sauer P365xl and the Glock 43.
Having both of those, I’d encourage looking at the 43X as well. It’s millimeters bigger in both directions, but offers more capacity and fits larger hands better (IMO).

Heylam

Reaction score
Availability is the problem with any of these guns. I know I can order one and have it shipped to a dealer, but I’d like to hold them and compare fit to my hands.

Last edited:

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Having both of those, I’d encourage looking at the 43X as well. It’s millimeters bigger in both directions, but offers more capacity and fits larger hands better (IMO).

My wife has a 43 and I do not like shooting it, you almost can’t see the gun when it’s in my hands. She likes it because it fits her hands easily, so she carries it every day.

We both held the 43x yesterday at our local pew pew store and really liked it. I could see carrying it daily…she tried to get me to buy it on the spot. Lol

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
View attachment 1080796
I love my G20. It is usually my nightstand piece.
Is this you?

1642351670858.jpeg

As to the OP, depends on where I am working. If they have a clear and stated “no guns” policy, I abide by their rules while on their property. Other’s who I assume would be mortified by the thought of an armed person (other than LE or military) on their property, I just DADT.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I really like my 43, shooting it doesn't bother me and it's nice and compact.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Last week at a pre job morning meeting the safety guy went on at length about the rig crews and 3rd party hands having guns in their vehicles.
He then said that anyone with their vehicle parked inside the location gate with a firearm needed to go move their vehicles outside of the gate. I’d say at least 15 people temporarily left the meeting right then…lol.
Say what you will about W Virginia and Western Pennsylvania, I’m here to tell you these boys aren’t fucking around.
They don’t mince words, and they don’t give a fuck about your feelings.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Last week at a pre job morning meeting the safety guy went on at length about the rig crews and 3rd party hands having guns in their vehicles.
He then said that anyone with their vehicle parked inside the location gate with a firearm needed to go move their vehicles outside of the gate. I’d say at least 15 people temporarily left the meeting right then…lol.
Say what you will about W Virginia and Western Pennsylvania, I’m here to tell you these boys aren’t fucking around.
what safety guy did is illegal in W Virginia. He needs to run that by legal.

15 guys, that’s about $100k in penalties

The West Virginia Attorney General is authorized to enforce the Act’s provisions by seeking injunctive relief and/or civil penalties of not more than $5,000 for each violation, plus costs and attorney’s fees.

Wedgy

Reaction score
I like the little Phoenix Arms 22 pistol. Kids like it. Compact, and fun to shoot. Walther PPQ is a wee bit large to conceal LOL.

On an Oilfield story side note, I asked Leatherneck Roughneck Dave about casing, cementing, drill pipe, mud, the different crews and stages of drilling. That convo eventually led to Fishing. Dave tells the story of a new Hand who dropped a 24" pipe wrench down the hole. The Driller, being quite the Hardass, cussing the Newbie, while bragging about his fishing prowess in retrieving the tool, which was now out of the hole. Addressing the soon to be fired new Hand, still standing on the floor, he said "Well now. Now that that's done, Looks like you're run off." Only thing was, the wrench was still in the New Old Hand's hand...

rrrr

Reaction score
100%
When we carry, we must be the nicest guy on earth, prepared to lose any verbal confrontation and simply walk away.

Removing oneself from a situation is the best way to avoid trouble.

IMHO
My decision to carry a weapon has instilled in me a fear that I will forced to use it. The facts are simple. If I choose to unholster my weapon, it means I will be firing it.

I cannot imagine a situation where I would present a deadly weapon just to intimidate or threaten someone. That ain't happening.

If it comes out, I have already made the decision to shoot. There cannot be a hesitation while I wait to see the target's reaction to the firearm, because that's a good way to end up dead.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
When I was working I would usually leave it in the truck. Never would take it into the office. The owner probably had more guns than the employees combined. LOL

Wedgy

Reaction score
My decision to carry a weapon has instilled in me a fear that I will forced to use it. The facts are simple. If I choose to unholster my weapon, it means I will be firing it.

I cannot imagine a situation where I would present a deadly weapon just to intimidate or threaten someone. That ain't happening.

If it comes out, I have already made the decision to shoot. There cannot be a hesitation while I wait to see the target's reaction to the firearm, because that's a good way to end up dead.
How the West was Won.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score

Agree with you 100%.
Curious your thoughts on this. I saw a video of a young dude fishing around the Stockton area. He was doing a 'How to video' on fishing bass from the bank using one of those chest mounted go pro's. He narrated it afterwards to show what had happened. He was walking along the bank of the river in broad daylight in downtown Stockton . . . you can see three shadows approach him from behind. One of the shadows peels-off and walks up right behind him and then you hear a voice say, "Hey nice camera" . . . you can't see it, but right then the guy filming pulls a pistol from inside his waistband and the shadow guy then comes into view from his right side, who immediately holds up his hands and says, "All Good Bruh, My Bad " . . . he walks away and re-joins the other 2 dudes in hoodies as they walk away.

I'm with you 100% as far as pulling out a weapon only as a last resort. But in this instance it seemed to get the results needed, and everyone went home with all their property, and no one was injured or killed. Not to mention avoiding all the legal BS. FWIW, the guy filming said he immediately called the Stockton Police and reported the incident, he was also a valid CCW holder. Nothing further happened to him as far as legal action etc.

Duramax

Reaction score
Is this you?

View attachment 1080970

As to the OP, depends on where I am working. If they have a clear and stated “no guns” policy, I abide by their rules while on their property. Other’s who I assume would be mortified by the thought of an armed person (other than LE or military) on their property, I just DADT.
lol, because I have a tac light and an RMR? Most all my pistols have tac lights, and every one except my 26 has an RMR.

Last edited:

bocco

Reaction score
No need for me. I work at a very secure government facility. We've got well armed security everywhere.

Duramax

Reaction score
That brand of tac light seems to be popular. It's a little awkward since I'm a lefty, but overall it's a good addition to a handgun.
Surefires X300 series is really popular, and you can activate from both sides. This one is a little different as I use it with a holster Surefire makes. I have x300 on all my full size, but run smaller Surefires on my compacts. I have also started to run Olights which are great lights also.
I think tac lights are a great addition to any pistol.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I like the little Phoenix Arms 22 pistol. Kids like it. Compact, and fun to shoot. Walther PPQ is a wee bit large to conceal LOL.

On an Oilfield story side note, I asked Leatherneck Roughneck Dave about casing, cementing, drill pipe, mud, the different crews and stages of drilling. That convo eventually led to Fishing. Dave tells the story of a new Hand who dropped a 24" pipe wrench down the hole. The Driller, being quite the Hardass, cussing the Newbie, while bragging about his fishing prowess in retrieving the tool, which was now out of the hole. Addressing the soon to be fired new Hand, still standing on the floor, he said "Well now. Now that that's done, Looks like you're run off." Only thing was, the wrench was still in the New Old Hand's hand...

Yeah that’s one that’s usually told around big water well operations.. lol
Down the hole she goes.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
lol, because I have a tac light and an RMR? Most all my pistols have tac lights, and every one except my 26 has an RMR.
Yea, not a fan of either in A CCW gun, a lot of stuff to lug around and more to get hung up when defeating garments.

I carry a g27 with tritium. I don’t think I want to stuff any else inside my belt.

Duramax

Reaction score
Yea, not a fan of either in A CCW gun, a lot of stuff to lug around and more to get hung up when defeating garments.

I carry a g27 with tritium. I don’t think I want to stuff any else inside my belt.

Although I am not a huge fan of the .40, you can't beat a g26/g27. Absolutely love, love, love this platform.

Have you ran any 357sig?

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
View attachment 1081213

Although I am not a huge fan of the .40, you can't beat a g26/g27. Absolutely love, love, love this platform.

Have you ran any 357sig?
All my .40’s have .357sig barrels with the exception of the berettas, which will break if chambered in .357 sig. IMO, .357sig is the most challenging of handgun rounds to load but well worth the effort. Tricks are matching brass and the lee factory crimp die. There is some ambiguity about changing calibers on my LTC from my IA so I just leave it .40 with ranger

I’m a 1911 guy, in fact I’ve been called a glock hater. Which I am not. Glocks are very good cheep and overpriced guns.

The 27 is an outstanding carry gun for me. I work and I sweat and other guns start to rust. It’s small enough not to be a incumbents and large enough for me to operate effectively.

DLC

Reaction score
Availability is the problem with any of these guns. I know I can order one and have it shipped to a dealer, but I’d like to hold them and compare fit to my hands.
I have the g 43 and the sig 365. Like the 365 with the plus mag - it holds 15 and fits my hand really well!

Heylam

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m leaning towards getting the P365x.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I have the g 43 and the sig 365. Like the 365 with the plus mag - it holds 15 and fits my hand really well!
Plenty here in Vegas. G43 and G48 in stock at my local gun store. No G43x though. I hear Shield Arms is working on a magazine for the G43 that will increase capacity, like their 15 rounders for the G43x. Those fit flush like the stock mags, not extended.

Yeah, I’m leaning towards getting the P365x.
Make sure you check out the trigger. I was not a fan.

Reactions: DLC