WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Catalina Island Fun Run 2022....

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I don't post often but when I do... Dan and Tank if you drive down to LB to launch your boats to go to Catalina which is in your backyard from Channel Island I give up on you Tailer Queens? OMG! Don't call don't write!!! Suck it up buttercup and run your boat for more than an hour in some swell. There is only a small section where your cell phone doesn't work or radio, but don't worry 200 container ships pass through that passage a day, somebody from Hong Kong hauling rubber dog shit will see you.

I guarantee you the ride of your life when you leave Catalina on Sunday headed back to CI. The quartering is perfect and the Cig just eats it up and says "More Throttle Please" Dan this is where your 42 will just pull harder and harder and ask for more. Oh yea don't worry about the stress cracks on the deck just below the windshield in the groove, there just cosmetic and means you don't have your chicken strips anymore. Dan ask Tank what chicken strips are? You probably have them on your motorcycle!

Sorry boys, you been called out.
Calm down there big dog, Have zero issues running to Catalina from Channel Islands but if you noticed the group is leaving from Newport in the morning, Seems like going with the group will be more fun, unless we run down the day before and come home day later, we will have to see how it plays out

Tank

Reaction score
I don't post often but when I do... Dan and Tank if you drive down to LB to launch your boats to go to Catalina which is in your backyard from Channel Island I give up on you Tailer Queens? OMG! Don't call don't write!!! Suck it up buttercup and run your boat for more than an hour in some swell. There is only a small section where your cell phone doesn't work or radio, but don't worry 200 container ships pass through that passage a day, somebody from Hong Kong hauling rubber dog shit will see you.

I guarantee you the ride of your life when you leave Catalina on Sunday headed back to CI. The quartering is perfect and the Cig just eats it up and says "More Throttle Please" Dan this is where your 42 will just pull harder and harder and ask for more. Oh yea don't worry about the stress cracks on the deck just below the windshield in the groove, there just cosmetic and means you don't have your chicken strips anymore. Dan ask Tank what chicken strips are? You probably have them on your motorcycle!

Sorry boys, you been called out.
Damn Kevin - special guest appearance. LMFAO. You just threw down the thunder!! Lol. You know me man, I just want to get to the party. 😂😂

However there is one little thing to note- All those years we ran over to Catalina or down to Newport together (and I mean I couldn’t even count how many runs we did) I don’t ever remember leaving from Channel Islands in your cafe, your gun or your 42X! 😂😂😂

Now, if I had that big ol new cigarette center console you have now maybe it’d be a different story and I’d consider it. Matter of fact, how about you man up and drag that thing out here and I’ll run right next to you from Channel Islands to Catalina!! 😂😂😂

You know you and Kelly always have a seat if you want to fly out man. Bring the kids too. We’ll make room and we’re bringing the boys.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
I know a lot of you always say you want to run over to Catalina someday. Well, that day has been scheduled. We've been wanting to get over there again for a while but we always miss this event since it used to fall on the same weekend as the LOTO Cigarette Rendezvous. They changed the dates to Sept. this year. Which is way better for many reasons, namely, we can make it but also, the weather is better in Sept., the water is calmer and it's considered "off season". Word I'm hearing is theres going to be a lot of boats going. Don't think I've ever seen a cheaper registration fee for a run. Sign up, lets roll!

If anyone running this wants a tune up run the CSR in July is in dire need of boats to pull skiers. Just gotta measure 43' or less.

DWC

Reaction score
If anyone running this wants a tune up run the CSR in July is in dire need of boats to pull skiers. Just gotta measure 43' or less.
Curious, why under 43’?

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Curious, why under 43’?
This is the from the race rules: No boat shall exceed forty-three (43) feet in length. The boat is measured from the bow (farthest point forward) to the lowest part of the transom that the drives are mounted on. Notched transoms will not constitute the end of the measurement.

This was put in place decades ago for safety. Back then with over 100 teams starting the race the larger the boats got the more chaotic it became at the start. Doesn't really matter much anymore with the participation we get now but the club doesn't want to change it.

Reactions: DWC

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… when I first got my old wooden Liveaboard yacht… A friend of mine convinced me we should make a Catalina run one Friday night… Talk about stupid the gas gauge said we had plenty of fuel… Well of course once we got about 10 miles out the boat just quit… The fuel gauge said we still had plenty of fuel…in both tanks… But of course that was not the case… My friend who’s brainstorm this was…pulled a hatch switched a couple of fuel line around and Wala the old boat started …. As soon as the boat started a guy in a small tug coming back from Catalina pulled up and threw us a line… He towed us all the way back into the inside of the LA Breakwater.… I wonder what he thought when he saw that all I had to do was turn the key in the boat would start …woops???…

Reactions: DWC

Tank

Reaction score
This used to be a blast years back. Is this the same runners that did SCOPE?
Not the scope group but I believe various previous scope members running.

Scope pretty much desolved a few years back. Best boating time of my life was the scope years early 2000’s. Great group of people. Lots of fun.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Tank and Dan, that was a coast to coast call out! Ha ha. K Schulte, if you make it out for this, I may see if I can head out from AZ.

This looks like a great event. I hope that it continues to grow.

RichL

Reaction score
Yup, but show us that antenna placement.....
The antenna is just outboard of the starboard windshield side panel and slightly forward of the radio. I use a short antenna with the ratchet base so it's laid down in the pics.
20220625_092211.jpg
20220626_175445.jpg
20220626_175456.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
Who’s all going?

Unfortunately im
Out (work) and dans out (boat down)

Super bummed. I was really looking forward to this run.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
(Subscribed)
Might go down to the wedge & shoot pics of boats leaving the harbor. 🤙
Looks like great weather and very little swell / wind.
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 12.46.00 PM.png

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea when "The Gathering" will occur off the Wedge Friday for those heading out from Newport? Years past there were always several Go Fasters assembled before heading across to Isalnd. Looks like great conditions!

Tank & Dan.... sorry you two can't make it.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
DUDE, I can so relate.... my ass muscles still tighten just thinking about what I did coming up through my boat years.... Best one was right after I got that 30' Magic... I was [shall we say] just up real late [didn't go to sleep] while partying on buddies boat at slip... came up from below just before sunrise [everytime I get on his boat the sun comes up ha] and I look over and my Magic is right in next slip sitting there calling to me.... I looked at his girlfriend and say, wanna take it to Catalina.... she says when, I say now.... everyones asleep down below.... she says give me 5 minutes... we head out, stop at fuel dock at sunrise to grab ice/ beer & gas.... get to two Harbors at I dunno what time.... great flat run... I have zero nav equipment, my radios at home as is handheld Garmin gps.... I pull up to pier and dockmaster is yelling down to me, 'where'd you come from' and just shook his head looking at my dumb, no sleep ass.... I got the can though and a nice neighbor called water taxi so we could get to the bar and continue our party. Some days ya get lucky, right... drove back line of sight no issue.... Saddleback Mtn is my waypoint ha. Dumb Dumb Dumb
You guys gave me a flash back to 1980s behavior.
Same deal no navigation on board left Newport Harbor with about 1/4 mile visibility pointed towards Catalina and looked at my watch and gave it 30 minutes. 30 minutes later still 1/4 mile visibility cut back to idle and was ready to turn around when suddenly I see waves breaking on the rocks on the south end of the island. Follow the shoreline back to Avalon and continue the party.
Alcohol courage coupled with stupidity.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I went on site and see launches Fri @ Nprt Dunes 9-10;30.... then gathering off Wedge @11ish to head south to EBay then off to Avalon. I'll be hoping for a some larger numbers cheering you guys off from CDM cliff. Boatless.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Good ole Tankster... I saw them off my deck earlier as they took off blazing el norte'.... man were they moving! Funny, I was watching from my perch and thinking they were too big for SeaDoos but they made no noise so was kinda figuring outboards. Now I know! Man do they zip along. I need more sound to get aroused though to be honest.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Couple early arrivals in Newport.... thats all that are here thus far. I reckon this is a working man crowd arriving later tonight or straight from home early in am. Otherwise we got a small showing and I may sleep in.
IMG_1580.jpg
IMG_1581.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
There are a couple of really nice rides in Huntington Harbour that launched and look like they VRBO a place. 388 Skater and 390 Nortech Quad CC.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
A bit busy at Newport launch but everyone played nice and nobody fell in. Off they go after helicopter arrived. Videos to come I'm sure.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I went on site and see launches Fri @ Nprt Dunes 9-10;30.... then gathering off Wedge @11ish to head south to EBay then off to Avalon. I'll be hoping for a some larger numbers cheering you guys off from CDM cliff. Boatless.
What’s going on with the new boat search Hubba Hubba ?

We are in the same boat so to speak.. (LoL)

I’ve come so close three times now over the last couple of months but just can’t seem to make a deal.

I am absolutely jones-ing for a new boat but just haven't been able to dial it in, at least in a reasonable fashion.

This Catalina thread is killing me…

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
What’s going on with the new boat search Hubba Hubba ?

We are in the same boat so to speak.. (LoL)

I’ve come so close three times now over the last couple of months but just can’t seem to make a deal.

I am absolutely jones-ing for a new boat but just haven't been able to dial it in, at least in a reasonable fashion.

This Catalina thread is killing me…
No searching at present for me. Orthopedic surgeon's recent mri review sort of reccommends less bouncy boating for a bit, lol.... I get pics every few years to simply keep an eye on my spine health. He always said I need a larger slower vessel if I stay in boating. I added 30 lbs to the issue in last 3 years so plan is to get weight off in 2023 and revisit spine health status then see if boating beckons. thinking 35-40 SeaRay type. Boring even to write it but we'll see. Its been about 10 mths of boatlessness and can't say I hear the calling as yet. I seem to get the itch every 5 years, buy one for 5 years then sell for 5. Kinda my cycle.... so I don't consider myself a true boater to be frank.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
No searching at present for me. Orthopedic surgeon's recent mri review sort of reccommends less bouncy boating for a bit, lol.... I get pics every few years to simply keep an eye on my spine health. He always said I need a larger slower vessel if I stay in boating. I added 30 lbs to the issue in last 3 years so plan is to get weight off in 2023 and revisit spine health status then see if boating beckons. thinking 35-40 SeaRay type. Boring even to write it but we'll see. Its been about 10 mths of boatlessness and can't say I hear the calling as yet. I seem to get the itch every 5 years, buy one for 5 years then sell for 5. Kinda my cycle.... so I don't consider myself a true boater to be frank.
Sorry to hear about the back. I know it can be a bitch.

My weight has been out of control for years and I decided to do something about it (of the surgical nature) earlier this year. I’m down 72 lbs as of this Morning and the loss continues. As a result, I’m feeling a bit randy in terms of the boat shopping and am now set on getting an offshore type go fast (fast for me anyway) twin big block I/O. Decent outboard CCs have turned out to be out of reach. Just too much dough.

Mine is a classic tale of champagne taste on a beer budget and, I’ve got more time than money..

We’ll see how it goes. As of this Morning Im in re-discussions with a seller on a cat offer that I made (with 500s and XRs on boxes) that was subsequently turned down a week ago. He is now considering it. I’m re-energized and may be taking a trip to Florida shortly assuming there aren’t any issues with the current storm situation.

Tank; apologies for semi-hijacking the thread but, Id likely be in for the Catalina trip if there was a boat in my garage. I use to go a lot and actually did the SCOPE poker run out of Long Beach to Catalina at one point (it was my 2nd out of three SCOPE poker runs - pic below) and I joined the club on an independent trip there as well. It truly is a lot of fun.

93FF2221-019E-4446-9FE9-232F8CDD9833.jpeg

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

My weight has been out of control for years and I decided to do something about it (of the surgical nature) earlier this year. I’m down 72 lbs as of this Morning and the loss continues. As a result, I’m feeling a bit randy in terms of the boat shopping and am now set on getting an offshore type go fast (fast for me anyway) twin big block I/O. Decent outboard CCs have turned out to be out of reach. Just too much dough.

Mine is a classic tale of champagne taste on a beer budget and, I’ve got more time than money..

We’ll see how it goes. As of this Morning Im in re-discussions with a seller on a cat offer that I made (with 500s and XRs on boxes) that was subsequently turned down a week ago. He is now considering it. I’m re-energized and may be taking a trip to Florida shortly assuming there aren’t any issues with the current storm situation.

Tank; apologies for semi-hijacking the thread but, Id likely be in for the Catalina trip if there was a boat in my garage. I use to go a lot and actually did the SCOPE poker run out of Long Beach to Catalina at one point (it was my 2nd out of three SCOPE poker runs - pic below) and I joined the club on an independent trip there as well. It truly is a lot of fun.

View attachment 1157558
Congrats on the weight loss, thats significant as it relates to spine. I'm always intrigued to hear about peoples spine surgery experiences so PM me details as you like. That way we don't get too off topic on this thread. Thanks.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Just checked the Catalina webcams.... I see two of our boys still on cans at Descanso.... winds are going to pick up after noon so hope they get outta there soon or it'll be bumpy return.

Tank

Reaction score

View attachment 1157558
Scope days of 2000-2010 were the best boating times of my life. such a good group and great runs. Fond memories.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Scope days of 2000-2010 were the best boating times of my life. such a good group and great runs. Fond memories.

Same here. Actually, for me until about 2014 or so running out of Dana with Tom, Chris and a few others. Tom sold Hot For teacher and I don't know if Chris still has his Fountain and I moved up north.

Headed out next Monday to Michigan to pick up this Formula Fastech 271 with 502 Mag and Whipple. A little smaller than I'm used to and a single but should be great for Tahoe and the Delta as well as other smaller lakes around here. I'm sure at some point I'll tow it south for a Catalina run.

thumbnail_IMG_2890.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3096.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3094.jpg

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score

View attachment 1157558

I have probably the cheapest full windshield, twin outboard cats in the country for sale. I don’t know what your budget is, but if you’re looking for OB cat, without killing the bank, I have a perfect one!

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I have probably the cheapest full windshield, twin outboard cats in the country for sale. I don’t know what your budget is, but if you’re looking for OB cat, without killing the bank, I have a perfect one!
My offer on the Florida cat was accepted yesterday. I’m lining up a Surveyor and flying out there once the storm situation passes. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll reach out.

Tank

Reaction score
Same here. Actually, for me until about 2014 or so running out of Dana with Tom, Chris and a few others. Tom sold Hot For teacher and I don't know if Chris still has his Fountain and I moved up north.

Headed out next Monday to Michigan to pick up this Formula Fastech 271 with 502 Mag and Whipple. A little smaller than I'm used to and a single but should be great for Tahoe and the Delta as well as other smaller lakes around here. I'm sure at some point I'll tow it south for a Catalina run.

View attachment 1157989

View attachment 1157990

View attachment 1157992
Good lookin' ride Al. Congrats. Drag it down and we'll go hit the islands like the old days.