WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Which handsome guy are you Tommy?

Reactions: DLC

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Damn Tommy, We didn't know which way to go today so we went South, sorry we missed you and that little 'ol Miller.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Great video Tommy and an amazing day out for you adn your friends. It was good to see you this evening at the rod run. Will have to meet up when we are both in town next.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I'm impressed that you were all wearing vests.
Absolutely.
I always wear vests underway and so does everyone in my boat. Always. No exceptions.
Things happen fast in a 19’ boat at 80MPH
Drifting or idling along I take it off.

My flatties and my hydro all had tethers as well.
But I have the parachute vest, shorts, helmet and helmets restraints for that.
I keep holding onto those thinking I’m getting another hydro someday. Lol.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I see some cheek flap going on...

That tells me 80mph fo sure. 👍🏼
the vid in post 4 shows the Speedo at the end.
She stopped filming at 80, but it’ll run that pretty easy and get there pretty quick even with 3 people and a cooler and chairs and beach stuff all stuffed in the boat.
The recall showed 82.
I’ve had it creeping up almost to 90 MPH (86+ on recall) before, with a fresh wear ring and just me in the boat.
Way back when Tom and Josh cut the back of the boat flat, and installed the shoe and plate and reset the intake I put the new jet configuration in with the droop and hyd place, stainless A and the steering wheel trim buttons. Plus the ramp loader in the intake.
it literally became an entirely different boat.
It went from a cool looking shiny hot Rod to a serious 2 handed “not fucking around” piece!
👍👍😎

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
the vid in post 4 shows the Speedo at the end.
She stopped filming at 80, but it’ll run that pretty easy and get there pretty quick even with 3 people and a cooler and chairs and beach stuff all stuffed in the boat.
The recall showed 82.
I’ve had it creeping up almost to 90 MPH (86+ on recall) before, with a fresh wear ring and just me in the boat.
Way back when Tom and Josh cut the back of the boat flat, and installed the shoe and plate and reset the intake I put the new jet configuration in with the droop and hyd place, stainless A and the steering wheel trim buttons. Plus the ramp loader in the intake.
it literally became an entirely different boat.
It went from a cool looking shiny hot Rod to a serious 2 handed “not fucking around” piece!
👍👍😎

I know from riding my Harley, pretty much Exactly when the cheek flap kicks in. 😎

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The Miller sounding good! Something, to me at least, about a jet on glass singing. To me it's better than the big boats. Maybe because I can identify with it more? Well, not 80...not yet at least;)
I always warm it up before I go out. Check everything including timing and advance.
It idles at 900 when warmed up with the 2 4150 750’s I built from scratch. Holley bodies, billet plates, and duel feed side hung floats that I made by eliminating transfer tubes and using primary bowls on all 4 ends. (I plugged the holes with SBC oil galley plugs)
I made the fuel block, and I make all my own hoses.
The distributor is a MSD R2R with no vacuum, instead of locking the advance like some jet boats, I used the MSD tuning parts to make it like18* mechanical advance all in by 2000 RPM for 34* total. So it starts with 16 and idles the same. Basically as soon as you give it gas it goes all in. I think that’s a much better option than locking it in and abusing starters and stuff.
(I think my starter is at least 25 years old? Stone stock starter, but I also run a 2nd solenoid with a one wire system to the starter itself. I think that makes a HUGE difference)
I did clean the starter once about 10 years ago and painted it yellow…

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I always warm it up before I go out. Check everything including timing and advance.
It idles at 900 when warmed up with the 2 4150 750’s I built from scratch. Holley bodies, billet plates, and duel feed side hung floats that I made by eliminating transfer tubes and using primary bowls on all 4 ends. (I plugged the holes with SBC oil galley plugs)
I made the fuel block, and I make all my own hoses.
The distributor is a MSD R2R with no vacuum, instead of locking the advance like some jet boats, I used the MSD tuning parts to make it like18* mechanical advance all in by 2000 RPM for 34* total. So it starts with 16 and idles the same. Basically as soon as you give it gas it goes all in. I think that’s a much better option than locking it in and abusing starters and stuff.
(I think my starter is at least 25 years old? Stone stock starter, but I also run a 2nd solenoid with a one wire system to the starter itself. I think that makes a HUGE difference)
I did clean the starter once about 10 years ago and painted it yellow…

I have an old 496...4.310 x 4.25. Single 850...all old stuff, like the 89 Commander it's in. I played with weights and springs, and it's all in at 2500. Total is 36...but I have a much more mild setup. Time always seems to get in the way, so she's sat for years. Hoping this winter to build another long block for her. She doesn't go out much, so may do something more aggressive. Will still be a factory block, but this time with aluminum heads and maybe dual quads on a tunnel. Guy up the road has a huffer setup and chiller, needs to be gone through, but he's a bit too proud of it right now. I'm patient though...so we'll see.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I have an old 496...4.310 x 4.25. Single 850...all old stuff, like the 89 Commander it's in. I played with weights and springs, and it's all in at 2500. Total is 36...but I have a much more mild setup. Time always seems to get in the way, so she's sat for years. Hoping this winter to build another long block for her. She doesn't go out much, so may do something more aggressive. Will still be a factory block, but this time with aluminum heads and maybe dual quads on a tunnel. Guy up the road has a huffer setup and chiller, needs to be gone through, but he's a bit too proud of it right now. I'm patient though...so we'll see.

👍
My regret is not going bigger when I put together this combo.
It’s a 4 bolt Chevy 454 MIV block (that I spent a day searching through my old machine shop guys core room with calipers and bore gauges to find the perfect candidate)
Nothing else is Chevy.
So we started on the block, I didnt stud the mains because I wanted bolt options for different windage trays. Line honed, then decked square, then bored .030 and honed with plates.
So it has a forged internally balanced Scat crank (I spent a day tuning up the oil holes before polishing). H beam full floating rods with cap screws, not bolts. SPR slugs that are just over 9:1 with the open chambered Brodix heads. They’re #1’s with rectangle ports and raised exhaust ports.
It started off with a Milidon oil system but that proved ineffective as it would aerate the oil and drop pressure at extended rpm’s.
So that went away and I went with a Canton system.
But it’s got a scraper, tray, and even the oil pump surge baffle under the pan.
I’m a big believer in giving engines what they need to live with the horsepower they deliver, or more accurately allowing them to deliver that horsepower for extended periods.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
👍
My regret is not going bigger when I put together this combo.
It’s a 4 bolt Chevy 454 MIV block (that I spent a day searching through my old machine shop guys core room with calipers and bore gauges to find the perfect candidate)
Nothing else is Chevy.
So we started on the block, I didnt stud the mains because I wanted bolt options for different windage trays. Line honed, then decked square, then bored .030 and honed with plates.
So it has a forged internally balanced Scat crank (I spent a day tuning up the oil holes before polishing). H beam full floating rods with cap screws, not bolts. SPR slugs that are just over 9:1 with the open chambered Brodix heads. They’re #1’s with rectangle ports and raised exhaust ports.
It started off with a Milidon oil system but that proved ineffective as it would aerate the oil and drop pressure at extended rpm’s.
So that went away and I went with a Canton system.
But it’s got a scraper, tray, and even the oil pump surge baffle under the pan.
I’m a big believer in giving engines what they need to live with the horsepower they deliver, or more accurately allowing them to deliver that horsepower for extended periods.

It's easy peasy to build a granade. Building something that's gonna last takes some skilz. 👍🏼

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We've always felt "skin moving" typically occurs, in reasonably fit people, at about 80 mph. Although, I've seen some where that number can be substantially lower. Lol. Good vid.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We all know Jet botes are not capable of anything over 60. :D.

Love the old Millers, always wanted one.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
They're still shoes...lol😄

True.
I also beach on rocks and sometimes wait a day (or longer) to wipe the old slug down!
I put the carpet in it, I’ll walk on it if I please! Lol
Almost killed me when I paid like $80 for that home depot carpet 13 years or so ago!

I did the seats at the same time years back. Bought 2 CP bucket shells, and JBP Tom made the custom bench glass shell.
I replaced and reglassed the stringer risers and fabbed up all new stainless seat mounts with all stainless fasteners. I plugged up all the old stringer holes then too. Then once I had the mounts all finished I had the shells covered old school at an outfit in Redding.
Then I resined every piece of exposed wood for days. That wood will NEVER rot! Lol
Then I installed it all.
I had to address the seats because with the added HP and speed the wood screw mounted lounge seating was akin to sitting on milk crates. Severely inadequate and dangerous. Now you can shake the entire boat and trailer by grabbing any seat and it’s solid.
As is evident I also put the bench in the back as a needed firewall. At that stage of the boat’s progression I felt strongly that the engine area needed to be isolated to a greater degree from the passenger area.

FD11D805-4070-4FD2-8F37-A001DA9F5455.jpeg
CBB1DDFB-B80E-410B-B064-FCC784E8B88D.jpeg
04B8D5E0-459D-4375-8B1F-14BE6D3E3519.jpeg
4D72816C-0C50-428C-B49A-8CFF4B79E845.jpeg
CF2FEF2A-20C5-4FA5-9D4A-110918122E86.jpeg

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Great video Tommy and an amazing day out for you adn your friends. It was good to see you this evening at the rod run. Will have to meet up when we are both in town next.
They’re from Vernal UT.
I’ve worked with him for many many years.
So they sprung for a winter spot on the beach at Crazy Horse and drug their big 5th wheel down.
So far they are in heaven!!
In 2 weeks we’re going to drag his surf boat down from Utah.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Damn Tommy, We didn't know which way to go today so we went South, sorry we missed you and that little 'ol Miller.

Hey G!
That’s funny because I was telling them that I’d try to get my buddy Gary to give us / them a lake tour one day on his pontoon!
I’ll hit you up in a couple weeks.
We’re probably gonna do Pomona as well.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Epic.

Nothing like the sound of a well tuned big block on the pipe.

Glad to see you are healthy and doing well Tommy!

Jealous! What a beautiful day!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’ve toyed with going with a blower.
But I decided I’ll wait until one of them beats me…

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
True.
I also beach on rocks and sometimes wait a day (or longer) to wipe the old slug down!
I put the carpet in it, I’ll walk on it if I please! Lol
Almost killed me when I paid like $80 for that home depot carpet 13 years or so ago!

I did the seats at the same time years back. Bought 2 CP bucket shells, and JBP Tom made the custom bench glass shell.
I replaced and reglassed the stringer risers and fabbed up all new stainless seat mounts with all stainless fasteners. I plugged up all the old stringer holes then too. Then once I had the mounts all finished I had the shells covered old school at an outfit in Redding.
Then I resined every piece of exposed wood for days. That wood will NEVER rot! Lol
Then I installed it all.
I had to address the seats because with the added HP and speed the wood screw mounted lounge seating was akin to sitting on milk crates. Severely inadequate and dangerous. Now you can shake the entire boat and trailer by grabbing any seat and it’s solid.
As is evident I also put the bench in the back as a needed firewall. At that stage of the boat’s progression I felt strongly that the engine area needed to be isolated to a greater degree from the passenger area.

View attachment 1165555 View attachment 1165557 View attachment 1165558 View attachment 1165559 View attachment 1165560
Nice.
I was gonna assume that was your shop/ barn whatever in Redding then I actually read the whole post. 😁

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Honestly that hull is perfectly happy at 80+
If I did more HP I’d absolutely re configure the jet to take advantage of it, then I’d have to think about moving the entire jet back to accommodate a jet away system. With the shoe and loader as it is shut down is a pay attention moment.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Nice.
I was gonna assume that was your shop/ barn whatever in Redding then I actually read the whole post. 😁
Can you believe it’s been over 8 years since I left that property?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
We all know Jet botes are not capable of anything over 60. :D.

Love the old Millers, always wanted one.
Yep!
Like II tell people “it ain’t your grandpas jet bote!”
Lol
I was at hookie day on the delta maybe 2017? when a member here asked me “at any point did you ever stop and think maybe that’d be money better spent on a non jet boat?”
I said “well I had a flattie and a hydro at the same time so there is that…”
It was a good laugh moment!
What can I say. I like hot rods.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Shit I just remembered I haven’t changed the oil in 2 years? Maybe 3?
I got a case of Brad Penn delivered a few months ago. Guess I’ll do that next month.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
They’re from Vernal UT.
I’ve worked with him for many many years.
So they sprung for a winter spot on the beach at Crazy Horse and drug their big 5th wheel down.
So far they are in heaven!!
In 2 weeks we’re going to drag his surf boat down from Utah.

Wow, sounds like you guys are going to have a great winter. Let me know if you have time to include me on one of your adventures of Tommy’s Tours. 👍

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like you guys are going to have a great winter. Let me know if you have time to include me on one of your adventures of Tommy’s Tours. 👍
I’ll hit you up next time Tim
I’m always game for somebody to help me launch!

It sounds like we’ll both be around the same time next month