WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Catalina Island Fun Run 2022....

Tank

Reaction score
I know a lot of you always say you want to run over to Catalina someday. Well, that day has been scheduled. We've been wanting to get over there again for a while but we always miss this event since it used to fall on the same weekend as the LOTO Cigarette Rendezvous. They changed the dates to Sept. this year. Which is way better for many reasons, namely, we can make it but also, the weather is better in Sept., the water is calmer and it's considered "off season". Word I'm hearing is theres going to be a lot of boats going. Don't think I've ever seen a cheaper registration fee for a run. Sign up, lets roll!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Sept such better water for sure. Heck, fog turned us around from island run early today.

Tank

Reaction score
Sept such better water for sure. Heck, fog turned us around from island run early today.
Late Aug - early Dec is always best time for us to run the ocean. Slight santa ana's lay the water down, warm up the temps...Best time for sure.

Springfield

Reaction score
Isn’t that the date of RDP Not a regatta or Eliminators?

sirbob

Reaction score
Haha - just think of all the money you saved!

For what its worth - as of right now - 11:44am - its socked in off the coast of San Clemente. Totally clear on the sand.

In the old days we only had Loran and would go in the fog all the time. What were we thinking 🤔

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

For what its worth - as of right now - 11:44am - it socked in off the coast of San Clemente. Totally clear on the sand.

In the old days we only had Loran and would go in the fog all the time. What were we thinking 🤔
Fog is so sketchy... it moves around and comes and goes this time of year when we transition from cold to warmer.

Yup, dinners on me tonight ... just got about $2k back in pocket ha.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Late Aug - early Dec is always best time for us to run the ocean. Slight santa ana's lay the water down, warm up the temps...Best time for sure.
Thats livin right there.... my best ocean speed run memories.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

For what its worth - as of right now - 11:44am - its socked in off the coast of San Clemente. Totally clear on the sand.

For a real exciting time try jumping off Crestline in a hang glider and getting socked in right after launch. I've learned some important lessons in life and patience is one of 'em.

Tank

Reaction score

True story. I'd run to the islands with zero heading, zero radio, zero nav equipment. Run out fog high enough you'd get about 4 miles visibility but you get half way out you couldn't see island or land. Just knew which way to point boat based off swell. knew if it got socked in I could follow the swell home. 😬😳

I look back like WTF!? Now we have a sweet garman that basically lays down a roadway path.

Tank

Reaction score
Isn’t that the date of RDP Not a regatta or Eliminators?
I text with RD a bit ago telling him he should roll to this. I don't think it conflicts. Not 100% sure though.

Dan's going, you should roll man!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
True story. I'd run to the islands with zero heading, zero radio, zero nav equipment. Run out fog high enough you'd get about 4 miles visibility but you get half way out you couldn't see island or land. Just knew which way to point boat based off swell. knew if it got socked in I could follow the swell home. 😬😳

I look back like WTF!? Now we have a sweet garman that basically lays down a roadway path.
DUDE, I can so relate.... my ass muscles still tighten just thinking about what I did coming up through my boat years.... Best one was right after I got that 30' Magic... I was [shall we say] just up real late [didn't go to sleep] while partying on buddies boat at slip... came up from below just before sunrise [everytime I get on his boat the sun comes up ha] and I look over and my Magic is right in next slip sitting there calling to me.... I looked at his girlfriend and say, wanna take it to Catalina.... she says when, I say now.... everyones asleep down below.... she says give me 5 minutes... we head out, stop at fuel dock at sunrise to grab ice/ beer & gas.... get to two Harbors at I dunno what time.... great flat run... I have zero nav equipment, my radios at home as is handheld Garmin gps.... I pull up to pier and dockmaster is yelling down to me, 'where'd you come from' and just shook his head looking at my dumb, no sleep ass.... I got the can though and a nice neighbor called water taxi so we could get to the bar and continue our party. Some days ya get lucky, right... drove back line of sight no issue.... Saddleback Mtn is my waypoint ha. Dumb Dumb Dumb

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I'd love to go. @Tank, do you tow down to Newport or launch out of Ventura or Oxnard? Do any of the 3 have lifts so I can keep my trailer dry?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Maybe Slight should be in bold font. Avalon in a Santa Ana can be brutal, as you likely already know.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Boom! Done, son!! See you in Catalina. Tell AJ you'll roll with them on the CC:D;)
What's wrong with the toon? it'd make the perfect party barge for all others involved. :)

sirbob

Reaction score
Haha - I remember one time crossing when it got real dark in front of us crossing in the fog.

Suddenly, I realize I’m about to plow broadside into a giant tanker!!!!

I know they had to see me on radar but never blew the horn or anything😳

Tank

Reaction score
I'd love to go. @Tank, do you tow down to Newport or launch out of Ventura or Oxnard? Do any of the 3 have lifts so I can keep my trailer dry?
Man, we tow down. Run from Channel Islands Harbor to Avalon is like 60 miles. It's not undoable it's just coming home is directly into the swell the whole way. Wheather happens to be bad or theres a big swell coming home Sunday, you F'd! I was thinking we'd just tow to marina del rey or long beach and run over but screw it, if we're gonna do it, I guess we'll do it right and launch out of Newport with everyone else. Maybe even come down night before so we're ready to go in the morning.

Tank

Reaction score
I'd love to go to this - as a passenger on somebodies ocean-worthy boat!
Lol

I can tie a knot, wipe stuff down and buy fuel :cool:
We need to talk Brett or Jason into running one of the big boats over! ;) I'd say you could roll with us Jerry but it's the 4 of us plus buddy from Tenn. that has the blue 42 is hopefully coming out with his chick to ride with us.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We need to talk Brett or Jason into running one of the big boats over! ;) I'd say you could roll with us Jerry but it's the 4 of us plus buddy from Tenn. that has the blue 42 is hopefully coming out with his chick to ride with us.
I'm waiting for the Brett VS Jason drag race.......
16 knots of pleasure!

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Man, we tow down. Run from Channel Islands Harbor to Avalon is like 60 miles. It's not undoable it's just coming home is directly into the swell the whole way. Wheather happens to be bad or theres a big swell coming home Sunday, you F'd! I was thinking we'd just tow to marina del rey or long beach and run over but screw it, if we're gonna do it, I guess we'll do it right and launch out of Newport with everyone else. Maybe even come down night before so we're ready to go in the morning.
Why not Sunset Aquatic HH? Unless your after Avalon specifically and not Two Harbors. Getting out of the Back Bay sucks.

HH entrance has been redone. No more Navy Jet boats keeping you sitting for an hr.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Why not Sunset Aquatic HH? Unless your after Avalon specifically and not Two Harbors. Getting out of the Back Bay sucks.

HH entrance has been redone. No more Navy Jet boats keeping you sitting for an hr.
Yeah, either that or Long Beach. Gotta make sure where ever we launch from we can keep the truck and trailer there for 3 days. I guess LB or HH would work. That idle from the dunes does suck donkey balls. I like Long Beach. 5 minute idle and you're off.

We'll see. The helicopter is going to meet up with the group in Newport and then run up the coast but it'll also fly over to catalina and do some aireal stuff over there too as long as the fogs not bad.

Guess we'll just see. We're registered, so just play it by ear where we launch. I really would rather not drive the extra 30-45 minutes to Newport and deal with the 45 minute idle out.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Yeah, either that or Long Beach. Gotta make sure where ever we launch from we can keep the truck and trailer there for 3 days. I guess LB or HH would work. That idle from the dunes does suck donkey balls. I like Long Beach. 5 minute idle and you're off.

We'll see. The helicopter is going to meet up with the group in Newport and then run up the coast but it'll also fly over to catalina and do some aireal stuff over there too as long as the fogs not bad.

Guess we'll just see. We're registered, so just play it by ear where we launch. I really would rather not drive the extra 30-45 minutes to Newport and deal with the 45 minute idle out.
The three day thing would be worth a call. Best of times what ever you guys do.

Tank

Reaction score
The three day thing would be worth a call. Best of times what ever you guys do.
Yeah, I'll figure it out before we roll. All these dudes gotta keep their rigs at the ramps for the weekend. I've done it before, but it's been a while.

Tank

Reaction score
Yeah, you don’t even lose cell service. Ain’t no thang. I don’t even have a radio in our boat.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Radios ???
It’s only a 15 min run
No that style marine radio has a transponder. We use them at the lodge in Alaska.

It’s like ads on airplanes but boats. You can see ships and anyone else using them on a 360 compass to avoid collisions etc. also makes getting rescuers to you easier as well. If you got fog issues it can help for people that don’t want a radar arch

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
No that style marine radio has a transponder. We use them at the lodge in Alaska.

It’s like ads on airplanes but boats. You can see ships and anyone else using them on a 360 compass to avoid collisions etc. also makes getting rescuers to you easier as well. If you got fog issues it can help for people that don’t want a radar arch
Well that sounds cool
Need to check them out

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Well that sounds cool
Need to check them out
The more baller setup is to have the AIS integrated into your gps chart plotter. But you can do this on the simple or even a hand held can have them.

Attachments

• 685E9879-81E5-47E8-A3ED-4354B1DBAB37.png
    685E9879-81E5-47E8-A3ED-4354B1DBAB37.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Hyatt just told me they don’t have parking space for my truck/trailer. ( Thursday night) Same story at double tree.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Haha - I remember one time crossing when it got real dark in front of us crossing in the fog.

Suddenly, I realize I’m about to plow broadside into a giant tanker!!!!

I know they had to see me on radar but never blew the horn or anything😳
Yup.... they see us way out on instruments but don't give a fuck bout our sea lice boats, ha.... just going across their bow way out in front looking over shoulder at that 8' wake comin at ya is pucker up time.... thats why I always stop before the tank lane, kill power, shot of tequila and grab clubs down below and hit a 9 iron off engine hatch.... figure it may be my last golf shot

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Newport Harbor is closed you bitchezzzzzz

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yeah, you don’t even lose cell service. Ain’t no thang. I don’t even have a radio in our boat.
Dont forget you need to get on channel 16 for water taxi.... but always able to ask a neighbor boat on can :cool:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Hyatt just told me they don’t have parking space for my truck/trailer. ( Thursday night) Same story at double tree.
Anyone needing to launch from Dunes/ Newport can simply call office and speak with Drew. Tell him I sent ya.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
You're right, what's done cannot be undone. To break or not break the seal. That is the question.
Cmon dude... we're all dead in 50 years.... put that sexy lil bitch in the water and let her enjoy what she was made to do.... Jump jump jump....you'll never regret salt usage.... never. But all those early posts about that fancy trailer and what wheels to choose, ha.... thats is another story.... right fellas.... you can forget about a fancy trailer round these parts.

Kevin Schulte

Reaction score
I don't post often but when I do... Dan and Tank if you drive down to LB to launch your boats to go to Catalina which is in your backyard from Channel Island I give up on you Tailer Queens? OMG! Don't call don't write!!! Suck it up buttercup and run your boat for more than an hour in some swell. There is only a small section where your cell phone doesn't work or radio, but don't worry 200 container ships pass through that passage a day, somebody from Hong Kong hauling rubber dog shit will see you.

I guarantee you the ride of your life when you leave Catalina on Sunday headed back to CI. The quartering is perfect and the Cig just eats it up and says "More Throttle Please" Dan this is where your 42 will just pull harder and harder and ask for more. Oh yea don't worry about the stress cracks on the deck just below the windshield in the groove, there just cosmetic and means you don't have your chicken strips anymore. Dan ask Tank what chicken strips are? You probably have them on your motorcycle!

Sorry boys, you been called out.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I don't post often but when I do... Dan and Tank if you drive down to LB to launch your boats to go to Catalina which is in your backyard from Channel Island I give up on you Tailer Queens? OMG! Don't call don't write!!! Suck it up buttercup and run your boat for more than an hour in some swell. There is only a small section where your cell phone doesn't work or radio, but don't worry 200 container ships pass through that passage a day, somebody from Hong Kong hauling rubber dog shit will see you.

I guarantee you the ride of your life when you leave Catalina on Sunday headed back to CI. The quartering is perfect and the Cig just eats it up and says "More Throttle Please" Dan this is where your 42 will just pull harder and harder and ask for more. Oh yea don't worry about the stress cracks on the deck just below the windshield in the groove, there just cosmetic and means you don't have your chicken strips anymore. Dan ask Tank what chicken strips are? You probably have them on your motorcycle!

Sorry boys, you been called out.
12 posts in 12 years, impressive.