WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CAV PLATES

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I Have a cav plate that came with my 20.5" Campbell as extra parts.
I would like to install the cav plate it has eight turn buckles and it's open in the middle 16".
The boat bottom has a 4" recess.
the transom has a slight radius 2" from edge to center
so it is not straight across like a Flat bottom?
Would this radius cause the boat to fishtail at high speeds
I had thought of selling it, and just use the Bennett hyd that is already on the Cruiser.

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Paul, I am not familiar with the Campbell bottoms but I added cav plates to my Spectra. It was originally a V-drive and came from the factory with no plates. I could not have a v-drive without cav palates. With the power you are running I doubt you will have any issues with the boat coming out of the water. My buddy has a Spectra 20 as well and driving both his and mine (similar engines to yours) full up and down on the plates changes attitude a little but nothing like a flat like you are used to. I do notice a big difference when turning mine though, I have an override pedal set up and if I burry the plates while turning I can spin that pig around pretty dam good.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Cliff, no one will see this tank come out of the water except on a trailer.
I almost sunk my AquaCraft stabbing the cav to hard,to long at high speeds into a turn. LOL
It is very Doubtful the Campbell's rudder will come out of the water in a turn.
This cav plate assemble came as extra parts with my CampBell.
I was just inquiring how would a cav plate with this transom with a slight radius 2" from edge to center be compared to
the Bennett hydraulic 2ft tabs that are already on the boat.

cav.jpg
cav1.jpg
cav2.jpg

Last edited:

alohajeff

Reaction score
That mini plate over the rudder was probably installed to help prevent cavitation of the rudder. I thought about doing something similar to that plate to my 24XS but never did... my new build will have full cav plates. I don't think the radius on the transom would concern me as much as that "open" area on the cav plates you are thinking about installing. If you lose that coverage over the rudder it might not want to turn to the right at all.

On my 24XS the rudder cavitation is TERRIBLE turning to the right. So bad that when I've got somebody on a tube that doesn't want a wild ride but still wants to get wet I simply input some right hand turn on the steering wheel and the rudder cavitation throws a 50' roost behind the boat. I'm hoping the full cav plates will increase the pressure over the top of the rudder and prevent the blow out the "old boat" has.

Aloha

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
AZGEO is a proverbial expert on v-drive cruisers. Hit him up.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
What I was thinking of doing is keeping the fixed mini plate, but cutting it to the space of the adjustable cav plates, or just leaving it as is.
I keep reminding my self of the saying my dad used to say," If it ain't broke don't fix it"
It would be nice to know what is the difference of the the two set up's.
Hey alohajeff, imaging skiing behind it when the rudder cavitation throws a 50' roost behind the boat. LOL Wettr the bettr LOL

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
After almost a month I'am going to keep the Bennett hyd.
I have been taking apart the Cav plate assembly so I can sell it.
It has the foot control rod from pedal to arm on cav assembly.
I should have it on the parts section shorty.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I got your message Mouzer, Thanks
The Cavitation plate assembly is all ready disassembled
The chrome is in Pretty good shape, slight signs of ageing, a couple blocks have spots
The SS Hose is 16" long with adapter to plate
The assembly is broke down for easy pick up.
SOLD Asking $500.00
cav hardware 3.jpg
cav hardware 2.jpg
cav hose 1.jpg

Last edited: