WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CCSD voted for full time distance learning last night

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Here in Boulder City/Vegas the school district voted for full time distance learning. Luckily we have the ability to put our child in private school which will be normal school hours. So what is it in your state and what are you guys planning to do?

Singleton

Reaction score
Live in Carlsbad. CA told our district what we have to do. Which was not what out superintendent wanted.
Once the state allows us to open, parents have 3 choices = online only, hybrid, in-person.

wife and I voted in-person and only time will tell if that occurs. So we start Aug 26 online. Might hire a private tutor (college kid studying education) to help us out, since mom and I are not teachers and work from home (usually on conference calls 4-6 hours a day).

Thought about private school, but the gov order was for public and private schools, so that is not an option.

Boat 405

Reaction score
How the fuck are people supposed to go back to work with their kids out of school. Private school, Nanny, or stay at home parent? Not everyone has this flexibility...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
How the fuck are people supposed to go back to work with their kids out of school. Private school, Nanny, or stay at home parent? Not everyone has this flexibility...
...that is a major part of this fiasco. I work from home, but can only teach my kids blue collar bs. My wife is a teacher, but may have to be teaching from home...and our internet sucks, and all three kids and wife have to do stuff via computer.

They are trying to set it up here where teachers will be online from their classroom. That helps out us a bit. My youngest is 12 though...and I can schedule stuff here or close by...other parents don't have those options. A lot of well meaning parents cannot afford private schools, with 2 parents working to meet the current bills. As it is, locking up families inside for this long is going to have been hard on a lot of folks.

C-2

Reaction score
Private school here in SoCal; was scheduled to re-open but cannot due to Newsom's order.

The entire student body (K-12) was 900 kids, after the pandemic started the school received 750 new applications and is filled to capacity. But, the Gov's order makes private a moot point, so I imagine there will be a flood of people dis-enrolling.

The school is immune to Trump's threat about defunding since they don't receive any money from the feds, or the state. But, they cannot ignore health orders.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Fall quarter they voted fucking ridiculous the teachers union was throwing a fit about safety concerns fuck them ! What a fucking joke total liberal school board just like most CCSD fuck them all no concerns for support staff getting totally screwed. Most important the kids are the one suffering they need that social interaction something other than staring at a phone!!!!

The superintendents plan was two days on one off for cleaning then to more days he got totally shut down sad......

And I don't want to here the bullshit covid excuse 80% of people testing now show no symptoms or very mild and we don't even know if half the positives are true fucking sad way to go dems promote that fear %%(&-<#&:;#= off!!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Dealing with it also. My kid was already in a private school here in the Sacramento area but that doesn't help if Gov Nuisance shuts them all down. Part of what I expect and pay for from the school is to house the kid while I am at work. That has been part of the deal since the beginning with private preschool.
I can work from home and we did that spring and early summer but the wife and I need to still work. I am not trained to be a kindergarten teacher....... I cannot park him in front of a computer with limited supervision like you can a high schooler. I am the only person in my office down town right now. I am here because my son's school is about a mile away and are 28 miles from home.
The real rub at the moment is that both my employer and I would much rather me work from home currently. However my son really needs the interaction, structure, and learning provided by his daycare / school.

I'm in a tough spot on this one.

81Sprint

Reaction score
my wife is a resource teacher for CCSD, she thinks she will get laid off. My daughter is starting junior high this year and is super bummed.

hawgty55

Reaction score
School here in parker county texas is starting school as planned with your choice of regular school (with masks for grades 5th and up as of now hopefully that will change) and other option to stay home and Skype or whatever BS they call it!

Hypnautic

Reaction score
We are here in Henderson too.
The two day a week deal was bullshit and now 100% distant learning is beyond incomprehensible.
We jumped looking into private. $7-10k for each (x2) plus daughter going to college. Good new is I can swing it, bad news is I pay for private and then they get shut down too. So I would be in the same spot only $15-20k lite in the pocket.
GA and OR I understand are open for school based upon parents choice in type on learning environment. Thought about moving kids to relatives there but their both Sophomores!?! I’m sure I would get death threats from my own kids if I did that.
So now. It’s HomeDepot and Apple time. Convert one of our guest rooms into a class room. Two new desks with a wall partition, some new Mac books and a tutor.

hallett21

Reaction score
Here’s a non parent and worthless perspective.

I’ve read over the years that the public school system is indoctrinating liberal agendas.

Not to be a glass half full kind of guy but sounds like this is the perfect time to educate your kids the way you see fit.

This is hard on a lot of families just trying to add a little humor. 👍🏻

Nordie

Reaction score
Without getting political...

Nevada has been at the lowest level of education for a long time. Shit, look at my grammar, I'm a victim of the CCSD education program. What pisses me off is Sisolak cut more funding to the schools, but somehow I started a project last week that is an elementary school remodel. In fact our company picked up 4 new school jobs. I get it the funding was there when these projects were bid, but now they're going to sit empty. Millions of dollars wasted. I wish I could talk my wife into moving.

My step daughter will be a senior this year, do maybe we can GTFO of here soon.

Nordie

Reaction score

I’ve read over the years that the public school system is indoctrinating liberal agendas.

Not to be a glass half full kind of guy but sounds like this is the perfect time to educate your kids the way you see fit.

This is hard on a lot of families just trying to add a little humor. 👍🏻

This is true actually.

When I went to high school the teachers were not allowed to have their opinions on politics while teaching. Their job was to teach. Now all bets are off and it is pretty much pushed on the kids. My step daughter tells me about this all of the time, it's pretty frustrating to hear about.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
The wife and I are in the same boat. We both work for the same company. I'm an executive she works in the accounting dept. Company does not want to allow staff to work from home for a number of reasons. We are a healthcare provider.

My kids are 10 and 6 almost 7 in a few months.

We are not comfortable putting the kids and the YMCA with 100 other kids. The parks and rec might offer something but they do not know what. But one thing is for sure, they are not going to teach our kids. Only make sure they Zoom in when they need to.

Its a messed up situation. What do they expect parents to do when they both work and can't work from home? Not many good options other than one parent taking a leave and staying home. We really don't want our kids to fall behind which they will already given what's going on.

Wife is meeting with her boss today to see what the options are. Even with my position I can't really get involved nor do I want to. I don't want to stay home with the kids, I have two branches to oversee.

Puts us and the company is a very weird position.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Lol lets see how well this works out for them..... 😂 😂 😂

If they can manage it, fire the teachers and sell the palatial school real estate & cut the property taxes... 😂 😂 😂

buck35

Reaction score
This deal is very contagious they say. Just how many high ranking old politicians have come down or succumbed to it? None I'm aware of......

Edit, politicians period.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Private school here but shut down (CA). The online option they are doing isn’t half bad. Fully engaged live learning, no offline assignments. I already worked from home all but 2 days a week but now 100% home. Since the program requires no parental oversight, I’m good with it but I know they do need social interaction growing up. This will come eventually.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
This deal is very contagious they say. Just how many high ranking old politicians have come down or succumbed to it? None I'm aware of......

Edit, politicians period.

How about grocery workers that have the entire neighborhood population run through them at least 1 time a week.

Hypnautic

Reaction score

This is hard on a lot of families just trying to add a little humor. [emoji1303]

Yes, somewhat true but they will bow and break when confronted.

True example.

Daughter played HD Girls Flag Football. She proudly wears here Trump shirt to a practice only to get shitty side comments from a coach. So my daughter stands up to her and asks why the comments? Coach goes in with, you support blah blah cause your parents are Trumpsters etc...

Daughter did not argue with Coach and apologized for the Coach that they had such a narrow view for being so “open and liberal”.

Well that didn’t go well here at home. So at school next morning. Principal, VP, counselor and Coach all called in for our rant. They all got an earful to the point security was called if I didn’t settle down.

They were surprised to learn that we took our kids to 3 democratic rally’s and two republican rally’s so they could hear and make their own decisions. Fancy that!

Coach (female and gay) wrote my Daughter an apology letter.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
So, it seems the teacher's unions are telling the school districts that it is too dangerous to be back in school. The teachers have the same rights as everyone so they can
take the option of unemployment benefits instead of going to work. Let the teachers who want to work do their jobs or accept the reality that the rest of us live by. The
unions have a liberal agenda, also those teachers who do not want to be essential employees should lose their benefits just like a retail or grocery worker would.
At this time in Chandler Az they are offering 3 choices, full attendance, partial, and full remote studies. My family has chosen full attendance, my daughter wants to
attend and I have zero concerns about health issues. My thoughts are my daughter will get the education we pay taxes for and the best way is in person learning.
85% of the population is at work like normal, it's not dangerous. We cannot allow the public employee unions to enforce their anti Trump agenda.
As you might guess, I'm over this PLANDEMIC and tired of the liberal lies.......

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Without getting political...

Nevada has been at the lowest level of education for a long time. Shit, look at my grammar, I'm a victim of the CCSD education program. What pisses me off is Sisolak cut more funding to the schools, but somehow I started a project last week that is an elementary school remodel. In fact our company picked up 4 new school jobs. I get it the funding was there when these projects were bid, but now they're going to sit empty. Millions of dollars wasted. I wish I could talk my wife into moving.

My step daughter will be a senior this year, do maybe we can GTFO of here soon.

I’m sure you know this but.
The district is graded as a whole. From Private, magnate and academy schools down to Title 1 schools. Scores are so bad in these inner city schools that it drags the entire district down. (Kinda like Clark County turned NV Blue when the balance of the state was mostly red—just to throw some politics back in. [emoji1531])

My Daughter went to Foothill high school for two years then moved to Nevada State HS. She graduated with a 4.0 no weighted GPA and received her HS Diploma and Associates degree at the same time.
NV State HS is already set up with distant learning and for in person classes—those are done at the Jr College.
This is the route we are going with the twins. Just need to get them through their Sophomore year so they can transfer.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My daughter and her husband have had it with both public and private schools. Their children (going into 10th and 8th grade respectively) will be home schooled, each with a private tutor starting the first week of August. Problem solved -- expensive yes, unfortunately not an option for most people.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
We are here in Henderson too.
The two day a week deal was bullshit and now 100% distant learning is beyond incomprehensible.
We jumped looking into private. $7-10k for each (x2) plus daughter going to college. Good new is I can swing it, bad news is I pay for private and then they get shut down too. So I would be in the same spot only $15-20k lite in the pocket.
GA and OR I understand are open for school based upon parents choice in type on learning environment. Thought about moving kids to relatives there but their both Sophomores!?! I’m sure I would get death threats from my own kids if I did that.
So now. It’s HomeDepot and Apple time. Convert one of our guest rooms into a class room. Two new desks with a wall partition, some new Mac books and a tutor.

Have you heard anything about our Gov. Sissylak shutting down private schools? I haven't heard that yet. Hope your meaning if.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Have you heard anything about our Gov. Sissylak shutting down private schools? I haven't heard that yet. Hope your meaning if.

I do not know for certain if private schools are getting shut down. I speculate they will. How can they justify its “not safe” in public if it is “safe” in private.
We talked to schools from Lake Mead Christian Academy to Faith Lutheran on the other side of town and each school brought up the same concern to us.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Collin County, TX. Starting on time. Choice of in-person or online learning. After each grade checkin (9 weeks), you can change your choice. So far 70% of our elementary school is going to be in-person (masks, social distancing, etc.). After school activities will be available to all students no matter your choice. Wife is homemaker, so we chose online for now. We’re new here and it sucks making this choice.

Dettom

Reaction score
The whole reason they’re doing this is So parents can’t go back to work. It’s a back door method of fucking the economy to fuck the Bad Orange Man.

Sherpa

Reaction score
if there was ever a time for this, now is it: state-payed vouchers for private school.. and by that, I would hope the private schools would be able to say a big
F.U. the the health orders by having the students be members of a private institution......... but then again, maybe libs run most of them anyway.

--Sherpa

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Newscum will keep pushing his liberal views until November 3rd, then magically, the virus will be manageable. With more people not being able to work, means more votes for his liberal agendas.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The whole reason they’re doing this is So parents can’t go back to work. It’s a back door method of fucking the economy to fuck the Bad Orange Man.

Exactly, YOU can work, but TEACHERS can't.... :rolleyes:

C-2

Reaction score
Wow, our private school says they are opening, on-campus classes starting Sept 1! (Riverside, CA) My daughter is a senior this year, so she is super pumped. Fingers crossed.

DLC

Reaction score
Lay off all the teachers, break the union! Think of all the money the tax payer will save...no more striking teachers and golden retirement packages and don’t renew the $600 free be unemployment bonus Deal....

I don’t have kids so it’s easy for me, we all have been paying taxes for years into one more black hole of a system... It needs to be revamped

Meaney77

Reaction score
It’s refreshing to read everyone’s point of view on this and know that we’re all going through the same bullshit.

My wife lost her job when all this first came out. She knew her company was looking at outsourcing work but gave a 2-3 year window. This plandemic expedited the process and she lost her job in June after working for the company for over 12 years.

We also received word that Ventura County schools will be doing 100% distant learning next year. My wife is freaking out because not only does she have to worry about educating three kids, she’s struggling with the fact of how she supposed to try and find a new job. She has never not worked and isn’t the stay at home mom type. We have three girls and want things to return to normal. We as parents feel that the kids need to return to some normalcy, return to school, have teacher interaction along with student interaction etc. We also looked at the whole private school deal along with Temporarily moving out of state where schools are going back to normal.

I already said that if she’s not working and if the kids are doing distant learning this year we’re gonna make the best of it by learning on the road hopefully planning some cool road trips and making the best of it.

Meaney77

Reaction score
And not to get totally conspiracy theorist on this, but It’s hard not to when you read shit like this....I work in Bio Pharma Industry and this goes against everything.
My company has already told us that staff won’t be returning until January 2021.

1595781423939.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My kids got a half hour zoom session every day with their teacher last year. Then it was on me to handle getting the packets that they handed out completed. Pure busy work but I had to make sure it got done. It was horrible and my kids learned nothing.

I would be ok with the distance learning thing if the teachers actually put forth an effort but 30 minutes and have a great day was a joke. If my wife and I didn't have jobs I could see this working out but that's not the case and I don't have time to do both.

There has to be something better. We are doing a hybrid once the numbers go down but are stuck distance until the new some order is changed.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I love that it's safe for private schools but public schools are to dangerous ! There will never be a bigger divide in economical class then after this . Parents with financial means will find a way to educate there children . It will be very sad

gqchris

Reaction score
Daughter goes private here in OC. Close to 1k a month. The remote shit was a joke. If they dont open up they are shooting themselves in the foot. They are still on the fence it seems.