WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cavitation Plate Actuator Wiring Question

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Guessing that an electric linear actuator needs three (3) wires, one (1) positive up, one (1) positive down and one (1) ground.

Also guessing that the multi colored wires are the (+) up and down with the black being the ground. Any ideas as to how this black used to be connected?

Pulled the floors on the Spectra today and found out at least part of the inop cav plate issue.

DSCN0184.JPG

nrbr

Reaction score
Have you used the boat yet??!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Have you used the boat yet??!

Yes, had it out last month here at Mohave. Replacing some AN fittings (30 years of river water has corroded the interiors of the AN 'funnels') and reduced cooling water flow. Thought I'd replace those this weekend but no vise or soft jaws here at river house so I'm taking the hoses home and replacing 8 or 10 AN fittings.

Now, what do you know about linear actuator wiring? Thinking that there should be a tab or ringlet style fitting on the motor housing for a ground connection but none that I can find.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Check your switch. Direction change takes place up there. DPDT switch or DPCO. Check for DPDT internally wired for polarity reversing.

Check switch to see IF, there are 2 power in sides, with the polarity reversed, and one out (center) to the actuator.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I have no idea but here's mine. It's wired through a relay.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436053407.573991.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436053416.673703.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436053425.575342.jpg

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Scratch that. There's 2 relays. One on each side. [emoji15]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436054842.812182.jpg

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Thanx Dave, thinking that since yours is mounted to the engine block, that's it's ground path...thru the block.

Mine is mounted low, to a stringer mounted bracket so I'm sure that I'll need to run that black ground wire to the actuator somehow. Next, I suppose I should crawl under the dash and look around for some relays wired to the dash switch.

Actuator looks the same in both pix and both have two (2) molded-in wires at the same location.

I'm on track...just gotta continue the hunt for proper connections and operation.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I believe those actuators are pretty common. I believe Wilkes told me he used relays cause it would speed up the plates a bit. I know I can just tap my switch and I notice the difference.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Or is the the third/ground wire unnecessary?

Maybe the two wires are pos and neg and the relays are to switch the polarity back and forth depending on whether you are opening or closing the hatch?

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Or is the the third/ground wire unnecessary?

Maybe the two wires are pos and neg and the relays are to switch the polarity back and forth depending on whether you are opening or closing the hatch?

HATCH? WHAT HATCH? Please re-read the thread title, view the posts and pictures, then please see the Manager about a full refund of your post worthiness...

:D

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
HATCH? WHAT HATCH? Please re-read the thread title, view the posts and pictures, then please see the Manager about a full refund of your post worthiness...

:D
Hatch, plate, who gives a fuck? The actuator doesn't :party:

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
it all happens at the rocker switch . DPDT toggle/rocker switch, has 6 connections on the back . Connect two 10 ga wires to the two center connectors, and run about 15' of those wires down to the motor . Back to the switch, connect power (thru a 20 AMP breaker) to the 'upper left' connector . Now CROSS over the switch bottom and install a jumper wire from that 'upper left' to the 'lower right' connector . This is your 'positive side' of the system . Now connect another 10 ga wire from ground to the 'upper right' connector, then jump it to across to the 'lower left' connector . The power and ground come in thru the top right and top left connectors, and are switched on to the motor when the switch control is activated . When the switch is activated in the opposite direction, the 'crossed wires' reverse the polarity and the motor moves in the opposite direction . Run a good Cole Hersey 20 amp toggle, with 10 ga wires and you will not need relays .

Prime Marine

Custom rigging
Reaction score
Guessing that an electric linear actuator needs three (3) wires, one (1) positive up, one (1) positive down and one (1) ground.

Also guessing that the multi colored wires are the (+) up and down with the black being the ground. Any ideas as to how this black used to be connected?

Pulled the floors on the Spectra today and found out at least part of the inop cav plate issue.

View attachment 417455

I thought you knew everything???:headscratch:

Rickybobby

Reaction score
CC
Did you get this figured out ??? Does a liner actuator require a relay or can it be wired straight off the switch??

I am about 3/4 of the way through a rewire job on Jr's new boat and I had the same or similar question.

rb

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 42

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Cancel that last question. I reread the thread and it looks like Azgeo answered it. Thanks AZ.
rb

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Need help with the liner actuator. Thinking I need a new relay but not sure where to find one??? It was working fine when tested on the trailer but not now???

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Need help with the liner actuator. Thinking I need a new relay but not sure where to find one??? It was working fine when tested on the trailer but not now???

Based on Jr's other thread about the new Campbell 'submarine' model...he has plenty to do...

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Ture dat CC but the electrical was my deal, I had nuthin to do with the "auto reverse" issue although it was a wild ride !!!! we laughed, we cried, then we drank a beer and said F it!!!!! Not sure why the cav plate control stopped working ??? beside the blown fuse??? I had tested it several times on the trailer and it was working initially but then stopped??? Thought I would start by replacing the relay and see WTF happens??? Any help ??

ps
thanks for not beating the crap out of jr. he feels bad enough and its gonna cost a bit.... he just needs a break with this boat !!! lol!!!

We will put it back together correctly with additional safety collars so this crap won't happen again. We are kicking around the reverse valve body on the tranny and the better shifter with lock outs to prevent further under water adventures!!!