WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

carvana or carmax

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
A quick question. My Dad was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and can no longer drive. I need to sell his 2018 Challenger SXT Plus that is currently financed through Fifth Third Bank. Unfortunatley, I believe he is upside down on the loan. Which would be a better alternative, Carvana or CarMax to unload this vehicle?

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Givemethevin.com John Clay Wolfe's company. They just started in the LA market and you can listen to him on Klos on Sat mornings. He will pay more for wholesale cars than anyone else. If you go get an offer from carmax and he doesn't beat it he will give you $100. I am not affiliated with the company at all. I just listen to his podcasts and enjoy the show.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thanks and will check it out.

Givemethevin.com John Clay Wolfe's company. They just started in the LA market and you can listen to him on Klos on Sat mornings. He will pay more for wholesale cars than anyone else. If you go get an offer from carmax and he doesn't beat it he will give you $100. I am not affiliated with the company at all. I just listen to his podcasts and enjoy the show.

Thanks. Alzheimer's is a tough deal. My mother-in-law has it as well and she is now in a home. She was living with us for awhile but became violent out of frustration. Neither me or my wife has the capability to care for an Alzheimer's patient/parent and it was in everyone's best interst to put her in a home where she can get the care she needs. My Dad is not that far along yet. My Sister lives with him which is good. I pick him up on Mon, Wed and Fri to get him out of the house and take him shopping to get his essentials and take him for walks to sort of socialize him.

Can't give you advice on Carmax or Carvana, but very sorry to hear about your father. Went through this with my parents.

Sandlord

Reaction score
CARMAX gave me $1500 more than I was offered for trade in value at a Jeep dealer for a 10 year old Toyota.

Reactions: D19

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Carvana last week offered me $4000 less than CarMax did for my wife’s 2015 4Runner. Dealer offered me $2000 more than CarMax did. Dealer gets the car and I get the trade in tax credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81Sprint

Reaction score
my boss sold his truck to the givemethevin people, said it was an easy process and they offered him the most.

aj923

Reaction score
Just sold my wifes jeep to carmax. They beat carvana and were only 3k less than what they were listed private party. They paid the balance of the loan right there and handed us a check for the difference.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Sold two vehicles to each. Carmax gave me more than the dealer and carvana gave me 1000 more than carmax two of them. Carvana was really easy, took a few minutes online and they gave me a solid offer, set a time to pick it up and was done without me having to do anything else. Private party was about 500 more than carvana on the 2 I was selling but it was worth it to NOT have to deal with people and the time.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
I have a friend who recently sold a car to Carvana, he said it went smoothly and they offered about 20% more than carmax.

I am sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Hopefully this does not come across wrong, but is paying the negative equity to his or your benefit. If he does no other business with this bank and will not require his credit score in the future, does selling it make sense? In some scenarios turning a vehicle in could be an option worth considering. I doubt a bank would pursue outside of any deposits or other loans on the books.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've thought about just letting them repo it but am trying to do the right thing and just sell it. I figure carvana or givemethevin in the best option than dealing with tire kickers on a car that has less than 2700 miles.

Hopefully this does not come across wrong, but is paying the negative equity to his or your benefit. If he does no other business with this bank and will not require his credit score in the future, does selling it make sense? In some scenarios turning a vehicle in could be an option worth considering. I doubt a bank would pursue outside of any deposits or other loans on the books.

84miller

Reaction score
Sorry about your dad, been there....I bought a 2009 mustang a while back, drove it for a year, went to Carmax, who within a hour gave me a purchase price. It was 2K over what I paid at dealership the year before. So I took it. You have nothing to lose by setting up a appointment, look for a place to have lunch near by, go back and see the price they offer. Used cars fetch good money....

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thanks. With my work schedule I think carvana or givemethevin is our best option. I like the idea that they come and get the car and hand you a check.

Sorry about your dad, been there....I bought a 2009 mustang a while back, drove it for a year, went to Carmax, who within a hour gave me a purchase price. It was 2K over what I paid at dealership the year before. So I took it. You have nothing to lose by setting up a appointment, look for a place to have lunch near by, go back and see the price they offer. Used cars fetch good money....

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Thanks. With my work schedule I think carvana or givemethevin is our best option. I like the idea that they come and get the car and hand you a check.

FYI go to edmunds.com and click the appraisal tab. The number it gives you is exactly what CarMax will offer you.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Interesting and didn't know that

FYI go to edmunds.com and click the appraisal tab. The number it gives you is exactly what CarMax will offer you.

DaveH

Reaction score
well my GF is trying to off her 2 year old BMW (got a new company car and doesn't need it anymore) and will see who of the 3 recommended here make the highest offer.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Vroom is another option, you can enter the info online and get the price, takes about 5 minutes.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Keep us updated.

well my GF is trying to off her 2 year old BMW (got a new company car and doesn't need it anymore) and will see who of the 3 recommended here make the highest offer.

I forgot about vroom. So farm getmyvin.com is the highest payment. Taking the car to the carwash tomorrow to get 3-4 months of dirt off of it.

I need to send them pictures of the car and don't think they would appreciate a filthy car which could hide damage.

Vroom is another option, you can enter the info online and get the price, takes about 5 minutes.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Ritchey, I am very sorry about your Dad, I did not catch that part when I read over it quickly. Prayers to your pops to do what ever he can to retain as much as he can. We went through this with 4 family members. Prayers for your entire family buddy.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thanks and much appreciated. He will hate seeing the car disappear but think he will forget about it after a few days. I really hate being in this position but need to do what is best for him. Silly to be making a car payment and insurance on a car that he cannot drive.

Ritchey, I am very sorry about your Dad, I did not catch that part when I read over it quickly. Prayers to your pops to do what ever he can to retain as much as he can. We went through this with 4 family members. Prayers for your entire family buddy.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Thanks and much appreciated. He will hate seeing the car disappear but think he will forget about it after a few days. I really hate being in this position but need to do what is best for him. Silly to be making a car payment and insurance on a car that he cannot drive.
If you need to talk with anyone regarding this terrible disease and some of the issues let me know we can PM and call...I have a lot of experience (unwanted but forced). Take care buddy.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wow, not sure how I missed the thread. Best to you and the family. This is not a fun process. Be sure to take care of yourself!!!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I appreciate it. I've got some experience with it as my mother-in-law also has it and she was living with us for a little while until she became violent and we had to put her in a home. Plus, my wife was babysitting one of our grandkids and didnt want him exposed to her violent outbursts.

If you need to talk with anyone regarding this terrible disease and some of the issues let me know we can PM and call...I have a lot of experience (unwanted but forced). Take care buddy.

Thanks. Much appreciated and it is very tiring.

Wow, not sure how I missed the thread. Best to you and the family. This is not a fun process. Be sure to take care of yourself!!!

hallett21

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. No chance anyone in the family needs a car and can just take over the payments? So you can avoid having to pay the difference (assuming the offers are under what he owes)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Keep us updated.

I forgot about vroom. So farm getmyvin.com is the highest payment. Taking the car to the carwash tomorrow to get 3-4 months of dirt off of it.

I need to send them pictures of the car and don't think they would appreciate a filthy car which could hide damage.
God Bless your dads health. Dealt with both my parents loosing their memories.
A saying we had when we inspected trade-ins was: We can see through dirt but we can't see through clean.
A spotless clean(engine compartment/undercarriage) high mileage car usually was hiding something.
Your dads having just a few thousand miles wouldn't raise any red flags however.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thanks and unfortunately, no one other than me or my sister in CA. Neither one of us wants the car.

Sorry to hear. No chance anyone in the family needs a car and can just take over the payments? So you can avoid having to pay the difference (assuming the offers are under what he owes)

Thank you. I'm just glad he is still around and still has his sense of humor I get to hear the same childhood stories every day. I'm taking him to see his Aunt and COusins in Upper Michigan at some point. I just need to determine the best time to take him.

God Bless your dads health. Dealt with both my parents loosing their memories.
A saying we had when we inspected trade-ins was: We can see through dirt but we can't see through clean.
A spotless clean(engine compartment/undercarriage) high mileage car usually was hiding something.
Your dads having just a few thousand miles wouldn't raise any red flags however.

D19

Reaction score
I got a quote from Carvana and KBB this week. Carvana was 2k more. I need to run by Carmax before making my decision.

Selling cars private party sucks.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A quick question. My Dad was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and can no longer drive. I need to sell his 2018 Challenger SXT Plus that is currently financed through Fifth Third Bank. Unfortunatley, I believe he is upside down on the loan. Which would be a better alternative, Carvana or CarMax to unload this vehicle?

Really sorry to read this Rich. Best of luck to ya.

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
Sorry to hear
Vroom gave us best money for our 2012 Tahoe

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear about your dad, good luck with the car. I know you want this to move fast, but depending on your offers, with such a desirable car would RDP classified's be an option for a cash only deal?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I’m sorry about your dad Ritchie, we went through this with my mom about 13 years ago, luckily the man who she married after my parents divorced took care of her until he couldn’t, she’d take off from the house and walk for blocks. Fortunately they lived in a gated golf community and everyone knew everyone and would let him know that she was at their house having a snack. It was a tough decision to decide to put her in a home and trying to find one was even tougher. Luckily there was a very nice one and actually employed people who cared near their home in San Jacinto. Hang tough.

On the deal about the car, if he’s upside down on what he owes just let the lender repo it, it’s not like he needs to maintain his credit spotless and it’s no more money out of his pocket. If your car buying sources give you less than what he owes the repo may be your best option.

Good luck, and hang tough buddy.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I did find out that he is NOT upside down on the car which is great news. Givemethevin offered $25K for it and I'm now waiting for them to tell me when they will be picking it up.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Update. The car has offically been sold and picked up by givemethevin. I didn't want to say too much before until the car was gone. Carvana offered 16900 for it and givemethevin gave us 25000 for it. A huge difference.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Update. The car has offically been sold and picked up by givemethevin. I didn't want to say too much before until the car was gone. Carvana offered 16900 for it and givemethevin gave us 25000 for it. A huge difference.
On my wife's 2015 4Runner, that we're trading in to the dealer today, here are the following offers we received:

CarMax - $25,000
Givemethevin - $21,500
Carvana - $22,500
Dealership - $26,500 at the dealer we are trading in to; on a new order we placed there another dealer offered $27,000 sight unseen.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Amazing the difference.

On my wife's 2015 4Runner, that we're trading in to the dealer today, here are the following offers we received:

CarMax - $25,000
Givemethevin - $21,500
Carvana - $22,500
Dealership - $26,500 at the dealer we are trading in to; on a new order we placed there another dealer offered $27,000 sight unseen.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Yeah the givemethevin people texted me and asked me what it would take. I replied with $29K and he says how did you arrive at that number? I said I get a sales tax break on the new vehicle we're buying if we have a trade in here in AZ; thus, selling to them without buying a car from them would cost me almost another $2,000 in sales tax. He didn't reply.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I thought it was odd that givemethevin had me remove the license plates off the car. I always thought the license plates went with the vehicle when sold. Now, I'm not sure what to do with them.

I called the insurance company and cancelled it as the car was driving away. His insurance renews on 01/01/2021 so he should get some money back from that.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
in AZ you own the plates. Ive had the same plates on about 5 trucks in a row now. DEEEZL

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
In CA, you only own personalized plates and regular plates go with the vehicle when sold. His car had regular plates

in AZ you own the plates. Ive had the same plates on about 5 trucks in a row now. DEEEZL

boatnam2

Reaction score
Sorry about your dad RR. I tried givemethevin on my 2005 mustang GT 1600 original miles, Saleen blower, Roush body kit, 20" wheels, still smells new! $4800 bucks, looks like i will be owning it a long time.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Sorry about your dad RR. I tried givemethevin on my 2005 mustang GT 1600 original miles, Saleen blower, Roush body kit, 20" wheels, still smells new! $4800 bucks, looks like i will be owning it a long time.

That type of car needs to go on bringatrailer.com.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I thought it was odd that givemethevin had me remove the license plates off the car. I always thought the license plates went with the vehicle when sold. Now, I'm not sure what to do with them.

I called the insurance company and cancelled it as the car was driving away. His insurance renews on 01/01/2021 so he should get some money back from that.

Make sure you go on California DMV and electronically do the release of liability. Just to CYA.

c_land

Reaction score
Has anyone sold to any of these outfits lately? I am considering selling my f150 and cannot stand selling private party.

How does it work, do they give you an offer and pick up/hand you a check?