WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cat Vs V bottom

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Want a new boat. Currently have a 28’ v bottom. What’s the over all opinion on v bottom vs cat!!

rbcconstruction.com

Rbcconst

Reaction score
This should be good...

There are pros and cons to both hull types. Are you talking about Cats with center pods, or without? :D

Lol either.

rbcconstruction.com

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
popcorn.jpg

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Two totally different worlds. I have a 270T Hallett, great boat, lots of room, nice cabin, my wife loves it ( I like it too).
I just bought an Eliminator 26' Daytona (about the same size as the Hallett). Way less room in the boat, but more fun to drive.
I kept the Hallett so we have the best of both worlds. My wife prefers the V, I like both, but the Cat is more fun to drive.
I haven't had the cat long enough to say which is better, the novelity hasn't worn off yet.
They both have the same power (twin 6.2 Mercruisers).
My 2 cents.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Two totally different worlds. I have a 270T Hallett, great boat, lots of room, nice cabin, my wife loves it ( I like it too).
I just bought an Eliminator 26' Daytona (about the same size as the Hallett). Way less room in the boat, but more fun to drive.
I kept the Hallett so we have the best of both worlds. My wife prefers the V, I like both, but the Cat is more fun to drive.
I haven't had the cat long enough to say which is better, the novelity hasn't worn off yet.
They both have the same power (twin 6.2 Mercruisers).
My 2 cents.

That is a nice fleet you have!

A lot of the decision between cat and V will probably have to do with the kind of boating you do?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
What about tubing, skiing, wakeboarding. Can you do it with a cat?

rbcconstruction.com

BONER

Reaction score
I doubt the kids will give a shit about or notice the performance while being towed. They'll giggle their asses off either way.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I doubt the kids will give a shit about or notice the performance while being towed. They'll giggle their asses off either way.
This is true!
If they don’t know how much better it behind a v, they won’t complain until they do:D
If the op goes the cat route, he needs to tab it properly.
Cats just aren’t efficient at slow speed, the trade off will be more fuel used and a wonky wake.
I guess if I were a boat owner in So Cal :cool: I’d probably opt for a boat that would allow me to go east or west for my boating venues. The ocean is pretty awesome!!

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
A Cat/tunnel hull or modified tunnel are very different from a V-drive hull. It's like comparing apples to oranges. A tunnel will leave a very flat wake compared to a V. So it makes a huge difference when towing a skier. Welldigger00 had a ski ride behind my Cougar 21 V-drive a few years ago and said it was probably the best boat he has ever skied behind.
However, it is terrible for pulling a wake boarder.
Tunnels also pack air under the hull creating less drag and more speed and if pointed into the wind, even more speed. If you aren't careful, it's very possible to flip over. Trust me, I've had a few close calls. You don't drive the boat, you fly it. There is a ton of other things to consider when looking between the two types. The best thing you can do to help make a decision is get together with a couple of RDP guys that have the similar boats you're looking for and talk to them. Maybe get a ride along and even better, if you are lucky, get behind the wheel.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Cat is a much smoother ride unless you're in super rough ocean water. First thing my wife said when we got our first cat was that her boobs don't bounce around as much....still haven't figured out if that is a pro or con.:D

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Cat is a much smoother ride unless you're in super rough ocean water. First thing my wife said when we got our first cat was that her boobs don't bounce around as much....still haven't figured out if that is a pro or con.:D
That depends on whether and who is complaining. lol

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
The wife and I just rode in a cat for the first time .
She dose not like going fast . To day we where at 90 mph .Our V is about 76 mph . She likes it . Told me we should buy the new cobra cat .
She might be right . Lol

Rbcconst

Reaction score

Lmao sounds like a con. What about tubing or wake boarding with the kids

rbcconstruction.com

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
We have a 26’ Carrera cat. We use it for everything. I pull the kids on tubes, my wife loves to slalom and likes it much better behind our boat than most boats, other than our 20’ tunnel. I have wakeboarded behind it a few times. It’s not perfect but I’m playing with props to get it closer. I think 28” bravos will do it. The 32” and 34” cleavers lose their Bite about 17-19mph and then it’s hard to keep a steady speed.

The biggest thing, my wife has always hated boats if the water is a little bit rough. She won’t even get into the 32’ sea ray pachanga. But after getting stuck in rough water in ours, she doesn’t mind it. Now when we see a storm coming, she doesn’t panic and need to go back to camp.

All in all, besides wake boarding, it does everything we need it to do, and will still run 100+. It’s been a great boat for our family.

I’ll have to ask her about the titty bounce. She’s never mentioned it. ;-)

TEBBY

Reaction score
Want a new boat. Currently have a 28’ v bottom. What’s the over all opinion on v bottom vs cat!!

rbcconstruction.com

I was lucky enough to have a lengthy conversation with one of the west coast’s boating lengends on this subject, and I hold his opinion in high regard...
His name is Fred Indman of IMCO Marine. In the end, Fred said that he loves a cat on the lake. But in Big Blue, the V-bottom still rules for stability, comfort, and ride...
I agree with those old guys who know more than I ever will with the amount of seat time and driving experience than I’ll ever get the chance to have...
Respectfully,
Rob