WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cast iron cooking experts....

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We’ve done Chile verde...I’ll have to try fajitas next!
They work great because you can get the heat so high then use the lid with a little oil just put on fire ( upside down ) and cook tortillas 🤔😎👍 I just put a little oil in a cup / plate and wipe the lid with a paper towel / oil before each tort 😎 get the carry bags for the D ovens ) and you can take them on boat just use some charcoal briquettes to cook on 👍 you won’t mess up boat

sintax

Reaction score
Can anyone do a 1-5 bed list of cast skilli’s ?

I just have some basic well seasoned pans but would like to add a lifetime skillet and use these for camping or give to a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d try one of those Stargazer pans.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
They work great because you can get the heat so high then use the lid with a little oil just put on fire ( upside down ) and cook tortillas [emoji848][emoji41][emoji106] I just put a little oil in a cup / plate and wipe the lid with a paper towel / oil before each tort [emoji41] get the carry bags for the D ovens ) and you can take them on boat just use some charcoal briquettes to cook on [emoji106] you won’t mess up boat
I have 5 dutch ovens. They all have a purpose. LOL.

* 12" Traditional the I mostly cook with charcoal on top and under. I use the lid upside down for tortillas and even eggs and breakfast meats when roughing it camping.

* 12" flat on the bottom, with side handles. That I use in the oven and stovetop.

* 10" Traditional For when i don't need a 12". Use it in the BBQ, smoker, oven, and with charcoal.

* 8" Traditional that I cut the legs off so it is easier to use in the BBQ, smoker, oven, and stovetop. I mostly use it for beans in the BBQ or Smoker, but I also use it for soups, cornbread, and desserts.

* 4" Traditional with no legs. I use it for sauces, dips, and for liquid in the smoker.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score

* 12" Traditional the I mostly cook with charcoal on top and under. I use the lid upside down for tortillas and even eggs and breakfast meats when roughing it camping.

* 12" flat on the bottom, with side handles. That I use in the oven and stovetop.

* 10" Traditional For when i don't need a 12". Use it in the BBQ, smoker, oven, and with charcoal.

* 8" Traditional that I cut the legs off so it is easier to use in the BBQ, smoker, oven, and stovetop. I mostly use it for beans in the BBQ or Smoker, but I also use it for soups, cornbread, and desserts.

* 4" Traditional with no legs. I use it for sauces, dips, and for liquid in the smoker.
Lol let me go look in the garage lol😆 like my guns I don’t know WTF I got 😆😂 pancakes on the lid works great 😉

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I found whole tenderloin last week on sale at 99 Ranch for $4.99/lb. I couldn't believe it, thought they would suck. Bought one and it was awesome sliced into steaks. Went back the next day and bought 4 more. Froze 2, gave one to my son. and I'm finishing off the other. They're the smaller end, but $4.99? WTF? Can't go wrong. I even mixed some with pork for meatballs.

BTW, if you've never been to a 99 Ranch Market, it's worth it. Especially if you like weird cuts of meat and live seafood. Amazing. Oh, and whole cooked duck! Yummy.

IMG-5917.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-5917.jpg
    IMG-5917.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 58

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score

Fry fish on lid works great

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I'm going to do your chopped beef in mushroom gravy this weekend.

Sent From Tapatalk
Turn down the heat and Use a whisk on the gravy add a little more milk if needed to make it smooth 😉Enjoy

wrightman11

Reaction score
I found whole tenderloin last week on sale at 99 Ranch for $4.99/lb. I couldn't believe it, thought they would suck. Bought one and it was awesome sliced into steaks. Went back the next day and bought 4 more. Froze 2, gave one to my son. and I'm finishing off the other. They're the smaller end, but $4.99? WTF? Can't go wrong. I even mixed some with pork for meatballs.

BTW, if you've never been to a 99 Ranch Market, it's worth it. Especially if you like weird cuts of meat and live seafood. Amazing. Oh, and whole cooked duck! Yummy.

View attachment 966935

You can’t go wrong !

H Mart (an Asian market) here in Texas has full Tendies for $30-35 bucks, I’m with it.

I lucked out at Costco a month ago and they had full tendies for 4.99lb as well. [emoji1303]

sintax

Reaction score
You can’t go wrong !

H Mart (an Asian market) here in Texas has full Tendies for $30-35 bucks, I’m with it.

I lucked out at Costco a month ago and they had full tendies for 4.99lb as well. [emoji1303]

that’s something that blew me away out there went to HEB and saw full packer briskets for 1.99 an LB

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score

View attachment 966935
Quite often.....Superior has their tenderloin on sale for like 5.00 or 5.99/lb. Steaks or big ole roast slab. Meat is pretty good quality and no way you're getting tenderloin that cheap anywhere else.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
You can’t go wrong !

I never look at price ! I’m cooking I’m eating 😎 I look at meat and then what to do with it , tri tip rib eye or beef ribs pig in ground and build meal around it , that in the middle of nowhere 😉 , Welcome to the dinner table lol 😎 Never has anyone that has ate my cooking or bar tending bitch about it 😎 I dig cooking

Cdog

Reaction score
My dad gave me a 12 inch griswald years ago. I did the vegetable oil season then made lots of baked bacon in it. It’s been perfect ever since.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
My dad gave me a 12 inch griswald years ago. I did the vegetable oil season then made lots of baked bacon in it. It’s been perfect ever since.
Was told by a old guy a long time ago , bacon grease or lard only in a Dutch oven for flavor and never wash them , heat them up dump grease or toss 3-4 sticks of bacon get hot and toss BK wipe out with towel and proceed , always works ask anyone at Titties and Beer camp or home 😎

Cdog

Reaction score
Was told by a old guy a long time ago , bacon grease or lard only in a Dutch oven for flavor and never wash them , heat them up dump grease or toss 3-4 sticks of bacon get hot and toss BK wipe out with towel and proceed , always works ask anyone at Titties and Beer camp or home 😎

Exactly!!

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score

Whoa Scotty.....Seems You‘re really into getting Dutch Ovens.....not one, but multiple versions of Dutch Ovens. Which Dutch Oven do you prefer??????...... :p

badgas

Reaction score
I cook steaks, burgers , chicken , fish , bacon and also sear roasts etc in my cast iron skillet.

when finished , NO soap !!!

just scrub with water and then heat the sucker up with a coat of oil and let let cool on it's own.

I had one for 20 years then ruined it when I left it on a backyard burner for 3 days ( long story ) my current skillet is 8 years old and use it at least 3 nights a week.

wrightman11

Reaction score
that’s something that blew me away out there went to HEB and saw full packer briskets for 1.99 an LB

Talked with the butcher at HEB around Xmas to see if they were going to do the Ham and Turkey buy on get one half off, turns out that’s a thanksgiving special. He brought up brisket as an example of buying bulk etc. well it turns out they lose money on brisket or break even, what a trip.

Cdog

Reaction score
Talked with the butcher at HEB around Xmas to see if they were going to do the Ham and Turkey buy on get one half off, turns out that’s a thanksgiving special. He brought up brisket as an example of buying bulk etc. well it turns out they lose money on brisket or break even, what a trip.

Next time you’re at HEB buy a shit load of this sausage. It’s killer!!

Jalapeño hot

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thanks river.

If you guys want to see the seasoning that I use let me know. It taste too good not to share !

Post it up please! I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to know. 😊

wrightman11

Reaction score
Next time you’re at HEB buy a shit load of this sausage. It’s killer!!

Jalapeño hot

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] literally just ate my last one with my kid 2 days ago. He’s 2.5 years old and loves the regular one.

In laws came to visit before Xmas and I whipped up the 2 and a half day micro dry aged steaks (BBQ’d) , bacon wrapped Poblanos stuffed with cream cheese and corked with a mushroom (placed where the stem is cut out) aaaannnd threw on the exact sausage you recommended. They were tripping out on the combo of flavors and the cut of beef. Best thing was smearing the infused cream cheeese on both the steak and sausage. The whole plate cost $6 or so [emoji23]

Sausage 4.99 divided by 4
Steaks 3 each
4 slices bacon
Cream cheese 1.50
Poblanos .19 ea

wrightman11

Reaction score
Post it up please! I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to know. [emoji4]

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

Use the dry seasonings with just a touch of this run of the mill olive oil. Place on wire rack toss in the fridge for 2-3 days or less whatever. Gets you almost a jerkey crust and fall apart tender if cooked right. I’m hitting around 115 degrees on a shitty thermometer and have been killing it, searing on all sides. The sirloins are coming out like 2-3 hockey pucks stacked on top each other.

The shill share of the day, if you want some of the best olive oil that I have ever tried it has to be Selo.
Never had real olive oil and this stuff had a peppery finish ? Amazing in dressings and on Bbq veggies.
Cant wait until I order some more for this spring/ summer.

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Can anyone do a 1-5 bed list of cast skilli’s ?

I just have some basic well seasoned pans but would like to add a lifetime skillet and use these for camping or give to a friend.

Made in America, nicest cast iron cookware I’ve ever seen... and has yet to disappoint!!

I’d like to say I’d pass these on to my kids but for what they cost I think I’d be much happier with them in the box with me! Lol

Cdog

Reaction score
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] literally just ate my last one with my kid 2 days ago. He’s 2.5 years old and loves the regular one.

In laws came to visit before Xmas and I whipped up the 2 and a half day micro dry aged steaks (BBQ’d) , bacon wrapped Poblanos stuffed with cream cheese and corked with a mushroom (placed where the stem is cut out) aaaannnd threw on the exact sausage you recommended. They were tripping out on the combo of flavors and the cut of beef. Best thing was smearing the infused cream cheeese on both the steak and sausage. The whole plate cost $6 or so [emoji23]

Sausage 4.99 divided by 4
Steaks 3 each
4 slices bacon
Cream cheese 1.50
Poblanos .19 ea

They makes some awesome eats. My dad orders it from Ca & I hit their gas station deli smokehouse just north of Waco on the way to Austin from Frisco. Next week as a matter of fact. I’ll post pics here.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
When you cook fish heat is your friend 😉 keeps it from Getting mushy 😎
If you are doing it high heat make cajun style blackened fish. Red hot cast iron pan, fish dipped in butter then blackened seasoning. Fry for a few minutes a side.

wrightman11

Reaction score
Made in America, nicest cast iron cookware I’ve ever seen... and has yet to disappoint!!

I’d like to say I’d pass these on to my kids but for what they cost I think I’d be much happier with them in the box with me! Lol

IMG_9942.GIF

I saw the other post with these a few posts above, kinda tripped out a bit, gonna grab one for my brothers family. Thanks to those who shared these.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
View attachment 967204
View attachment 967205
Use the dry seasonings with just a touch of this run of the mill olive oil. Place on wire rack toss in the fridge for 2-3 days or less whatever. Gets you almost a jerkey crust and fall apart tender if cooked right. I’m hitting around 115 degrees on a shitty thermometer and have been killing it, searing on all sides. The sirloins are coming out like 2-3 hockey pucks stacked on top each other.

The shill share of the day, if you want some of the best olive oil that I have ever tried it has to be Selo.
Never had real olive oil and this stuff had a peppery finish ? Amazing in dressings and on Bbq veggies.
Cant wait until I order some more for this spring/ summer.

On olive oil, fresher the better. Those of you in the Phoenix area, make a trip out to the Queen Creek Olive Mill, some of the best olive oil you will ever taste.

Last edited:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Thanks river.

If you guys want to see the seasoning that I use let me know. It taste too good not to share !

What do you use for seasoning? I'm going to make them this weekend.

I don't have any Costco top sirloins in the freezer, so I will be using thick cut New Yorks.

Sent From Tapatalk

Dettom

Reaction score

You’re well equipped to cook outside when things turn to shit..

wrightman11

Reaction score
What do you use for seasoning? I'm going to make them this weekend.

I don't have any Costco top sirloins in the freezer, so I will be using thick cut New Yorks.

Sent From Tapatalk

Scroll up in the thread a bit, I just posted it. The Black stuff is on Amazon, I don’t do steaks without it anymore [emoji51] just a dusting to cover / no salt and I go heavy on cracked black pepper. Then a light coating of olive oil and brush all over the steak sides as well.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Scroll up in the thread a bit, I just posted it. The Black stuff is on Amazon, I don’t do steaks without it anymore [emoji51] just a dusting to cover / no salt and I go heavy on cracked black pepper. Then a light coating of olive oil and brush all over the steak sides as well.

I have them in the fridge for 48 hours. I'll cook them Saturday.

Sent From Tapatalk

wrightman11

Reaction score
I have them in the fridge for 48 hours. I'll cook them Saturday.

Sent From Tapatalk

I should have stated that the steaks need to be rather thick for anything longer than that. 48 should be good for a 3/4” cut ?

1” and up it just dehydrates the fat ton and penetrates the meat an 1/8th inch I’d say.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I should have stated that the steaks need to be rather thick for anything longer than that. 48 should be good for a 3/4” cut ?

1” and up it just dehydrates the fat ton and penetrates the meat an 1/8th inch I’d say.

The steaks are 1.5" to 1.75" thick.

Sent From Tapatalk

Cdog

Reaction score
Nice rig.
I have a few Griswolds, some ERIE.
One labeled “japan” that’s really nice , almost looks forged.
The deal with Griswolds(most) is pre war. They’re made with pure iron. Any cast iron post war is junk cars, fence posts, and sewer pipe. Lol

Dad and I are Clampers. He went full retard into a Griswold dutch oven rabbit hole for a while. He's also been in the casting business his whole life so he's all about it. What I notice about the Griswolds is how smooth they are compared to all the recent cast iron pans.

sintax

Reaction score
Dad and I are Clampers. He went full retard into a Griswold dutch oven rabbit hole for a while. He's also been in the casting business his whole life so he's all about it. What I notice about the Griswolds is how smooth they are compared to all the recent cast iron pans.

very true there. That’s why most of the higher end pans now have machined cooking surfaces. I am curious, does your dad say what’s different about the casting process? There clearly is a difference.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I hear that. Half the fun is searching them out at swaps from people that don’t know. Don’t think I’ve paid more than 15 bucks for one!

Cdog

Reaction score
very true there. That’s why most of the higher end pans now have machined cooking surfaces. I am curious, does your dad say what’s different about the casting process? There clearly is a difference.

I think back in the day labor was cheaper so more work went into the molds. Giving the casting itself a smoother finish.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Ok guys, I had a brain fart. I put some water in my cast iron to soak when I was cleaning it and forgot it, now I've got some surface minor surface rust. Do I need to take steel wool to it or just deep scrub and reseason?

I also wanted to say thanks to all of the lodge users, they are less than an hour from me and support a large chunk of the small town's economy where there aren't a lot of options for good long term jobs. I can say first hand that they really are a family owned small town company that gives back to the community.

Cdog

Reaction score
Ok guys, I had a brain fart. I put some water in my cast iron to soak when I was cleaning it and forgot it, now I've got some surface minor surface rust. Do I need to take steel wool to it or just deep scrub and reseason?

I also wanted to say thanks to all of the lodge users, they are less than an hour from me and support a large chunk of the small town's economy where there aren't a lot of options for good long term jobs. I can say first hand that they really are a family owned small town company that gives back to the community.

Rub veg oil on it with a paper towel & remove the rust oxidation and stick in the oven next time you let the oven cool down.

wrightman11

Reaction score
Where’s the BBQ thread in this joint ?

Doing a Tri tip but don’t want to spam this cast iron lobby [emoji23]

Also this is about how much of all three of those seasonings I use. After the black and granulated garlic I then do a little olive oil to make a sticky paste on the meat itself, the crack pepper as to keep it stuck on the meat. Rub the sides on the pan to pick up all the extra. [emoji1306][emoji108]

View attachment 967797

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk View attachment 967798
View attachment 967799