WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ceiling fans

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Soo we moved into a new to us house a few weeks ago and the damn ceiling fan in the living room is off balance and makes a horrible ticking noise. Has anyone had any luck balancing the fan blades?

It blows my mind because the same exact fan is in the dining room and our master, both of those are silent and don't move at all! All 3 fans are mounted an the same ceiling pitch as well, variables are all the same.

I'm sure I will have more little things to fix or tune up over the next few months, hell years! We love home ownership though

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I would check to make sure it’s mounted securely first. Seen a fan mounted to a regular junction box not braced for a fan.

petie6464

Reaction score
You can try switching the blades around, its a guessing game but sometimes it works. They sell small sick on weights, again a guessing game but with patience I have gotten many a wobbling fan to behave. I personally use small washers and masking tape to try and find what blade wants weight and just go that way. Maybe one day they will fly off and break something but so far so good.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
You can try switching the blades around, its a guessing game but sometimes it works. They sell small sick on weights, again a guessing game but with patience I have gotten many a wobbling fan to behave. I personally use small washers and masking tape to try and find what blade wants weight and just go that way. Maybe one day they will fly off and break something but so far so good.
Used to scotch tape a coin on the blade(s).

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
What I usually do is hold a tape measure stationary off the ceiling and turn the blades to the tape and get them all the same height by bending them a little. This usually takes the problem away sometimes when assembled the arms of the blade are not screwed all the way down and it creates the out of balance or the blade arms are just wonky.

Good luck

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
They sell stick on weights for this, or the come with a new fan. There is usually a little clamp on weight to see what blade has the imbalance.

lantz

Reaction score
Soo we moved into a new to us house a few weeks ago and the damn ceiling fan in the living room is off balance and makes a horrible ticking noise. Has anyone had any luck balancing the fan blades?

It blows my mind because the same exact fan is in the dining room and our master, both of those are silent and don't move at all! All 3 fans are mounted an the same ceiling pitch as well, variables are all the same.

I'm sure I will have more little things to fix or tune up over the next few months, hell years! We love home ownership though
Check that all the blades are tight and that you haven't lost a mounting bolt for one of them

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Start at 0:45 of this video

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
Make sure the mounting bracket, arms, and blades are all tight. Then balance.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Not if, but when, that coin is going to become a projectile :oops:
Had a family room fan spinning pretty good one day when a quarter let go, damn, that thing hit the wall hard. 😂 Glad it didn't hit anybody in the head. 🤕
There is that possibility 😁 Don't use cheap tape.
Stick on weights come unglued just the same.
Seen a few nickels on blades that looked like they'd been there decades.

Taboma

Reaction score
There is that possibility 😁 Don't use cheap tape.
Stick on weights come unglued just the same.
Seen a few nickels on blades that looked like they'd been there decades.

Funny how temporary fixes get lost in the rush of our life clocks, then a few or even many years later, a loud WHACK, followed with WTF was that ?
A bit of proper cleaning prep and a packing tape, or 3M double sided tape, or Goop, will all last, right up until they don't ---- RPM matters 😂