WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ceiling speaker cables

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I am planning on putting 4 of these in a room / home gym. What type of cables do I need to buy? The terminals on the speakers look like they are a press fit, where you just insert a stripped end of a speaker cable? It has an IN and an OUT.... is that to chain them together? or should they be wired individually? and lastly, what gauge wire should I be using? The runs will be about 25-30' from the receiver.

IMG_6920.jpg
IMG_6921.jpg

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I would use 12ga since it will likely be a fairly long run. Doubt you’re running a ton of power so you could get away with 14 but I would use 12.

those inputs accept bare wire or banana plugs

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys

Do I run a set of wires to each speaker individually? or do you use the IN/OUT? Pretty sure these are RIGHT / LEFT speakers, so I am not sure if that takes any special wiring.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Separate if you can. If you run the them together you’ll cut the Impedance in half. You’ll also lose any stereo separation in songs unless you are running 4 speakers then do 2 and 2. If it’s just 2 run them separate.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Separate if you can. If you run the them together you’ll cut the Impedance in half. You’ll also lose any stereo separation in songs unless you are 4 then do 2 and 2. If it’s just 2 run them separate.

thanks

Running 4 total speakers, so I can do 2 L and 2R.... still better to run them all separate and make the connections at the receiver? or no difference if I string 2 & 2 together.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Homerun 16 gauge speaker wire from the amp to each speaker. If you only do a two channel amp for now you can parallel them at the amp

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Dude what kind of speaker is that? That is the most complicated looking back of a speaker I have ever seen!!! LOL

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Assuming you are running them off of a stereo receiver. If it’s a mono amp then It doesn’t matter as long as the impedance isn’t too low.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
still do not have the amp / receiver picked out yet. wanting it to be used as a stereo (just listening to music in the gym) not needing it to have any surround sound.

spectracular

Reaction score
14ga. Look for UL Rated if you will have the work inspected. Mono price is your friend. Individual runs is what I’d do.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Looking at your speaker closer that’s a dual voice coil speaker. You wouldn’t normally use these where you’ll have multiple speakers in a room (usually used in a closet). That’s why they have two sets of terminals.

If possible I would get different speakers or if not you will want to parallel the two sets of terminals on that speaker together. Depending upon the impedance you may end up with 4ohms from each speaker which would limit your ability to parallel the 4 speakers (8 voice coils) onto a 2ch amp.

As for 14 vs 16ga wire. For the power you’ll be using and the length 16 would be fine. 14 is better but not necessary.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Just zoomed in on the speakers. They dual voice coil. Kinda unusual for a speaker . Mostly subs are dvc.

anyways you want to pull the manual. You probably need a jumper from in to out on each speaker for the second coil.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Just zoomed in on the speakers. They dual voice coil. Kinda unusual for a speaker . Mostly subs are dvc.

anyways you want to pull the manual. You probably need a jumper from in to out on each speaker for the second coil.
Yeah these are marketed in the home audio world as ‘stereo’ speakers. They have two tweeters set at different angles to try and mimic stereo audio. (Doesn’t work real well IMHO)

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Looking at your speaker closer that’s a dual voice coil speaker. You wouldn’t normally use these where you’ll have multiple speakers in a room (usually used in a closet). That’s why they have two sets of terminals.

If possible I would get different speakers or if not you will want to parallel the two sets of terminals on that speaker together. Depending upon the impedance you may end up with 4ohms from each speaker which would limit your ability to parallel the 4 speakers (8 voice coils) onto a 2ch amp.

As for 14 vs 16ga wire. For the power you’ll be using and the length 16 would be fine. 14 is better but not necessary.

things just got more complicated lol

I wonder if I grabbed the wrong speakers.... I have about 14 of these, but I know two of them were actual "stereo" that were used in bathrooms.... the rest were supposed to be true R/L speakers used throughout a house.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
things just got more complicated lol

I wonder if I grabbed the wrong speakers.... I have about 14 of these, but I know two of them were actual "stereo" that were used in bathrooms.... the rest were supposed to be true R/L speakers used throughout a house.
Ha ha, you can definitely still use those. I would just plan to jumper the two terminals together

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Ha ha, you can definitely still use those. I would just plan to jumper the two terminals together

okay I must have accidentally grabbed one of the stereo speakers. The majority of the speakers I have are like these below.

So just do individual runs to each of the 4 speakers w/ 14ga wire?

IMG_4522.jpeg

Jay Dub

Reaction score
14gauge in wall would be fine. yes check mono price and amazon. wiring will depend on the amp you are using. If you have a four channel (or greater) amp you would run separate wiring for each speaker. You may be able to run these on a two channel but you would have to calculate the impedance presented to the amp. Your speakers being DVC (dual voice coil) makes this slightly more involved. You could also run two sets of wires then parallel the other two speakers. This would be "two lefts" and "two rights".

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Yep, easy

Thanks for the help.... and to keep from starting another thread.... when it comes time to getting an amp/receiver.

Should I be looking for a 2 channel or 4?

The only thing I might add in the future would be a woofer.... and possibly add 2 more speakers in the room next door.

spectracular

Reaction score
More channels the merrier. It will give you more flexibility if you have more to work with. You could run a bathroom off of 1 channel and a gym off of another and a kitchen with a third and so on. You do want to keep an eye on the impedance you put on the amp, but honestly unless you are really trying to rock out it won’t matter too much. Just try to keep your options open.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
More channels the merrier. It will give you more flexibility if you have more to work with. You could run a bathroom off of 1 channel and a gym off of another and a kitchen with a third and so on. You do want to keep an eye on the impedance you put on the amp, but honestly unless you are really trying to rock out it won’t matter too much. Just try to keep your options open.

Thank you for the feedback! definitely looking to rock out, but max is 4 speakers and a sub. eventually maybe add 2 more speakers.

do "channels" just allow you to control different zone volumes? or more so to select different inputs?

spectracular

Reaction score
A channel will provide you with x watts of power. A channel will control the volume of the speakers hooked up to it. You could have 1 speaker or 10 hooked up to a single channel (if you are careful). All speakers on a channel will usually play at the same volume. Usually, the more speakers you put on a channel, the harder the amp works. If you want to go loud...you do not want to bury your amp with too many speakers per channel. Indont think I’d go for more than 4 per channel if you want to go loud. You can wire in multiple volume controls on a single channel, but you have to run more wire. Alternately you can use the different zones in the receiver to control the volume as well.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
It really depends upon how you are planning to separate your zones. Are they all playing separate sources or is everything playing one source? I think your original thread was about just doing 4 speakers in the gym that was standalone from everything else? If that is still the case I would do a 4CH amp just for the gym.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
It really depends upon how you are planning to separate your zones. Are they all playing separate sources or is everything playing one source? I think your original thread was about just doing 4 speakers in the gym that was standalone from everything else? If that is still the case I would do a 4CH amp just for the gym.

they will only be playing one source, either bluetooth music from the phone... or a music app from a smart TV. But never really need it to play 2 different sources at the same time. They gym will be the 4 speakers, with hopefully a woofer at some point. Down the road, maybe add 2 speakers in the room next door..... but everything stays the same as far as one source. The only flexibility I might need at that point is to have one room play at a different volume than the other, but that is also not a must!

To give you an idea, the gym area is in a portion of my detached garage. Eventually might want to add the other 2 speakers to the rest of the garage. Mainly just to listen to music when I'm working on something.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Get a 6+Ch amp, you may be able to find one with volume knobs on the front that would let you adjust the volume. Worst case, you put in a volume control knob for 'zone 2'

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Get a 6+Ch amp, you may be able to find one with volume knobs on the front that would let you adjust the volume. Worst case, you put in a volume control knob for 'zone 2'

bump. These speakers have a bass and tweeter setting on the speaker itself. What should I adjust these to? Listening strictly to music... mostly rock and some house/rap here and there.
05EB9B82-14D6-462B-8DB2-45CC8010AC86.jpeg

jones performance

Reaction score
wow those are some old speakers.. true sound doesnt have the info for that line on their site anymore. only info i could find was from 2007.

im sure whatever sub fits your room will work fine wtih them.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
wow those are some old speakers.. true sound doesnt have the info for that line on their site anymore. only info i could find was from 2007.

im sure whatever sub fits your room will work fine wtih them.

yeah they were pulled out of my buddies house when he upgraded.... but they still sounded great. I think a lot of speaker brands went away around 2007-2010

They've been sitting in my garage for about 4 yrs haha