WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Catalina Polar Bear

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
I know it might be a little early to start talking about the Polar Bear Race. However, a few ski racers along with myself would like ot put a little organization in this race and maybe attract a few new skiers and teams. A few things I was thinking about adding:
1) Start and Finish Boat
2) Small trophies such as a hat/t-shirt or case of beer to the winners
3) See if the Maya will let us use their docks, pool and bar for a get together after the race
4) Make the Open class skiers or world team skiers ski on a trainer ski
5) 21' boat limit
6) give novice or other classes a head start

Let me know what everyone thinks. It would be great to attract more people and get ski racing participation back on track here in the United States.

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
Sounds like fun! I always liked doing the polar bear run even when it was on New Years day. I am interested, but I don't think I will have a boat to ski behind. I don't know how much I can do, but I'm happy to help if I can. If anyone is looking for a skier I'm game.:thumbsup

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Dont know if i will be a skier or in the boat. :thumbsup:thumbsup

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Just be careful of the "organization" aspect or you will have insurance, Coast Guard and expenses to deal with, not to mention a chance of liability.

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
There si no liabiltiy if it is just a friendly ski ride. It isnt a race its jsut a frienldy ski ride to and from catalina to see who can do it the quickest. its not a race and I am not putting it on. HAHA!
We jsut need some suggestions on how to make it better.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
There si no liabiltiy if it is just a friendly ski ride. It isnt a race its jsut a frienldy ski ride to and from catalina to see who can do it the quickest. its not a race and I am not putting it on. HAHA!
We jsut need some suggestions on how to make it better.

Hmm,, better talk to the ski racing attorney, I am afraid once you "organize" anything, someone could use it against you.

We kicked this can around last year,, I am just trying to help keep you out of a tight spot. Make it more like the "notta regatta"

boat527

Reaction score
Hmm,, better talk to the ski racing attorney, I am afraid once you "organize" anything, someone could use it against you.

We kicked this can around last year,, I am just trying to help keep you out of a tight spot. Make it more like the "notta regatta"

Troy/Barry

We've been doing a NYD blast for over 20 years in Portland, never advertise it, just show up.
Do all the " organizing" in the parking lot just before we go. Heck, the coast guard even shows up to make sure we're "legal" ... get a start boat with some loose rules and a flag, say GO!...10 bucks a boat, winner take all. Did I say that?

Wish I could be there, have fun

D

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Troy/Barry

We've been doing a NYD blast for over 20 years in Portland, never advertise it, just show up.
Do all the " organizing" in the parking lot just before we go. Heck, the coast guard even shows up to make sure we're "legal" ... get a start boat with some loose rules and a flag, say GO!...10 bucks a boat, winner take all. Did I say that?

Wish I could be there, have fun

D

Hey Dave

I was just trying to remind Troy,, same as last year, that he probably does not want to have his name involved as being an event organizer.

I can't even remember how long the Long Beach New Years deal has occurred.

boat527

Reaction score
Hey Dave

I was just trying to remind Troy,, same as last year, that he probably does not want to have his name involved as being an event organizer.

I can't even remember how long the Long Beach New Years deal has occurred.

I get it, just my .02......

Run it,

Wide Open Throttle

Reaction score
Count me in.... 21' F2 boat- I'm sure I already have a team- or perhaps we go double -up. Give me a call CycloneRacing, I will be glad to help out with any "non-planning".;)

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
We did a "race" in $500 cars from
Ensenada to mikes sky ranch in Mexico. Had shirts, a tech sheet, small prizes, a course and everything. The back of the shirts say "it's not a race" ;)

Still the most fun i think I've ever had in a car. Lol

Back on subject, if anyone wants to ski behind a fishing boat let me know ;)

Last edited:

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
There's already some preliminary plans for another Catalina race in 2012 -- organized, but not in January. Probably late September...for 21' boats and under.

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
Are there any developments with this "gathering"?

skiracer321

Reaction score
If I can find a ride I will do it! When is the date?

GS - 321

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
You can PM me any dates or details if this is being kept on the DL. Just lookin to go on a ski run with some other people. :champagne:

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
What date works for everyone? How about Saturday january 7th or January 14th?
Should I talk to the Maya Hotel about a gathering at their pool cantina or should we just go to the yard House after the race?

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
I think either works for me. I say meet up at the yard house.

SkierTodd

Reaction score
Does the Polar Bear race date vary -depending on the weather?

Has a date been set yet?

Haiger

Reaction score
Crazyhippy Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiger
I vote for the 14th and Yard House!

Who asked you? Do you even know how to get to Catalina?

:D All i have to is follow the boat! isnt that how ski racing work the guy with the fastest boat wins?

And what are you laughing at Carl? :D Dana is looking for a ride an you have a boat looks like a good match to me!

Thanks SkierTodd that is nice of you to buy the Beers!

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
Sounds like the 14th works for everyone and Yard House is the choice for the after race gathering. What time should we start? I vote for 9:00 as the Yard house opens at 11:00 I think. Hopefully we will be back by then.:D

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
I talked to my driver from last Catalina today, and he is ready to go. I know its not a 21 but i need all the help i can get. Thanks Todd and Charlie I really appreciate the help if something doesn't work out I will let you know. See you on the 14th!!

skinut

Reaction score
If someones looking for a skier and Observer we are open for that weekend. Snow skiing the week before and after for Snow Summit ski Patrol but will be open for the 14th. If you need a skier Iam in. Thanks TJ:party:

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
I haven't skied since Catalina, I haven't got the boat wet since 4th of July. Maybe I'll convince the old man to go for a boat ride while i hold on and see what happens...Key word MAYBE

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
I haven't been to the yard house in a while. Does anyone know if the slips in front are public still ?

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
The slips directly in front are not public but the long dock along the side of the harbor is public and we parked there in years past.

work2ski

Reaction score
Amazingly calm today @ 1:00pm. Will it hold?

Attachments

• IMG00167-20120109-1208.jpg
    IMG00167-20120109-1208.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 326

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Did today answer your question? Saturday is supposed to be more like Monday though so hopefully the weather bozo's are right. Not sayin they will be just hoping.

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
Hopefully it's a little overcast. I hate being able to see the island as soon as you leave the Long Beach gate.

work2ski

Reaction score
Boat #23
David Hein Skiing, John Stewart Driving, Tim Jackson OB

Haiger

Reaction score
i am in, skiing dbl up with Mr Anderson behind a Nordic. See you all in the morning. Dont be late!!

First round at the yard house is on CycloneRacing!!

MarkC

Reaction score
Chad Bolten Skiing
Mark Clifton Ob'r
Howard Hoggins Driver

CycloneRacing

Reaction score
First round at the Yard House is on me. I just got a new Credit Card thanks to Haiger. I would need a small fortune to buy drinks for this group. Lets just say the last one to the Yard House buys drinks. See everyone in the morning.

SkierTodd

Reaction score
I will be there. Boat 619. Todd Lackner skier, Todd Barille Driver, Ty Barille Observer. I found out today that I will have 3 navigators too?

My only boat and I have to apologize in advance... its a 27 foot Cobra, its our Stock Day Cruiser Boat. We are out for fun and experience and of course a few beers afterwards.

See you in the morning.

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
I'll be out there with this boat. I know it's supposed to be small boats but what the hell it's just me skiin so nobody has to worry.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326505493.376892.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326505493.376892.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 221

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Have fun and stay safe out there, I am not going to make it.