WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Catalina Help

rchelm19

Reaction score
I have a hallett 290 and mostly run it at the river with a few mead trips here and there. I am going to run it in the ocean and would like to maybe take a trip to catalina, moor over night, and go back home in the morning. I am unfamiliar on how to read the water conditions, weather, and the general equipment I need to make a trip likes this. If you have any tips on the things I need or how to moor, I am all ears. Any help I can get would be great!:thumbup:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Water conditions - in that link above I linked the local reports.

Basically with no radar look to go clear skies or high clouds. With clear skies usually comes wind. Under 10 knots for you max. Good GPS that can bread crumb, a compass.

Swell spacing over 10 seconds with height greater than 2'-4'. The norm is 2'-4 at 12-14 seconds. That's like lake Havasu in the morning. Wind waves will drive in the afternoon generally and pump things up. I have a buddy that thinks he can run in 8-10 foot seas with swell spacing at 7 seconds. I say film at 11.

Everything else you will get used to. Avalon Harbor Patrol are not really cops but more like lot porters if you will. Ready to help you get on a mooring.

You need a good Handheld radio, Avalon is 12 and Inthmus Harbor 9. If they are not out to greet you then call on the radio - Avalon Harbor this is ?? you can say "This is Hallet 290" on channel 12 or use your boats name. They will answer. Just ask and they will help. Why? Because the town wants your money...:)

And they will get it because that's what your gong there for. :thumbup::thumbup:

Avalon is main stream and the Isthmus is like the outback.

Have a great time.

rchelm19

Reaction score
Any pics of the boat [emoji4]

Funny story, boat is actually being built right now. When we do end up getting it from Hallett, we are going to take it for a run in the ocean. We will definetly have a Teague 1025 in it

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Question, how long is your boat and how did it handle the water. Do you think my 290 has enough freeboard to run to Catalina on a relatively rough day? Any help would be great!

Mine is 25' 5". Other than the occasional putt out passed the breakwater, I have zero experience in the ocean. My first and only time out to Catalina was just a few weeks back. With really nothing to compare the conditions against, I really felt the boat handled fine for what it is... open bow / cuddy set up with a 496 HO. By no stretch an 'ocean boat', but it was a great time. We are really dialed in for Parker. :)

ChiliPepperGarage (Al) and Hot For Teacher (Tom) made this trip possible for me. These two were really nice and helped tremendously.

I'll PM them and see if they will chime in!

Joe

Hot for Teacher

Reaction score
I think the 290 will handle a moderate day fine.... Let me know when you're ready to run and I'll do my best to be ready...:)
When is it going to be finished? Hope you're putting an IMCO SCX drive on it if you're putting a 1025 in it....
We run out of Dana Pt all the time....

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Question, how long is your boat and how did it handle the water. Do you think my 290 has enough freeboard to run to Catalina on a relatively rough day? Any help would be great!

It depends on what you consider "relatively rough". I've had my 29' Baja Outlaw (with twins) out in 6 footers (small craft warnings, maybe not quite 6 but felt like it!!!) before but just for a quick blast and then came back in. That boat had a pretty high freeboard though and a 24 degree deadrise at transom.

A Hallett is a pretty stout boat but not sure of the deadrise. Is it closed or open bow? Single or twins? Either way, you should have no trouble at all on most days. Unless it is like the weekend when Joe (Advantage1) went and the weekend after when we ran again when it was like a lake you will have to learn how to read the water and work the throttles, trim and tabs. Even as little as one footers will require some finesse or else you are going to get beat up if you just slam the sticks forward.

You throttle up going up the wave then back off at the top and get back on them as the boat comes back into the water. Failure to do it properly and you could break a drive or get tossed around a bit. Don't be scared of it though as it is not really hard to learn. Just need a little time out there to get used to it.

Let me know when you want to do a run and I'd be happy to give you some tips. Don't know where you are out of but we usually go out of Dana Point.

Attachments

• IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2376.JPG
    IMG_2376.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 158-5802_IMG.JPG
    158-5802_IMG.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 15

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I need to bring my boat back and run to catalina soon before my wife has me getting a deck n ost of some kind

rchelm19

Reaction score
I think the 290 will handle a moderate day fine.... Let me know when you're ready to run and I'll do my best to be ready...:)
When is it going to be finished? Hope you're putting an IMCO SCX drive on it if you're putting a 1025 in it....
We run out of Dana Pt all the time....
Thank you for extending your time! The boat will be finished in 4 or so months and we are still pondering what drive to put on it. To my understanding, the 1025 has enough power to break the drive. Breaking a drive in the middle of the ocean would not be good. Do you know of any stronger drives?

Hot for Teacher

Reaction score
I think the IMCO SCX is about the strongest bravo style drive out there.... I've had a couple Hallett's too...great boats... Keep us posted

rchelm19

Reaction score
I think the IMCO SCX is about the strongest bravo style drive out there.... I've had a couple Hallett's too...great boats... Keep us posted
They haven't even started the hull yet. When we do start, Ill do my best to update you and others on pictures and build status.:thumbup: