WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cars are splashed just like boats. Porsche's note to Honda.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
http://jalopnik.com/the-secret-mess...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Most everyone knows that automakers buy competitors? cars to test and take apart to see how they can make their better and faster. But when Porsche caught Honda in the act, they left a sassy little note.

When Acura was developing the NSX in its Ohio plant, it assessed the steering on a Porsche 911 GT3 after buying one just like any other customer would, NSX vehicle dynamics project leader Nick Robinson told Automotive News.

However, after the GT3 was recalled to repair an issue with the connecting rods, Porsche engineers were somehow able to figure out who bought the car after going through the information in its black box.

Robinson recalled that Porsche sent back the GT3 with a message under the engine cover that read: ?Good luck Honda from Porsche. See you on the other side.?

(The other side of what? That sounds morbid.)

The photo above was taken near Honda?s R&D facility in Ohio, where they build the NSX. I?d suppose that this is the GT3 that Robinson is talking about, because I?m willing to bet that there probably aren?t many 991.1 911 GT3s in that particular part of the state. It probably wasn?t a hard guess as to who the car belonged to.

I wonder who got to keep the car after testing was done

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Great article.

Lots of subtle jabs happen behind the scenes in this industry. These guys generally all know one another anyway.

Evaluation cars are likely sold at auction, they're worn-out.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Evaluation cars are likely sold at auction, they're worn-out.
I thought they were crushed, or destroyed in some way. Regardless, as the article says about the black box, I'm sure it shows hours of relentless driving :D

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Cars that are imported for evaluation, but don't meet regs, are definitely crushed.

But the NSX was developed here, and from the article it sounds like they went to a US dealership.

They could also crush an evaluation car...but if it's worth anything, I think it would likely be sold.

Or an executive is driving it, and the car was added to their fleet.

In my experience, crushing the car is a last-resort option, as there's a cost involved with crushing cars, too.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Hell yeah cars are splashed! Look at all the current Ford cars. They stole the shape of the grill from Aston Martin. Ever generation of Honda Civic and Accord have at least one major styling cue ripped off of BMW or Mercedes

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Way back when nissan engineers were disecting a bmw 1600 they proclaimed they'd have a car like it to market in 6 months.
The Germans were flabbergasted and asked with amazement "Dat Soon?"[emoji12] [emoji23]
The Datsun 510 was born[emoji4]

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Great article.

Lots of subtle jabs happen behind the scenes in this industry. These guys generally all know one another anyway.

Sounds just like the boat industry.:cool