WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cell phone repair Guru needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have a Moto 6 that just decided to quit working with no warning. It won't turn on and when you plug it into the wall or the computer it makes no sound like it used to. Even the computer doesn't recognize that something has been plugged in to it.
I have already replaced the phone but all of the pictures were stored on the phone itself. Changing the SIM card into the new phone transferred 8 pics out of a couple hundred. Is there any way to retrieve these? The back is glass and glued on so it isn't real easy to access the inside. I am a high school teacher who has been receiving student work by text at times and I really need to get this stuff retrieved if possible real quick.

Halvecto

Reaction score
Same. 😡

I have my HTC Android at a phone repair tech right now for the similar deal. No answer from them yet.

Unplugged from charger, pushed a button and the screen flashed and died. Won't power up at all. I was auto-syncing the pictures to my computer, so most are there, but the text messages were not.

For future, I am told there is a SMS backup app that somehow saves to the cloud and will allow portability of text messages.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of students are going to pass your class,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HitIt

Reaction score
If you are in for a long shot (after exhausting other options), try throwing it in the freezer for a while and then plugging it in. If that doesn't work, try heating it up and then plugging it in. You can also try to slightly flex the phone in various ways to get it to work. Sometimes, one of the solder joints on one the parts on the PCB will pop loose and either the thermal expansion/contraction or mechanical deformation can get it to temporarily make contact again. It is usually short lived so be ready to grab the data from the computer. If one of the ICs failed, you are screwed though.

Spot

Reaction score
Where are you located? Search local phone repair shops.

traquer

Reaction score
Where are you located? Search local phone repair shops.
Yes but make sure they guys working there look like they know what they're doing. A mom and pop versus a chain would be my recommendation.

PlumLoco

Reaction score
I think it is a battery issue. It used to charge very rapidly but not so much lately. I know it was low on battery at the time. Had not looked at it since Tuesday night. Then it rang Wednesday morning. I finished the call normally and I hung up. Went to use it less than 5 minutes later and I get nothing.

@fishing fool you have no idea how much pressure we are under to graduate them all. The State wants zero kids to be able to say that they were penalized in any way by the shut down. But I did manage to maintain some standards and only 4 of 18 didn't make it. 2 that didn't just went MIA the entire time (family probably went to Mexico) and 1 of those 4 had just delivered a 1 lb baby at 29 weeks in late March. She is still on ordered bed rest and has bigger worries than an on time graduation. Hopefully she will come back as a fifth year senior. Yeah, we do that.

rrrr

Reaction score
My Moto 6 started doing the same thing, running one or two minutes on a charged battery then rolling over. I bought a Moto 7, and since I'm running Google backup I just turned on the new phone, logged into my account, and thirty minutes later everything was on the new phone, including apps.

Ummm, I'm guessing you aren't running backups. :OO:

Nordie

Reaction score
Is it a micro usb charging port? If so I used to have a pretty big issue with this stuff with my Samsung phones. I would go into the usb port on the phone with an xacto blade and scrape out all of the stuff (pocket lint). Anyhow I would clean out that port and then blow it out with an air compressor. Then boom it would atleast start charging again, and if that's the case it will start talking to your PC again once plugged in. It's atleast worth a shot.

PlumLoco

Reaction score
Is it a micro usb charging port? If so I used to have a pretty big issue with this stuff with my Samsung phones. I would go into the usb port on the phone with an xacto blade and scrape out all of the stuff (pocket lint). Anyhow I would clean out that port and then blow it out with an air compressor. Then boom it would atleast start charging again, and if that's the case it will start talking to your PC again once plugged in. It's atleast worth a shot.
Yeah the girl at the TMobile store spent quite a while with some cleaning solution and a tiny wire cleaning out the charging port. It didn't change anything but I think that is the cause of the shut down. But to simply change the battery is a big pain.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
One thing I did to try not loosing files is to set up photos and certain delicate files to automatically go onto the sd card instead of the phones internal storage.
I sure hope you can retrieve the data you need.
It saddens me to hear you have that kind of pressure to pass them all but happy to hear you did all you could to uphold some standards.
Sounds like our system is trying to protect those who are keeping us down....a very democratic CYA move imo, and I'm very unmotivated by politics kinda guy.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Put a battery in it, get one off flea bay, just a cheepo. All it needs to do is power it up for 10 minutes while you back it up.

Had this happen on several phones, when the batteries die they won't even turn on, it's like they short internally.

PlumLoco

Reaction score
Put a battery in it, get one off flea bay, just a cheepo. All it needs to do is power it up for 10 minutes while you back it up.

Had this happen on several phones, when the batteries die they won't even turn on, it's like they short internally.

That is the plan I'm working on now. Just got a few more YouTube vids to watch. But damm the insides are so tiny and delicate looking.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
That is the plan I'm working on now. Just got a few more YouTube vids to watch. But damm the insides are so tiny and delicate looking.

That they are! It's a little intimidating, but just get a few quality tools and watch the vids a few times to get comfortable with what you are doing. It's easier once you crack into it! If you can pick up a pair of the old timer magnifier googles, they help immensely!

I remember these from I think science class as a kid : https://www.jewelrysupply.com/OptiV...MI_o69j97K6QIVaR-tBh2f5wUyEAQYCSABEgKDGvD_BwE

But they have better and cheaper now too at Sears : https://www.sears.com/search=headband magnifying glass

Status
Not open for further replies.