WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ceiling fan install question

East Wood

Reaction score
Alright gents, installing a ceiling fan. Last fan had a light kit with two switches one for fan one for light so the house has a white, black, bare ground and red wire coming from the ceiling. New fan only has white and black. What do I do with the red wire? Wire nut red wire and the switch is null and void ? Or do I splice it with the black?

If I wire nut the red to cap it off and one of my kids hits the switch will there be a problem if it sends voltage ?

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
If you don’t want to use the switch that controls the red wire, then cap it off with a wire nut like you said. You could add some tape to the wire nut to insure the nut don’t come off when you are putting it all back together. Will not be a problem if the switch gets turned on as long as it is capped off.

East Wood

Reaction score
If you don’t want to use the switch that controls the red wire, then cap it off with a wire nut like you said. You could add some tape to the wire nut to insure the nut don’t come off when you are putting it all back together. Will not be a problem if the switch gets turned on as long as it is capped off.
Thank you sir much appreciated

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Does the new fan have a specialty on/off/light/fan switch?

A wire nut is fine, but you could also disconnect the red wire from the switch also. Cap it in the switch box.

East Wood

Reaction score
it has a remote and a wire harness for white and blue on the underside of the fan. this fan kicked my ass, vaulted ceiling but i capped the red wire and all worked fine.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Does the new fan have a specialty on/off/light/fan switch?

A wire nut is fine, but you could also disconnect the red wire from the switch also. Cap it in the switch box.
If you are doing this remove the switch completely and install a block off filler... Otherwise leave it as is and cap in the box. It creates a mess down the road when trying to trace wires or when selling and you get an inspector who has no business doing inspections who will flag a switch as "inoperable" (no shit it doesn't work for anything lol). Almost all new fans even w/ a light kit are a single switch two wire install as they have remotes. On flips/reno's etc we clip the red so there is no exposed copper, cap it and stuff it in box. Depending on if its my deal, or a clients project its up to them but I like to use the block of and pull the switch. as its highly unlikely to ever be used again.

East Wood

Reaction score
I finally finished sunday night. the same circuit for the fan is used for living room can lights so I was installing this thing with a headlamp and my wife holding a flashlight (of course she was shining it right in my face) because it was dark outside. Mounting a fan in a vaulted ceiling was not fun, arms felt like noodles when I was done.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Always good Electrician content on RDP. Seems“TABOMA” mia lately,always solid content. Maybe just taking a break.