WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cast iron skillet?

ltbaney1

Reaction score
So I have a Lodge cast iron skillet, used it Tuesday night and cleaned it like normal. I use no soap, just hot water and salt with elbow grease. No sponge or brush. After the wash, I threw it back on the stove and heated until no moisture was present. Went to move it off the stove to cook tonight and it had a black residue, being curious I wiped it with a clean dry towel and it came off black. Not sure if this is normal, first cast iron skillet and haven't used it much. It was properly seasoned prior to first use. Is this normal, or do I need to do something else? The more I use it the more I like it and want it to last. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Did you strip the stock seasoning and do it yourself or did you cook with the stock seasoning on?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

copterzach

Reaction score
Yes the stock oil needs to be cleaned off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Not sure about the stock oil, I seasoned it with canola in the oven according to how lodge tells you too. But it sounds like I need to figure out how to strip it and them re season it

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure about the stock oil, I seasoned it with canola in the oven according to how lodge tells you too. But it sounds like I need to figure out how to strip it and them re season it
That's what I would do. Sounds like you have burnt left overs on the pan lol.
There's a couple of good YouTube channels strictly dedicated to cast iron and will show you how to do it properly.

I threw all of mine in the oven on self clean to strip it off and used flax seed oil to reseason....but be forewarned....it's quite the process. I took about 3 days to season all my stuff.

johnnyC

Reaction score
the easy way for a cast iron skillet is to find one in a garage sale or steal it from your mother like i did, best pan i have ever cooked with!!!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Cook a steak in it.

I've had a Lodge pan for close to a decade, that's all I've ever done to "season" it. I hose it down with warm water after wiping out most of the oil and grease after cooking. Dry it with a clean towel. Done.

It ain't fine China...

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Cook a steak in it.

I've had a Lodge pan for close to a decade, that's all I've ever done to "season" it. I hose it down with warm water after wiping out most of the oil and grease after cooking. Dry it with a clean towel. Done.

It ain't fine China...
I do bacon.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Dont get to worries about using soap or scrubbing your pan. It's not a film of oil that keeps food from sticking to it, it's the layer of pure carbon that builds up after time and use. I have lots of cast iron cookware (mostly Lodge) and it has so much carbon build up that most everything just slips and slides like a brand new Teflon pan.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Dont get to worries about using soap or scrubbing your pan. It's not a film of oil that keeps food from sticking to it, it's the layer of pure carbon that builds up after time and use. I have lots of cast iron cookware (mostly Lodge) and it has so much carbon build up that most everything just slips and slides like a brand new Teflon pan.
Pretty sure it's not carbon buildup but polymerization of oils that make cast iron "non stick"

C-2

Reaction score

X2, I wash my my cast iron's all the time with soap without issue.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's not carbon buildup but polymerization of oils that make cast iron "non stick"

OK , well you cook on your polymers and I'll cook on my carbon and we'll both be happy.:D

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Been wanting to get me one of these....any tips?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Yup.....we love our cast iron when we go camping!!! A skillet and flat iron for the Camp Chef, but are cleaned with a wet towel while still hot and the food just slips off!!

Weird that we only use cast iron when we camp....the heaviest stuff to carry with us and lighter stuff at home.....WTF??

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
We use a lot of cast aluminum skillets at the restaurant. Bought a nice won for home and it takes time to get it seasoned right to keep things from sticking. More so than cast iron.

I've found cast iron is often just using it and it will get to a "just right" point. Patience has been the key for me, not trying to start over and "re-season".

If it was easy, teflon and other nonstick options would have never come along.:D

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The issue with soap is if you let it set in the pan, it will absorb into the seasoning and then the next thing you cook will probably end up tasting like soap. If you wipe it fast with a soap sponge and immediately rinse there isn't enough time for the soap to penetrate anything.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Racey is right, don't let it sit with soap in it. Sometimes to get it clean I do add a bit of soap and water and put it back on the burner. The boiling water lifts all the burnt stuff off the bottom and there's not much left to scrub.

Wash it, put it back on the stove top for a few minutes to drive out the moisture, then once it cools I oil it with vegetable or olive oil, and back it goes into the drawer.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Racey is right, don't let it sit with soap in it. Sometimes to get it clean I do add a bit of soap and water and put it back on the burner. The boiling water lifts all the burnt stuff off the bottom and there's not much left to scrub.

Wash it, put it back on the stove top for a few minutes to drive out the moisture, then once it cools I oil it with vegetable or olive oil, and back it goes into the drawer.

Don't encourage him... :D

I don't wipe the pan down with oil, if it's seasoned and you use it occasionally it will not rust.

Oil oxidizes and can give some funky tastes.

One other tip, if the recipe calls for de-glazing with anything acidic, use a SS pan. You'll strip the carbon right off the cast iron pan.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
You have 2 problems

1 too much oil

2 not hot enough when you season it.

Don't be a afraid to burn off all the seasoning and start over. I personally like flax seed oil.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

That's exactly what I do.
It sees soap for about 30 seconds tops.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
So after I left here, I opened Facebook. Here's the ad that was on the side of the page:

frying pan.JPG

They're spying on me!

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Since I am a sous vide guy, I use cast iron quite often. Someone stated oil going rancid, yes this can happen, especially in cutting boards, use mineral oil on those only no like one with beeswax already in it. For cast iron, flax seed is good but if you want to step up your game, avocado oil is the new all that as it has the highest smoke point in the group. I use that or canola interchangeably, but keep in mind I am going for “inside a volcano” ripping hot pan to do thirty second sears on already cooked through meat.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Been wanting to get me one of these....any tips?
Get a cheap set to see if you'd even like it before dropping coin on some good shit. Walmart of Buena Park has a couple of ozark trail 3 piece kits on sale for $15. Comes with two pans and a griddle.

IMG_20180127_084104.jpg
IMG_20180127_084058.jpg

Last edited: