WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Catalina Ski Race

Joe mama

Reaction score
Haven't heard much about it this year! Pretty sure it's this weekend.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Just got back from lunch in Seal Beach and saw some nice boats cruising around. I wish I had my phone to have taken some pictures.

micro525

Reaction score
See you guys there.... will be on the back of the Queen Mary with the #10 boat fans.

boat527

Reaction score
Usually not the greatest quality but the live feed will have to suffice for me... Im up in Washington..

Got to go to the WORLDS tho.. This will be one of the best "small boat" years at Catalina..since the old days. There are a lot of Aussies who stayed. One of them is the Strike Force boat ( twin #6s on a 21)

LONG BEACH FEED: HTTP://USTRE.AM/1WIDW

Strike F1.jpg

rvrrun

Reaction score
I saw a boat cruise by the shop (#90-something, and couldn't snap a pic), makes sense that it's headed there.

Is the feed on the web, or Kodi, or?

boat527

Reaction score
I saw a boat cruise by the shop (#90-something, and couldn't snap a pic), makes sense that it's headed there.

Is the feed on the web, or Kodi, or?

I got the link from the Catalina Web page.. Someone will no doubt Facebook Live it in some fashon..

Big D

Reaction score
Where's the best place to view the start from the shoreline? Is the finish line still in front of the hotel or the Queen Mary?

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
Where's the best place to view the start from the shoreline? Is the finish line still in front of the hotel or the Queen Mary?
Best place to view the start is on the water. You can view it from the back of the queen Mary.

BAS

Reaction score
What time do you need to be there? It will be my first time seeing it from shore. Is the queen Mary packed?

BAS

Reaction score
7-8am is boat parade and DL drop off.
8:53am start.
Queen Mary is a great view of start/finish.

Thank you! I call the qm and they said they open the boat at 10:00, so I questioned her and she hung up :rolleyes

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Haig by a mile.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Boat #121 must be owned by a G.I. doc.

Boat #8 looked like a Magnitude.

boat527

Reaction score
Dude on the livestream needs to tune up them skills

That was painful.. I appreciate the effort by LBBSC but Oh my! I almost had to go and take some seasick pills on top of turning off the sound.

It would be hard to commentate on a sport you dont know and stand on a rocking boat to boot.

Gulley and Gratz were hauling..

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Boat #121 must be owned by a G.I. doc.

Boat #8 looked like a Magnitude.

Yes, boat 8 is a Shockwave 34 Magnatude...

the Live feed was a great addition. The announcer did a decent job, especialy if he isn't familiar with the race

rvrrun

Reaction score
Small boats get a 7 minute Head start and times are adjusted at the end accordingly. Todd Haig won the race again behind the big Nordic :thumbsup

Was that boat#1? Very nice boat.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Boat 191 is Randy Davis's big Nordic pulling Todd Haig.

I saw another boat that looked like a Nordic, but it was #1. Congrats to everyone who participated, that must take a toll on the body.

...my wife said "I'd love to do it if I was better on a single"

Taboma

Reaction score
I saw another boat that looked like a Nordic, but it was #1. Congrats to everyone who participated, that must take a toll on the body.

...my wife said "I'd love to do it if I was better on a single"

Yup, the # 1 Nordic 42' was pulling Katelin Wendt in women's open with Greg Foster driving. Unfortunately looking at the results it appears two of the Australian women finished ahead.

Kenny D

Reaction score
By anyone's terms.... these people are ANIMALS....impressive!!!

TCHB

Reaction score
I wonder if they could no wrap around the back how it change the race??

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
just look back in history before wrapping up. The best and most devoted skiers still won...

Taboma

Reaction score
I noticed that Strike Force was the only entrant in the "SuperClass" division, was this class created to encourage / allow this boat to participate ?

Also I thought it odd there were only two "Men's Open" contestants this year and that last year's winner # 11 Mr. Warpath (Mike Avila) was towing a Juniors Boy.

Although I almost got sea sick from some of the live camera action :D, I enjoyed the coverage none the less :thumbsup :thumbsup

LB247XS

Reaction score
I noticed that Strike Force was the only entrant in the "SuperClass" division, was this class created to encourage / allow this boat to participate ?

Also I thought it odd there were only two "Men's Open" contestants this year and that last year's winner # 11 Mr. Warpath (Mike Avila) was towing a Juniors Boy.

Although I almost got sea sick from some of the live camera action :D, I enjoyed the coverage none the less :thumbsup :thumbsup
There was a super class last year so No it was not created for STRIKEFORCE as for WARPATH I heard his original skier got injured on practice run ..do not quote me on this info I just saw info on facebook etc.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Strike Force is a bad ass rig for sure. Very well thought out, purpose built boat

Most of the Australian ski race boats are "purpose built". I believe Gerry Gulley built this one with the intent of running it at the worlds, but they did not run it until the last race, once they already had locked up the 1st place position. They had some concern about a possible part failure, but they went on to win the 4th race with it as well, and then of course made a nice showing at the Catalina race the other day. I do understand the boat went into limp mode and they actually had to stop and reset it, not sure how much time that cost them or if it could have possibly changed the outcome. Judging by Todd's time of 52 minutes, the water yesterday was far from a smooth, small boat race. Helicopter video of the Strike Force boat showed a bunch of air time!